RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ugly Situation At Kansas State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/27/14 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Now Romero has Donald Jackson as a lawyer, who specializes in sports law. Who's paying him? Surely this isn't a damages case where he can collect a big contingency fee, unless his legal theory is based in antitrust law where treble damages are sometimes available. Such a case would take many years to litigate.

Two words: pro bono.

Yes, that's the only thing that makes sense. Plus, it gets him publicity.

Just noticed something in one of the Mercury articles that makes me question whether attorney Donald Jackson is working pro bono.

"said Jackson, who told The Mercury financial arrangements have been made by Romero and her family in exchange for his services."

Romero's family in Spain wouldn't have to be involved in any "financial arrangements", or at all, if Jackson is representing Romero pro bono. Leticia is of legal age--18 going on 19 in two days--to retain an attorney, pro bono or otherwise. I can't off-hand think of any reason why Jackson would involve her parents unless they have agreed to pay for his services.

I wonder if any reporter has inquired into the financial strength of Romero's family. That is relevant to the issue of whether she can afford to pay for a sit-out year without an athletic scholarship.

To me, what's relevant is that Kansas State, for no apparent reason, is jerking around a young woman who has done nothing to them except give them a very good year of basketball and now wants to leave.

Even if Romero could afford a Porsche and an apartment in Manhattan, the fact that KSU can do what it's doing, with no recourse for Romero but going to court, is an indictment of that university, and really, the entire system.

PostPosted: 05/27/14 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like KSU has found a way out of this mess by simply "modifying" their policy.

http://inagist.com/all/471320400484237312/Kansas-State-announces-it-has-granted-release-of--Leticia-Romero-under-schools-new-policy.-She-cant-transfer-to-a-Big-12-school

This way the AD can continue to say he acted correctly (within the policy).

Good luck to Romero. Hope she lands in a good spot.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 05/27/14 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it's over. KSU is letting her go after all the great publicity it has gotten.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10990040/leticia-romero-allowed-transfer-kansas-state

The Pac-12 awaits.

PostPosted: 05/27/14 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
Well, it's over. KSU is letting her go after all the great publicity it has gotten.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10990040/leticia-romero-allowed-transfer-kansas-state

The Pac-12 awaits.

It's about damn time! I was beginning to think Anonymous was going to have to jump in! Twisted Evil

Good luck to Leti wherever she lands!

Oh, and as my Irish ancestors would say, bad cess to Currie and the KSU appeals board. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 05/27/14 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad K-State finally did the right thing, although they did so only under media and public pressure. All those sacred and immutable policies and procedures that last week tied their hands simply went away this week, because the university "modified" the procedures and applied the modification retroactively. It was that simple once they realized that the Romero issue was not going away.

PostPosted: 05/27/14 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hurrah! Just in time for Leti's 19th birthday tomorrow! Very Happy Very Happy

MBR_CT33

PostPosted: 05/27/14 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Free at last, free at last, Thank God almighty Laticia is free at last!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/27/14 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So . . . what is KSU's "newly revised institutional policy"? I don't see any of the reports so far specifying what changed.

It's also a little difficult to believe the release would allow Romero to go to Northern Colorado, given all the supposed concern about tampering. But who really knows, unless someone makes the official release letter public.

Romero wasn't going to go to a Big 12 school in any event. Rule 6.3 of the B12 bylaws mandates that intra-conference transfers must forfeit one year of NCAA eligibility.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/27/14 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
So . . . what is KSU's "newly revised institutional policy"? I don't see any of the reports so far specifying what changed.

It's also a little difficult to believe the release would allow Romero to go to Northern Colorado, given all the supposed concern about tampering. But who really knows, unless someone makes the official release letter public.

Romero wasn't going to go to a Big 12 school in any event. Rule 6.3 of the B12 bylaws mandates that intra-conference transfers must forfeit one year of NCAA eligibility.

It's called "we cave under pressure and public scrutiny". /snark

PostPosted: 05/27/14 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bout damn time Confused Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/27/14 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Haha. Well, I was looking for a legal answer not a truthful one. I leave it to the lawyers and journalists to explain the difference.
ksuwbbfan

PostPosted: 05/27/14 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Little did I know when I started this thread on April 15 that it would take this long to resolve the situation. Good luck to Leti. She should never have had to go through all of this.

beknighted

PostPosted: 05/27/14 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Haha. Well, I was looking for a legal answer not a truthful one. I leave it to the lawyers and journalists to explain the difference.

I'm going to guess that it reverses the supposed presumption against permitting a transfer. I also am curious if the exclusion list is really just B12 schools or if Northern Colorado is on it, although my guess is that she can do better than that.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 05/27/14 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

In layman's terms the AD has the ability to reverse or amend his/her decision if new evidence comes to light -- I think there is a time limit like 15 days after the appeal or something or something. It was applied retro-active to this situation.

They were, IMO, smart not to include Northern Colorado -- they don't need to look MORE petty and if she were to end up there it only vindicates KSU after coaches and Leti said she was going elsewhere.

I don't understand why they didn't do this sooner once it was clear the relationship was broken (change the policy and let her go).

Leti is good but she isn't Maya or Candace or even Diamond - a team isn't winning the Natty on her back.

Where would she go that would hurt KSU with the Big 12 blocked (totally reasonable under this and most circumstances)?

So what if an ex assistant wound up at the same school (and I highly doubt any of the resumed assistants were shopping Leti -- zero need to do so) -- as mentioned that school wasn't likely to threaten the KSU season and that occurrence would ONLY vindicate KSU and bump them right up to the high road. Forever going forward they would have been able to deny on the basis of "remember the Romero situation."

PostPosted: 05/28/14 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read on another board that KSU received some thousands of e-mails about this, and that Jay Bilas had encouraged his listeners to e-mail all the parties concerned, so I think my assessment is at least partially correct. I don't think they liked the negative publicity ONE LITTLE BIT. I think they may underestimate how it will play with fans for several years to come, and may hurt their recruiting for awhile, too. I could be wrong there, but certainly if I were the parent of a girl being contacted by KSU, I would probably put that letter in the "NO" pile and not return those phone calls or tweets, and would talk to my daughter about what they did to Leti. They may claim to have changed their policy, but look what it took..

PostPosted: 05/28/14 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any ideas where she'll land?

PostPosted: 05/28/14 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I read on another board that KSU received some thousands of e-mails about this, and that Jay Bilas had encouraged his listeners to e-mail all the parties concerned, so I think my assessment is at least partially correct. I don't think they liked the negative publicity ONE LITTLE BIT. I think they may underestimate how it will play with fans for several years to come, and may hurt their recruiting for awhile, too. I could be wrong there, but certainly if I were the parent of a girl being contacted by KSU, I would probably put that letter in the "NO" pile and not return those phone calls or tweets, and would talk to my daughter about what they did to Leti. They may claim to have changed their policy, but look what it took..

Oh I definitely think there was some hiding behind the flawed process they hoped would work....it didn't.

IMO the "evidence" of tampering was one or more people interpreting and relaying what they "heard." I do think it was entirely reasonable to have a tampering concern. I think it is likely comments were made and/or overheard that at minimum played into this concern. I think it is possible the comments were mis-interpreted. I also think it is possible they weren't (not involving former coaches though).

For me the real problem was in NOT meeting w/ and questioning Leti w/ the allegations prior to the AD making his decision. They seem to have presented one side of a "he said she said" as fact. The other side didn't sit quietly but put a contradicting position out in the media (which ticked off the administration and added the stubborn ego factor to the equation).

If they had tangible proof there is no way they seek to reverse or purportedly seek to reverse simply because Leti denied the accusations.

Even if there initially WAS tampering it was pretty clear very early to any objective party that KSU was in a no win situation by digging in -- this is where the ego thing got in the way.

They should have floated the tampering thing and immediately let her go. If Leti played it straight up then they simply followed what they say is their policy. If she wound up with other coaches or in an orchastrated situation then KSU becomes the sympathetic party.

PostPosted: 05/28/14 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And how many athletes have the same thing happen to them but don't have the benefit of playing a high-profile sport, or are a high-profile player with an appealing back story?

The NCAA system allows universities to control and dominate young people who have no grasp of what they're signing or how the system works. Even people in their 50s sign bad contracts -- why would we expect a 17-year-old to understand the ramifications of a contract with a university? Why won't we allow some kind of independent group to negotiate on their behalf and create a more level playing field?

The answer to the second question is obvious: The NCAA and its member universities like the system as it is, where they have the power and the players don't. And unless forced, there's no reason for them to change.

PostPosted: 05/28/14 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
And how many athletes have the same thing happen to them but don't have the benefit of playing a high-profile sport, or are a high-profile player with an appealing back story?

The NCAA system allows universities to control and dominate young people who have no grasp of what they're signing or how the system works. Even people in their 50s sign bad contracts -- why would we expect a 17-year-old to understand the ramifications of a contract with a university? Why won't we allow some kind of independent group to negotiate on their behalf and create a more level playing field?

The answer to the second question is obvious: The NCAA and its member universities like the system as it is, where they have the power and the players don't. And unless forced, there's no reason for them to change.

It would seem that anti-trust law would be against the NCAA, but anti-trust law doesn't seem to apply to anyone any more, even those it *should* apply to.

PostPosted: 05/28/14 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Any ideas where she'll land?

It could be any of 94, I guess, but Florida State strikes me as the favorite considering they have room, a lot of transfers already, a recently successful Spaniard [Leo Rodriguez] and were on Romero's list from her original recruitment.

Quote:
Chose K-State over offers from Florida State and Virginia Tech.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 05/30/14 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, everybody toes out and extended. I'm probably going to step on a lot of them here. That said this is certainly a generalization and there are many exceptions to this trend.

It would seem to me that after Ms. Romero's recent experience, she might want to really look for schools where personal freedom and individuality are celebrated, not restricted. Since the Big 12 is out for her, she avoids several places I now don't need to point a finger at. The northeast and the West coast schools, for the most part may allow for easier breathing than schools in the more conservative areas of our country.

All I'm sayin' Ms. R is find a school that is interested in you as a person and a student first and second. Then use it and your considerable skills to become the Ms. Romero YOU want to be.

PostPosted: 05/30/14 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
OK, everybody toes out and extended. I'm probably going to step on a lot of them here. That said this is certainly a generalization and there are many exceptions to this trend.

It would seem to me that after Ms. Romero's recent experience, she might want to really look for schools where personal freedom and individuality are celebrated, not restricted. Since the Big 12 is out for her, she avoids several places I now don't need to point a finger at. The northeast and the West coast schools, for the most part may allow for easier breathing than schools in the more conservative areas of our country.

All I'm sayin' Ms. R is find a school that is interested in you as a person and a student first and second. Then use it and your considerable skills to become the Ms. Romero YOU want to be.

If she can help, I'd love to see her come to Boston College.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/30/14 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

University of Miami.

The ACC is the best basketball conference.

Katie Meyer has international coaching experience with USAB and has sent guards into the WNBA.

Miami has a climate similar to her home in Spain.

Miami is a cosmopolitan center of concentrated Hispanic culture.
Howee

PostPosted: 05/30/14 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:

Ummm....I'm thinking Lettie already figured she had that all *nailed* when she picked K-State. Shocked These things aren't always so clearly determined. But I'm thinking that, in the past few months, she's learned a LOT more than the average incoming sophomores in most schools about such very things. Cool

PostPosted: 06/02/14 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw a tweet from a reporter here in SC that Kentucky was "in the mix" for Romero .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: