RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/14 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I think most everyone here has missed the point of the apology request.

The reason for an apology to Connecticut is another issue however. It would be for Summitt's public accusation of cheating that she made in an interview at the time Pearl was fired for lying to the NCAA. In an interview Pat said that if she cheated she should be fired and when the reporter asked if she was referring to Pearl she replied no, she wasn't thinking of men's basketball at all, she was thinking of Connecticut. That's at the very least unethical.

I'm don't find this explanation broad enough because Geno is reported to have asked for apologies to Maya and her mother. They weren't specifically mentioned in this Pat Summitt gaffe re Pearl. The insulting claims re Maya's mother were about the house and selling handbags at the UConn Co-op.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:

The reason for an apology to Connecticut is another issue however. It would be for Summitt's public accusation of cheating that she made in an interview at the time Pearl was fired for lying to the NCAA. In an interview Pat said that if she cheated she should be fired and when the reporter asked if she was referring to Pearl she replied no, she wasn't thinking of men's basketball at all, she was thinking of Connecticut. That's at the very least unethical.

I'm don't find this explanation broad enough because Geno is reported to have asked for apologies to Maya and her mother. They weren't specifically mentioned in this Pat Summitt gaffe re Pearl. The insulting claims re Maya's mother were about the house and selling handbags at the UConn Co-op.

You are correct about the Moore's but no one seems to want to discuss the public accusation of cheating which IMO was and is the 600 lb. gorilla. If the roles were reversed and Geno called Pat a cheat there would have been a firestorm in the media. But there are too many Sally Jenkins' types out in the media that worship at the Knoxville throne and believe that Pat was and is above reproach. That false POV leads them to the equally false conclusion that Geno is the villain.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/14 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:

You are correct about the Moore's but no one seems to want to discuss the public accusation of cheating which IMO was and is the 600 lb. gorilla. If the roles were reversed and Geno called Pat a cheat there would have been a firestorm in the media. But there are too many Sally Jenkins' types out in the media that worship at the Knoxville throne and believe that Pat was and is above reproach. That false POV leads them to the equally false conclusion that Geno is the villain.

If he doesn't want to play them, then don't play them. No one will care one bit.

But this hissy fit about demanding an apology for something years ago is just petty and juvenile. Get over it and move on.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/17/14 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

As to the rumor posted above that Geno made a snide suggestion to Maya Moore and her mother that Pat Summitt was a lesbian, I find that completely incredible. Geno may be sometimes crude but he's not a recruiting idiot. Why would he make an anti-lesbian comment in front of a prized recruit who, for all he knows, is a lesbian? It would be a ridiculous gamble with fatal blow-back potential. It's not credible on its face.

It would be foolish to make anti-lesbian remarks to a top recruits without knowing their sexual preference, but those types of remarks could be made after the parent or the child has left the door open by saying something like "We are good Christians and want to go to a program that upholds the Bible and supports traditional family values" or if they made a "too butch for us" remark about some coach, or something similar.

Last edited by tfan on 04/17/14 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 04/17/14 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

But this hissy fit about demanding an apology for something years ago is just petty and juvenile. Get over it and move on.

At the final four Auriemma said

"Sometimes we act like girls, like we're supposed to go to dinner every night."

I think it's time for him to "man up".

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/18/14 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a wonderful retread thread, w/ the usual suspects saying the same things they've been saying ever since I first joined a WCB forum, in 1999.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink

PostPosted: 04/18/14 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
What a wonderful retread thread, w/ the usual suspects saying the same things they've been saying ever since I first joined a WCB forum, in 1999.

I had the same feeling. (I joined in late '99). I particularly loved the one about the poster who had an unimpeachable source (probably the next door neighbor's aunt's 2nd. cousin who heard it directly from a Big East coach) that Geno was having an affair with Chris.

chienboo

PostPosted: 04/19/14 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is all BS. Christ let it go. This is all hackeneyed a old news. Lets all get a life and get on with it. Sheeesh!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/19/14 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I had the same feeling. (I joined in late '99). I particularly loved the one about the poster who had an unimpeachable source (probably the next door neighbor's aunt's 2nd. cousin who heard it directly from a Big East coach) that Geno was having an affair with Chris.

LOL. I have no idea what Dailey's idea of a romantic match would be, but that strikes me as about as likely as Geno having an affair with Jim Calhoun.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/19/14 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chienboo wrote:
This is all BS. Christ let it go. This is all hackeneyed a old news. Lets all get a life and get on with it. Sheeesh!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

No, it's not "all" old news. The topic is the recent request or demand by Geno for an apology from Holly before he will renew the series.

One new and legitimate issue being discussed is whether Geno's recent demand is reasonable. I don't think it is, at least as it's being reported. That's because he hasn't specified what sin Holly should be apologizing for and why.

So people are dredging up the past in relevant part to figure out specifically what Geno wants the apology for: the SEC complaint, the Kathryn Moore house allegation, the Kathryn Moore handbag allegation, the cheating comment by Pat during the Pearl fiasco? What?

Without a reasonable specification from Geno based in this history of alleged sins, his recent request or demand seems almost bogus to me, in that he knows Holly would never agree to it. He wants to appear that he's willing to renew the series, but he lays down an unmeetable precondition so that Holly will look like the recalcitrant party.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/19/14 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
chienboo wrote:

No, it's not "all" old news. The topic is the recent request or demand by Geno for an apology from Holly before he will renew the series.

One new and legitimate issue being discussed is whether Geno's recent demand is reasonable. I don't think it is, at least as it's being reported. That's because he hasn't specified what sin Holly should be apologizing for and why.

So people are dredging up the past in relevant part to figure out specifically what Geno wants the apology for: the SEC complaint, the Kathryn Moore house allegation, the Kathryn Moore handbag allegation, the cheating comment by Pat during the Pearl fiasco? What?

Without a reasonable specification from Geno based in this history of alleged sins, his recent request or demand seems almost bogus to me, in that he knows Holly would never agree to it. He wants to appear that he's willing to renew the series, but he lays down an unmeetable precondition so that Holly will look like the recalcitrant party.

Holly's is, from what I read, the only account of the apology request and if you read closely she never says that Geno asked 'her' to apologize, only that he asked for one. And she also only said that she wasn't giving one but doesn't say that Tenn won't. I'm not sure that Holly has the clout to hold off the game much longer. ESPN wants it. ESPN is also starting an SEC network. At one of the meetings someone from ESPN will get the promise of the game as a sweetener to a deal. Geno and Holly will have little to say either way and will just smile and shake hands for the cameras.

chienboo

PostPosted: 04/20/14 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good ole E$PN----never let it be said..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Now can we move
on Question Question Question

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/20/14 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
chienboo wrote:

Holly's is, from what I read, the only account of the apology request and if you read closely she never says that Geno asked 'her' to apologize, only that he asked for one. And she also only said that she wasn't giving one but doesn't say that Tenn won't. I'm not sure that Holly has the clout to hold off the game much longer. ESPN wants it. ESPN is also starting an SEC network. At one of the meetings someone from ESPN will get the promise of the game as a sweetener to a deal. Geno and Holly will have little to say either way and will just smile and shake hands for the cameras.

The parsing of words doesn't change anything. Nobody at the U of Tenn is going to appologize for anything. The demand is just silly. And since Warlick was the one asking Geno if he wanted to play, it's obviously not her who is "holding off" anything. It's just Geno putting up ridiculous roadblocks.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/20/14 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The utter absurdity it all devolves into.... Razz

(Does anything remotely like this happen in the men's game? I honestly don't know, as I don't follow it, but....)

It all makes me long for THIS....

....Myrtle's old team, from back in The Old Days, when it was just a game, and its outcome had zero effect on the Net Results Of The Affairs Of Humanity. Cool

PostPosted: 04/21/14 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
The utter absurdity it all devolves into.... Razz

(Does anything remotely like this happen in the men's game? I honestly don't know, as I don't follow it, but....)

It all makes me long for THIS....

....Myrtle's old team, from back in The Old Days, when it was just a game, and its outcome
had zero effect on the Net Results Of The Affairs Of Humanity. Cool

I agree it starts to become a turn off on the whole game for meI

www.barnstormingamerica.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: