RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/14/14 1:47 pm    ::: Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison Reply Reply with quote

Sorry if already posted. Hadn't seen this mentioned last week. There had been discussions that UConn and Tenn might start playing again. But then this from last week:

"Warlick said on Monday that Auriemma indicated during their conversation last June that he wanted an apology first before resuming the series.

“I asked him if he wanted to play,” Warlick said. “He said he would if I apologized to his fans, former players, Maya Moore, her mother. I’m not going to do that.”

When asked Tuesday if an apology was a prerequisite, Auriemma said: “I want to make sure that we set the record straight. I think there were a lot of hard feelings for a lot of people when all that stuff happened. It is water under the bridge in some ways, you know. I think we’re past it. But you also can’t be ‘hey, don’t worry about it.’ “

As I understand it, he apparently wants an apology for Tenn having filed a complaint with the SEC that led to an NCAA investigation into a tour of ESPN that Geno arranged for Moore years ago.

I'm sure the chance of Tenn issuing an "apology" is zero. I also assume Geno knows that. If's he's serious about imposing a condition that will certainly never be met, it seems to me one can only conclude he has no interest in resuming the series.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/14/14 1:56 pm    ::: Re: Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Sorry if already posted. Hadn't seen this mentioned last week. There had been discussions that UConn and Tenn might start playing again. But then this from last week:

"Warlick said on Monday that Auriemma indicated during their conversation last June that he wanted an apology first before resuming the series.

“I asked him if he wanted to play,” Warlick said. “He said he would if I apologized to his fans, former players, Maya Moore, her mother. I’m not going to do that.”

When asked Tuesday if an apology was a prerequisite, Auriemma said: “I want to make sure that we set the record straight. I think there were a lot of hard feelings for a lot of people when all that stuff happened. It is water under the bridge in some ways, you know. I think we’re past it. But you also can’t be ‘hey, don’t worry about it.’ “

As I understand it, he apparently wants an apology for Tenn having filed a complaint with the SEC that led to an NCAA investigation into a tour of ESPN that Geno arranged for Moore years ago.

I'm sure the chance of Tenn issuing an "apology" is zero. I also assume Geno knows that. If's he's serious about imposing a condition that will certainly never be met, it seems to me one can only conclude he has no interest in resuming the series.

Fascinating. I would agree that if that is the case, Geno has no interest in resuming the series, and he certainly seems to have confirmed it.

A Tennessee fan commented to me after the game on Tuesday that she'd be hoping that Geno would mention Pat in his post-game remarks after passing her for the most championships. While I said I wouldn't have expected it, this reinforces to me that there was no way he would have done that - he still has issues with Pat. I don't know if it ever would have happened, but I think we've lost the opportunity for those two to bury the hatchet, and that's kind of a pity.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/14/14 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pat apparently congratulated Geno on getting the 9th championship.

http://www.wbir.com/story/sports/ncaa/2014/04/09/pat-summitt-congratulates-geno-auriemma-on-title-record/7497995/

If the ESPN tour incident is what he wants an apology for, I'm not sure why Tenn should apologize for getting the SEC to file a complaint. As I understand it, it was found to be an NCAA violation.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/14/14 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So theoretically, a UCONN/TENN series won't be resumed until Geno is no longer UCONN head coach?
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/14/14 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
So theoretically, a UCONN/TENN series won't be resumed until Geno is no longer UCONN head coach?

Certainly there's some posturing and strutting going on. But it's hard to see how anyone backs down from such a stark position. There's really no face saving position, is there?

I supposed he could have the UConn AD agree to it and then wash his hands of the decision and claim he had nothing to do with it.

Geno must really be conflicted. He makes a statement like this, but at the same time I can't imagine there's much of anything he'd like more than to beat up on Tenn.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/14/14 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno’s feelings still hurt; he wants an apology

...Regarding the chances of Connecticut and Tennessee playing again, Auriemma offered the following as a closing comment: “Reasonable people will figure out a way to get it done, probably.”

In other words, if Holly Warlick is reasonable, she’ll apologize.

But what is reasonable about a 9-time national champion — presumably a big boy who wears big boy britches and can tie his own shoes — demanding a public apology before he’ll agree to play someone because they hurt his feelings?

Geno is a great coach, who has earned his success. He’s also a jerk of the highest order.

http://www.bengarrett.net/2014/04/genos-feelings-still-hurt-he-wants-an-apology/

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/14/14 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please folks, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think most Tenn/UConn neutral wcbb fans think that the feud was caused mostly by Geno. The fact that he's throwing up this totally bogus "apology" seems to me to support this hypothesis. This is just totally weak and pathetic.

PLEASE NOTE, I'M HOPING THAT ALL AVID TENNESSEE AND UCONN FANS WILL COMPLETELY STAY OUT OF THIS DISCUSSION. EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT YOU ALL THINK AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU TRY TO BEAT US OVER THE HEAD WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER, THE REST OF US ARE NOT GOING TO JUST GIVE IN AND AGREE WITH YOU.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 04/14/14 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

http://www.wbir.com/story/sports/ncaa/2014/04/09/pat-summitt-congratulates-geno-auriemma-on-title-record/7497995/

If the ESPN tour incident is what he wants an apology for, I'm not sure why Tenn should apologize for getting the SEC to file a complaint. As I understand it, it was found to be an NCAA violation.

Yes, this says it was a "secondary recruiting violation" that UConn "self-reported".

http://www.zimbio.com/Maya+Moore/articles/2/Maya+Moore+recruiting+violation

So he is demanding an apology for them pointing out a "secondary recruiting violation" or was it because they tried make it a regular violation? The NCAA doesn't consider secondary violations serious:

Quote:
The NCAA defines a secondary violation as one that is inadvertent in nature or doesn’t represent a significant competitive advantage. Penalties are usually minor, and can include a letter in the school’s file.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/14/14 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pat and Holly deserve the apology from Geno. He's been a negative recruiter for years regarding coaches he perceived not to be straight. I have on very good authority (someone close to Holly) that Holly wanted to cancel the series, and Pat agreed. The move was initiated after Geno made a snide remark to Maya and her mom about Pat's recent divorce, along the lines that Pat could really be a lesbian now.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/14/14 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Pat and Holly deserve the apology from Geno. He's been a negative recruiter for years regarding coaches he perceived not to be straight. I have on very good authority (someone close to Holly) that Holly wanted to cancel the series, and Pat agreed. The move was initiated after Geno made a snide remark to Maya and her mom about Pat's recent divorce, along the lines that Pat could really be a lesbian now.

I find that very easy to believe. I have not at all been a "Geno-hater." I appreciate his humor most of the time. He's brilliant at becoming the story to take the heat off the players. But I can certainly see him using every possible advantage to gain a recruit. I know for fact that many others have done so (Sylvia Hatchell, etc). I do not doubt for a minute what hoopfan says here.

I do know that Geno is not above changing grades of players to retain their academic eligibility. It's a slippery slope and I already know he's on that slope.

~rAf
ridor

PostPosted: 04/14/14 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What did you expect from Geno, really? Even after winning 9 natties, he still feels inferior in some capacity. My friend who is an assistant coach of a mid-major team, he flew to Nashville for WBCA Convention & Final Four weekend.

His words to describe Geno at the convention: He is a bulldog who carries his scotch drink all over the place. He said that he overheard Geno berating some female assistant coach for preferring to drink beer over alcoholic drinks, yelling at her, "real women drinks scotch, not beer!"

That should tell you enough.

Cheers,

R-

Howee

PostPosted: 04/14/14 8:10 pm    ::: Re: Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

[i]"Warlick said on Monday that Auriemma indicated during their conversation last June that he wanted an apology first before resuming the series.

“I asked him if he wanted to play,” Warlick said. “He said he would if I apologized to his fans, former players, Maya Moore, her mother. I’m not going to do that.”.....

Art, what is the source for this? Not that I don't believe, but was curious....

PostPosted: 04/14/14 9:12 pm    ::: Re: Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

[i]"Warlick said on Monday that Auriemma indicated during their conversation last June that he wanted an apology first before resuming the series.

“I asked him if he wanted to play,” Warlick said. “He said he would if I apologized to his fans, former players, Maya Moore, her mother. I’m not going to do that.”.....

Art, what is the source for this? Not that I don't believe, but was curious....

It's published thirty different places. Reporter on a Knoxville newspaper first printed it but it has been repeated in Connecticut papers as well

Google is you friend.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/14/14 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Yes, this says it was a "secondary recruiting violation" that UConn "self-reported".

So he is demanding an apology for them pointing out a "secondary recruiting violation" or was it because they tried make it a regular violation? The NCAA doesn't consider secondary violations serious:

Quote:
The NCAA defines a secondary violation as one that is inadvertent in nature or doesn’t represent a significant competitive advantage. Penalties are usually minor, and can include a letter in the school’s file.

I don't understand your point. It doesn't matter what the penalty was, the point is that the truth of the allegations was confirmed and it was a violation of the rules. It wasn't a phony or made up complaint by Tenn. The complaint was true.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/14/14 10:58 pm    ::: Re: Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Google is you friend.

....and she's not yours? Rolling Eyes

You've been here long enough, Artie, to realize the more *responsible* among us generally provide our source when making contentious claims. And no, not all of us scour the papers for such things, so adding it here is a Nice Touch.

PostPosted: 04/14/14 11:13 pm    ::: Re: Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Google is you friend.

You've been here long enough, Artie, to realize the more *responsible* among us generally provide our source when making contentious claims. And no, not all of us scour the papers for such things, so adding it here is a Nice Touch.

It's not contentious. As I said, it's been widely reported and discussed. No one disputes what was said. Indeed, as my post indicated, I thought it might already have been discussed here but that I had missed it.

I didn't see any need to look up a link for it. Still don't. Sorry if you disagree.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/14/14 11:40 pm    ::: Re: Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Google is you friend.

It's not contentious. As I said, it's been widely reported and discussed. No one disputes what was said. Indeed, as my post indicated, I thought it might already have been discussed here but that I had missed it.

I didn't see any need to look up a link for it. Still don't. Sorry if you disagree.

Ahem. Links are HIGHLY recommended when posting news, especially when one or more parties being quoted in the news are acting like asshats.

PostPosted: 04/14/14 11:58 pm    ::: Re: Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Google is you friend.

Ahem. Links are HIGHLY recommended when posting news, especially when one or more parties being quoted in the news are acting like asshats.

You know, I usually do. Real reason I didn't this time is 'cause I didn't feel like getting caught in the crossfire. If I linked a Tenn paper the UConn fans would cry foul; if I linked a Conn paper the Tenn fans would complain. In this case it was reported so widely with everyone reporting the very same thing that I figured anyone who wanted could very quickly and easily find lots of sources and pick the one(s) they wanted. It's not an obscure story, and no one is denying what they said.

Sorry if that created any problem.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/15/14 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Quote:

I don't understand your point. It doesn't matter what the penalty was, the point is that the truth of the allegations was confirmed and it was a violation of the rules. It wasn't a phony or made up complaint by Tenn. The complaint was true.

I put the definition of "secondary recruiting violation" in my post, but that was not to suggest that Auriemma had a basis for an apology, just to define what it was.

I was trying to say that Auriemma didn't appear to have a reason to ask for an apology, but also asking if that was the story - did Tennessee point out the violation, or did UConn "self-report" as the article I linked above mentions and then Tennessee tried to escalate it above a secondary violation.

But this ESPN article questions the claim of UConn that they were "self-reporting" and says that sources told them that Tennessee, via the SEC, pointed it out to the NCAA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=3289808

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/15/14 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"It's published thirty different places. Reporter on a Knoxville first printed it but it has been repeated in Connecticut papers as well."

Now that explains it. It must be true! Especially since everyone in this thread accepts it.

CannonVol

PostPosted: 04/15/14 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Quote:

I put the definition of "secondary recruiting violation" in my post, but that was not to suggest that Auriemma had a basis for an apology, just to define what it was.

I was trying to say that Auriemma didn't appear to have a reason to ask for an apology, but also asking if that was the story - did Tennessee point out the violation, or did UConn "self-report" as the article I linked above mentions and then Tennessee tried to escalate it above a secondary violation.

But this ESPN article questions the claim of UConn that they were "self-reporting" and says that sources told them that Tennessee, via the SEC, pointed it out to the NCAA.

UConn "self-reported" the incident with Moore and ESPN after it was brought to the attention of the NCAA by the Tennessee/SEC complaint. They also "self-reported" the now infamous Doty "Wendy's burger and fries incident" at, near, the same time. Having Caroline Doty state in an e-mail that she had been "misunderstood" when she was quoted by at least four separate news reporters. The UConn administration's description of that incident and the original quote from Caroline Doty differed in such a significant degree as to raise, what had to be some serious red flags, but hey, the NCAA ruled that that was "incidental contact" and didn't even rise to the level of a secondary violation.

Jim

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/15/14 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This column appears to be the original source for the "Geno wants an apology" story.

Tennessee and UConn may renew series in women’s basketball
by Dan Fleser Knoxville News-Sentinel (Tenn) (MCT)
http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/article/sports/370476

I hope the Lady Vols continue to refuse to play UConn. Exclamation

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/15/14 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a UConn fan here.

Imo geno is a great coach and him and Chris are the most awesome recruiters in wcbb.

However, no one is bigger than the game. one may think so for a time but time does march on and sooner or later you become less significant even though you may have many records etc.

No apologies are needed here to geno and UConn nor Pat, holly and Tenn. I don't think they would be genuine anyhow.. So why bother except to hold something over the other.

Apologies should be made to fans of the game.

You are all damn blessed to be what you are doing and getting paid pretty damn well for it.

Someone needs to cut the legs off those damn pedestals

www.barnstormingamerica.net
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/15/14 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Quote:

Ok. Thank you. Interesting article by the way. Not sure I ever saw these comments before, which seem to be consistant with the theme of the thread:

"UConn coach Geno Auriemma responded last summer to Tennessee canceling the game. Referring to Summitt, he told the Hartford Courant, "I think she should just come out and say she's not playing us because she hates my guts. And I think people would buy that. Then everyone [who seeks a reason] would be happy. She should just say that [Geno is] a dope, a smart-ass and then everyone could say that they agree with her."
Auriemma declined to speak with ESPN about the cancellation of the series or his relationship with Summitt saying, "anything to do with her I want nothing to do with it."

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/15/14 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Please folks, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think most Tenn/UConn neutral wcbb fans think that the feud was caused mostly by Geno. The fact that he's throwing up this totally bogus "apology" seems to me to support this hypothesis. This is just totally weak and pathetic.

PLEASE NOTE, I'M HOPING THAT ALL AVID TENNESSEE AND UCONN FANS WILL COMPLETELY STAY OUT OF THIS DISCUSSION. EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT YOU ALL THINK AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU TRY TO BEAT US OVER THE HEAD WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER, THE REST OF US ARE NOT GOING TO JUST GIVE IN AND AGREE WITH YOU.

Wow, what do you think this is, I must have taken a wrong turn ended up in the Boneyard. Geez, get over yourself. Rebkell, right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: