RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Well the Muffet-Geno spat seems to pale in comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhillyCat

PostPosted: 04/15/14 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Pat and Holly deserve the apology from Geno. He's been a negative recruiter for years regarding coaches he perceived not to be straight. I have on very good authority (someone close to Holly) that Holly wanted to cancel the series, and Pat agreed. The move was initiated after Geno made a snide remark to Maya and her mom about Pat's recent divorce, along the lines that Pat could really be a lesbian now.

Oh brother. Everybody has their sources. Now it's Holly who wanted to cancel the series, even though she spent last year's WBHOF event praising Geno, giving him gifts and asking to resume the series. BTW, Geno's response to Holly last summer may be news in Knoxville but was reported by a member of the CT media last summer after the WBHOF event.

As for Geno engaging in negative recruiting against lesbian coaches, it's weird that he would do that given a couple of his long-time assistants. Makes no sense. Check out Dave Zirin's interview with Kate Fagan on a related topic.

Tennessee and Summitt have committed their own secondary violations, more than UConn from what I'm told. Hell, ask rival coaches about Pat Head back in the day and they'll tell stories that will make an ESPN tour seem like child's play. Summitt, more than any other coach, is responsible for the NCAA rules on transfers. Former Dream Coach Marynell Meadors could tell some stories and I'm sure she chuckled at the irony of Tenn's silly complaint against UConn.

The funny thing about the ESPN tour is that the call was made to ESPN by DOBO Jack Eisenmann who overheard Maya saying on her recruiting visit that she'd like to visit ESPN. He made a phone call and put them in touch with someone he knew at ESPN. It was a violation, but it wasn't the case of a program with a plan to gain a recruiting advantage, It was a member of the staff who overheard a conversation and thinking he would help them out. Sometimes stuff like this happens, but this particular gesture didn't warrant Maya Moore's name appearing on the ESPN ticker in connection with a recruiting violation. We don't even need to get into the Tenn fans' vicious words about Kathryn Moore. Those are the things that have irked Geno.

Many said that Holly wouldn't resume the series with UConn out of respect for Pat. We now know that it took Holly exactly one year as Tenn's head coach to ask Geno to resume the series.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/14 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is so old hat, but I'll make some comments, given that I'm probably one of the few people (including CannonVol) who have actually read all the documents produced by three FOIA requests regarding the Tennessee/SEC complaint about UConn.

Historically, at the prompting of Tennessee the SEC filed a complaint against UConn alleging 11 NCAA violations. UConn, after initially resisting, subsequently "self-reported" that three of the allegations were in fact secondary violations: (1) making a telephone call to arrange a tour of ESPN for Maya Moore; (2) allowing Doty to meet and eat with Taurasi and Bird in Auriemma's office; and (3) an admission letter that is so heavily redacted that it's hard to interpret what allegation it refers to. As to each of the three:

1. The NCAA accepted the Maya-ESPN incident as a secondary violation and closed the entire investigation, just before the 2008 NCAA tournament, when they received UConn's after-the-fact self-report. My interpretation is that this was the negotiated price of how UConn could finally settle the entire matter.

2. As CannonVol states, the NCAA actually rejected UConn's eventual self-report of a secondary violation regarding the Doty situation, ruling instead that it was non-violative "incidental contact" with a recruit.

3. The NCAA accepted the third self-report as a secondary violation, but the documents are heavily redacted to conceal the incident and names. My interpretation is that this violation relates to the allegation that a UConn fan/booster gave a sign he had made to the parents of a recruit (Elena Delle Donne) during the event that used to be known as Supershow (now First Night).

I really don't see why anyone at Tennessee would owe UConn an apology regarding the Maya-ESPN tour, given that UConn and the NCAA ultimately agreed it was an NCAA violation.

However, there were vile Maya Moore rumors emanating from the Tennessee fan base, supposedly sourced from the Tennessee coaching staff, that were not part of the formal SEC complaint. In particular, there was the long-persisting charge that UConn, or someone affiliated with UConn, had given Maya Moore's mother a house. This reprehensible rumor went on and on and on, unsubstantiated, literally for years during Moore's time at UConn. I'm not sure why Holly should apologize for this, but this public rumor may be be the Maya-related insult that still bothers UConn fans and Geno the most.

As to the rumor posted above that Geno made a snide suggestion to Maya Moore and her mother that Pat Summitt was a lesbian, I find that completely incredible. Geno may be sometimes crude but he's not a recruiting idiot. Why would he make an anti-lesbian comment in front of a prized recruit who, for all he knows, is a lesbian? It would be a ridiculous gamble with fatal blow-back potential. It's not credible on its face.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/15/14 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:
I'm a UConn fan here.

Imo geno is a great coach and him and Chris are the most awesome recruiters in wcbb.

However, no one is bigger than the game. one may think so for a time but time does march on and sooner or later you become less significant even though you may have many records etc.

No apologies are needed here to geno and UConn nor Pat, holly and Tenn. I don't think they would be genuine anyhow.. So why bother except to hold something over the other.

Apologies should be made to fans of the game.

You are all damn blessed to be what you are doing and getting paid pretty damn well for it.

Someone needs to cut the legs off those damn pedestals

I had to laugh so hard at you. You're definitely biased since you admitted that you're a fan of UConn. Geno & Chris are not awesome recruiters out there. According to my sources (Yes, I have my sources and I won't share!), many said that they are bullies who will tell the recruits' parents bad things about other teams & coaches. That if their daughter go to that team, they will make her lesbian. They will make her this, that and there.

These scare tactics are what made UConn successful as of lately. So with these HS All-Americans on the roster, Geno does not really have to coach that much. If you think he's the greatest - I challenge Geno to move on to another school and build from scratch - let's see if he can do what C. Vivian Stringer and Gary Blair did - wherever they go, they build national powerhouses if not winning national championships. If Geno can do that, I'll be convinced. Otherwise, he's just a bulldog with scotch drink on his hand most of the time, that is.

R-

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/15/14 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"I really don't see why anyone at Tennessee would owe UConn an apology regarding the Maya-ESPN tour, given that UConn and the NCAA ultimately agreed it was an NCAA violation."

There's no reason in the world why they owe an apology. AND NO APOLOGY WAS ASKED FOR! Though most posters on this thread want to believe it desperately. The accusation of homophobia is even more disgusting.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/16/14 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
"I really don't see why anyone at Tennessee would owe UConn an apology regarding the Maya-ESPN tour, given that UConn and the NCAA ultimately agreed it was an NCAA violation."

There's no reason in the world why they owe an apology. AND NO APOLOGY WAS ASKED FOR! Though most posters on this thread want to believe it desperately. The accusation of homophobia is even more disgusting.

Homey, no one said Geno is homophobic, but he has made snide remarks about coaches, including Pat, to recruits over the years. I know parents and ex players who all told me first hand, including the friend who knows Holly very well. Believe what you want to believe.

And Glen, his audience is the parents as much, if not more, than the recruit at times.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 04/16/14 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
This is so old hat, but I'll make some comments, given that I'm probably one of the few people (including CannonVol) who have actually read all the documents produced by three FOIA requests regarding the Tennessee/SEC complaint about UConn.

Historically, at the prompting of Tennessee the SEC filed a complaint against UConn alleging 11 NCAA violations. UConn, after initially resisting, subsequently "self-reported" that three of the allegations were in fact secondary violations: (1) making a telephone call to arrange a tour of ESPN for Maya Moore; (2) allowing Doty to meet and eat with Taurasi and Bird in Auriemma's office; and (3) an admission letter that is so heavily redacted that it's hard to interpret what allegation it refers to. As to each of the three:

1. The NCAA accepted the Maya-ESPN incident as a secondary violation and closed the entire investigation, just before the 2008 NCAA tournament, when they received UConn's after-the-fact self-report. My interpretation is that this was the negotiated price of how UConn could finally settle the entire matter.

2. As CannonVol states, the NCAA actually rejected UConn's eventual self-report of a secondary violation regarding the Doty situation, ruling instead that it was non-violative "incidental contact" with a recruit.

3. The NCAA accepted the third self-report as a secondary violation, but the documents are heavily redacted to conceal the incident and names. My interpretation is that this violation relates to the allegation that a UConn fan/booster gave a sign he had made to the parents of a recruit (Elena Delle Donne) during the event that used to be known as Supershow (now First Night).

I really don't see why anyone at Tennessee would owe UConn an apology regarding the Maya-ESPN tour, given that UConn and the NCAA ultimately agreed it was an NCAA violation.

However, there were vile Maya Moore rumors emanating from the Tennessee fan base, supposedly sourced from the Tennessee coaching staff, that were not part of the formal SEC complaint. In particular, there was the long-persisting charge that UConn, or someone affiliated with UConn, had given Maya Moore's mother a house. This reprehensible rumor went on and on and on, unsubstantiated, literally for years during Moore's time at UConn. I'm not sure why Holly should apologize for this, but this public rumor may be be the Maya-related insult that still bothers UConn fans and Geno the most.

As to the rumor posted above that Geno made a snide suggestion to Maya Moore and her mother that Pat Summitt was a lesbian, I find that completely incredible. Geno may be sometimes crude but he's not a recruiting idiot. Why would he make an anti-lesbian comment in front of a prized recruit who, for all he knows, is a lesbian? It would be a ridiculous gamble with fatal blow-back potential. It's not credible on its face.

A couple of points on a good summary. I think the apology over the ESPN tour has to do with the fact that Tenn made it known that the player involved was Maya. Geno has hardly mentioned the specifics, but I recall he once expressed some anger over the fact that Maya's name and recruiting violation appeared over and over again on the ESPN ticker, a couple of years after the tour took place. Geno has asked for an apology to Maya. A couple of years ago -- after the ESPN tour -- Tenn self-reported a couple of secondary violations for giving free (fee waived), personal tours of the WBHOF to recruits and their families. This has been going on for years, but no complaints have been filed as far as I know. I doubt another coach would bother, and certainly wouldn't be interested in publicly identifying the players involved.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was a time when a Tennessee-UConn game would have been a big-time matchup between two women's basketball heavyweights.

Now, its primary interest would be as a stage to settle a catfight, though of course it would be a better game than most for UConn.

But it's not as if the world is missing out on something special if the two teams don't play in the regular season.

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:

There's no reason in the world why they owe an apology. AND NO APOLOGY WAS ASKED FOR!

So, just so I understand, are you saying that Warlick is a total liar when she says "I asked him if he wanted to play." He said he would if I apologized to his fans, former players, Maya Moore, her mother. Im not going to do that.

I'm wondering how you know that unless you were there in person last June when the conversation between Warlick and Auriemma took place. And I'm wondering why no one, including Auriemma, has denied what Warlick said was demanded. Do you have something to provide that the rest of us have missed that would demonstrate this entire "apology" thing is a total fabrication? If so, I hope you'll share it.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ridor. . I equally laugh back at you as you have not a clue on me.

I may root for UConn in games, yet have been honored to be asked and have dinner with Pat and a few other big names.

Any apology from either would be nothing more than a media win for the other. At this point... I could care less on that.

I do think geno and chris are awesome recruiters. I think Summitt and DeMoss were same.

It's time to just play the games if there is still interest from fans and could draw a good response on espn. I even wish that if they played it would be a nail biter and not a blow out.

We are all fans of the game

www.barnstormingamerica.net
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/16/14 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
There was a time when a Tennessee-UConn game would have been a big-time matchup between two women's basketball heavyweights.

Now, its primary interest would be as a stage to settle a catfight, though of course it would be a better game than most for UConn.

But it's not as if the world is missing out on something special if the two teams don't play in the regular season.

"Catfight"? Tsk, tsk. "Did you really just call a disagreement between two ... colleagues a catfight?' [Det. Jane Rizzoli, 3x01, Rizzoli & Isles] Rolling Eyes

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/16/14 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

There's no reason in the world why they owe an apology. AND NO APOLOGY WAS ASKED FOR!

So, just so I understand, are you saying that Warlick is a total liar when she says "I asked him if he wanted to play." He said he would if I apologized to his fans, former players, Maya Moore, her mother. Im not going to do that.

I'm wondering how you know that unless you were there in person last June when the conversation between Warlick and Auriemma took place. And I'm wondering why no one, including Auriemma, has denied what Warlick said was demanded. Do you have something to provide that the rest of us have missed that would demonstrate this entire "apology" thing is a total fabrication? If so, I hope you'll share it.

Not even a sub-total liar. I simply don't believe she said it. Nor that Geno did either. I'm willing to say I'm wrong. You are usually pretty good at providing links. How about that Knoxville reporter? Or any of those Connecticut papers? I called the N.H. Register sports editor. They didn't know about it.

Btw, this is the 2nd. time your first thought was that I thought someone was a liar. When I said the crowd at a UCONN game in Springfield, MA was about 3 to 4 thousand (1,100 was reported) you said, "Why would they lie?" The very obvious thought should have been, "someone made a mistake".

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/16/14 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

Not even a sub-total liar. I simply don't believe she said it. Nor that Geno did either. I'm willing to say I'm wrong. You are usually pretty good at providing links. How about that Knoxville reporter? Or any of those Connecticut papers? I called the N.H. Register sports editor. They didn't know about it.

Btw, this is the 2nd. time your first thought was that I thought someone was a liar. When I said the crowd at a UCONN game in Springfield, MA was about 3 to 4 thousand (1,100 was reported) you said, "Why would they lie?" The very obvious thought should have been, "someone made a mistake".

If you believe that no apology was demanded, than either you're calling the reporters who reported what Warlick said liars, or you're calling Warlick a liar. There aren't any other options. There's no ambiguity. There's no mistake. There's a quote. And then Geno was asked about it, and he didn't deny saying it either.

And you can't bother to click on the link to the original story posted by Carol Anne, and you can't bother to spend 30 seconds of your own time using Google to check yourself, and you expect others to hand feed you.
Fine. Here you go. Try reading these:

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/uconn-tennessee-will-talk-lead-to-action/

http://hosted2.ap.org/RIPRJ/94df6789960948c2869c5b6429e1fe7d/Article_2014-04-09/id-999ccb9d7c0e02a15866ae0f00833c42

http://azstarnet.com/ncaa-women-s-basketball-uconn-auriemma-looking-for-more-hardware/article_fdd2723b-9b7c-561d-96da-8bb6f89015d1.html

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/4/10/5601182/uconn-vs-tennessee-womens-basketball-series

Actually on the attendance I asked you to explain why in the world UConn or the tourney sponsors would underreport by 75% their own attendance or what information you had to support your assertion that they had. You never provided any. Instead, just like you say you just don't believe what's been reported in this instance, you simply didn't believe the published number then.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/14 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
So with these HS All-Americans on the roster, Geno does not really have to coach that much. If you think he's the greatest - I challenge Geno to move on to another school and build from scratch - let's see if he can do what C. Vivian Stringer and Gary Blair did - wherever they go, they build national powerhouses if not winning national championships. If Geno can do that, I'll be convinced.

R-

ahem, he did take a program that was nothing and built it into what it is today. He didn't have all those HS AA's to begin with...

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/16/14 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:
I'm a UConn fan here.

Imo geno is a great coach and him and Chris are the most awesome recruiters in wcbb.

However, no one is bigger than the game. one may think so for a time but time does march on and sooner or later you become less significant even though you may have many records etc.

No apologies are needed here to geno and UConn nor Pat, holly and Tenn. I don't think they would be genuine anyhow.. So why bother except to hold something over the other.

Apologies should be made to fans of the game.

You are all damn blessed to be what you are doing and getting paid pretty damn well for it.

Someone needs to cut the legs off those damn pedestals

So with these HS All-Americans on the roster, Geno does not really have to coach that much. If you think he's the greatest - I challenge Geno to move on to another school and build from scratch - let's see if he can do what C. Vivian Stringer and Gary Blair did - wherever they go, they build national powerhouses if not winning national championships. If Geno can do that, I'll be convinced. Otherwise, he's just a bulldog with scotch drink on his hand most of the time, that is.

R-

Laughing He has done that, way better than Stringer and Blair put together! UConn was nothing, zero in the womens bball world before he took over and built it into a super powerhouse! Same with Summitt and Tenn. You didn't think Diana and Sue were already there when he came in did you?

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/16/14 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

If you believe that no apology was demanded, than either you're calling the reporters who reported what Warlick said liars, or you're calling Warlick a liar. There aren't any other options. There's no ambiguity. There's no mistake. There's a quote. And then Geno was asked about it, and he didn't deny saying it either.

And you can't bother to click on the link to the original story posted by Carol Anne, and you can't bother to spend 30 seconds of your own time using Google to check yourself, and you expect others to hand feed you.
Fine. Here you go. Try reading these:

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/uconn-tennessee-will-talk-lead-to-action/

http://hosted2.ap.org/RIPRJ/94df6789960948c2869c5b6429e1fe7d/Article_2014-04-09/id-999ccb9d7c0e02a15866ae0f00833c42

http://azstarnet.com/ncaa-women-s-basketball-uconn-auriemma-looking-for-more-hardware/article_fdd2723b-9b7c-561d-96da-8bb6f89015d1.html

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/4/10/5601182/uconn-vs-tennessee-womens-basketball-series

Actually on the attendance I asked you to explain why in the world UConn or the tourney sponsors would underreport by 75% their own attendance or what information you had to support your assertion that they had. You never provided any. Instead, just like you say you just don't believe what's been reported in this instance, you simply didn't believe the published number then.

I thought I explained my position well. I was not either/all calling anyone a liar. I would have no idea where to look for the links you so easily provided.

As to the tourney attendance, when you asked why they would lie, I felt no need to answer the question as it was obvious that a mistake was made. And you didn't ask what information I had. I had already stated that it was an eye-ball estimation from my seat by myself and others. (Another poster chimed in with agreement). I may be a novice on the computer but I've gone to enough games to know the difference between 1 and 3 to 4 thousand.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/16/14 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:

I thought I explained my position well. I was not either/all calling anyone a liar. I would have no idea where to look for the links you so easily provided.

So, now that you've read the articles, do you:

1) Believe that the quotes provided by the reporters are accurate and that Warlick actually said that Geno demanded an apology?

2) Believe Warlick that Geno did in fact demand an apology?

3) Still believe it's all a "mistake" and that, as you stated previously, "NO APOLOGY WAS ASKED FOR!"?

And if it's (3), why do you believe that?

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

1) Believe that the quotes provided by the reporters are accurate and that Warlick actually said that Geno demanded an apology?

3) Still believe it's all a "mistake" and that, as you stated previously, "NO APOLOGY WAS ASKED FOR!"?

My belief about a "mistake" was CLEARLY about the attendance in Springfield. I could ask you, do you still think they were lying?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

My belief about a "mistake" was CLEARLY about the attendance in Springfield. I could ask you, do you still think they were lying?

No, I don't think the reporters were lying, I don't think Warlick was lying, and I don't think UConn was lying about the attendance. I think Geno indeed demanded an apology, and that only 1100 people were at that Springfield tournament.

Now your turn. You didn't answer the question.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, I don't think Holly was lying. The Tennessee stringer? I don't know. And if I had to accept that there were only 1,100 people at the Springfield tournament I would also have to believe that the moon is made of green cheese.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think most everyone here has missed the point of the apology request. The need for one isn't over a few secondary violations. The ESPN tour is a favorite topic of the Tenn horde. They use it to contrast how UConn recruits with the LV program. What they never mention is that Pat and Micki DeMoss were reprimanded by the NCAA for arranging for free tours at the Knoxville HOF for recruits and their families years before Moore was being recruited.

"Summitt and assistant coach Mickie DeMoss were reprimanded for allowing two prospects and their family have a free tour of a Knoxville facility. The name of the facility was blacked out, but the document indicated they were admitted free because Summitt is an inducted member and DeMoss belongs to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association. Summitt was inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame here in 1999. "

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=194897

The reason for an apology to Connecticut is another issue however. It would be for Summitt's public accusation of cheating that she made in an interview at the time Pearl was fired for lying to the NCAA. In an interview Pat said that if she cheated she should be fired and when the reporter asked if she was referring to Pearl she replied no, she wasn't thinking of men's basketball at all, she was thinking of Connecticut. That's at the very least unethical. She was speaking for the Univ of Tenn and they have the duty to either explain the accusation or apologize. Can you imagine the uproar if Caliperi accused Petino of cheating in an ESPN interview and then refused to explain the statement or submit any evidence of cheating?

And for the record, I was at the HOF game in Springfield and there were about 4 K there as far as I could estimate. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by linkster on 04/17/14 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
ridor

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle & coffy73: No. 2 or 3 schools. Not ONE. Geno did only ONE. Gary & C. Viv did 3 schools - C. Viv took Cheyney State, Iowa & Rutgers to Final Fours. Gary Blair built Stephen Fuller Austin, Arkansas & Texas A&M -took Arkansas & TAMU to Final Four and national championship for TAMU.

Geno did only *one* school. If he can leave UConn and go somewhere and built another program from scratch and be able to win another national championship - then I WILL be convinced that he's the greatest coach out there.

Except that he is not. Coffy73 & myrtle: READ CAREFULLY.

R-

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/17/14 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stringer has had a long and great career. One of my favs not just as a coach but as a person who loves the history of Women's basketball and feels today's players need to get a better appreciation of it like the men do.

Why should geno leave. If he loves the job the way he says he does.. gets paid very well (I think coaches get paid to much in society overall in college anyhow). He has his own place at Mohegan.

To prove anything to anyone?

If you are happy in life, in your surroundings and making a good living with benefits and can take care of your family....

Quite frankly.. the heck with what anyone else Thinks

www.barnstormingamerica.net
Phil

PostPosted: 04/17/14 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:

UConn was nothing, zero in the womens bball world before he took over and built it into a super powerhouse! Same with Summitt and Tenn.

I think Pat Summitt deserves tremendous respect for all she has done for the sport. In fact she has so much on her resume, that it isn't necessary to make up things. The program she inherited wasn't a big-time program (but then, not many were in that day and age); she took over a team that was 25-2. She helped improve the visibility of the sport, perhaps as much or more than any other single person, but she didn't turn around a losing team.

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/17/14 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
myrtle & coffy73: No. 2 or 3 schools. Not ONE. Geno did only ONE. Gary & C. Viv did 3 schools - C. Viv took Cheyney State, Iowa & Rutgers to Final Fours. Gary Blair built Stephen Fuller Austin, Arkansas & Texas A&M -took Arkansas & TAMU to Final Four and national championship for TAMU.

Geno did only *one* school. If he can leave UConn and go somewhere and built another program from scratch and be able to win another national championship - then I WILL be convinced that he's the greatest coach out there.

R-

He doesn't have to go anywhere else to prove that he's one of the best. Why should he? That would be ridiculous and Geno is not stupid.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/17/14 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:
ridor wrote:

R-

He doesn't have to go anywhere else to prove that he's one of the best. Why should he? That would be ridiculous and Geno is not stupid.

I agree. The notion that a coach has to take three teams to national prominence is not tenable.

Shall we declare John Wooden to be deficient because he only coached two years and made only one post-season tournament other than the UCLA teams? I feel safe in concluding that no one would make such an argument. I daresay few people even know he coached at someplace other than UCLA, and could not identify the school without looking it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: