RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Terri Mitchell out as Marquette women's basketball coach
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:04 pm    ::: Terri Mitchell out as Marquette women's basketball coach Reply Reply with quote

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/mitchell-out-as-marquette-womens-basketball-coach-b99244771z1-254649851.html

Quote:
Terri Mitchell, who led the Marquette women's basketball team to 348 victories in 18 seasons, will not return as the Golden Eagles coach next season.

The announcement was made Wednesday night by Bill Cords, the school's interim athletic director.

"I would like to thank Father Wild, Bill Cords, and the University for allowing me to be a part of the Marquette Community for the past 23 years," Mitchell said. "In my 18 years as head coach, I have been privileged to work with amazing coaches and staff. I have been most blessed to coach unbelievable women that have impacted my life. I will cherish those relationships forever and am looking forward to beginning the next chapter of my life."

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't see this coming.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is she retiring or fired?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

"not retained" is the term I believe.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Sure looks like she was fired to me. I did not see this coming at all either especially with having an interim AD, interim President until recently and having just gone through the Men's coaching search.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh and I will just add that Terri Mitchell is a wonderful person and I hate to see anyone lose their job. I wish her all the best in the future.

I really hope they get a good coach in here now. We have zero media coverage though so I probably won't even hear about any candidates Sad.

I guess the banquet coming up in a couple weeks will probably be canceled - my daughter will be quite bummed she won't get to see the players again but that's the way it goes...

Last edited by Marquette Fan on 04/13/14 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any ideas for her replacement?

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not surprised, I had been calling this for most of the season. Limited postseason Success yet had NCAA bubble talent but never won that one game (Or in this season LOST that one game blowing lead to Seton Hall) with the state schools out of the Big East this was supposed to be their year...and well nope...Good coach, nice school with Good facilities and decent fan support...could be good destination.

Tyler leaving sure did not help.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Any ideas for her replacement?

No clue really and since there is no media coverage of the team, I may not know anything about who they look at until they announce a hiring. I think it will come from someone outside the current staff. I'm not sure if they'll look for anyone with Marquette ties and I'm ok if there are no Marquette ties with the new coach.

Mitchell had been at Marquette since the 1990-91 season as she was an assistant under former coach Jim Jabir. It will be really weird not to see her at Marquette anymore.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
I am not surprised, I had been calling this for most of the season. Limited postseason Success yet had NCAA bubble talent but never won that one game (Or in this season LOST that one game blowing lead to Seton Hall) with the state schools out of the Big East this was supposed to be their year...and well nope...Good coach, nice school with Good facilities and decent fan support...could be good destination.

Tyler leaving sure did not help.

Yeah that Seton Hall game was pretty bad but it wasn't just that game. They lost to a bad Wisconsin team at home - a game they should have won easily and messed up at the end of the Villanova and Butler games at home too - both games they should have won.

And MU has one pretty big crazy fan so it has that going for them Smile

I'm still kind of in shock that his happened this year - did not expect it at all now.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually liked her. Always thought they looked pretty well coached. Was recruiting her problem? And are the expectations (including attracting a better coach) realistic?

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/09/14 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I actually liked her. Always thought they looked pretty well coached. Was recruiting her problem? And are the expectations (including attracting a better coach) realistic?

I like her a lot and am sorry she had to lose her job.

Recruiting was an issue along with not reaching the NCAA Tourney a lot. They haven't been to the NCAA Tournament since the 2010-11 season and I think it had been a four year drought before that also. They should have done better this season and were likely to fall off quite a bit next season with Katherine Plouffe and Katie Young graduating.

I'm not sure what kind of candidate they will be able to attract and I'm not sure what they will be willing to pay. Ironically acting athletic director Bill Cords was the one who hired Mitchell in 1996 when Jim Jabir left to coach Providence.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/14 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Recruiting was an issue along with not reaching the NCAA Tourney a lot. They haven't been to the NCAA Tournament since the 2010-11 season and I think it had been a four year drought before that also. They should have done better this season and were likely to fall off quite a bit next season with Katherine Plouffe and Katie Young graduating.

I'm not sure what kind of candidate they will be able to attract and I'm not sure what they will be willing to pay. Ironically acting athletic director Bill Cords was the one who hired Mitchell in 1996 when Jim Jabir left to coach Providence.

Borton's available Smile

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 04/09/14 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Borton's available Smile

So is Myrtle for that matter, if they can convince her to move to the Midwest!

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/10/14 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please,please,please Marquette hire Niele Ivey! I promise to become a season ticket holder and buy front row seats! Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/10/14 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow...didn't see this. I really like Terri Mitchell. Damn....

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/10/14 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Shades wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Borton's available Smile

So is Myrtle for that matter, if they can convince her to move to the Midwest!

I think we should start a write-in campaign for myrtle.

PostPosted: 04/10/14 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Niele Ivey is an interesting idea...but does she want to leave ND? They're kind of on a roll right now. ND could be very good for a long time.

PostPosted: 04/10/14 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a good position, you'd think they'll have a lot of folks to chose from.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/10/14 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Capri wrote:
It's a good position, you'd think they'll have a lot of folks to chose from.

I sure hope so - I'm kind of worried about this coaching search. And I know it's going to drive me absolutely crazy if I can't find out who any of the candidates are (which is a very likely possibility).

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/10/14 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How good of a job is Marquette now? I was discussing this with some buddies but it was in regards to the men's program. How good of a conference is the "new" Big East moving forward?

It was rather surprising that Buzz Williams would leave Marquette to go to a bottom feeder ACC program in VA Tech. I understand there was a lot of background issues, but still...doesn't send a very good message. I think Marquette hit a HR with the hiring of Wojo from Duke though. There was also a strong rumor that Jay Wright was going to leave Villanova for Boston College, another near bottom ACC program. That would have been disastrous for the Big East from a PR standpoint for sure.

Anyway, is Marquette still considered a really good job or has it dropped a little in stature with the conference realignment?

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/10/14 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it is a much stronger conference in men's basketball than in women's.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/10/14 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Please,please,please Marquette hire Niele Ivey! I promise to become a season ticket holder and buy front row seats! Very Happy

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! She's a ND girl and nobody else can have her. Smile

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/10/14 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! She's a ND girl and nobody else can have her. Smile

She has been in her cocoon long enough. It is time for her to come out and spread her wings and FLY! Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/10/14 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
How good of a job is Marquette now? I was discussing this with some buddies but it was in regards to the men's program. How good of a conference is the "new" Big East moving forward?

It was rather surprising that Buzz Williams would leave Marquette to go to a bottom feeder ACC program in VA Tech. I understand there was a lot of background issues, but still...doesn't send a very good message. I think Marquette hit a HR with the hiring of Wojo from Duke though. There was also a strong rumor that Jay Wright was going to leave Villanova for Boston College, another near bottom ACC program. That would have been disastrous for the Big East from a PR standpoint for sure.

Anyway, is Marquette still considered a really good job or has it dropped a little in stature with the conference realignment?

I'd certainly agree that the new Big East isn't nearly as strong as it was in the past. But in Marquette's case, that kind of bodes well for them as in the past they never had a shot at challenging for the top of the conference and went into the conference tourney with basically no shot (the coaches and team would never say that but this fan would Smile ). And now they have the potential to challenge for the top of the conference.

I think there were some unusual circumstances with Buzz Williams leaving - he actually took a pay cut. It was widely reported he did not get along at all with the previous AD (who quit last fall and an old AD was brought out of retirement to be interim AD now) and I think there were some other things going on. I think it was more than the new Big East that made him leave.

Marquette plays in a very nice on campus arena and has good practice facilities. But I'm not sure what kind of job it is really considered. One concern of mine is the interim AD is supposed to remain in place for another year or so which means a new coach will have to come on board with no idea who his/her boss will ultimately be. At least they recently announced who their new President is so that's not an open position any more.

I was happy with the Wojo hiring and hope they can do well with the Women's coaching position. But truthfully they won't have near as much pressure from fans, high profile alumni, board of trustees, etc. It will be interesting to see if I hear how much they are willing to pay.

I've read a couple places that Mitchell's contract was up this year - not sure this would have happened now if her contract hadn't been up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: