RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Well, that was a snoozer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/14 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
lvf08 wrote:
I doubt next year will be much different either.

They still have Stewart, but I think that assumption dramatically understates the importance that Stephanie Dolson has had to this team the last three years.

Dolson was at the center of everything UConn did, offensively and defensively. The offense will be different next year, though clearly Stewart and KML will be the featured offensive players. Without Dolson those two players will need to become more than just catch-and-shoot players on the perimeter. Geno has already mentioned that about Stewart. KML needs to reshape her body and become a better ball-handler.

There are going to be schools with a lot of young talent, including the Carolinas, ND, Tenn, UCLA.

Yes, I believe it'll be quite a bit tougher for UConn starting in 2016-2017. A lot of freshman talent came in and it wasn't all converged into UConn. Maybe the same will happen for next year's freshman class and will see a pattern emerge similar to the men's game with more high end talent.

Me personally, I'm very excited for my next year's home team and MIN never gets elite talent. MIN is supposed to be in a tournament in November that includes UConn, so I hope they get a shot at them.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/09/14 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"]
HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:
I certainly agree you have to spend money to make money. yet with my taxes going thru the roof I would not be in favor of

Who is going to do the ranking, since recruiting rankings are all over the lot. And are you really proposing to tell two women who want a Stanford education that one of them can't go because they both are ranked in the top 35?

This is completely unworkable, and I doubt anyone - schools, players, parents, or fans - would find it acceptable.

I wouldn't expect anyone to go for it. however right now UConn and maybe a few other schools are getting the cream of crop that is small in number. Unless it spreads out the wcbb is going to pretty much the same year after year. sooner or later it will be another school yet this is such a repetitive cycle. even as a UConn fan I find the games a bit boring.

Overall I don't take any of this that seriously. I love the game and invested close to 6 figures in what I do in relation to the history of Women's basketball.

Yet it is still a game of entertainment. I think it is awesome that there are women who are fortunate to get a paid scholarship to do something they love when I know many that weretheWNBA players of yesteryear and never had the chance

www.barnstormingamerica.net
FS02

PostPosted: 04/09/14 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this "parity" situation unique to women's basketball?

Here's a look at the history of other top women's team sports over the past 20 years.

(I've actually wanted to do this comparison for some time, this thread finally spurred me to actually do the hour's worth of research):

WBB (1995-2014)

# of different champs: 7

Repeat champs: UConn, 9; Tennessee, 5; Baylor, 2

One-time champs: Purdue, Notre Dame, Maryland, Texas A&M

Volleyball (1994-2013)

# of different champs: 8

Repeat champs: Penn State, 6; Stanford, 5; Nebraska, 3; USC, 2

One-time champs: Long Beach State, Washington, UCLA, Texas

Softball (1994-2013)

# of different champs: 9

Repeat champs: Arizona, 6; UCLA, 5; Arizona State, 2; Oklahoma, 2

One-time champs: Fresno State, California, Michigan, Washington, Alabama

Soccer (1994-2013)

Repeat champs: North Carolina, 10; Notre Dame, 3; Portland, 2

One-Time champs: Florida, Santa Clara, USC, Stanford, UCLA

The numbers for all 4 women's sports are eerily similar.
For mens team sports--big $ or not--the trends are a little better, but they also follow a characteristic distribution pattern:

Mens Soccer (1994-2013)

# of different champs: 12

Repeat champs: Indiana, 5; Virginia, 2; UCLA, 2; North Carolina, 2; Maryland, 2

One-time champs: Wisconsin, St. Johns, UConn, UCSB, Wake Forest, Akron, Notre Dame

Mens Baseball (1994-2013)

Repeat champs: LSU, 4; Miami, 2; Texas, 2; Oregon State, 2; South Carolina, 2; Cal State Fullerton 2

One-time champs: Oklahoma, USC, Rice, Fresno State, Arizona, UCLA

Mens Basketball (1995-2014)

Repeat champs: UConn, 4; Kentucky, 3; Duke, 2; North Carolina, 2; Florida, 2

One-time champs: UCLA, Arizona, Michigan State, Maryland, Syracuse, Kansas, Louisville

This leads me to propose that (1) There's not really anything different about WBB. The lack of what you'd call parity is just a product of how the system of college athletics works. (2) For some reason, the system behaves differently with male sports. In other words, I hypothesize that the difference between the average of about 8 different champs in the women's sports and 12 on the men's side is significant, but I don't know what it means.

(I did not cherry-pick these sports at all, they just happen to be the seven I'm most aware of. It was very weird seeing the same magic number emerge out the data every time.)

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
sammieee wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

easy. UConn gets the #1 h.s player way more than other any school, and year after year. Stanford has signed 2 h.s #1 players, both O sisters. UConn has signed about 10-12 number 1 h.s players in last 20 or so years. Stewie, KML, Maya, Taurasi, Charles, to name of few. Each one of those players gave UConn 1-2 NCs.

I've always thought the women need to reduce the number of scholies from 15 to 13, or even 12, to spread the talent.

Was Nneka even a #1 on any service? Remember she's in the same class at EDD, and I remember EDD pretty much rated #1 everywhere. Nneka did win one of those POY awards (I think).

as I said above, Stanford signed two #1 h.s. players, both O sisters. So in 29 years under Tara, Stanford got 2, Geno in same time, got a lot more. Good for him. Put him at Stanford, he gets the same number as Tara.

In college, Nneka did not get any POY awards. She was robbed like Chiney. I'm not bitter, at all.

According to the Stanford press release about her signing Nneka was the #6 overall prospect in "Hoopgurlz Hundred"

She was rated #2 on Bluestar and possibly ASGR as well. Nneka did however win the Gatorade POY award. I guess thats what hoopfan24 is refering to when taking about how Stanford signed a #1 player. I believe Elena Delle Donne was rated #1 player by all the recruiting services though.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
sammieee wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

easy. UConn gets the #1 h.s player way more than other any school, and year after year. Stanford has signed 2 h.s #1 players, both O sisters. UConn has signed about 10-12 number 1 h.s players in last 20 or so years. Stewie, KML, Maya, Taurasi, Charles, to name of few. Each one of those players gave UConn 1-2 NCs.

I've always thought the women need to reduce the number of scholies from 15 to 13, or even 12, to spread the talent.

Was Nneka even a #1 on any service? Remember she's in the same class at EDD, and I remember EDD pretty much rated #1 everywhere. Nneka did win one of those POY awards (I think).

as I said above, Stanford signed two #1 h.s. players, both O sisters. So in 29 years under Tara, Stanford got 2, Geno in same time, got a lot more. Good for him. Put him at Stanford, he gets the same number as Tara.

In college, Nneka did not get any POY awards. She was robbed like Chiney. I'm not bitter, at all.

Put Tara at Storrs and she gets 2 fewer than she has at Stanford. Geno recruited kids to a school next to a cow pasture and with bad weather. Each faced challenges in building their programs. What Calhoun and Auriemma were able to build in Storrs, CT has been nothing short of remarkable.

I think, among other things, that one point hoop was making was that Tara is constrained by Stanford's admissions polices, while Geno is not.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
Put Tara at Storrs and she gets 2 fewer than she has at Stanford. Geno recruited kids to a school next to a cow pasture and with bad weather. Each faced challenges in building their programs. What Calhoun and Auriemma were able to build in Storrs, CT has been nothing short of remarkable.

I think, among other things, that one point hoop was making was that Tara is constrained by Stanford's admissions polices, while Geno is not.

And Calhoun was obviously not constrained by anything...

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/09/14 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
sammieee wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

exactly. And while Stanford in itself is a great draw, there are limitations due to admissions, being on west coast (we lost a lot good players because CA is too far, even though airplanes still work great). Also, we don't have the same media and ESPN coverage as UConn, not even close. That is a HUGE help in recruiting. Stanford is only 6k undergraduate students as well.

People forget, or those who listen to ESPN announcers, that ALL programs started with nothing, not just Geno. Tara was a successful coach at Ohio St. (F4 team) before coming to Stanford in 1985, the same year Geno got to Uconn. Stanford had same losing record as UConn, the same empty gym, no star players, but from the start, Stanford backed Tara immediately with a $250k annual recruitment budget to get kids nationally, which helped her land top players and a NC within 5 years, 5 years before Geno got his first. During the 90's the women outdrew the men and there was standing room only in Maples.

Yeah, only 2 NCs sucks, we could have 4-5 more if we had better luck on injuries and not having Sally Bell in Cincy. Smile Still, 12 Final Fours and 2 NC isn't too shabby. So my pt, I have no doubt Tara would have equal success at UConn that she's had at Stanford, but I don't believe Geno would have equal success or better record at Stanford given the admissions rate.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/09/14 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:

Here's a look at the history of other top women's team sports over the past 20 years.

(I've actually wanted to do this comparison for some time, this thread finally spurred me to actually do the hour's worth of research):

WBB (1995-2014)

# of different champs: 7

Repeat champs: UConn, 9; Tennessee, 5; Baylor, 2

One-time champs: Purdue, Notre Dame, Maryland, Texas A&M

Volleyball (1994-2013)

Repeat champs: Penn State, 6; Stanford, 5; Nebraska, 3; USC, 2

One-time champs: Long Beach State, Washington, UCLA, Texas

Softball (1994-2013)

# of different champs: 9

Repeat champs: Arizona, 6; UCLA, 5; Arizona State, 2; Oklahoma, 2

One-time champs: Fresno State, California, Michigan, Washington, Alabama

Soccer (1994-2013)

Repeat champs: North Carolina, 10; Notre Dame, 3; Portland, 2

One-Time champs: Florida, Santa Clara, USC, Stanford, UCLA

The numbers for all 4 women's sports are eerily similar.
For mens team sports--big $ or not--the trends are a little better, but they also follow a characteristic distribution pattern:

Mens Soccer (1994-2013)

Repeat champs: Indiana, 5; Virginia, 2; UCLA, 2; North Carolina, 2; Maryland, 2

One-time champs: Wisconsin, St. Johns, UConn, UCSB, Wake Forest, Akron, Notre Dame

Mens Baseball (1994-2013)

Repeat champs: LSU, 4; Miami, 2; Texas, 2; Oregon State, 2; South Carolina, 2; Cal State Fullerton 2

One-time champs: Oklahoma, USC, Rice, Fresno State, Arizona, UCLA

Mens Basketball (1995-2014)

Repeat champs: UConn, 4; Kentucky, 3; Duke, 2; North Carolina, 2; Florida, 2

One-time champs: UCLA, Arizona, Michigan State, Maryland, Syracuse, Kansas, Louisville

This leads me to propose that (1) There's not really anything different about WBB. The lack of what you'd call parity is just a product of how the system of college athletics works. (2) For some reason, the system behaves differently with male sports. In other words, I hypothesize that the difference between the average of about 8 different champs in the women's sports and 12 on the men's side is significant, but I don't know what it means.

(I did not cherry-pick these sports at all, they just happen to be the seven I'm most aware of. It was very weird seeing the same magic number emerge out the data every time.)

great post. I was thinking the same thing, especially in vball and soccer. So to me, it goes back to not enough great athletes to make the difference. Only one Taurais, Moore, Stewie, O sister, etc, so that is why I'm in favor of reducing scholies.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/10/14 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me give you a ND perspective on this. Warning, this will be rather long.

First of all, coaching-wise, based on the last few years (and actually, most of the time that ND has been a top 3, or even top 5 team), ND has competed well with UConn.

However, the main problem ND has had was recruiting. They had problems getting as many top flight recruits. They'd get a few, but not a lot.

ND went to the Final Four in 1997 with a team that had 4 senior starters. Four years later they won the NC with a team that had a lot of senior leadership. The problem was that McGraw couldn't turn that into success in recruiting. Having 2 Final Fours with teams full of seniors doesn't say to talented players "Hey, come here!"

ND for the next 10 years was a good, but not great team (when you look at things like winning percentage, rankings, and Sweet Sixteen appearances, they'd be in the top 5-6 programs, but they didn't make it past the Sweet Sixteen). They'd get strong top 25 recruits (not a lot, but some), but nothing that jumped out as "Hey, this is THE class!"

Then Diggins showed up. She helped with recruiting, convincing Loyd to come aboard.

Also, it should be noted that Loyd (a current sophomore) committed after ND's first Final Four in 10 years. Getting to the NC game that year might have been considered a fluke, but ND returned most of their players and did it again. Suddenly, recruiting opened up for ND (#3 ranked Reimer. And Allen was a McDonald's AA who was on one of the USA teams). ND lost 3 starters that NC team and some people saw their downfall...until ND went 3-1 vs UConn, losing in the Semis. ND now seemed a bit of a power (although this was attributed to Diggins).

Now the recruiting door swung open a lot, with ND getting Brianna Turner (Gatorade POY, and unlike Diggins, not just a local recruit who wanted to play in front of her home crowd) and Kathryn Westbeld.

So basically, ND recruiting, which was it's original Achilles' Heel is now going in full swing. One ND poster on another board wondered about Stewart choosing UConn over ND. She said she wanted to win 4 NCs. In retrospect, that doesn't look as good (if she had chosen ND at the time, ND likely would have won the last two NCs. Look at the stats). However, at the time she was being recruited, that didn't seem likely, and UConn would have been the no brainer.

ND's success and rising to "elite status" is recent. It's only now showing up in recruiting. As it does, you'll get those NC games you are looking for.

As I said to someone who commented on this year's NC game, "The problem was that the players ND needed to counter UConn were either freshmen or are coming in next year."

joetro

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And that the big player ND had to help counter UCONN was out with an ACL injury.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/10/14 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Were there any staff changes at ND that happened at roughly the same time as the improvement in recruiting?

At Cal, Kevin Morrison turned things around by tapping into SoCal talent, and often it's assistant coaches who do a lot of the heavy lifting.

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:

The subject of the number of scholarships came up at a WBCA session this last week. One former WBCA president reported that the majority of coaches prefer staying with 15. However, the coaches aren't calling the shots, and a change to 13 is very possible. Keep in mind though, that one of the reasons for 15 is Title 9 considerations, so the decision cannot be made simply in the context of what is best for wbb.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:

snip

That's extremely interesting.

I'd like to see it extended to other sports, and done for rolling 20 year periods to see if and how it is changing over time.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

The subject of the number of scholarships came up at a WBCA session this last week. One former WBCA president reported that the majority of coaches prefer staying with 15. However, the coaches aren't calling the shots, and a change to 13 is very possible. Keep in mind though, that one of the reasons for 15 is Title 9 considerations, so the decision cannot be made simply in the context of what is best for wbb.

Yea, I understand the Title IX considerations, but if they look at big picture, 13 scholies is better to grow the game, imho.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Let me give you a ND perspective on this. Warning, this will be rather long.

First of all, coaching-wise, based on the last few years (and actually, most of the time that ND has been a top 3, or even top 5 team), ND has competed well with UConn.

However, the main problem ND has had was recruiting. They had problems getting as many top flight recruits. They'd get a few, but not a lot.

ND went to the Final Four in 1997 with a team that had 4 senior starters. Four years later they won the NC with a team that had a lot of senior leadership. The problem was that McGraw couldn't turn that into success in recruiting. Having 2 Final Fours with teams full of seniors doesn't say to talented players "Hey, come here!"

ND for the next 10 years was a good, but not great team (when you look at things like winning percentage, rankings, and Sweet Sixteen appearances, they'd be in the top 5-6 programs, but they didn't make it past the Sweet Sixteen). They'd get strong top 25 recruits (not a lot, but some), but nothing that jumped out as "Hey, this is THE class!"

Then Diggins showed up. She helped with recruiting, convincing Loyd to come aboard.

Also, it should be noted that Loyd (a current sophomore) committed after ND's first Final Four in 10 years. Getting to the NC game that year might have been considered a fluke, but ND returned most of their players and did it again. Suddenly, recruiting opened up for ND (#3 ranked Reimer. And Allen was a McDonald's AA who was on one of the USA teams). ND lost 3 starters that NC team and some people saw their downfall...until ND went 3-1 vs UConn, losing in the Semis. ND now seemed a bit of a power (although this was attributed to Diggins).

Now the recruiting door swung open a lot, with ND getting Brianna Turner (Gatorade POY, and unlike Diggins, not just a local recruit who wanted to play in front of her home crowd) and Kathryn Westbeld.

So basically, ND recruiting, which was it's original Achilles' Heel is now going in full swing. One ND poster on another board wondered about Stewart choosing UConn over ND. She said she wanted to win 4 NCs. In retrospect, that doesn't look as good (if she had chosen ND at the time, ND likely would have won the last two NCs. Look at the stats). However, at the time she was being recruited, that didn't seem likely, and UConn would have been the no brainer.

ND's success and rising to "elite status" is recent. It's only now showing up in recruiting. As it does, you'll get those NC games you are looking for.

As I said to someone who commented on this year's NC game, "The problem was that the players ND needed to counter UConn were either freshmen or are coming in next year."

agree with your pt about Diggins opening the recruiting door not only for her talent but her marketing appeal and national media attention. If she would have chosen Stanford, recruitment may or may not improved for guards, but we certainly would have won 1-2 NCs with her. Danm her. Very Happy

Phil

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like Clay, I'd like to know more. I thought the 2001 NC, coupled with the prestige of ND would translate to more success than happened over the next few years, but then the situation seems to have changed. Is it as simple as Diggnis wanting to stay local, and her personality creating a knock-on effect? Or was there a new assistant with better recruiting skills?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/14 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

I would think that Title IX situation could easily be fixed by taking those two scholarships and adding them elsewhere. For example by increasing the number of scholarships for women's soccer and softball by one each. There are certainly plenty of women's sports where there is room for more scholarships to be permitted.

I'm more curious how much difference it would make. It seems some top schools like UConn and Notre Dame never go above 12 or 13 anyhow. Has anyone actually looked at how many schools routinely have more than 13 scholarship players and where those schools stand in the recruiting pecking order?

I wonder (but don't know) whether the higher number is actually more useful to schools who don't have the luxury of cherry picking top recruits and need to take more chances by recruiting more players and seeing who works out. Which schools are the main supporters of staying at 15 and why?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/10/14 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm more curious how much difference it would make. It seems some top schools like UConn and Notre Dame never go above 12 or 13 anyhow. Has anyone actually looked at how many schools routinely have more than 13 scholarship players and where those schools stand in the recruiting pecking order?

I wonder (but don't know) whether the higher number is actually more useful to schools who don't have the luxury of cherry picking top recruits and need to take more chances by recruiting more players and seeing who works out. Which schools are the main supporters of staying at 15 and why?

I've looked at this periodically over the years, and you're much more likely to see 15 players on the rosters of not-so-good programs than on very good programs, although it isn't completely consistent. At the top end, coaches are reluctant to recruit players to fill out the roster because a fair number of the mid-level talent would rather go somewhere they can play regularly than sit on the bench, and there isn't much benefit to getting lower-level players.

Last edited by beknighted on 04/10/14 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Phil

PostPosted: 04/10/14 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Phil wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

Yea, I understand the Title IX considerations, but if they look at big picture, 13 scholies is better to grow the game, imho.

I agree. I support going to 13, just wanted to point out that there are considerations that extend beyond the wbb world.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/10/14 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I did a survey of the top schools, because I knew some of the top programs were under the max. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I posted it. Whatever I did, it is now dated, and worth revisiting.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/11/14 4:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Like Clay, I'd like to know more. I thought the 2001 NC, coupled with the prestige of ND would translate to more success than happened over the next few years, but then the situation seems to have changed. Is it as simple as Diggnis wanting to stay local, and her personality creating a knock-on effect? Or was there a new assistant with better recruiting skills?

A little bit of both. Niele Ivey was added (McGraw said when she was first hired that her first job was to get Diggins).

That being said, it's clear that Ivey's initial influence was largely guard based (Diggins, Loyd, Mabrey, etc.).

The key for ND's future is a more rounded team and Reimer committed after ND showed some success. Add to that Turner coming in next year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/11/14 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That would make Ivey an even more viable head coaching candidate ...

Or, to put it another way, when she wants a head job, she'll get one.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: