RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND/UConn Lost "Civility"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Thanks, I got what he was saying, but that isn't what I typed so I figured that I would ignore it.

Nowhere did I condemn Husky Nation. I clearly said 'some UConn people.' I even narrowed it down to one possibility.

It seems to me that SOME UConn people like putting words in other people's mouths.

Except then what was the meaning behind your story? What was the purpose of the story other then to note how some UConn fans behave?

I mean, a similar story could be told about every single fan base in the nation.

What was the meaning?

This is a thread about the lack of civility in the ND/UConn rivalry. What happened to my friends show that's it has moved from the teams to include fans also.

And I don't think that you're right about a similar story being said about "every single fan base in the nation." At least I hope you're not. Not to that level.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

markinct wrote:
Coffey just took the words right out of my mouth. It's not up to Uconn to lighten up at all, it's up to the other teams to catch up. Had Natalie not gone down, this would have been a better game, the Irish are a much better team.

Having said that, the next argument would be, well...Uconn has the best players. Well, we've heard ALL SEASON long on ESPN that nobody recruited Stefanie Dolson , she was overweight, slow and didn't show much promise but look at what the coaching staff has produced.

I can't help but wonder if the opinion that Uconn is dominant was expressed in the same way when Tennessee was the dominant force?

But did she sign her LOI on the hood of a car? Wink

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/09/14 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Success in college sports is about recruiting, recruiting, and recruiting.

UConn does it better than anyone in women's basketball on a year-in, year-out basis, and has done so for years. And once they get the players, they make them better -- which, in turn, makes it easier to recruit.

Could UConn not win the National Championship next year? Sure. A couple injuries, a breakthrough season for another school, some really bad luck -- but realistically, it's the best team because it has the best talent and best coaching.

I think Notre Dame is right behind, for the same reasons, and Louisville is clearly on the rise. At the same time, though, it seems to me Stanford will take a step back and Tennessee's future is somewhat in doubt.

I'm probably missing someone, but right now, the 2014-15 season would look to be dominated by another small group of teams, with a pack of solid schools a step or so behind.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN needs to shoulder some of the blame for the loss of civility. They love personalities and off-the-court conflict. Geno Auriemma is their wisecracking, snarky guy. The game and its media coverage should focus on the players, not the coaches.

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/09/14 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
ESPN needs to shoulder some of the blame for the loss of civility. They love personalities and off-the-court conflict. Geno Auriemma is their wisecracking, snarky guy. The game and its media coverage should focus on the players, not the coaches.

Oh God, I never want to see another "Three to see" coverage!

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/09/14 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
And I don't think that you're right about a similar story being said about "every single fan base in the nation." At least I hope you're not. Not to that level.

You honestly don't believe that there is a group of immature adult-children on every single campus in the nation that has said something in a similar vein to fans of an opposing rival team?

As a professor, I have seen it first hand both by students at my university and directed at our students by others. I can't imagine that we are the outliers. And I saw the same at the various universities I attended as an undergraduate and graduate student.

As long as what you meant was that this sort of behavior happens in the most general of senses, then there is nothing wrong with that. But in that case it really has no impact on the civility of UConn vs. ND, but rather about the level of civility in college sports as a whole. Thus the fact that they were UConn fans was incidental to the story. It could have been about the subset of immature fans from any random school.

But I had read it as you were using this anecdotal story to highlight behavior you felt demonstrated that the incivility at UConn was somehow "worse" than at other schools. That this was a unique event due to the immaturity of some UConn fans. And that is what we were objecting to.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I've always been a Geno supporter, but clearly he manages to alienate people he doesn't really need to alienate.

Pointless, at one level, but probably good for the game at another ...

His lies about an ND player yelling into the UConn locker room "Sucks to be you" are good for the game? Rolling Eyes

Whatever....

Ex, Where do you hear Geno saying that? Please provide a souce. Otherwise you are the liar ~~~~

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/14 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

user1688 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I've always been a Geno supporter, but clearly he manages to alienate people he doesn't really need to alienate.

His lies about an ND player yelling into the UConn locker room "Sucks to be you" are good for the game? Rolling Eyes

Whatever....

Ex, Where do you hear Geno saying that? Please provide a souce. Otherwise you are the liar ~~~~

Well, John Atlivila wrote the following:

"A blog by Hartford Courants UConn womens beat writer John Altavilla cited an unnamed UConn source in reporting that former Notre Dame player Becca Bruszewski opened the door to the Huskies locker room after the Irish beat UConn in the Final Four last April and yelled inside It must suck to be you. . . .

"According to Altavillas blog, Auriemma made a cryptic reference to the incident on his TV show earlier in the week." . . .

"Irish coach Muffet McGraw said that Auriemma told her about the incident at the Big East meetings in May. His version coincided with the version in Altavillas blog, that Bruszewski opened the locker room door and yelled at the UConn players."

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/south-bend-tribune-becca-bruszewski-denies-offending-uconn/

Maybe you ought to try Google next time before calling other people names.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/09/14 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Getting more heated and juicy, as Voepel and Smith stir the ESPN pot.

McGraw: "lack of respect", "bully"

Auriemma: "nonsense", "sh*t"

And for his ultimate, he called her a 'girl':

>>"This is a function of women's basketball. Sometimes we act like girls, like we're supposed to go to dinner every night. We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains out, try to win a national championship and compete like hell, Muffet and Geno, and then we're supposed to get together afterward and go have a bottle of wine. That's just not going to happen. So stop asking why it doesn't happen.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-nd-rivalry-0408-20140407,0,7854777.story <<

Way to alienate your audience, buddy.

The girls part is a bad move.

Other than that, he's not really wrong.

incredibly sexist comment and completely missed the mark on his audience. Doh! Geno, you have daughters, a wife, women assistants, women players. WTF?

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/09/14 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

>>"This is a function of women's basketball. Sometimes we act like girls, like we're supposed to go to dinner every night. We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains out, try to win a national championship and compete like hell, Muffet and Geno, and then we're supposed to get together afterward and go have a bottle of wine. That's just not going to happen. So stop asking why it doesn't happen.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-nd-rivalry-0408-20140407,0,7854777.story <<

incredibly sexist comment and completely missed the mark on his audience. Doh! Geno, you have daughters, a wife, women assistants, women players. WTF?

And again, not at all what he was saying. "Girls" was in reference to a specific role that the media seems to want to pigeonhole women athletes into. He wasn't saying that women are that, and in fact was stating the opposite.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

And again, not at all what he was saying. "Girls" was in reference to a specific role that the media seems to want to pigeonhole women athletes into. He wasn't saying that women are that, and in fact was stating the opposite.

I saw the press conference. He made reference to spat between he and Muffy that it was like acting "like girls", which is a negative reference. Why say girls? Why not immature or childish? Girls wasn't necessary.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/09/14 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I saw the press conference. He made reference to spat between he and Muffy that it was like acting "like girls", which is a negative reference. Why say girls? Why not immature or childish? Girls wasn't necessary.

So are you saying the part about they are suppose to go out and have a bottle of wine after they play for the national championship is not part of the same quote? If it is part of the same quote it would not make any sense to say childish or immature because being childish or immature have nothing to do with going out and having a bottle of wine after. There is the notion that many people still believe that in women's sports everyone is suppose to be best friends off the court, and cheer for all of their opponents to do well and that is not the case and it is never going to be the case in women's sports and I took his "girl" reference to that belief. And he also says "we" so are you saying he was calling himself a girl as well?

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/09/14 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

You honestly don't believe that there is a group of immature adult-children on every single campus in the nation that has said something in a similar vein to fans of an opposing rival team?

As a professor, I have seen it first hand both by students at my university and directed at our students by others. I can't imagine that we are the outliers. And I saw the same at the various universities I attended as an undergraduate and graduate student.

As long as what you meant was that this sort of behavior happens in the most general of senses, then there is nothing wrong with that. But in that case it really has no impact on the civility of UConn vs. ND, but rather about the level of civility in college sports as a whole. Thus the fact that they were UConn fans was incidental to the story. It could have been about the subset of immature fans from any random school.

But I had read it as you were using this anecdotal story to highlight behavior you felt demonstrated that the incivility at UConn was somehow "worse" than at other schools. That this was a unique event due to the immaturity of some UConn fans. And that is what we were objecting to.

I have been part of the UCLA-USC rivalry, just living in LA you see it all the time, people yelling at other people on the street for wearing a UCLA shirt or USC shirt, during games it's really bad, I've seen people throwing food at a person wearing a shirt of the opposing team, I've also heard a person tell a friend to take off her UCLA jacket, it wasn't allowed here, and this is when we were going to a UCLA game at the Sports Arena, when the men's team was doing their tour because Pauley was being renovated, keeping in mind they were not playing USC at the time.

I agree with Justintyme that not everyone in a given fanbase is like that, but I'd say it's almost a given that there are at least a few in every fanbase. Unfortunately it's those few that people will come across and associate them with the whole fanbase.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/09/14 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

UConn does it better than anyone in women's basketball on a year-in, year-out basis, and has done so for years. And once they get the players, they make them better -- which, in turn, makes it easier to recruit.

Could UConn not win the National Championship next year? Sure. A couple injuries, a breakthrough season for another school, some really bad luck -- but realistically, it's the best team because it has the best talent and best coaching.

I think Notre Dame is right behind, for the same reasons, and Louisville is clearly on the rise. At the same time, though, it seems to me Stanford will take a step back and Tennessee's future is somewhat in doubt.

I'm probably missing someone, but right now, the 2014-15 season would look to be dominated by another small group of teams, with a pack of solid schools a step or so behind.

North Carolina.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
ClayK wrote:

North Carolina.

And S Car, and Texas (the three new guards are just what they needed to add), and Duke (still have Williams and Henson and Chidom, and presumably Jones and Greenwell returning, and some good incoming freshmen). And perhaps Ky, and OhSt after January when their transfers bevome eligible.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/09/14 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I can't speak about every school, but I've been going to women's bball games since the 1987-88 season. In that time, I've been to around 700 games from ODU to Hawaii and Minnesota to Texas. What was said to my friends was worse than anything I've ever heard a fan of one school say to a fan of another school...ever! Prior to that it was on the level of your school sucks or something similarly benign.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/09/14 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
user1688 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Whatever....

Well, John Atlivila wrote the following:

"A blog by Hartford Courants UConn womens beat writer John Altavilla cited an unnamed UConn source in reporting that former Notre Dame player Becca Bruszewski opened the door to the Huskies locker room after the Irish beat UConn in the Final Four last April and yelled inside It must suck to be you. . . .

"According to Altavillas blog, Auriemma made a cryptic reference to the incident on his TV show earlier in the week." . . .

"Irish coach Muffet McGraw said that Auriemma told her about the incident at the Big East meetings in May. His version coincided with the version in Altavillas blog, that Bruszewski opened the locker room door and yelled at the UConn players."

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/south-bend-tribune-becca-bruszewski-denies-offending-uconn/

Maybe you ought to try Google next time before calling other people names.

Thanks Art.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

So are you saying the part about they are suppose to go out and have a bottle of wine after they play for the national championship is not part of the same quote? If it is part of the same quote it would not make any sense to say childish or immature because being childish or immature have nothing to do with going out and having a bottle of wine after. There is the notion that many people still believe that in women's sports everyone is suppose to be best friends off the court, and cheer for all of their opponents to do well and that is not the case and it is never going to be the case in women's sports and I took his "girl" reference to that belief. And he also says "we" so are you saying he was calling himself a girl as well?

I think he added the part about the wine to cover his ass about the comment about girls.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: