RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND/UConn Lost "Civility"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/07/14 11:02 am    ::: ND/UConn Lost "Civility"? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=mcgraw;pid=24238;d=this

I think she's right.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/14 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McGraw is saying pretty much the same thing Pat Summitt did about Geno.

PostPosted: 04/07/14 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard today at lunch that UConn and Notre Dame have scheduled a home and home. I don't know the reliability of that report.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 04/07/14 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Muffet didn't clap for Stewart when she won AP Player of the year...not saying Geno is a saint by any means, but come on.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/07/14 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Muffet didn't clap for Stewart when she won AP Player of the year

Just curious. How do you know this?

Perhaps Muffet doesn't understand subtle Philly humor.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/07/14 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno: Not sharing wine with McGraw

http://tinyurl.com/n72sz4a

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/07/14 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
Muffet didn't clap for Stewart when she won AP Player of the year

Just curious. How do you know this?

Perhaps Muffet doesn't understand subtle Philly humor.

Actuslly, in Muffet's case (being from Philly herself) it might be because she does understand it and just doesn't like it. It seems she tries to be careful about using humor at someone else's expense. And we know that, for Geno, he's wide open, with himself being a primary target. A lot of people in the south don't like his humor at all. For me, I think he crosses the line sometimes but I think a lot of his schtick is used to diffuse jitters of his players in big games.

I do think that when TWO female icons of the game have the same response, he might want to make some effort to try to get along better. There's clearly something to it, the very foul and sarcastic opinions of many UConn fans notwithstanding. (yes, I admit I went to the Boneyard and it'll be awhile before I venture back).

~rAf
bullsky

PostPosted: 04/07/14 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this circus makes Muffet look bad.

PostPosted: 04/07/14 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raf, I was just trying to employ some subtle Philly humor.

Getting more heated and juicy, as Voepel and Smith stir the ESPN pot.

McGraw: "lack of respect", "bully"

Auriemma: "nonsense", "sh*t"

Howee

PostPosted: 04/07/14 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voepel (as always) is spot on. Her quote....
Quote:
McGraw's praise of Summitt's classiness was pointed in the direction of Auriemma. His quips suggesting the ACC wasn't all that great and "We use big words at Connecticut, too," were directed at Notre Dame.

....is very telling. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/07/14 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

And for his ultimate, he called her a 'girl':

>>"This is a function of women's basketball. Sometimes we act like girls, like we're supposed to go to dinner every night. We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains out, try to win a national championship and compete like hell, Muffet and Geno, and then we're supposed to get together afterward and go have a bottle of wine. That's just not going to happen. So stop asking why it doesn't happen.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-nd-rivalry-0408-20140407,0,7854777.story <<

Way to alienate your audience, buddy.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/08/14 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've always been a Geno supporter, but clearly he manages to alienate people he doesn't really need to alienate.

Pointless, at one level, but probably good for the game at another ...

PostPosted: 04/08/14 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

And for his ultimate, he called her a 'girl':

>>"This is a function of women's basketball. Sometimes we act like girls, like we're supposed to go to dinner every night. We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains out, try to win a national championship and compete like hell, Muffet and Geno, and then we're supposed to get together afterward and go have a bottle of wine. That's just not going to happen. So stop asking why it doesn't happen.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-nd-rivalry-0408-20140407,0,7854777.story <<

Way to alienate your audience, buddy.

The girls part is a bad move.

Other than that, he's not really wrong.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/08/14 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I've always been a Geno supporter, but clearly he manages to alienate people he doesn't really need to alienate.

His lies about an ND player yelling into the UConn locker room "Sucks to be you" are good for the game? Rolling Eyes

Whatever....

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/08/14 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My hotel is filled with UConn fans, and they all were talking about it this morning in the breakfast room. The kindest angle I heard on it was the guy I sat with, who said he figured that Muffet was trying to replace Pat as the counter to Geno in WCBB coaching. (And that actually makes some sense, although I think she'd say she's doing it on the court.) Otherwise, they ranged from contemptuous of her to much worse.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/14 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ClayK wrote:

His lies about an ND player yelling into the UConn locker room "Sucks to be you" are good for the game? Rolling Eyes

Whatever....

And you know this was a lie, how? Let's just say the people I know and trust say a lot of things about this rivalry that you can't possibly know.

EDIT: BTW, I've NEVER heard HIM say that. Others maybe but NEVER Geno himself nor have I ever heard the quote attributed to him by these people.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/14 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
My hotel is filled with UConn fans, and they all were talking about it this morning in the breakfast room. The kindest angle I heard on it was the guy I sat with, who said he figured that Muffet was trying to replace Pat as the counter to Geno in WCBB coaching. (And that actually makes some sense, although I think she'd say she's doing it on the court.) Otherwise, they ranged from contemptuous of her to much worse.

Meh, I think she's trying to out-Geno Geno.

Just trying to put the focus on her and him, and off her kids so they don't have to answer 800 questions about playing without Achonwa.

norwester

PostPosted: 04/08/14 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Meh, I think she's trying to out-Geno Geno.

Just trying to put the focus on her and him, and off her kids so they don't have to answer 800 questions about playing without Achonwa.

Right? Tempest in a teapot. Two coaches taking the focus off their kids, trying to loosen them up. Seems like typical pre-game media gamesmanship to me. I like Muffet. I like Geno. Media bickering isn't going to worry me.

PostPosted: 04/08/14 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Whatever....

And you know this was a lie, how? Let's just say the people I know and trust say a lot of things about this rivalry that you can't possibly know.

Because this story doesn't even come close to ringing true when you think about it. An opposing player can get to the door of a team's locker room after a Final Four game? You think security would allow that?

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/08/14 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Whatever....

Because this story doesn't even come close to ringing true when you think about it. An opposing player can get to the door of a team's locker room after a Final Four game? You think security would allow that?

Not inconceivable really. Louisville's Russ Smith, after their sweet 16 loss, went to Kentucky's locker room to congratulate them.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/14 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Whatever....

Not inconceivable really. Louisville's Russ Smith, after their sweet 16 loss, went to Kentucky's locker room to congratulate them.

Smith didn't barge in unwelcome and unannounced. There's no similarity. The story isn't remotely plausible.

"Notre Dame womens basketball sports information director Chris Masters said that security was tight for the Final Four, and that NCAA representatives were stationed outside and inside of every locker room. There were NCAA observers right there, Masters said. If this happened, we would have gotten disciplined. There would have been a letter of reprimand. That never happened."

The story was spread by John Altivilla in his blog. It's not the first or last time that mouthpiece will be used by Geno to spread nonsense.

Oh, and conveniently it was "leaked" to Altivilla for him to print almost a year after it supposedly happened, and right before ND was playing UConn in Hartford. So you think if this actually happened, no one - not a coach, player, manager, security guard, reporter, NCAA monitor or any of the other throng of people there at the time would have said a word about it for a year? Yeah, right. That's what would happen.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/08/14 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
coffy73 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Whatever....

Smith didn't barge in unwelcome and unannounced. There's no similarity. The story isn't remotely plausible.

"Notre Dame womens basketball sports information director Chris Masters said that security was tight for the Final Four, and that NCAA representatives were stationed outside and inside of every locker room. There were NCAA observers right there, Masters said. If this happened, we would have gotten disciplined. There would have been a letter of reprimand. That never happened."

The story was spread by John Altivilla in his blog. It's not the first or last time that mouthpiece will be used by Geno to spread nonsense.

Oh, and conveniently it was "leaked" to Altivilla for him to print almost a year after it supposedly happened, and right before ND was playing UConn in Hartford. So you think if this actually happened, no one - not a coach, player, manager, security guard, reporter, NCAA monitor or any of the other throng of people there at the time would have said a word about it for a year? Yeah, right. That's what would happen.

As CBiebel and Art have said, there's no way it passes the smell test. No way that anything happened the way it was put out that it did. There would have been other witnesses that would have come forward and as Art posted the reply of Chris Masters, there would have been sanctions.

My friends went on a boat ride the other day. They told me they were told by some UConn people that they had to "sit in the back of the boat." I suppose that was just a 'misunderstanding.' Probably one of Geno's relatives!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/14 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

EDIT: BTW, I've NEVER heard HIM say that. Others maybe but NEVER Geno himself nor have I ever heard the quote attributed to him by these people.

Well, according to Elliot, Geno referred to it in his radio show
http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2012/02/27/comment-by-bruszewski-fuels-fire-between-uconnnotre-dame/

And McGraw said that Geno said it to her in person.
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/south-bend-tribune-becca-bruszewski-denies-offending-uconn/

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/14 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Well, according to Elliot, Geno referred to it in his radio show
http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2012/02/27/comment-by-bruszewski-fuels-fire-between-uconnnotre-dame/

And McGraw said that Geno said it to her in person.
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/south-bend-tribune-becca-bruszewski-denies-offending-uconn/

Art read it again. Elliot says from a source and says Auriemma made reference to an incident on his show. Never said that was it.

Read the second one. Becca admits saying that sucks right in front of the UConn coaching staff.

Statements get misinterpreted all the time. It may not be 100% accurate either way, and I'm sure it's not. You'll note that Hoopfeed and I NEVER REPORTED ON THIS because of that, but for you guys to say there's no way its true doesn't pass MY smell test. Something happened in front of the UConn coaches, that there is little doubt.

Sorry, I'm out on this. It's irrelevant.

You guys talk about obnoxious UConn fans? The way you guys come down on all things Husky is every bit as bad.

Last edited by dtsnms on 04/08/14 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/08/14 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just wish all parties would shut up and focus on the game.

Naive as that sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: