RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND/UConn Lost "Civility"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/14 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

My friends went on a boat ride the other day. They told me they were told by some UConn people that they had to "sit in the back of the boat." I suppose that was just a 'misunderstanding.' Probably one of Geno's relatives!

If your friends listened to a few obnoxious PEOPLE, that's their problem. The fandom is irrelevant.

I remember some Tennessee fans making comments to my kid in NO in 2004 about her being a Husky fan. I told her to ignore them and do what she wanted to do.

It's unfair and incorrect to blame an entire group of fans for a few jerks.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/14 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Art read it again. Elliot says from a source and says Auriemma made reference to an incident on his show. Never said that was it.

Read the second one. Becca admits saying that sucks right in front of the UConn coaching staff.

Don't hurt your back with those contortions. What Altavillia wrote was that Beccaa "opened the door to the Huskies locker room after the Irish beat UConn in the Final Four last April and yelled inside, It must suck to be you."

Not out in the hallway, not "that could have been us". But that she OPENED THE DOOR and SHOUTED INSIDE.

How do you "misinterpret" opening a door? None of what was leaked by UConn through its captive media ever happened. It was total fabrication.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/14 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Art read it again. Elliot says from a source and says Auriemma made reference to an incident on his show. Never said that was it.

Read the second one. Becca admits saying that sucks right in front of the UConn coaching staff.

Don't hurt your back with those contortions. What Altavillia wrote was that Beccaa "opened the door to the Huskies locker room after the Irish beat UConn in the Final Four last April and yelled inside, It must suck to be you."

Not out in the hallway, not "that could have been us". But that she OPENED THE DOOR and SHOUTED INSIDE.

How do you "misinterpret" opening a door? None of what was leaked by UConn through its captive media ever happened. It was total fabrication.

Okay, so tell me when I quoted Altavilla? Where did I agree with the statement she went into the locker room? Come on Art, you can do better than that.

I referred to Elliott, and I referred to Becca's comments, the direct quote.

You can believe all you want, and believe that everything Notre Dame is pure as the driven snow. It's okay with me Art.

I do have to ask Art, why are you so bitter?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/14 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Okay, so tell me when I quoted Altavilla? Where did I agree with the statement she went into the locker room? Come on Art, you can do better than that.

You can believe all you want, and believe that everything Notre Dame is pure as the driven snow. It's okay with me Art.

What? How can you address the accuracy of what was said and not quote the guy who said it? I don't even understand what you just wrote. Altivilla's the one who wrote it. Elliott and others repeated it. And it was a lie.

I'm not bitter but it does piss me off when UConn and its controlled media and its fans starts trashing other coaches and schools and fans for lack of class when it's them that puts out completely phony lies about other people. Then of course they deny it. They didn't make up lies about Bruszewski. They didn't make up homophobic slurs about the Tenn team. That all these stories revolve around one coach just happens to be a coincidence.

So Geno's pissed off that his team got left behind in the AAC and wants to blame someone for his plight. Too bad. Frankly, I think Muffet ought to follow Pat Summitt's lead and tell Geno to go pound sand.

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 04/08/14 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey;
Along came a Husky,
Who sat down beside her,
And frightened Miss Muffet away...

Actions speak louder than words Miss Muffet lets hope your players back you up tonight fo!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/14 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

What? How can you address the accuracy of what was said and not quote the guy who said it? I don't even understand what you just wrote. Altivilla's the one who wrote it. Elliott and others repeated it. And it was a lie.

I'm not bitter but it does piss me off when UConn and its controlled media and its fans starts trashing other coaches and schools and fans for lack of class when it's them that puts out completely phony lies about other people. Then of course they deny it. They didn't make up lies about Bruszewski. They didn't make up homophobic slurs about the Tenn team. That all these stories revolve around one coach just happens to be a coincidence.

So Geno's pissed off that his team got left behind in the AAC and wants to blame someone for his plight. Too bad. Frankly, I think Muffet ought to follow Pat Summitt's lead and tell Geno to go pound sand.

Parting thoughts because this is going nowhere.

I don't care what Altavilla wrote. You said Geno said this. You quoted Elliott.

Then you said Muffett said Geno said this. It was in an Altavilla blog. I ignored all the crap, and cut to Becca's quote.

So to summarize, I referred to Elliott, which was about something Geno said on his TV show, and a "source" from the school. I referred to Becca, who admitted she said something sucks in front of the UConn coaches.

There is no reason for me to quote, question, reference, agree with or disagree with Altavilla.

You said Geno said this. I said I've never heard him say this. I've heard others, I've never heard Geno.

That's all.

On the "controlled media," comments. They have a job to do. They cover UConn, just like Kurt covers Notre Dame. They write the stories in front of them. If you dislike them, that's okay. I'm sure they don't mind one bit as they cash their paychecks for reporting the stories before them. Any beat writer is "controlled" by the team that they cover. The fact there are more of them speaks volume to the amount of fans UConn has that read the papers. I think it's great.

Now, enjoy the game, and let's hope for a good one. Two outstanding teams, two amazing coaches, in a great setting.

And remember to take a drink everytime they say Pursuit Of Perfection.

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/08/14 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

And remember to take a drink everytime they say Pursuit Of Perfection.

Too risky, it's only Tuesday.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/14 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I don't care what Altavilla wrote. . . .

There is no reason for me to quote, question, reference, agree with or disagree with Altavilla.

I don't know how you discuss the truth of what Altivilla wrote if you don't care about or reference what Altivilla wrote. Since he's the one who spread the story publicly, what he wrote is the entire issue.

So I guess you're not addressing the one and only subject of the discussion. A lot of wasted words for nothing it seems.

dtsnms wrote:

On the "controlled media," comments. They have a job to do. They cover UConn, just like Kurt covers Notre Dame. They write the stories in front of them. If you dislike them, that's okay. I'm sure they don't mind one bit as they cash their paychecks for reporting the stories before them. Any beat writer is "controlled" by the team that they cover. The fact there are more of them speaks volume to the amount of fans UConn has that read the papers. I think it's great.

It's fine until the captors use that controlled media to spread lies and propaganda about others, and the captives go along blissfully without hesitation, and without concern for the truth of what they publish, because they know it will be red meat for their readers regardless.

They do have a job to do. But there are ethics in any job that should be honored.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/14 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I don't care what Altavilla wrote. . . .

I don't know how you discuss the truth of what Altivilla wrote if you don't care about or reference what Altivilla wrote. Since he's the one who spread the story publicly, what he wrote is the entire issue.

So I guess you're not addressing the one and only subject of the discussion. A lot of wasted words for nothing it seems.

Ah, here's the mistake....he is far from the only one that said it. I consider him as "one of the people that did" not the authority on the subject. You feel he is the authority on the subject.

I disagree with that premise, so we are talking on two parallel paths.

Let's agree to disagree.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/08/14 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Getting more heated and juicy, as Voepel and Smith stir the ESPN pot.

McGraw: "lack of respect", "bully"

Auriemma: "nonsense", "sh*t"

And for his ultimate, he called her a 'girl':

>>"This is a function of women's basketball. Sometimes we act like girls, like we're supposed to go to dinner every night. We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains out, try to win a national championship and compete like hell, Muffet and Geno, and then we're supposed to get together afterward and go have a bottle of wine. That's just not going to happen. So stop asking why it doesn't happen.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-nd-rivalry-0408-20140407,0,7854777.story <<

Way to alienate your audience, buddy.

The girls part is a bad move.

Other than that, he's not really wrong.

I too winced when I first heard this sound clip and his usage of the word "girls". It's such a loaded term that I was ready to get all up on my soapbox. But then I stopped to think about what he was really saying, and I pulled a complete 180. He wasn't calling his players or even McGraw "girls"; instead he was noting how society wants to pigeonhole the women's game into predetermined gender roles. His "girls" was noting that society (aka the media who keeps asking about "civility") wants young ladies to be "sugar and spice and everything nice". Then he makes no apologies as he notes, quite bluntly, that they aren't going to do that.

Think about it. Does the question of "civility" between two bitter rivals ever get broached in the men's game? Much less an actual expectation that the coaches get along?

Personally, I am glad that they don't. I like my sports with a little edge. I like the idea of gladiators who truly dislike each other battling it out. And I especially like it when the women's game is able to subvert the idea of a "gentle sex".

PostPosted: 04/08/14 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I've always been a Geno supporter, but clearly he manages to alienate people he doesn't really need to alienate.

Pointless, at one level, but probably good for the game at another ...

His lies about an ND player yelling into the UConn locker room "Sucks to be you" are good for the game? Rolling Eyes

Whatever....

Those weren't lies. The Bruiser said it. The denial was that she never opened the door to the UConn locker room prior to yelling it out. The door was open at the time. Other than that she did indeed act like a poor winner.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/08/14 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

I too winced when I first heard this sound clip and his usage of the word "girls". It's such a loaded term that I was ready to get all up on my soapbox. But then I stopped to think about what he was really saying, and I pulled a complete 180. He wasn't calling his players or even McGraw "girls"; instead he was noting how society wants to pigeonhole the women's game into predetermined gender roles. His "girls" was noting that society (aka the media who keeps asking about "civility") wants young ladies to be "sugar and spice and everything nice". Then he makes no apologies as he notes, quite bluntly, that they aren't going to do that.

Think about it. Does the question of "civility" between two bitter rivals ever get broached in the men's game? Much less an actual expectation that the coaches get along?

Personally, I am glad that they don't. I like my sports with a little edge. I like the idea of gladiators who truly dislike each other battling it out. And I especially like it when the women's game is able to subvert the idea of a "gentle sex".

I was just thinking, though, that this kind of drama doesn't really happen in the men's game, or at least not nearly that much. There is an occasional story on how some coach doesn't like another one, but nothing like Geno-Pat, or Geno-Muffet or even Freese-Walz (and I'm not even sure where that started, other than him leaving her for a head coaching job, which doesn't seem like a terrible thing). On the men's side, you're much more likely to get stories about a former assistant meeting his mentor in the NCAAs and how neither one really wants to have to play the other because of the great mutual respect they have for each other.

And it's interesting to me how Geno has been involved in a lot of these blowups. I'm not saying he's doing anything wrong (although I think he does some of it on purpose), but there's clearly something about his personality and approach that really annoys some female coaches. I'm the last person to say that Pat Summitt or Muffet McGraw is not a tough competitor, but it's clear that Geno, in particular, gets under their skin in ways that other coaches do not.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/08/14 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is relatively new to me, though I vaguely remember it:

So, as far as I can tell:

Becca Brusewski said something inappropriate to the UConn coaching staff and/or players outside their locker room a year ago.

This happened, right?

Geno referred to it. There seems to be some disagreement as to whether he said that Becca opened the doors of the locker room, or if John Altavilla said that, but there's no disagreement that the words were said.

Or so I gather.

If all this is correct, what's the issue? Geno referred to something that actually happened.

Now, the other half of this is that Geno and Muffet are having a bit of a spitting match, much like his relationship with Pat Summitt. It could be that Geno's a jerk to his opposition, or that this is a blown-up media event.

This I would call Geno out on, but the other stuff doesn't really make sense to me unless I don't understand it correctly.

PostPosted: 04/08/14 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best part of this whole thread...is that the direction this thread went in....it totally proves that both coaches know what they are doing....

YOU ALL started talking about them instead of the kids and the game. Perfect!

Howee

PostPosted: 04/08/14 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
This is relatively new to me, though I vaguely remember it:

So, as far as I can tell:

Becca Brusewski said something inappropriate to the UConn coaching staff and/or players outside their locker room a year ago.

This happened, right?

Well, IFF it did, it wasn't a year ago. She's been gone longer than that. I believe it was at the 2011 FF, after ND defeated UConn in the semis, maybe?

ClayK wrote:
Now, the other half of this is that Geno and Muffet are having a bit of a spitting match, much like his relationship with Pat Summitt. It could be that Geno's a jerk to his opposition, or that this is a blown-up media event.
This I would call Geno out on, but the other stuff doesn't really make sense to me unless I don't understand it correctly.

I *believe* it's only the opposition that has a chance of beating his team/has beaten his team. Razz

PostPosted: 04/08/14 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

My friends went on a boat ride the other day. They told me they were told by some UConn people that they had to "sit in the back of the boat." I suppose that was just a 'misunderstanding.' Probably one of Geno's relatives!

If your friends listened to a few obnoxious PEOPLE, that's their problem. The fandom is irrelevant.

I remember some Tennessee fans making comments to my kid in NO in 2004 about her being a Husky fan. I told her to ignore them and do what she wanted to do.

No the problem was that a few obnoxious people said something very rude to them. The UConn fans weren't talking amongst themselves. They SPOKE DIRECTLY to my friends. So all-knowing one, how do you un-hear something that is said right to you?

But don't worry, they'll forgive them. After all, they're ND fans! But they'll never not hear it.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/08/14 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

No the problem was that a few obnoxious people said something very rude to them. The UConn fans weren't talking amongst themselves. They SPOKE DIRECTLY to my friends. So all-knowing one, how do you un-hear something that is said right to you?

But don't worry, they'll forgive them. After all, they're ND fans! But they'll never not hear it.

I think you missed what dtsnms was saying. He wasn't saying they shouldn't listen, but rather that you were characterizing an entire fan base based upon what a small group of people said. That those people happened to be UConn fans is incidental in the story. Basically, your friends met some assholes, but assholes are not unique to UConn.
They exist in every fan base, especially college ones, since they are made up of college students who have not fully matured yet.

So, people, not UConn people.

PostPosted: 04/08/14 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I think you missed what dtsnms was saying. He wasn't saying they shouldn't listen, but rather that you were characterizing an entire fan base based upon what a small group of people said. That those people happened to be UConn fans is incidental in the story. Basically, your friends met some assholes, but assholes are not unique to UConn.
They exist in every fan base, especially college ones, since they are made up of college students who have not fully matured yet.

So, people, not UConn people.

Thanks, I got what he was saying, but that isn't what I typed so I figured that I would ignore it.

Nowhere did I condemn Husky Nation. I clearly said 'some UConn people.' I even narrowed it down to one possibility.

It seems to me that SOME UConn people like putting words in other people's mouths.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/08/14 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Thanks, I got what he was saying, but that isn't what I typed so I figured that I would ignore it.

Nowhere did I condemn Husky Nation. I clearly said 'some UConn people.' I even narrowed it down to one possibility.

It seems to me that SOME UConn people like putting words in other people's mouths.

Except then what was the meaning behind your story? What was the purpose of the story other then to note how some UConn fans behave?

I mean, a similar story could be told about every single fan base in the nation.

PostPosted: 04/08/14 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
My hotel is filled with UConn fans, and they all were talking about it this morning in the breakfast room. The kindest angle I heard on it was the guy I sat with, who said he figured that Muffet was trying to replace Pat as the counter to Geno in WCBB coaching. (And that actually makes some sense, although I think she'd say she's doing it on the court.) Otherwise, they ranged from contemptuous of her to much worse.

Muffet and Geno have been civil to friendly for years..and all of a sudden she's making comments like this?

Honestly, that's my take on it. They're trying to bring some attention to the game.

PostPosted: 04/08/14 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Except then what was the meaning behind your story? What was the purpose of the story other then to note how some UConn fans behave?

I mean, a similar story could be told about every single fan base in the nation.

Most UConn fans, in my experience, are fairly nice, in person, if sometimes oblivious to how some of the things they say will annoy fans of other teams. The guy who I was sitting with at breakfast this morning spent a couple of minutes telling me about the wonders of the UConn offense and how the team didn't run plays at all, but depended on court awareness. (A great combination of something that wasn't true - I've seen UConn point guards call plays, and of course they have set inbounds plays and the like - and something that's true of a lot of offensive schemes, even if the best UConn teams do it better than nearly anyone else.) I understood he wasn't trying to annoy me, so just listened until he was done and then we turned to a different topic. (And, as a general rule, I'm too polite to tell them that I'm being annoyed, and besides it doesn't help.) On the whole, it was a perfectly congenial interaction.

However, there is a significant minority that is more obnoxious than average, and it seems that nearly all non-UConn fans have witnessed examples. My personal favorite in my own experience is when I encountered a group of UConn fans in the Houston airport on the way back from one of their championships (maybe 2004), stopped to congratulate them and was told that they should have won by a bigger margin. I haven't had that experience with other fan bases, and Tennessee fans in particular always have been very gracious, with some even telling me in 2007 that they actually wouldn't mind so much if Rutgers won the national championship game. (Yes, I know they were lying, but it still was impressive.) (I realize that UConn fans are unlikely to have the same experience that I do with Lady Vol fans, though.)

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/08/14 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It turns out this little "spat" provided the only drama before, during or after this game. It was simply the most boring championship game ever. Can somebody else PLEASE knock the Huskies down a peg? This "king of the world" thing has gotten very old. Hard for me to imagine turning the channel away from the game adn yet I did exactly that. No interest in this year's carnage. None. Zero. Zip. And I think most fans in the other 49 states feel similarly. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

~rAf
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/09/14 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Getting more heated and juicy, as Voepel and Smith stir the ESPN pot.

McGraw: "lack of respect", "bully"

Auriemma: "nonsense", "sh*t"

And for his ultimate, he called her a 'girl':

>>"This is a function of women's basketball. Sometimes we act like girls, like we're supposed to go to dinner every night. We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains out, try to win a national championship and compete like hell, Muffet and Geno, and then we're supposed to get together afterward and go have a bottle of wine. That's just not going to happen. So stop asking why it doesn't happen.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-nd-rivalry-0408-20140407,0,7854777.story <<

Way to alienate your audience, buddy.

The girls part is a bad move.

Other than that, he's not really wrong.

I didn't take his comment to mean he was calling her or anyone specifically a girl, but as an overall generalization that as a women's sport people must be act a certain way. It reminded me when I learned about the early years of women's sports that they would have competitions, that men weren't allowed to watch, and then after they would have a big party afterward because that was the ladylike thing to do, I think these were called "Playdays." And there are still people is think women's sports should be like that, of course not to that extent, but they think women athletes should still act feminine in the sense that they shouldn't show emotion, act competition, etc. on and off the court.

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/09/14 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
It turns out this little "spat" provided the only drama before, during or after this game. It was simply the most boring championship game ever. Can somebody else PLEASE knock the Huskies down a peg? This "king of the world" thing has gotten very old. Hard for me to imagine turning the channel away from the game adn yet I did exactly that. No interest in this year's carnage. None. Zero. Zip. And I think most fans in the other 49 states feel similarly. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I love watching UConn dismantle teams, their offense is beautiful! It's up to the rest of the teams to coach up to UConn's level really, until then...

markinct

PostPosted: 04/09/14 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coffey just took the words right out of my mouth. It's not up to Uconn to lighten up at all, it's up to the other teams to catch up. Had Natalie not gone down, this would have been a better game, the Irish are a much better team.

Having said that, the next argument would be, well...Uconn has the best players. Well, we've heard ALL SEASON long on ESPN that nobody recruited Stefanie Dolson , she was overweight, slow and didn't show much promise but look at what the coaching staff has produced.

I can't help but wonder if the opinion that Uconn is dominant was expressed in the same way when Tennessee was the dominant force?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: