RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What just happened at Kentucky?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ball4life

PostPosted: 04/04/14 8:15 pm    ::: What just happened at Kentucky? Reply Reply with quote

Coaches fired after sweet 16 run.

ball4life

PostPosted: 04/04/14 8:20 pm    ::: Link Reply Reply with quote

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/04/04/3178703/kentuckys-mitchell-fires-two-assistant.html?sp=/99/268/798/

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 04/04/14 8:43 pm    ::: Wow Reply Reply with quote

$140,000 for an asst coach. That's probably more pay than for 50% of the head coaches in Div 1.

Okay Rebkellians, who has the chart of HC salaries?

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/04/14 10:13 pm    ::: Re: What just happened at Kentucky? Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
Coaches fired after sweet 16 run.

I don't know if something specific happened but given that he hired the WNBA coach to help with the offense he may not be happy with the progress there? They were held under 60 in some games against UGA, South Carolina and some others. Getting swept by UF had to be a surprise.

For Pillow maybe the post play just wasn't as good as expected? Did Kentucky lose on some recruits they expected to get? Her and Mitchell go way back to UT so this could just have been a tough decision where he thinks he can upgrade the staff. Kentucky returns 5 McDonald's All Americans and adds a 6th as a freshman so expectations may be very high and Mitchell may want to make sure they are better than they were this year?

Howee

PostPosted: 04/04/14 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm more or less neutral about both KY schools (KY and L'ville) but I was kinda high on Matt when he began. And I like a lot of what he's done over the past seasons. But I'm beginning to not be impressed, not because of his win/loss record, but I'm just getting the impression he's a bit of a blowhard. I've watched some of his cable programs, and he just left me with the impression that he's got a bigger/better impression of himself that is deserved.

PostPosted: 04/05/14 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pillow should have been gone a long time ago. The talent we had with our post players was wasted with her as a coach. They really didn't progress as much as most thought they would.

I'm not surprised about House. He was brought in for his offensive knowledge and his system wasn't a good fit.

Losing Elzy & Insell has a much larger impact than losing these two. We'll see if Mitchell can bring in some quality hires.

Howee, I agree that he is full of himself. Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/14 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Pillow should have been gone a long time ago. The talent we had with our post players was wasted with her as a coach. They really didn't progress as much as most thought they would.

I'm not surprised about House. He was brought in for his offensive knowledge and his system wasn't a good fit.

Losing Elzy & Insell has a much larger impact than losing these two. We'll see if Mitchell can bring in some quality hires.

We got Elzy back, and look what she's done with Izzy! Russell is coming along (like most big girls, she's progressing a little slower, but she passes well and her rebounding is better) and so are Graves and Jones. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/05/14 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That program was in NOWHEREs-land when he took it over. He created a following by putting a good product on the floor and offering up some zaniness - the cooking show and his Midnight Madness routine. Good for him to do what it takes to get fans to pay attention! To do that opposite the mens' team is pretty spectacular.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/05/14 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

marketing and attendance was started by DeMoss actually, but she burned out, left a young team and he capitalized and grew off the attendance Mickie built, they really need to get an upper deck curtain for Rupp and move some more home games there, but I agree Mitchell has been good for kentucky and the promotion has been mostly harmless.

That being said, this is a puzzling move, he better have some good names up his sleeve

PostPosted: 04/05/14 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

We got Elzy back, and look what she's done with Izzy! Russell is coming along (like most big girls, she's progressing a little slower, but she passes well and her rebounding is better) and so are Graves and Jones. Laughing

Yep. Summitt had been after Elzy several years. I think her illness tipped the scale. Elzy is a good one. Too bad she has no desire to be a head coach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/14 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

Yep. Summitt had been after Elzy several years. I think her illness tipped the scale. Elzy is a good one. Too bad she has no desire to be a head coach.

I think Elzy works well in partnership. She's still fairly young and may change her mind about being a head coach in the future. She was enormously popular as a player at UT and is equally popular as a coach She always was one of my favorites for her work ethic; when she was rehabbing her knee I would sometimes get to games early and see her running in the concourse at TBA.

PostPosted: 04/05/14 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
marketing and attendance was started by DeMoss actually, but she burned out, left a young team and he capitalized and grew off the attendance Mickie built, they really need to get an upper deck curtain for Rupp and move some more home games there, but I agree Mitchell has been good for kentucky and the promotion has been mostly harmless.

That being said, this is a puzzling move, he better have some good names up his sleeve

UK was a perfect situation for a good coach once we got an AD willing to put some money into the program. We may have some more games at Rupp but it's not cost effective since the university doesn't own it. The story of DeMoss' 'burnout' was greatly exaggerated Wink .

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/05/14 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 2 openings right as the WBCA Convention began, is it safe to say no one had more potential assistants flocking to speak to a head coach than Matthew Mitchell? Has to be big demand to join a staff of a team loaded with young talent.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 04/06/14 1:51 pm    ::: Re: Wow Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:
$140,000 for an asst coach. That's probably more pay than for 50% of the head coaches in Div 1.
?

Or the 185k they paid the dude.

RP

PostPosted: 04/10/14 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"If I gave him (Mitchell) analytical information about an official or something, that's not what he wanted," House said. "He wanted somebody to tell him how great it was, how great of a day it was going to be and 'we're going to have a great game' instead of an experienced coach who would provide insight and analysis. Neither one of those methods is right or wrong. It just didn't fit."

http://www.centralkynews.com/wildcathoops/uk-hoops-and-assistants-pillow-house-part-ways/article_f23510f6-bc39-11e3-bab5-001a4bcf6878.html

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/10/14 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
"If I gave him (Mitchell) analytical information about an official or something, that's not what he wanted," House said. "He wanted somebody to tell him how great it was, how great of a day it was going to be and 'we're going to have a great game' instead of an experienced coach who would provide insight and analysis. Neither one of those methods is right or wrong. It just didn't fit."

http://www.centralkynews.com/wildcathoops/uk-hoops-and-assistants-pillow-house-part-ways/article_f23510f6-bc39-11e3-bab5-001a4bcf6878.html

Yikes...not sure I would have gone quite that far with the comments.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/10/14 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:

Exactly; Jeff wanted to explore new opportunities too. He'll be a really good head coach when picked up by someone.

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/10/14 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
RP wrote:

Exactly; Jeff wanted to explore new opportunities too. He'll be a really good head coach when picked up by someone.

He's been in coaching for 27-28 years. Why hasn't he been a head coach yet?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/10/14 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
RP wrote:

To my knowledge, unsure about college vs pro for a lot of that. That's why he left Chicago to go back to college this year. UK just wasn't the right match for he and Mitchell.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/10/14 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
RP wrote:

To my knowledge, unsure about college vs pro for a lot of that. That's why he left Chicago to go back to college this year. UK just wasn't the right match for he and Mitchell.

If someone is that "wishy washy" for over 25 years, I'm not sure they really do have what it takes to be a head coach...I mean, make a decision already. LOL...

cujo

PostPosted: 04/13/14 10:37 am    ::: Valerie Stll Reply Reply with quote

Valerie is interested in joining Mitchell's staff. All time leading scorer at UK, played pro both here and abroad, coached HS an WNBA, PhD, published author and actively wants to be considered. I hope UK is listening.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/14 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
RP wrote:

If someone is that "wishy washy" for over 25 years, I'm not sure they really do have what it takes to be a head coach...I mean, make a decision already. LOL...

I'm not sure I'm totally buying the "mutual decision" aspect. From his comments, House comes off as sarcastic and somewhat bitter.

Who walks away from a cushy $185,000/yr job to "explore other opportunities"? Okay buddy, explore the unemployment line.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
~UK~

PostPosted: 04/13/14 2:52 pm    ::: Re: Valerie Stll Reply Reply with quote

cujo wrote:
Valerie is interested in joining Mitchell's staff. All time leading scorer at UK, played pro both here and abroad, coached HS an WNBA, PhD, published author and actively wants to be considered. I hope UK is listening.

Not sure where you're hearing this from. I'd be surprised(but thrilled) if she's interested. It took a while to even get her back on campus due to various "issues" she had with the school.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/13/14 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
RP wrote:

I'm not sure I'm totally buying the "mutual decision" aspect. From his comments, House comes off as sarcastic and somewhat bitter.

Who walks away from a cushy $185,000/yr job to "explore other opportunities"? Okay buddy, explore the unemployment line.

He has been coaching for 28 years, so if he has saved his money wisely he doesn't need the $185,000 or whatever was left on his contract, so he can probably survive a year or two without working, it's not like he is just out of college and needs that money. There are many coaches who decide to "explore other opportunities" after coaching for many years.

cujo

PostPosted: 04/13/14 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My source is reliable and trusted. Check @ValerieStill1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: