RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Gophers Coach Search
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/01/14 10:04 pm    ::: Minnesota Gophers Coach Search Reply Reply with quote

Three front-runners emerge to succeed Borton as U's women's basketball coach

Quote:
Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague told the Star Tribune on Tuesday that he had not personally contacted these candidates. He has pledged to conduct the “national” search quickly but not in haste. He is in New York City with the men’s basketball team for the NIT Final Four and would only say, “Things are moving along nicely.”

PostPosted: 04/01/14 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would hate to see the ND coaching team broken up. I'm pretty sure that Niele had the scout last night against Baylor. Just hard to think of her as anything but Irish!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/02/14 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I would hate to see the ND coaching team broken up. I'm pretty sure that Niele had the scout last night against Baylor. Just hard to think of her as anything but Irish!

If Coquese can forge her own identity (eventually), Niele will too.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/02/14 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard they had looked at Tyler but LA Tech grabbed first.....

PostPosted: 04/02/14 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I heard they had looked at Tyler but LA Tech grabbed first.....

I'm glad they grabbed first.

Of those 3 candidates (I hope there's actually more), I'd go with the SDSU guy. Can't argue with the results.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dinkytown

PostPosted: 04/02/14 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jody Adams took her name out of the running.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/02/14 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:

These are candidates the newspaper came up with? They haven't even shown an interest? Oh brother....

dinkytown

PostPosted: 04/02/14 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

These are candidates the newspaper came up with? They haven't even shown an interest? Oh brother....

LOL. That's what it does seem like!

Howee

PostPosted: 04/02/14 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's interesting. I sincerely doubt Jody could do much there....she's a southern gal. Niele? Maybe, but I don't see that one, either. Aaron would probably be a great catch, but didn't he re-commit a few years ago, after another bigger program went after him? (I wanna say Green Bay, but....?)

I still don't know how Karl Smesko at FGCU hasn't been taken up into a BCS program yet. He's a real catch, imo.

PostPosted: 04/02/14 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
That's interesting. I sincerely doubt Jody could do much there....she's a southern gal. Niele? Maybe, but I don't see that one, either. Aaron would probably be a great catch, but didn't he re-commit a few years ago, after another bigger program went after him? (I wanna say Green Bay, but....?)

I still don't know how Karl Smesko at FGCU hasn't been taken up into a BCS program yet. He's a real catch, imo.

Speculation on the SDSU board was that Minnesota was one of the few jobs he might want to take, although they were hopeful that he'd stay.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/14 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scuttlebutt says they have offered it to Niele Ivy?

PostPosted: 04/03/14 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Scuttlebutt says they have offered it to Niele Ivy?

IF she was offered and IF she accepts (I'm hoping that she doesn't), it would be interesting to see if Muffet would go after Megan Duffy.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/14 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, this conference will get a LOT tougher next year if this is the case. Add her to the league along with Maryland and Rutgers...

I have to think Minnesota is set up for a very good & very successful season next year with what is coming back so I would think it would be pretty desirable from an asst coach perspective looking to make that jump.

Capri

PostPosted: 04/03/14 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Purdue fan, I'm just glad Jimmy Dykes was off the board.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Man, this conference will get a LOT tougher next year if this is the case. Add her to the league along with Maryland and Rutgers...

I have to think Minnesota is set up for a very good & very successful season next year with what is coming back so I would think it would be pretty desirable from an asst coach perspective looking to make that jump.

Wasn't it you that was poo-pooing me when I was trying to say how good the Gophers could be next year? And it won't be because of Ivy. Give me a break.

Minnesota got an invite to a november tournament that includes uconn, vandy and gtech. This should be a fun season.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Wasn't it you that was poo-pooing me when I was trying to say how good the Gophers could be next year? And it won't be because of Ivy. Give me a break.

Minnesota got an invite to a november tournament that includes uconn, vandy and gtech. This should be a fun season.

That was with Borton as the HC and I would still stand by that premise today. With a new coach, they have lots of potential. LOL...nah, a new coach won't have anything to do with it because Minny has lived up to it's potential every year. Give me a break.

Purdue went into the barn and held the Gophers to 42 points this year. That should NEVER happen with some of the players on that roster...and with either of those 2 candidates coming in, I don't think it will happen again.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Capri wrote:
As a Purdue fan, I'm just glad Jimmy Dykes was off the board.

Smile

Phil

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nit police, it is Ivey, not Ivy.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/14 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OOPSY....sorry about that, Ms. IVEY! I'm glad Jody Adams took her name off the table. She's just about to break Wichita State into the big time. I think she is respected by the AD there, which I think might not be the case at Minnesota.

PostPosted: 04/03/14 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
OOPSY....sorry about that, Ms. IVEY! I'm glad Jody Adams took her name off the table. She's just about to break Wichita State into the big time. I think she is respected by the AD there, which I think might not be the case at Minnesota.

Adams was part of an academic scandal as an assistant to Cheryl Littlejohn at Minnesota. I'm surprised she was ever "considered" to begin with.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/14 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Adams was part of an academic scandal as an assistant to Cheryl Littlejohn at Minnesota. I'm surprised she was ever "considered" to begin with.

I thought she was but couldn't remember...then I forgot to research it.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/03/14 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

That is what I was thinking too. I can't imagine Minnesota wanting to relive any part of the Littlejohn era.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/14 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

That is what I was thinking too. I can't imagine Minnesota wanting to relive any part of the Littlejohn era.

That was the best recruiting era ever, until now.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 04/03/14 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That was the best recruiting era ever, until now.

That's what happens when you get lucky and get a couple future superstars who wanted to go to Minnesota no matter how crappy the team is or who the coach is.

Fishhappy

PostPosted: 04/04/14 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the story I read on Borton's firing it talked about a period after Linsy and Janel had graduated, when 3 or 4 players and an assistant coach all left the program with in a couple of weeks.
The story said that the A D investigated and blamed it on poor communications. (Really)
Since I know that College girls have cell phones and communicate all the time there must be a lot more to the story. Does any one know?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: