RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tyler Summitt New LA Tech HC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 04/02/14 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Howee wrote:
HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with giving him a chance. if he can get a good asst like DeMoss at some point it could be an excellent move

X ____________________

Really. Like everybody here has been secretly rooting for LaTech Rolling Eyes
Without looking it up....Can anybody here even tell me what their record was or where they finished in their conference? Most of us just know they've gone from perennial powerhouse to has-been. If this is what they choose, then so be it....there IS huge potential for positive gain.

They finished 14th in their conference, which had been discussed here before. They did that, at least in part, because their last coach was someone with virtually no experience and who was hired for name recognition and a desire to relive glory days instead of seeking out an actual qualified candidate.

So can't imagine why people think that won't work again ...

Well, if Reb's is any indicator, I think LOTS of people are thinking it won't work....but they're clearly overlooking some major differences between Tyler and T-Spoon.

With all due respect to T-Spoon, she did NOT have the kind of experience to fill that spot. Her name rec/playing experience was what they were banking on. IFFF that got her any Good Recruits (and I don't know if it did or didn't), I think her deficiency in coaching experience and personality doomed her.

I remember hearing her, in one interview, being asked something like, "Do you ever play amongst your players, to teach them certain things?", and she said, "No way. I'm too competitive. If I'm playing, I'm determined to destroy you, and I don't want to do that to my players." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but I remember thinking she was probably devoid or deficient in the nurturing aspect of personality that a coach needs to cultivate success in kids. My point is, Tyler Summit has been *living* coaching amongst one of the premier programs. He's GOTTA be a better coach than T-Spoon.

PostPosted: 04/03/14 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
LA Tech is getting a real coach for peanuts and Junior is getting the pay and the glory.

This is a rotten deal all around. Inexperienced kid in the Big Boy seat and the coach who has paid her dues and knows her stuff will do all the work and get none of the recognition.

Rotten for who? It seems to me that Tyler, Mickie and La Tech all likely got exactly what they wanted out of the deal.

I think if Mickie was named the head coach, people would be shouting from the rafters that this was a home run hire for La Tech...and regardless of official titles, I think it still is: Summitt will win the press conference and DeMoss will win them games. Who knows what potential is really there for the program at this point, but I find this a rather intriguing and exciting hire.

I agree, well-said.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/03/14 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While nothing is a sure thing....

If you put those 2 names together that they were available I think you would have seen a lot of colleges express interest.

I wouldn't mind seeing that duo anywhere here in New England except UConn.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/14 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Howee wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with giving him a chance. if he can get a good asst like DeMoss at some point it could be an excellent move

X ____________________

Really. Like everybody here has been secretly rooting for LaTech Rolling Eyes
Without looking it up....Can anybody here even tell me what their record was or where they finished in their conference? Most of us just know they've gone from perennial powerhouse to has-been. If this is what they choose, then so be it....there IS huge potential for positive gain.

They finished 14th in their conference, which had been discussed here before. They did that, at least in part, because their last coach was someone with virtually no experience and who was hired for name recognition and a desire to relive glory days instead of seeking out an actual qualified candidate.

So can't imagine why people think that won't work again ...

Well, if Reb's is any indicator, I think LOTS of people are thinking it won't work....but they're clearly overlooking some major differences between Tyler and T-Spoon.

With all due respect to T-Spoon, she did NOT have the kind of experience to fill that spot. Her name rec/playing experience was what they were banking on. IFFF that got her any Good Recruits (and I don't know if it did or didn't), I think her deficiency in coaching experience and personality doomed her.

I remember hearing her, in one interview, being asked something like, "Do you ever play amongst your players, to teach them certain things?", and she said, "No way. I'm too competitive. If I'm playing, I'm determined to destroy you, and I don't want to do that to my players." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but I remember thinking she was probably devoid or deficient in the nurturing aspect of personality that a coach needs to cultivate success in kids. My point is, Tyler Summit has been *living* coaching amongst one of the premier programs. He's GOTTA be a better coach than T-Spoon.

Tyler will definitely get out there and play among them. He might even knock them down on occasion. But he will pick them up if he does, because he is also a gentleman. I wonder if he will introduce the concept of male practice players at Tech? They've been a fixture at UT forever and he's been one…sported a few bumps and bruises and if I recall correctly, a black eye once, from those days.

PostPosted: 04/03/14 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone else thought about the dynamics of a 23 yr old being the boss of and telling Mickie DeMoss what to do? That truly will be a strange situation to say the least. Then again, will he fell threatened by her presence? Will he be "intimidated" by her in any way?

I don't know...this is just a very interesting situation.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/14 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Has anyone else thought about the dynamics of a 23 yr old being the boss of and telling Mickie DeMoss what to do? That truly will be a strange situation to say the least. Then again, will he fell threatened by her presence? Will he be "intimidated" by her in any way?

I'm confused. Was DeMoss assigned to him or hired by him? If hired by him, why would he feel threatened by her?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/14 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

I'm confused. Was DeMoss assigned to him or hired by him? If hired by him, why would he feel threatened by her?

The reality is, who knows. Was this sort of the plan all along by LA Tech and was this discussed by both parties? I mean, you are talking about them turning over the keys to their Division I WBB program to a 23-year old who has 2 years of college coaching under his belt. I mean, his resume is so short that it includes him serving as a "head coach at the Pat Summitt, Cuonzo Martin and Bruce Pearl summer camps"...not exactly the same as handling a college program.

Marquette's records in his 2 years: 16-16, 1st round NIT loss & then 22-11 in the "new" BEast and a 2nd round NIT loss.

That is the extent of his coaching record.

Without actually doing it, my guess is I could come up with a list of at least 250 assistant coaches that are MUCH more qualified to take over a WBB program. Now, would all of them be interested in Ruston, LA & a program on the decline? That is another question.

None of what I am saying should be taken as I don't think he can get the job done or think he's going to fail miserably. I'm just saying that a lot of top asst coaches across the country are getting screwed over yet again as they have paid their dues. The ONLY...yes, ONLY reason he got that job is because of who his mom and is (and I also tend to think De Moss was included as a part of the deal from the get go).

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/03/14 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

Without actually doing it, my guess is I could come up with a list of at least 250 assistant coaches that are MUCH more qualified to take over a WBB program. Now, would all of them be interested in Ruston, LA & a program on the decline? That is another question.

None of what I am saying should be taken as I don't think he can get the job done or think he's going to fail miserably. I'm just saying that a lot of top asst coaches across the country are getting screwed over yet again as they have paid their dues. The ONLY...yes, ONLY reason he got that job is because of who his mom and is (and I also tend to think De Moss was included as a part of the deal from the get go).

Perfect summary of the situation. The "outrage" is more about the others NOT getting jobs than him getting it. No one says he'll flop, and no one has wished him anything but success.

It just doesn't play right for all the hard working assistant coaches "paying their dues." And that SHOULD be a big deal.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/03/14 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

I've thought about it, and it certainly will be interesting, but they've known each other literally his entire life, so at least they're both known quantities to each other. Given that DeMoss is pretty clear that she doesn't want to be a head coach, it may be less tricky than it appears at first glance.

And I did want to echo the comments about how this must look to the assistants who have paid their dues. I certainly would be, at least, very frustrated if I were one of the other potential candidates for this job.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/03/14 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
And I did want to echo the comments about how this must look to the assistants who have paid their dues. I certainly would be, at least, very frustrated if I were one of the other potential candidates for this job.

I *get* all that, but....there's no rules or laws about "Fair" being a necessary part of the equation. I thought it was most unfair for Kate Yow's self-named successor (Glance) to be ousted from NC-State for a younger (TN alum) upstart. And we know how that played out.

It's just the Good Ol' American Way, no? It's not always What you know, but Who you know.

PostPosted: 04/03/14 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

And coming pretty much immediately following the Jimmy Dykes hiring at Arkansas, a prime major job really doesn't help. I mean, 2 of the 345ish Division I head coaching positions in this nation just went to not only 2 males, but 2 males that have NEVER been a head coach, let alone a Women's Basketball head coach. The lack of experience in both of these hires is a major issue IMO.

Maybe they both turn out to be excellent hires, I have no idea...but for me, the issue is in the fact that there are clearly many more much more highly qualified candidates.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/14 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think that anyone who watched the experience of Texas Tech and Lamar with Pat Knight would know better than to hire someone just because they are the offspring of a famous coach.

And Knight had ten years of experience as an assistant to his dad before he got the first of his two failed HC gigs. At least he was nominally due for a crack at the top spot.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/03/14 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I *get* all that, but....there's no rules or laws about "Fair" being a necessary part of the equation. I thought it was most unfair for Kate Yow's self-named successor (Glance) to be ousted from NC-State for a younger (TN alum) upstart. And we know how that played out.

It's just the Good Ol' American Way, no? It's not always What you know, but Who you know.

Oh, life definitely isn't fair, but it's never much fun to have that rubbed in your face.

And I do see how LaTech might view this - it's a moribund program that once was the one of the best, and he might well help with recruiting because of his visibility, so they easily could have decided it was worth a shot, especially if DeMoss was explicitly part of the package.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

And coming pretty much immediately following the Jimmy Dykes hiring at Arkansas, a prime major job really doesn't help. I mean, 2 of the 345ish Division I head coaching positions in this nation just went to not only 2 males, but 2 males that have NEVER been a head coach, let alone a Women's Basketball head coach. The lack of experience in both of these hires is a major issue IMO.

Maybe they both turn out to be excellent hires, I have no idea...but for me, the issue is in the fact that there are clearly many more much more highly qualified candidates.

I don't think it's that simple. Marquette just hired Steve Wojciechowski as its new men's head coach. He's been an assistant to Mike Krzyzewski for 15 years. I think most people think he's fully qualified and ready, and that it's a really good hire. So if Arkansas or LaTech had hired Wojciechowsk as their head WBB coach, would that be a bad hire? He'd flunk your "never been a head coach much less a WBB head coach" test, but I certainly wouldn't criticize that hire.

So I think you have to look at the entire package of qualifications. Of course on that basis both Ark and LaTech probably flunk. But personally I don't see either the absence of HC experience or the absence of WBB experience as disqualifying IF the persons resume is sufficiently impressive in other respects. I think the problem is, particularly in the case of Summit, that he's simply not qualified.

It also depends on the school. There's a big difference between hiring a coach at Duke or Tenn or Stanford and hiring a coach at Ark or at today's La Tech. Doubtful any top notch head coach is going to take either job. Either they have a job that's just as good, or they're going to wait for a better opening. So you have a choice. Do you take a journeyman HC who may be available because he or she got fired somewhere else, or do you take a chance on a highly regarded rising star assistant? Do you limit yourself to WBB coaches, or do you consider all available basketball coaches?

I think the decision on who you think can best lead your team should cast the widest possible net and consider the entire package.

And personally, I don't think anyone owes anyone a job just because they've worked as an assistant for a long time.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

I don't think it's that simple. Marquette just hired Steve Wojciechowski as its new men's head coach. He's been an assistant to Mike Krzyzewski for 15 years. I think most people think he's fully qualified and ready, and that it's a really good hire. So if Arkansas or LaTech had hired Wojciechowsk as their head WBB coach, would that be a bad hire? He'd flunk your "never been a head coach much less a WBB head coach" test, but I certainly wouldn't criticize that hire.

So I think you have to look at the entire package of qualifications. Of course on that basis both Ark and LaTech probably flunk. But personally I don't see either the absence of HC experience or the absence of WBB experience as disqualifying IF the persons resume is sufficiently impressive in other respects. I think the problem is, particularly in the case of Summit, that he's simply not qualified.

How on earth does Wojo even remotely compare to either Dykes or Summitt? No one is questioning his hiring at Marquette nor should they...he appears to be more than ready for that step. The "head coach" thing is just one thing that has been bantered about on here and wasn't really listed as a "test"...just not in my last post so your dissecting of that really isn't accurate. The point has been Dykes hasn't coached for a long time and has NEVER been involved in the women's game. What on his resume shows he is ready to be a head women's basketball coach in the SEC? I say nothing other than he was a former player/coach over a decade ago.

And coaching men vs coaching women is NOT the same thing. We all know (or should), that actual coaching isn't even a quarter of what coaches do. Now I'm sure he will be great with the fundraising and all that stuff...I'm sure he knows x's and o's just fine...but dealing with college age women is a whole different ball game.

ArtBest23 wrote:

It also depends on the school. There's a big difference between hiring a coach at Duke or Tenn or Stanford and hiring a coach at Ark or at today's La Tech. Doubtful any top notch head coach is going to take either job. Either they have a job that's just as good, or they're going to wait for a better opening. So you have a choice. Do you take a journeyman HC who may be available because he or she got fired somewhere else, or do you take a chance on a highly regarded rising star assistant? Do you limit yourself to WBB coaches, or do you consider all available basketball coaches?

I think the decision on who you think can best lead your team should cast the widest possible net and consider the entire package.

Who said anything about hiring a journeyman HC at either job? If someone were to take a look at the good mid-major programs, there have to be several very good HC's that would have loved to move up to the SEC. Maybe a top assistant at UConn, Stanford, Baylor, etc may have been interested in moving up to take that first chair? Who knows. And LA Tech, well, I think it's pretty obvious there are many others that would be more qualified so no need to really go there.

ArtBest23 wrote:

And personally, I don't think anyone owes anyone a job just because they've worked as an assistant for a long time.

No one said they did. However, that said, the taxpayers that support a university certainly demand that said school do their due diligence and hire the best candidate possible.

And1

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10717737/tyler-summitt-introduced-coach-louisiana-tech-lady-techsters

Quote:
"When you're in that position as a young coach, there's so many things that you don't know in terms of running a program. I mean, the X's and O's are probably the smallest part of the job sometimes," McGraw said. "Recruiting is important, the community, the alumni. There's so many things, handling budgets and just taking care of managing a staff and doing so many things that I don't know how you do it at that age.

"Most people have been assistant coaches for a long time when they get the head-coaching job," McGraw continued. "It's a very difficult transition, and I don't think I would have been prepared for that at 23.

Is it just me or does Muffet sound a little snarky here? I mean she is at the highest level of her career, not sure I understand the need to question whether a 23 year old can handle the job, just because she wasn't ready at that age.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10717737/tyler-summitt-introduced-coach-louisiana-tech-lady-techsters

Quote:
"When you're in that position as a young coach, there's so many things that you don't know in terms of running a program. I mean, the X's and O's are probably the smallest part of the job sometimes," McGraw said. "Recruiting is important, the community, the alumni. There's so many things, handling budgets and just taking care of managing a staff and doing so many things that I don't know how you do it at that age.

"Most people have been assistant coaches for a long time when they get the head-coaching job," McGraw continued. "It's a very difficult transition, and I don't think I would have been prepared for that at 23.

Is it just me or does Muffet sound a little snarky here? I mean she is at the highest level of her career, not sure I understand the need to question whether a 23 year old can handle the job, just because she wasn't ready at that age.

Not snarky at all IMO. I mean, what did she say that is false? Being a head coach requires a TON. It is a very tough thing when you have to manage a staff, a team, a budget, time issues, game preparation, setting up & organizing practice every day...the time management & delegation skills it takes are huge.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, DeMoss is the bigger attraction here. If she can still recruit the way she has, it could be a good thing for the program even if Tyler doesn't work out.

Based soley on a coach there are many others I'm sure could do a good job. this hire reminds me much of life itself. you have to get people to believe you in what you can do yet having a good network of references can push you over the top.

I do not think it will turn out the same but look at UConn. Tenn asst and Olympic asst Nancy Darsch interviewed and was thought to be slam dunk for the job. along comes a kid asst from virginia and sweeps everyone off their feet (pat meiser who hired geno was former PSU coach ) and the rest is history

We don't know what transpired behind closed doors but to me it does seem like they have a plan and I will certainly be following it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

The point has been Dykes hasn't coached for a long time and has NEVER been involved in the women's game. What on his resume shows he is ready to be a head women's basketball coach in the SEC?

Yeah, that's probably why I wrote:

ArtBest23 wrote:

purduefanatic wrote:

And coaching men vs coaching women is NOT the same thing. We all know (or should), that actual coaching isn't even a quarter of what coaches do. Now I'm sure he will be great with the fundraising and all that stuff...I'm sure he knows x's and o's just fine...but dealing with college age women is a whole different ball game.

There are plenty of men doing just fine coaching women. I think this notion that someone has to come from the women's basketball coaching ranks is one of the most parochial and unnecessarily limiting myths there is. I think you look everywhere for the best coach you can find, attract, and afford. Whether they have coached women before would to me be way down the list of qualifications.

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

No one said they did. However, that said, the taxpayers that support a university certainly demand that said school do their due diligence and hire the best candidate possible.

Yeah, that's probably why I said:

ArtBest23 wrote:

So other than the "has to be from the WBB ranks" I don't see what you're arguing with.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/14 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:

Quote:

So why did you leave out that in the article you quoted from Geno said the same damn thing:

"During a conference call for the women's Final Four, Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma, who got his first head-coaching job when he was 30, said light-heartedly that he wasn't sure he could even hold the truck driving job he had at age 23, never mind take on the task before Tyler Summitt.

"I'm sure he's going to be overwhelmed at times, and I'm sure he's got a lot of great ideas that he's going to implement, and I'm sure he's going to have a great staff that's going to help him," Auriemma said. "That's just a tall task for a 30-year-old, much less a 23-year-old.""

Phil

PostPosted: 04/03/14 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to know more about whether it was a package hire, of they hired Tyler, and he independently brought up the idea of Mickie. My guess is the former.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/14 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

There are plenty of men doing just fine coaching women. I think this notion that someone has to come from the women's basketball coaching ranks is one of the most parochial and unnecessarily limiting myths there is. I think you look everywhere for the best coach you can find, attract, and afford. Whether they have coached women before would to me be way down the list of qualifications.

I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with a man coaching women's basketball...in fact, I am a male. However, if you think that coaching a college team is all the same, regardless of sex, you would be very mistaken. Coaching 18-22 year old women is very different from coaching 18-22 old men. Just about everything about the job is different...how you recruit them, teach them, motivate them, etc.

And I completely agree about looking for the best candidate...which is why I tend to take issue with these 2 hires we have been talking about. I have a hard time imagining that took place. Dykes is a hire drawn to get ESPN attention and to hopefully excite the local Razorback community because of him being an alum. Decent enough reasons, but if he was judged by what is on his resume, it would pale in comparison to many others in the coaching ranks. Hell, he hasn't even been in the coaching ranks in over a decade!

The Summitt hiring is just very off-the-wall...which is why I have to believe that it was a package deal with DeMoss coming on as the Associate Head Coach.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/03/14 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

which is why I have to believe that it was a package deal with DeMoss coming on as the Associate Head Coach.[/quote]

I think so as well and why it might end up a good thing to compared to where they are now.

Question for you and a bit off topic. what do purdue fans generally think of their coach?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/14 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what do purdue fans generally think of their coach?

Wow. That is a very loaded question. There are some that are not happy with the program as it stands right now but others that aren't as concerned. I think a LOT of good will had to be created within the AAU ranks (particularly Indiana and Illinois) after the debacle that occurred and led to the coaching change. Some don't want to think that affected things but I happen to know it was a very big deal and many pipelines were shut off. With the recruits from the state that have committed over the next few years, it appears as though those have been re-opened.

She is a very good x's & o's coach that seems to do a good job of preparing the team and making adjustments. She isn't the "warm and fuzzy" type that some fans want.

I personally think she has done a pretty good job and feel like the next couple of years are huge for her. The team should be pretty good again this year and on paper, the recruits coming in over the next 3 years look to be very good.

That said, with MBB finishing dead last and with FB also being awful, a WBB that has won the Big Ten Tourney a few times and consistently in the NCAA Tournament will NOT be addressed by the AD.

And1

PostPosted: 04/03/14 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
And1 wrote:

Quote:

So why did you leave out that in the article you quoted from Geno said the same damn thing:

"During a conference call for the women's Final Four, Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma, who got his first head-coaching job when he was 30, said light-heartedly that he wasn't sure he could even hold the truck driving job he had at age 23, never mind take on the task before Tyler Summitt.

"I'm sure he's going to be overwhelmed at times, and I'm sure he's got a lot of great ideas that he's going to implement, and I'm sure he's going to have a great staff that's going to help him," Auriemma said. "That's just a tall task for a 30-year-old, much less a 23-year-old.""

You're right, I should have included Auriemma's quote as well. Believe me, I'm no UCONN fan. It just sounded to me like they both were trying to validate themselves by emphasizing how monumental a task it is to be a head coach. That's stating the obvious. I think if it was anyone besides Tyler Summitt, they would have just wished them good luck and been done with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: