RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tyler Summitt New LA Tech HC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/07/14 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:
Maybe or maybe not he will be successful. yet here is one that did ok.

Cathy Rush. 2 years playing at a small time college. Then quit and went into gymnastics

Coached in high school for a little while full time teacher was on sabbatical.

No professional

Goes and becomes coach at age of 22 in a small college

Over next 6 years her teams record is 147-15. 6 final 4s. 3 national championships. Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductee in 2008. Her teams will be only the 2nd women's basketball team ever inducted following the All American Red Heads.

The game has changed since the AIAW days. yet what she did for that time was great. No doubt there were others with much better resumes and experience.

As I said I dont see Tyler doing anything like that yet when teamed up with DeMoss, I thinkIts worth the try if they feel players will buy into it.

Um...just the sheer number of qualified candidates from then to now basically make this not a very good comparison. Not to mention that WBB seems to matter a little bit more now to schools than it did back then.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/07/14 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:

The game has changed since the AIAW days. yet what she did for that time was great. No doubt there were others with much better resumes and experience.

Were there? I question that assumption. Most of those coaches came from high schools, as did Rush. Major schools didn't even have women's teams for the most part in 1970. Immaculata College had a total of 400 students. Rush got paid $450. They played 12 games. The next year they ran raffles and bake sales to raise enough money to send just part of the team to Illinois to play in the first AIAW tournament. You really think there were people who had "much better resumes" lining up for that job?

"The game has changed since the AIAW days" is one of the great understatements I've seen in a while.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/14 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Not to mention that WBB seems to matter a little bit more now to schools than it did back then.

To some schools, yes. I am not convinced that La Tech falls into that category.

PostPosted: 04/07/14 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me , Summit's hire is less of a gamble than the hire at Arkansas . Of course his name is the main thing he's got going for him . But his name may get him in the door of a few recruits that otherwise wouldn't be interested . If it turns out he can sell the program it might turn out to be a great hire .

On the other hand the Jimmy Dykes hire is a puzzler to me . He must be one hell of an interview .

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/07/14 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
To me , Summit's hire is less of a gamble than the hire at Arkansas . Of course his name is the main thing he's got going for him . But his name may get him in the door of a few recruits that otherwise wouldn't be interested . If it turns out he can sell the program it might turn out to be a great hire .

On the other hand the Jimmy Dykes hire is a puzzler to me . He must be one hell of an interview .

I don't see anyone here suggesting he deserved the job either.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/07/14 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Not to mention that WBB seems to matter a little bit more now to schools than it did back then.

To some schools, yes. I am not convinced that La Tech falls into that category.

Well, since La Tech didn't even see fit to have a women's basketball team until four years after Cathy Rush was hired at Immaculata, I'd say that it means more to them today than it did when she was hired.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/07/14 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We just disagree artbest. While it gets me to rise an eyebrow hiring Summitt and DeMoss could be a good thing for the school. If nothing else maybe some better recruits.

On the history of Women's basketball I feel no need to go any further with you based on your knowledge. I'm impressed

www.barnstormingamerica.net
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/07/14 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My best friend's sister was a student at Immaculata in the early 70s. Not a player, but in a tiny all girls school like that there was an incredible bond with the students and team and I heard a lot about it. It was the first reason I ever had to be interested interested in women's basketball and the first women's team I ever rooted for. I had gone to an all boys HS and ND just went coed in 1972 and had no women's sports teams when I was there.

It wasn't until Title IX required women's scholarships that the mainstream schools took it seriously, with the side effect that Immaculata which chose not to offer scholarships, got pushed aside.

That was truly amateur sport. It was really just an extracurricular activity for those women, nothing like what it is today.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/08/14 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Title ix did change a lot, no doubt. The evolution from then to now and even before that has been a passion of mine for decades.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/08/14 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Immaculata, has it been mentioned that the 1972-74 teams will be inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/4/7/5591546/immaculata-university-womens-basketball-naismith-hall-of-fame

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/08/14 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Speaking of Immaculata, has it been mentioned that the 1972-74 teams will be inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/4/7/5591546/immaculata-university-womens-basketball-naismith-hall-of-fame

On the WNBA board. Glad to see this happen. So many went on to do much after their playing days.

It took more than 25 years to get the first women's basketball team inducted into Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame since they finally opened it up to women and now there are 2 in 2 years... All American Red Heads being the 1st.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: