RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tyler Summitt New LA Tech HC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamala

PostPosted: 04/01/14 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This hire is a damn shame. And, what makes it worse is you kick a legendary alum to the curb for a 23 y/o who was just a grad asst? I don't give a damn who his mama his. This hire is a mess and this kid doesn't deserve this job. He hasn't earned a damn thing.

A person of color won't get this type of job at 23.

PostPosted: 04/01/14 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:
He's older and more experienced than his mother was when she became HC at Tennessee.

And a lot less experienced as an assistant than Jimmy Dykes, whose hire you panned in another thread.

Jimmy Dykes has no experience with WBB and hasn't coached anybody in what, 20 years? Tyler has been around WBB since he was in diapers and coaching females since he coached an AAU team in his teens. He was a practice player for his mom (talk about a thankless job!) as well as walking on to the men's team at UT *specifically* to learn from then-coach Pearl. Not to mention the hours of tape he watched with his mom and the coaching staff. He's known he wanted to be a coach since he was around 12 and has done all he can to prepare himself. Now let's see if it works.

PostPosted: 04/01/14 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:
This hire is a damn shame. And, what makes it worse is you kick a legendary alum to the curb for a 23 y/o who was just a grad asst? I don't give a damn who his mama his. This hire is a mess and this kid doesn't deserve this job. He hasn't earned a damn thing.

A person of color won't get this type of job at 23.

Not to feed into this but there isn't another white person on the planet who would get this job at 23 either. He got the job because of his mom. Let's face it. Tech doesn't have the credibility to be a powerhouse again and they don't have a good enough football team to get them into a decent conference. They gambled on winning some recruits on Tyler's name. If he fails, I doubt they lose much more than they were going to having with another few years of not doing much under Spoon. I love Spoon and I would love nothing more than to see her on the Liberty bench this season.

PostPosted: 04/01/14 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:
He's older and more experienced than his mother was when she became HC at Tennessee.

And a lot less experienced as an assistant than Jimmy Dykes, whose hire you panned in another thread.

Jimmy Dykes has no experience with WBB and hasn't coached anybody in what, 20 years? Tyler has been around WBB since he was in diapers and coaching females since he coached an AAU team in his teens. He was a practice player for his mom (talk about a thankless job!) as well as walking on to the men's team at UT *specifically* to learn from then-coach Pearl. Not to mention the hours of tape he watched with his mom and the coaching staff. He's known he wanted to be a coach since he was around 12 and has done all he can to prepare himself. Now let's see if it works.

And how is that different from Dykes watching tape for years while announcing? Sorry, but Dykes still has over quadruple the number of years on the bench as Tyler.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/01/14 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

And how is that different from Dykes watching tape for years while announcing? Sorry, but Dykes still has over quadruple the number of years on the bench as Tyler.

Nothing recent. Nothing with women. And I question whether he's watched whole games anytime recently. But have it your way, you will anyway. At least hopefully they both have the sense to surround themselves with knowledgeable people. I know Tyler does.

I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 04/01/14 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't see what LA Tech had to lose with this hire. their program is in shambles and by all appearances has extremely little to no hope of ever being at least decent again. so why not? despite his name there aren't actually expectations or pressure on him. LA Tech will not be turned around in a season. not even 2 or 3. we're looking at at least 5 years to even see if they can even get near a winning season. i can't say i follow this school, but based on what i've read here, that seems reasonable. maybe he can't turn this program around. maybe no one can... it might actually be too far gone. but why not make an attempt? and who else were they going to get? and i won't undervalue the fact that pat summitt is his mother. if he was able to gain just a tenth of her knowledge the prospects of this team are already looking better. add to that what he has personally done to prepare himself and yes, considering their limited options, this was a good hire.

and cinderella stories do exist in real life. when Geno took over as head coach at UConn that program barely existed. 20 plus years later we have people harping that they're too dominate. Geno was fairly young when he started there, though admittedly not as young as Tyler and i believe he had a bit more experience but really back then who was to say with any certainty that Geno could or couldn't turn that program into what it is today? when Dawn Staley took over at South Carolina not only were the Gamecocks the doormat in the SEC that weren't relevant at all nationally. 6 years later and we're watching SC dominate within the conference and make waves nationally. no, SC wasn't quite in the shambles that LA Tech is and using UConn as an example for anything is a hard but comparisons can be made. all i'm saying is, it's possible and with time we could see a difference. there's nothing else left to lose. how long was spoon there? let's all check back in at that length of time and discuss again. until then... everyone needs to relax, sit back, and continue not paying attention to this program for the time being. there aren't any other options.

FS02

PostPosted: 04/01/14 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think, in a perfect world, if he's prepared for this and has the talent for coaching, his age shouldn't matter. (I mean seriously, a lot of great things have been done by people who were <25 years old)

But you do wonder what the players will think, and if they will respect him as an authority figure when he is about their age.

PostPosted: 04/02/14 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, at least he earned this more than he did his roster spot at Tennessee.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/02/14 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man...every time I think women's basketball takes a step forward, it takes several steps backwards. Who knows, maybe he will do great. But the fact is, just because you are the child of a coaching legend doesn't mean you will be a great coach yourself. It's not like it's something that gets passed down through the genes.

Anyway, hopefully he does well...but I feel bad for any assistants that have put in more time, have more experience and been more successful. As the saying goes..."it's not what you know, but who you know".

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/02/14 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Hey, at least he earned this more than he did his roster spot at Tennessee.

He was a *walk on* at Tennessee for ONE YEAR. And he was there specifically to learn coaching techniques from Bruce Pearl. He would have signed on as a GA but he was still an undergrad (graduated in 3 years). And his skills weren't that bad, he'd been recruited by some D-II schools. He just wanted to go to UT. He had also been a practice player for the Lady Vols, which is a major thankless job. Most of those guys have also been recruited elsewhere and chose not to go.

PostPosted: 04/02/14 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Well…….all I can say is, give the kid a chance. *shrug*

I agree. I am one of those who wanted to see an out of the box type hire like Caroline Doty(she sort of got 2 years coaching experience with the injuries) and like this move. He's young, has a decent pedigree, and is getting a shot at a mid major. Not going directly to an SEC school.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 04/02/14 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/02/14 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with giving him a chance. if he can get a good asst like DeMoss at some point it could be an excellent move

As far as age gender and race. I 100% believe if there were no professional women's basketball here and overseas we would have seen the likes of Catchings Cooper Bird Azzi and others coaching at a very young age just like Tyler.

We are fortunate to have these women have had the opportunity to play hoops while in their prime and maybe go into coaching afterwards.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 04/02/14 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeMoss is Associate Head Coach. That's someone Tyler knows and trusts.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/02/14 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
DeMoss is Associate Head Coach. That's someone Tyler knows and trusts.

Damn smart move, if you ask me. I wonder if UT will schedule them next season? That would be fun.

PostPosted: 04/02/14 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Mickie DeMoss as Associate HC, she's an outstanding recruiter - I'm excited for the fans and the program at Louisiana Tech.

Again, I hope one day, Louisiana Tech gets to join the Big 12 Conference. It would enhance its program and strengthen its WBB back to the old glory days.

R-

Phil

PostPosted: 04/02/14 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, that's a big deal.

My impression is that Mickie is first rate, thought she wanted to make the step up to head coach, but realized it wasn't quite the job she wanted. This will allow her to do what she does well, act as a mentor and sounding board for Tyler, without having to deal with those aspects of the HC job she didn't like.

btharner

PostPosted: 04/02/14 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm taking name because I am going to ride you naysayers hard when he becomes the winningest coach in history. Well maybe.

Hope this works out, I miss seeing Louisiana Tech on the bracket. I generally cheered for them (except for a certain game that took place 20 years ago tomorrow).

BallState1984

PostPosted: 04/02/14 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA Tech is getting a real coach for peanuts and Junior is getting the pay and the glory.

This is a rotten deal all around. Inexperienced kid in the Big Boy seat and the coach who has paid her dues and knows her stuff will do all the work and get none of the recognition.

Don't tell me the crap that because he sat with his Mom that gives him special priviliges and knowledge. It does not.

PostPosted: 04/02/14 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Man...every time I think women's basketball takes a step forward, it takes several steps backwards. Who knows, maybe he will do great. But the fact is, just because you are the child of a coaching legend doesn't mean you will be a great coach yourself. It's not like it's something that gets passed down through the genes.

Anyway, hopefully he does well...but I feel bad for any assistants that have put in more time, have more experience and been more successful. As the saying goes..."it's not what you know, but who you know".

X____________________________________________

PostPosted: 04/02/14 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a link too his press conference http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2FUQJ_DBo

Matt5762

PostPosted: 04/02/14 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
LA Tech is getting a real coach for peanuts and Junior is getting the pay and the glory.

This is a rotten deal all around. Inexperienced kid in the Big Boy seat and the coach who has paid her dues and knows her stuff will do all the work and get none of the recognition.

Rotten for who? It seems to me that Tyler, Mickie and La Tech all likely got exactly what they wanted out of the deal.

I think if Mickie was named the head coach, people would be shouting from the rafters that this was a home run hire for La Tech...and regardless of official titles, I think it still is: Summitt will win the press conference and DeMoss will win them games. Who knows what potential is really there for the program at this point, but I find this a rather intriguing and exciting hire.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/02/14 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with giving him a chance. if he can get a good asst like DeMoss at some point it could be an excellent move

X ____________________

Really. Like everybody here has been secretly rooting for LaTech Rolling Eyes
Without looking it up....Can anybody here even tell me what their record was or where they finished in their conference? Most of us just know they've gone from perennial powerhouse to has-been. If this is what they choose, then so be it....there IS huge potential for positive gain.

PostPosted: 04/02/14 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:

X ____________________

Really. Like everybody here has been secretly rooting for LaTech Rolling Eyes
Without looking it up....Can anybody here even tell me what their record was or where they finished in their conference? Most of us just know they've gone from perennial powerhouse to has-been. If this is what they choose, then so be it....there IS huge potential for positive gain.

They finished 14th in their conference, which had been discussed here before. They did that, at least in part, because their last coach was someone with virtually no experience and who was hired for name recognition and a desire to relive glory days instead of seeking out an actual qualified candidate.

So can't imagine why people think that won't work again ...

TigerVol

PostPosted: 04/02/14 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:

Don't tell me the crap that because he sat with his Mom that gives him special priviliges and knowledge. It does not.

Who exactly is hurt by this overall situation?

I'm just curious what you know about him as a coach or man beyond his name?

Not giving someone a chance because you assume they are nothing beyond their name is actually worse that giving someone a chance because of it.

Did you know he ran the offense the past two years at DePaul? Think the head coach just handed over those keys because of his name? Now even she admitted the name got him the interview - welcome to life...human beings always have been and always will be relationship oriented and connections open doors in every town, city, neighborhood, church, office or whatever. The DePaul coach in no way expected to hire him but was blown away when they first talked.

Watch his presser and hear what he has to say...more importantly how he says it. He has that intangible "it" quality successful leaders and motivators have.

As for DeMoss - if she wanted to be a head coach she would be. She doesn't. She walked away from a KY program she built to the edge of where it is now and went back to an assistant's role at Texas, UT and the Fever. This is her alma mater and close to home. This didn't happen to her. She is a big girl and has demonstrated that she makes choices that are right for her -- this is an equally good fit for both of them.

I guarantee you no one will outwork Tyler and any glory to be had will be spread to all.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: