RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015 Women's Basketball Commitment List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/14/14 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach P. strikes again, as Angela Salvadores commits to Duke.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/14/14 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Coach P. strikes again, as Angela Salvadores commits to Duke.

Just watched some bit of her 40 point performance against US. She loves to slash in from the wing and hit any type of layup. She can also hit the three off a set shot. Good anticipator on defense. Physically she looks kinda frail but she was holding more than her own against the US.

Lambert and Salvadores should start for PMAC from day one. And while I haven't seen Calhoun play, I think she gets the other wing position, unless Rebecca Greenwall is the second coming of Tricia Liston. PMac once again pulls in a solid class.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/16/14 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Samantha Fuehring 6'3 forward committs to Louisville.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/16/14 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona has picked up commitments from Eastside Prep post Destiny Graham and Sacred Heart Cathedral forward Ashanti Coleman. Both players visited Tucson this past weekend, according to NorCal Preps.

Good players, but not the kind that will save Niya Butts' job.

PostPosted: 09/16/14 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

What the heck is Jeff Walz doing to pick up all these players? I mean I'm not complaining, but dang. In the past we would maybe get like 1 very good player (top 25) like every few years but next years class is completely different than anything we've ever had.

I guess Shoni's and Angel's success has helped too.

~UK~

PostPosted: 09/16/14 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erin Boley to Notre Dame

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/9/16/6256743/top-10-recruit-erin-boley-commits-to-notre-dame

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/16/14 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Erin Boley to Notre Dame

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/9/16/6256743/top-10-recruit-erin-boley-commits-to-notre-dame

She is a class of '16.

Durantula

PostPosted: 09/16/14 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updates for Arizona, Central Connecticut State, Florida Atlantic, Lamar, Long Beach State, Louisville, Loyola Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina A&T, Rice, Saint Louis, Southern Illinois, Texas State, UNC Charlotte, UNLV, Utah Valley, VCU, Weber State, Western Illinois.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/17/14 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

buzzyb wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

What the heck is Jeff Walz doing to pick up all these players? I mean I'm not complaining, but dang. In the past we would maybe get like 1 very good player (top 25) like every few years but next years class is completely different than anything we've ever had.

Walz works very hard, for one thing. You know, I've been a McDonald's voter since they first started the girls' program, I've ranked players for ESPN and FCP, I do national high school rankings, and I've been involved in Northern California girls' and women's basketball for many years.

Kelly Graves will call me every once in a while. When Walz was recruiting Mariya Moore, who I only had a peripheral contact with, he called me a couple times and we had an e-mail exchange about officiating.

No one else ever reaches out to me. Lindsay Gottlieb, the Cal coach, says hi when our paths cross. I went to UCSB and always call up a new coach and tell them to give me a ring if they ever need anything. Carlene Mitchell has never contacted me. You would think the WCC coaches might want to know if I've seen any good young players in the area, but they don't.

Now, I'm not claiming to be a font of information, nor am I going to influence a player like a club or high school coach, but one would think that more than two coaches would bother to get in touch with me, especially last year when the Bay Area had three McDonald's All-Americans (one of whom's dad talked to me several times).

Walz did, though, so to me it's no accident that he's successful. He's also a good game coach, a tactician and obviously a good recruiter. I don't know who else was serious about Mariya Moore or Gabby Green, and I don't say I have a great deal to offer, but recruiting is the lifeblood of the college game, and the fact that only Walz talked to me is, if nothing else, an interesting bit of information.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay, got a (longwinded) question for you about WCBB recruiting.

Don't know if you have read any of the stories or chatter this week about the decommitment of Antonio Blakeney from the Louisville men's BB team less than two weeks after he committed. By most accounts this seems to have been the direct result of pressure on Blakeney from Nike. Louisville is an Adidas school, and all of the schools on Blakeney's new list are coincidentally Nike schools (see, as an example, http://www.wdrb.com/story/26549188/crawford-dont-hold-your-breath-waiting-for-other-shoe-to-drop-in-college-recruiting

Anyhow, shoe company influence and corruption in MCBB certainly isn't new. This just seems to be one of the most public examples. Most of this occurs through the cesspool that AAU basketball has become.

I wondered if you see this at all on the girls side. Nike certainly has been spending increasing amounts of money and getting more involved in girls AAU and HS tournaments. Have you run across shoe company pressure on girls recruiting decisions?

buzzyb

PostPosted: 09/17/14 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
buzzyb wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

Walz works very hard, for one thing. You know, I've been a McDonald's voter since they first started the girls' program, I've ranked players for ESPN and FCP, I do national high school rankings, and I've been involved in Northern California girls' and women's basketball for many years.

Kelly Graves will call me every once in a while. When Walz was recruiting Mariya Moore, who I only had a peripheral contact with, he called me a couple times and we had an e-mail exchange about officiating.

No one else ever reaches out to me. Lindsay Gottlieb, the Cal coach, says hi when our paths cross. I went to UCSB and always call up a new coach and tell them to give me a ring if they ever need anything. Carlene Mitchell has never contacted me. You would think the WCC coaches might want to know if I've seen any good young players in the area, but they don't.

Now, I'm not claiming to be a font of information, nor am I going to influence a player like a club or high school coach, but one would think that more than two coaches would bother to get in touch with me, especially last year when the Bay Area had three McDonald's All-Americans (one of whom's dad talked to me several times).

Walz did, though, so to me it's no accident that he's successful. He's also a good game coach, a tactician and obviously a good recruiter. I don't know who else was serious about Mariya Moore or Gabby Green, and I don't say I have a great deal to offer, but recruiting is the lifeblood of the college game, and the fact that only Walz talked to me is, if nothing else, an interesting bit of information.

Thanks for the response! Walz is certainly a good recruiter, and has been able to do quite a lot with some minor players (and a couple of stars), but looking at next years class, it's just another level than what we've ever had. I'm super impressed and certainly think this is the turning point in the program - where now we'll actually be in the conversation when it comes to top recruits, instead of just UCONN, ND, TENN, etc.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/17/14 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reputation that Walz 's teams lack top recruits seems a bit overblown to me. His success the last three years was largely based on:

Schonni - #8
Bria Smith - #8
Sarah Hammond - #12

(He didn't keep, but he also had Charmaine Tay, another top 20 recruit in Schonni's class)

How many other schools were putting 3 top 12 players on the court?

He didn't follow up that success on the recruiting trail in '12, '13 and '14. But he has had some serious talent on the floor the past few years.

He is really hitting a home run in this class, that's for sure.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/18/14 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though I have a sense of Nike and adidas' involvement in girls' basketball, I don't have any insight to their internal policies ... but lack of info has never stopped me before.

Since no shoe with a woman's name on it makes any money for either company, keeping individual players wearing a particular shoe would not seem to be an issue for girls.

On the other hand, the girls' basketball apparel market, including shoes, is very large, and worth controlling, which Nike has done by essentially corralling all the top AAU and high school teams and having them wear Nike gear. This is not an inexpensive investment, but Nike apparently sees both a financial and reputation return for its presence on the girls' side.

Bottom line, then, Nike would not care if a particular player went to an adidas college, but it would want the best club and high school teams outfitted in Nike gear.

PostPosted: 09/21/14 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ASGR #76 PG Tania Davis, out of Goodrich Michigan verbals Iowa.

Durantula

PostPosted: 09/21/14 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ASGR #76 PG Tania Davis, out of Goodrich Michigan verbals Iowa.

The Iowa commitment was added along with commits for Cal State Northridge, College of Charleston, Creighton, Denver, Hampton, Marshall, Mississippi State, Northern Arizona, Northern Kentucky, Prairie View A&M, Sacramento State, Sacred Heart, Southern California, Southern Methodist, Southern Mississippi, Texas State, Towson, U. Missouri-Kansas City, Utah State, and Wisconsin.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/22/14 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just looking through the above list for anyone I knew of, I am appalled to see that Anna Hammaker of CAK/Knoxville (Tennessee) has signed with Kansas State. I knew she wasn't under consideration by the Lady Vols and hadn't considered them either, but after this past spring's kerfuffle, I'd have thought her dad would have had better sense than to let her sign with KSU. I hope KSU has learned something by that and will treat anyone else wishing to transfer better than they treated the last one. I certainly wish Anna well, but I won't be rooting for KSU for anything.

PostPosted: 09/22/14 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West Coast Conference Gonzaga has a verbal from F Zykera Rice out of Lakewood, WA.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/22/14 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a wonderful resource: Thanks so much.

PostPosted: 09/22/14 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

buzzyb wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

That great fan base. The womens program draws big crowds therefore, kids want to go there. It appears that they draw crowds like the lady vols.

buzzyb

PostPosted: 09/22/14 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
buzzyb wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

That great fan base. The womens program draws big crowds therefore, kids want to go there. It appears that they draw crowds like the lady vols.

True, Louisville had incredible attendance last season - I believe it was 10,000 for the regular season and 14,000 for the NCAA games that were held there.

Durantula

PostPosted: 09/23/14 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alabama, Cal State Fullerton, Central Arkansas, Central Connecticut State, Central Florida, Eastern Illinois, Gardner Webb, Houston, Jacksonville State, James Madison, Kennesaw State, New Mexico, Niagara, Northeastern, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, Valparaiso, VCU, Western Kentucky and Winthrop all added new recruits recently.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/27/14 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another Gonzaga verbal

Zhane Templeton G 2015 South Grand Prairie HS Grand Prairie TX has given a verbal to Gonzaga.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 09/27/14 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal goes to Asia for a 6'5" Post Player

ProspectsNation.com ‏@ProspectsNation 9h
#CommitmentCentral Cal @CalWBBall picks up a verbal commitment from 6'5" Chinese post Chen Yue
pic.twitter.com/BV60DqTlCQ

Cal Basketball, Lindsay Gottlieb, Kai Felton and 6 others

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/28/14 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nora Kiesler rumored to have committed to Purdue during a visit yesterday.

If the rumor is correct, she picked Purdue over Stanford, Louisville, Michigan State and Dayton.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/recruiting/2014/06/14/assumptions-nora-kiesler-likes-louisville-stanford/10533017/

Durantula

PostPosted: 09/28/14 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Nora Kiesler rumored to have committed to Purdue during a visit yesterday.

If the rumor is correct, she picked Purdue over Stanford, Louisville, Michigan State and Dayton.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/recruiting/2014/06/14/assumptions-nora-kiesler-likes-louisville-stanford/10533017/

It is confirmed that she committed and I see she is in the top 100 so that is #4 for Purdue.

New additions are added for Air Force, Belmont, Binghamton (2), California, Gardner Webb, Gonzaga, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Loyola-Chicago, Marquette, Mercer, Mississippi State, Northeastern, North Texas (2), Pepperdine, Purdue, Santa Clara (2), SIU Edwardsville, Tulane, Vermont, Villanova, and West Virginia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: