RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers for 2013-2014 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/04/14 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They won't let the kids who want to leave and won't keep the kids who want to stay...

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/10/3/6896491/alabama-womens-basketball-brittany-jack-kristy-curry

"I think what the majority of people do not know is that I was never recruited by The University of Alabama officially. I committed to play at Samford University in 2010. After having the winningest record in program history and winning the first conference championship, I left.

I left a full scholarship at a DI university. I had no offers, nothing set up, and nowhere to go. I enrolled at Alabama as a regular student because that is how much I wanted to be there. I tried out and made the team. I busted my butt for an entire year and was awarded a scholarship for the next year.

When I first met Coach (Kristy) Curry at a team meeting in late May before summer session one started, she just seemed to be this great person who was genuinely concerned about us as a team and the women's basketball program at Alabama. I can remember her telling us, "We are going to have the best shoe strings in the country because ya'll deserve that".

I can remember having such a feeling of relief and finally feeling what other players felt at other schools. It finally seemed liked we belonged in women's basketball because we finally had a real coach. Unfortunately, this would soon change."

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/04/14 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keith oldermann named Kristy Curry and the Alabama AD as the Worst in sports yesterday. I think how the hell do you get yourselves as an athletic department after the Romero KSU situation? Don't you learn anything? The probable reality is that Curry more than likely has behaved the bully for so long that its just second nature for her to do have these interactions with students. And maybe there is also the realization that whatever Stink comes out of this, that its small scale college sports and something that will quickly be erased from the memory of fans.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/07/14 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Keith Olbermann named Kristy Curry and the Alabama AD as the Worst in sports yesterday. I think how the hell do you get yourselves as an athletic department after the Romero KSU situation? Don't you learn anything? The probable reality is that Curry more than likely has behaved the bully for so long that its just second nature for her to do have these interactions with students. And maybe there is also the realization that whatever Stink comes out of this, that its small scale college sports and something that will quickly be erased from the memory of fans.

Here's the video from last Friday (Oct. 3, 2014).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YF6tCMFbGM&index=5&list=UUdJtV6wXT6lnrvldU_urowQ

Yesterday (Oct. 6, 2014), the University of Alabama president was named as one of Olbermann's "World's Worst in the Sports World", regarding that same matter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NTCvGprw-0&index=3&list=UUdJtV6wXT6lnrvldU_urowQ

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/07/14 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

About face!

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/10/alabama_says_it_will_support_w.html

This is the lengthy statement from University of Alabama athletics director Bill Battle.

"This afternoon, The University of Alabama contacted the NCAA to inform them that the University supports Daisha Simmons' request for a waiver from the NCAA allowing her to be eligible to play basketball at Seton Hall in 2014-15. This gives the NCAA the opportunity to revisit the situation, if they so desire, and to consider information that could be provided by Miss Simmons, including documentation that could substantiate significant medical issues in her family, that could affect her ability to be granted a waiver to be eligible for competition immediately.

"Much of the University's original decision not to endorse a waiver was based on the fact that Miss Simmons declined to provide any information supporting her reasoning for seeking a waiver. This was despite requests to obtain documentation verifying hardship to support a waiver request. Miss Simmons was told repeatedly of the requirements needed to obtain the waiver, as well as how such requirements were needed to justify the institution's endorsement of such a waiver. She refused to provide this, despite several opportunities and requests to do so.

"It bears noting that Miss Simmons did not meet any NCAA legislated transfer exceptions to be eligible for competition immediately since she had previously transferred from Rutgers University and The University of Alabama was renewing her athletics financial aid for the 2014-15 academic year, thus requiring her to seek a waiver of the eligibility regulations. The University's decision not to support the waiver was a small part of the facts the NCAA reviewed but, ultimately, the NCAA looks at the entire narrative supplied by the student and the applicant institution in determining whether or not to grant a waiver. Inaccurate reports in the media have cited the University's decision not to support a waiver as the lone determinant in Miss Simmons' ability to gain a waiver allowing her to play this season. The NCAA's ruling in this case gave Miss Simmons the opportunity to take care of any family concerns, focus on academics, and play next season. The University's ability to assist Miss Simmons in this case was greatly hindered by inconsistencies regarding her reasons for wanting to leave the University.

"As she had desired, Miss Simmons has enrolled in a Master's of Business Administration program specializing in sport management at Seton Hall. Her enrollment at Seton Hall, on scholarship, fulfilled her desire to attend college and play basketball near her home.
"There are many levels of due process involved in proceedings of this nature. The University of Alabama did not prevent Miss Simmons from transferring. Per her request, The University of Alabama granted schools near her home in New Jersey permission to contact Miss Simmons about the possibility of attending. Reports stating that Alabama would not release her are inaccurate.

"The University of Alabama emphatically supports head coach Kristy Curry and her staff. Throughout this process they have maintained a high level of integrity and ethical behavior."

Howee

PostPosted: 10/07/14 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^Interesting^

It would appear that the Other Version has been explained, along with the change of action on the part of Alabama. Good for them....and all concerned.

PostPosted: 10/07/14 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
^Interesting^

It would appear that the Other Version has been explained, along with the change of action on the part of Alabama. Good for them....and all concerned.

I think it's called being made a public example of on national TV. Well, whatever it takes, and all's well that ends well. Doesn't change my opinion of Kristy Curry OR Alabama, though.

PostPosted: 10/08/14 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that they were repeatedly denied "hardship" evidence by the player when the same player managed to do everything else required including filing an appeal, finding another school and hiring an attorney.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/08/14 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Leslie brought up Daisha Simmons and Alabama on "We Need to Talk," the new CBS Sports TV show directed at women.

http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/weneedtotalk

beknighted

PostPosted: 10/08/14 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I find it hard to believe that they were repeatedly denied "hardship" evidence by the player when the same player managed to do everything else required including filing an appeal, finding another school and hiring an attorney.

I can't imagine why you'd think such a thing.

Rolling Eyes <--- Directed at Alabama, not you.

beknighted

PostPosted: 10/10/14 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The New York Times has picked up the story. I think the most interesting part is that Simmons has not decided whether to pursue a Title IX complaint against Alabama. I'd be curious what specific claim she'd make, but I guess we'll find out only if she files something.

All the News . . .

ball4life

PostPosted: 10/10/14 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
The New York Times has picked up the story. I think the most interesting part is that Simmons has not decided whether to pursue a Title IX complaint against Alabama. I'd be curious what specific claim she'd make, but I guess we'll find out only if she files something.

All the News . . .

If it's title IX I assume it's about equal treatment with them letting football players transfer.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/10/14 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Kuklok appears to be eligible to play for Utah this year. Can anyone explain how that it is? She played one year for San Diego in 11-12, then apparently sat out a year, then last year played for Utah Valley, and now is listed as a Jr. at Utah and Leverets makes it sound like she is immediately eligible to play?? Where will she be next year do we suppose?

- Amanda Gorman
beknighted

PostPosted: 10/10/14 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
beknighted wrote:

All the News . . .

If it's title IX I assume it's about equal treatment with them letting football players transfer.

That was my first thought.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 10/10/14 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Katie Kuklok appears to be eligible to play for Utah this year. Can anyone explain how that it is? She played one year for San Diego in 11-12, then apparently sat out a year, then last year played for Utah Valley, and now is listed as a Jr. at Utah and Leverets makes it sound like she is immediately eligible to play?? Where will she be next year do we suppose?

From her Bio page

Personal: ... currently in graduate school studying Education Psychology ... received a B.S. in Exercise Science and Outdoor Recreation from Utah Valley University

I remember her as a freshman at Poway HS and she played with the Samuelson sisters(the ones on Stanford) on Cal Swish AAU team. She might have also played with the pg on Utah, Danielle Rodriguez, on the same Swish team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/10/14 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
myrtle wrote:

From her Bio page

Personal: ... currently in graduate school studying Education Psychology ... received a B.S. in Exercise Science and Outdoor Recreation from Utah Valley University

I remember her as a freshman at Poway HS and she played with the Samuelson sisters(the ones on Stanford) on Cal Swish AAU team. She might have also played with the pg on Utah, Danielle Rodriguez, on the same Swish team.

thanks. that does explain it. well, good for her and it should be good for Utah - the woman can shoot the ball!

- Amanda Gorman
Durantula

PostPosted: 10/11/14 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caprice Dennis is transferring from Miami and going back home to Detroit Mercy. Dennis was a top 50 recruit in the 2012 graduation class.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/21/14 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see this posted anywhere.

Quote:
Just two days after Alabama had a change of heart on a transfer waiver, Daisha Simmons was cleared by the NCAA to immediately play basketball at Seton Hall.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11670353/ncaa-clears-daisha-simmons-play-seton-hall-pirates

I'm glad it was resolved, and she will be able to play this season. But it's unfortunate she had to go through the problems she did to get to this point, when it should have happened a lot sooner. As soon as she didn't get accepted into grad school at Alabama, Alabama she have wished her well and let her explore other opportunities. Then when she got accepted into grad school at Seton Hall the coaching staff at Alabama should have wished her well at her new school.

PrideFan

PostPosted: 11/04/14 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West Virginia transfer Darius Faulk is officially cleared to play immediately at Hofstra for this season. That makes two top 100 recruits playing for the Pride in 2014-15 (Darius Faulk was number 61 for 2012, and Ashunae Durant was 75 for 2014.).

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/05/14 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PrideFan wrote:
West Virginia transfer Darius Faulk is officially cleared to play immediately at Hofstra for this season. That makes two top 100 recruits playing for the Pride in 2014-15 (Darius Faulk was number 61 for 2012, and Ashunae Durant was 75 for 2014.).

Seton Hall has a West Virginia transfer with immediate eligibility too. I wonder if there's something going on in Morgantown that we need to know about- it seems odd that they both got the transfer year waived.

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: