RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers for 2013-2014 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 06/21/14 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was told that Central Florida's star combo guard Briahanna Jackson will transfer to Louisville.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/21/14 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
precious Person Is now at Ole Miss.

Where was she previously? I forgot. (That has to be the best name in WCBB right now, along with Aerial Powers)

PostPosted: 06/21/14 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
precious Person Is now at Ole Miss.

Where was she previously? I forgot. (That has to be the best name in WCBB right now, along with Aerial Powers)

Rutgers.

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/28/14 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alabama's leading returning scorer Daisha Simmons will not return to the program. You know, with the Leticia Romero situation you would expect transfers wouldn't have to go through so much trouble but since I keep up this list, people keep sending me these articles which do not look good.

This is an indepth article about Daisha Simmons and how Alabama would not give her a release. If anyone else knows the other transfers at Alabama let me know so my list can be up to date. Simmons says 6 have left but I don't have that many. http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama/2014/06/27/alabamas--daisha-simmons-has-tough-time-transferring/11558947/

Social media stars the Gonzalez twins didn't really do much ON the court at Kansas yet when they wanted to transfer they had to hire legal representation. Why would Kansas care if two players who were not even in the rotation left? http://rockchalkblog.com/2014/05/29/gonzalez-twins-used-legal-representation-to-get-released-from-scholarship-at-kansas/

And this isn't just at the big schools like Bama and KU. Mid majors are also having controversy. http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/radford-players-system-failed-us/article_8e59d49c-fd91-11e3-898d-0017a43b2370.html

ball4life

PostPosted: 06/28/14 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alliyah Berger - Towson --> Georgian Court

ball4life

PostPosted: 06/28/14 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beverly Ogunrinde leaving JMU

icey23

PostPosted: 07/08/14 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alexis Hyder of North Texas to LSU
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=209557119

PostPosted: 07/08/14 6:35 pm    ::: Crazy Lesson Reply Reply with quote

Heard that UVA relieve Amanda Fioravanti from her letter of intent. Meaning that if the mid season St. Joseph's transfer decides to play after the first semester she will only have one year of eligibility remaining. If she sits the entire year she can only play two years.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/08/14 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Alexis Hyder of North Texas to LSU
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=209557119

Caldwell is relying on a lot of transfers to build up her program. This is the fourth transfer player by my reckoning: Akila Richards -West Virginia, Ann Jones-Memphis, and JUCO Dashawn Harden. It kind of reminds me of what the late Kurt Budke did when he took over at Oklahoma State and what Sue Semru is currently doing at FSU. Given LSU's success the past decade, this pattern of recruiting is surprising....perhaps it will work out.

ball4life

PostPosted: 07/08/14 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you mean Bethel from WV, Richards had transfered to Delaware fro WV.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/08/14 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
I think you mean Bethel from WV, Richards had transfered to Delaware fro WV.

Yes. You are correct. Thank you.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/15/14 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walz announcing that Monny Niamke will head to an NAIA school (IIRC she transferred to the 'Ville from an NAIA school) and that Sophomore Starr Breedlove will also transfer out.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/15/14 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The word on teh Twitterz is that Daisha Simmons is back to Jersey, this time at Seton Hall. (Looking at her journey, I have to conclude that she is a basketball masochist.)

PostPosted: 07/15/14 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Walz announcing that Monny Niamke will head to an NAIA school (IIRC she transferred to the 'Ville from an NAIA school) and that Sophomore Starr Breedlove will also transfer out.

Should the assumption be that the freshmen are doing well?

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/16/14 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
The word on teh Twitterz is that Daisha Simmons is back to Jersey, this time at Seton Hall. (Looking at her journey, I have to conclude that she is a basketball masochist.)

There had been a rumor to that effect on the RU board, too. (Not that she's a masochist, to be clear - the other part.)

dfineguy

PostPosted: 07/16/14 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Is he making room for 4-stars at the expense of lesser recruits he no longer wants? This is the first hint of ugliness I have seen from the L'ville head coach. I said HINT. It may be nothing, but...

PostPosted: 07/16/14 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
ball4life wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Is he making room for 4-stars at the expense of lesser recruits he no longer wants? This is the first hint of ugliness I have seen from the L'ville head coach. I said HINT. It may be nothing, but...

First? This has been a "rumored" policy for years, recruiting without scholarships available, and wham they appear. This "allegedly" happens at many other schools as well so it's not a Jeff thing.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/16/14 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
dfineguy wrote:
ball4life wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

First? This has been a "rumored" policy for years, recruiting without scholarships available, and wham they appear. This "allegedly" happens at many other schools as well so it's not a Jeff thing.

It also may just reflect a player's realization that the younger players are better, and that playing time is going to be at a minimum.

For most players, their career is over in the blink of an eye. What waste a season (or two) watching someone else play?

And should Walz, or any other coach, not recruit elite players just so older players don't have to sit on the bench?

PostPosted: 07/16/14 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ball4life wrote:
dfineguy wrote:
ball4life wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

It also may just reflect a player's realization that the younger players are better, and that playing time is going to be at a minimum.

For most players, their career is over in the blink of an eye. What waste a season (or two) watching someone else play?

And should Walz, or any other coach, not recruit elite players just so older players don't have to sit on the bench?

My point was not about a player sitting on the bench, it was about a player being asked to find another school. As you may know schools can only have 15 kids and if you will already have 15 and you recruit 1 or 2 more then you need to make room for the new players somehow. The question is as a coach is it cool to boot a player off your team because a supposedly better player wants to come?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/16/14 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
ClayK wrote:
ball4life wrote:
dfineguy wrote:
ball4life wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

My point was not about a player sitting on the bench, it was about a player being asked to find another school. As you may know schools can only have 15 kids and if you will already have 15 and you recruit 1 or 2 more then you need to make room for the new players somehow. The question is as a coach is it cool to boot a player off your team because a supposedly better player wants to come?

No, it's not cool. But it's also not uncommon, most notoriously in SEC football where getting a scholarship seems to amount to little more than a one year tryout. The Atlanta Journal Constitution has written on this subject a lot over the past few years. See. For example, [url] http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/01/20/ncaa-has-lost-sight-of-mission-needs-to-end-oversigning [/url].

Which is why mandatory four year guaranteed scholarships are in my view the most needed reform measure.

You might like this story too:

http://deadspin.com/5876535/just-as-he-promised-nick-saban-finds-a-way-around-the-secs-oversigning-rules

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/16/14 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point, though, is whether it comes from the coach or the player, or an honest conversation. For example ...

Coach: I recruited you, I respect your effort but as I look at our roster for next year, I think it could be hard for you to get enough minutes to make you happy. I'm not saying that will happen, but you're going to have battle Jessica Jumpshot, and she's pretty good.

Player: I've played with Jumpshot, and I can hang with her.

Coach: You may be right, but if the staff had to make a decision today, we'd be going with Jessica. I don't want you to be unhappy, but I'm not sure the situation will work out the way you hoped when you first came here. You're a good player, but in our judgment, Jessica's just better right now. You might be able to prove us wrong before the season starts, but you might not.

Player: But I have to sit out a year if I transfer.

Coach: I know. We'll release you, of course, and if we could make it so you could play right away, we would. But in the long run, what's more important? Playing your last two years or battling to beat out Jessica?

Player: OK, let me think about it.

Now of course, if the player leaves, the coach is happy for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean his conversation is dishonest either. If the player were better than Jessica, she'd play.

PostPosted: 07/16/14 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
My point, though, is whether it comes from the coach or the player, or an honest conversation. For example ...

Coach: I recruited you, I respect your effort but as I look at our roster for next year, I think it could be hard for you to get enough minutes to make you happy. I'm not saying that will happen, but you're going to have battle Jessica Jumpshot, and she's pretty good.

Coach: You may be right, but if the staff had to make a decision today, we'd be going with Jessica. I don't want you to be unhappy, but I'm not sure the situation will work out the way you hoped when you first came here. You're a good player, but in our judgment, Jessica's just better right now. You might be able to prove us wrong before the season starts, but you might not.

Coach: I know. We'll release you, of course, and if we could make it so you could play right away, we would. But in the long run, what's more important? Playing your last two years or battling to beat out Jessica?

Now of course, if the player leaves, the coach is happy for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean his conversation is dishonest either. If the player were better than Jessica, she'd play.

I totally agree with you there and actually I would call that both fair and business.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/16/14 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

You left out the part about "We're not going to renew your scholarship. If you stay here you'll have to pay your own way."

PostPosted: 07/16/14 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

You left out the part about "We're not going to renew your scholarship. If you stay here you'll have to pay your own way."

And the fact that if a WBB player isn't good enough to get on the court at any school, she also has absolutely zero chance of getting paid to play after college. So at that point the most important thing is, or certainly should be, the free education. All it means is that she's done playing a year or two earlier than she would be otherwise. Maybe she isn't good enough to play, but it's completely inappropriate to take away her scholarship and disrupt her education by forcing her to change schools if she doesn't want to. If playing is important, she can make that decision, but it should be hers to make.

For a girl who has no chance of playing after college (i.e., most of them), the answer to the question "But in the long run, what's more important? Playing your last two years or battling to beat out Jessica?" should be "finishing my free education and getting my degree".

ball4life

PostPosted: 07/16/14 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

However...

Coach: I need some roster space for this kid I don't want that I will probably get rid of later anyway but I'm recruiting her best friend and if I bring her in her friend will probably follow.

Player: Okay well you have two spots available.

Coach: Well actually only one because we just got a comment.

Player: Well you know I'm now %100 healthy from my surgery.

Coach: Yeah, the doctor said that. But we also have an All American that will get released from her LOI and an overseas player that may come. Then the twins come next year even though only one can play I got to take both.

Player: So is my scholarship in jeopardy?

Coach: Sorry to have to say, I will need your gear and keys by 3:00pm today. I will write you a letter of recommendation if you keep your mouth shut, but if you repeat this conversation I will block you from transferring to certain schools and trash you to any coach that calls. Otherwise your free to find a new home.

Player: But in our meeting just last week you said I was doing really well and I'll be the starter next season?

Coach: I say that shit all the time to motivate players

DOBO: Comes in: I have some papers for you to sign

Coach: And tell your mother don't come up here acting all crazy cause I will call the police.

Player: "sob"

Coach: Damn, stop crying you know I can't stand that crap. Sign here.

Player: Signs and walks toward door

Coach: Hey!

Player: stops and turns around, teary eyed

Coach: Leave the pen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: