RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Head Coaching Changes (2014)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/02/14 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Somebody got their wish. Of course other than PSU, Nebraska, and OSU no Big 10 schools seem to take WBB very seriously. Although Iowa was a nice surprise this year.

I think Wisconsin's hire of Bobbie Kelsey represented an attempt to get serious, although the results obviously don't show it.

Don't get me strted on what I think of what Wisconsin did to their WBB program Mad

PostPosted: 04/06/14 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JR Payne, takes over at Santa Clara leaving Southern Utah with an opening ...
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_25507978/santa-clara-names-jr-payne-new-womens-basketball

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/06/14 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to JR ... did a great job at Southern Utah. Played at St. Mary's, so has gone over to the dark side, though.

PostPosted: 04/06/14 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Congrats to JR ... did a great job at Southern Utah. Played at St. Mary's, so has gone over to the dark side, though.

How hard will it be to for Santa Clara to recruit in the WCC with Gonzaga, BYU, St. Marys, San Diego, and Pacific presently more appealing schools, at least record wise, to go too?

leelyn

PostPosted: 04/06/14 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Graves from Gonzaga doing business at Uof Oregon today.....I suspect he's gone.....following the big money and the big egos, which KG is not short of.......I suspect and Ill predict it right now that Nicole Powell will be named new head coach.....she started as an assistant last year....

PostPosted: 04/07/14 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ClayK wrote:

How hard will it be to for Santa Clara to recruit in the WCC with Gonzaga, BYU, St. Marys, San Diego, and Pacific presently more appealing schools, at least record wise, to go too?

It's very hard to recruit at Santa Clara -- as it is at all the WCC schools, pretty much. In the shadow of the Pac-12, this is where the 15 scholarship rule really impacts mid-majors and parity. It's very, very hard for a girl and her family to decide to pass on that UCLA scholarship (even if she's destined to sit on the bench) and go to Loyola Marymount, say, or Santa Clara or Pacific.

It's even harder in Northern California because there are fewer players in this part of the state. The talent is down South, in most years, simply by population (I think there are 25 million people in SoCal now ...).

It's possible to succeed, though, as St. Mary's and Pacific have shown. USF is still struggling, though ...

PostPosted: 04/07/14 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
ClayK wrote:

It's very hard to recruit at Santa Clara -- as it is at all the WCC schools, pretty much. In the shadow of the Pac-12, this is where the 15 scholarship rule really impacts mid-majors and parity. It's very, very hard for a girl and her family to decide to pass on that UCLA scholarship (even if she's destined to sit on the bench) and go to Loyola Marymount, say, or Santa Clara or Pacific.

It's even harder in Northern California because there are fewer players in this part of the state. The talent is down South, in most years, simply by population (I think there are 25 million people in SoCal now ...).

It's possible to succeed, though, as St. Mary's and Pacific have shown. USF is still struggling, though ...

Couple of things...in reality, how many kids being recruited by UCLA are being recruited by LMU, Santa Clara or Pacific? But, that being said, with so much talent in that area, there are only so many options for kids if they are wanting to stay at home, which should make all those programs very viable options. Obviously, if the studs want to stay in Cali, they are probably going the Pac-12 route...but the kids that want to stay home and are below "stud level" will choose those other options. I am of the belief that all those programs in Cali could be good as the abundance of talent is there.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/07/14 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ClayK wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Couple of things...in reality, how many kids being recruited by UCLA are being recruited by LMU, Santa Clara or Pacific? But, that being said, with so much talent in that area, there are only so many options for kids if they are wanting to stay at home, which should make all those programs very viable options. Obviously, if the studs want to stay in Cali, they are probably going the Pac-12 route...but the kids that want to stay home and are below "stud level" will choose those other options. I am of the belief that all those programs in Cali could be good as the abundance of talent is there.

I agree that there's plenty of talent -- and the kids that UCLA, say, wants in case somebody gets hurt are the kids who can make Santa Clara, say, competitive in the WCC.

If the scholarship limit were 13, the WCC would be a significantly stronger league.

PostPosted: 04/07/14 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
ClayK wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I agree that there's plenty of talent -- and the kids that UCLA, say, wants in case somebody gets hurt are the kids who can make Santa Clara, say, competitive in the WCC.

If the scholarship limit were 13, the WCC would be a significantly stronger league.

How many of those PAC schools typically carry more than 13 anyhow? It's not a rhetorical question; I'm asking because I don't know.

I haven't counted them up, but it just seems that many major WBB programs regularly use only 12 or 13 scholarships. How many players would reducing the maximum actually free up? Does it help the lesser teams more to have 15 scholarships available because perhaps they need to take more chances in recruiting?

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/07/14 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marlene Stollings to Minnesota ...
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040714aaa.html

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/07/14 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I haven't counted them up, but it just seems that many major WBB programs regularly use only 12 or 13 scholarships. How many players would reducing the maximum actually free up? Does it help the lesser teams more to have 15 scholarships available because perhaps they need to take more chances in recruiting?

Rutgers hasn't had 15 in a very long time, although I won't say that's the norm. My sense always has been that the very tippy-top teams tend to have 15 and teams in non-major conferences tend to have 15, but that a fair number of coaches in the next tier down actually prefer to have only players who are likely to get some PT.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/07/14 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Rutgers hasn't had 15 in a very long time, although I won't say that's the norm. My sense always has been that the very tippy-top teams tend to have 15 and teams in non-major conferences tend to have 15, but that a fair number of coaches in the next tier down actually prefer to have only players who are likely to get some PT.

Maryland ended 7th in the country in rebounding margin. ND finished 9th. Both are good rebounding teams. Don't think anyone really expected ND to double MD's rebound margin, especially with its best rebounder on the bench.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/07/14 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Maryland ended 7th in the country in rebounding margin. ND finished 9th. Both are good rebounding teams. Don't think anyone really expected ND to double MD's rebound margin, especially with its best rebounder on the bench.

Wrong thread?

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/08/14 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Graves to Oregon

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/09/14 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Open

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040914aac.html

ball4life

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Natasha Adair got the Georgetown job

geeceem

PostPosted: 04/10/14 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Noob query here: has anyone succeeded in hiring any of Geno's assistants away from UConn? You'd think they could pretty much write their own tickets...

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/10/14 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Been seeing it and sources close to me are saying its done, but I was hoping to wait for confirmation

ball4life wrote:
Natasha Adair got the Georgetown job

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/10/14 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
Noob query here: has anyone succeeded in hiring any of Geno's assistants away from UConn? You'd think they could pretty much write their own tickets...

Relatively recently, Jemelle Elliot left for Cincy, which has pretty much been a disaster. Tonya Cardoza left for Temple, which has gone somewhat better.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/10/14 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:

Yesl: Tonya Cardoza at Temple and Jamelle Elliott at Cincinnati. (Maybe more, but these are the ones I know.)

That said, my understanding is that several schools have made a run at Chris Dailey and she's decided she doesn't want to leave.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
geeceem wrote:

Yesl: Tonya Cardoza at Temple and Jamelle Elliott at Cincinnati. (Maybe more, but these are the ones I know.)

That said, my understanding is that several schools have made a run at Chris Dailey and she's decided she doesn't want to leave.

I don't think anyone even calls her anymore. She has made it clear she is at UConn for as long as Geno is there. But yes, her phone rang many times over the years but no one really bothers anymore...lol. Can't blame her. Her salary, the side income from endorsements, summer camp money, the championships and all the other benefits she gets, why leave?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
beknighted wrote:
geeceem wrote:

I don't think anyone even calls her anymore. She has made it clear she is at UConn for as long as Geno is there. But yes, her phone rang many times over the years but no one really bothers anymore...lol. Can't blame her. Her salary, the side income from endorsements, summer camp money, the championships and all the other benefits she gets, why leave?

Yeah, I think people finally have gotten the message. Once upon a time, there was a story going around that the only job she'd take would be at Rutgers (where she was on the team that won the last AIAW tournament), but I never really believed it. I believe she did apply for it when CVS was hired, and was unhappy she wasn't picked, which played a little bit into the RU-UConn animosity for a while. (Looking back, I don't know what would have made her think she would get it - CVS had 2 Final Fours at 2 different schools, and UConn wasn't UConn then.)

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
beknighted wrote:
geeceem wrote:

Yeah, I think people finally have gotten the message. Once upon a time, there was a story going around that the only job she'd take would be at Rutgers (where she was on the team that won the last AIAW tournament), but I never really believed it. I believe she did apply for it when CVS was hired, and was unhappy she wasn't picked, which played a little bit into the RU-UConn animosity for a while. (Looking back, I don't know what would have made her think she would get it - CVS had 2 Final Fours at 2 different schools, and UConn wasn't UConn then.)

Interesting tidbit...I had no idea about that Rutgers scenario. Man, that was quite a while ago as it seems as though CVS has been there forever.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/10/14 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
geeceem wrote:

Relatively recently, Jemelle Elliot left for Cincy, which has pretty much been a disaster. Tonya Cardoza left for Temple, which has gone somewhat better.

My understanding is that there have been some serious issues at Temple which have resulted in numerous players leaving. I'd love to know what's behind that. I'm guessing there are personality clashes and disciplinary issues, but who knows? Temple had gotten better when Dawn Staley had them, then reverted after she left. I have no clue what is going on at Cincy.

One thing I do know is that some people make better assistants than managers. I found that out the hard way for myself! I tried management once and it just wasn't for me. Such is the case with some coaches, I believe.

PostPosted: 04/10/14 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
geeceem wrote:

My understanding is that there have been some serious issues at Temple which have resulted in numerous players leaving. I'd love to know what's behind that. I'm guessing there are personality clashes and disciplinary issues, but who knows? Temple had gotten better when Dawn Staley had them, then reverted after she left. I have no clue what is going on at Cincy.

One thing I do know is that some people make better assistants than managers. I found that out the hard way for myself! I tried management once and it just wasn't for me. Such is the case with some coaches, I believe.

Great point ... if anyone saw the move "20 Feet from Stardom" (highly recommended) about backup singers, Bruce Springsteen had a great quote. He said, referring to the title, "It's a long walk."

The same is true from going from assistant to head. As an assistant, you can be everybody's friend and you can defer all the tough decisions. It's a lot different when you're in charge (I was an assistant in high school for about 10 years before becoming a head coach (again), and being an assistant is in most ways a lot more fun.)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: