RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pam Parsons and Tina Buck
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/25/05 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Pilight, you read my mind. Please read into that. (wink, wink)

I'm speaking entirely hypothetically. Wink

Of course. So am I. Wink

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/25/05 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Suppose a player with a history of being popular among fans (such as being voted on to the All Star team several times), who had won multiple WNBA titles (or gold medals), or who had won league awards (maybe even an MVP) were to publicly come out. Would that have a greater impact than Wicks and/or Van Gorp? What if it was someone who had made statements that could be considered homophobic in the past? Would that make a difference?

Maybe I'm way on the wrong track here, but I think every college program is its own little mini-environment. If a famous WNBA player came out, I'm not sure that it would make it easier for a college girl at, say, Western Kentucky to come out. I'm not certain about that, though. It just seems like the people you're around every day and how you think they would react would be a bigger factor. I definitely don't think it would hurt, however.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/25/05 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
the fact that only two players are known to be out since Parsons and Buck tells me there is a problem with being out, as 24duzitall said.

Perhaps it would make a difference if someone little more high profile came out. Wicks was a role player and Van Gorp a bencher.

Suppose a player with a history of being popular among fans (such as being voted on to the All Star team several times), who had won multiple WNBA titles (or gold medals), or who had won league awards (maybe even an MVP) were to publicly come out. Would that have a greater impact than Wicks and/or Van Gorp? What if it was someone who had made statements that could be considered homophobic in the past? Would that make a difference?

Hypothetically, of course, I think it might make a huge difference to women and girls who couldn't pick a better role model than such a player .

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/26/05 5:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Hypothetically, of course, I think it might make a huge difference to women and girls who couldn't pick a better role model than such a player .

I think it would make a huge difference in helping them feel like they're not alone, that they're okay, things like that.

But the college environment is just so different from the pro environment, that I'm not sure that it will have a major impact on college players' decisions to come out. Maybe we'lll find out soon, though. Smile

pilight

PostPosted: 10/26/05 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
pilight wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
the fact that only two players are known to be out since Parsons and Buck tells me there is a problem with being out, as 24duzitall said.

Perhaps it would make a difference if someone little more high profile came out. Wicks was a role player and Van Gorp a bencher.

Perhaps if this hypothetical player was African American it would make a difference as well. Many (most?) WBB players are black, after all, and are less likely to see the all blonde Wicks or Van Gorp as role models.

PostPosted: 10/26/05 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, we've got a non-hypothetical, very famous, African-American player out of the closet now... let's see what happens.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/sports/20051026/c1sline26.art.htm

(now with spelling variations)
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/26/05 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this announcement deserves a thread of its own.

Keegan

PostPosted: 10/26/05 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Like this?
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/26/05 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

Like this?

Yep! I was so overwhelmed by the USA Today story that Queenie linked to that I forgot to look back at the forum front page! Embarassed

ILuvCatch

PostPosted: 10/26/05 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Well, we've got a non-hypothetical, very famous, African-American player out of the closet now... let's see what happens.

She's not the first one. #12

-Tamika Catchings
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/26/05 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILuvCatch wrote:
Queenie wrote:

She's not the first one. #12

This #12?
http://deseretnews.com/sydney/view/1,3466,195018394,00.html?

Nat did work for Olivia, teaching basketball skills. Maybe I'm just quibbling, but did she actually come out, publicly?

ILuvCatch

PostPosted: 10/26/05 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Nat did work for Olivia, teaching basketball skills. Maybe I'm just quibbling, but did she actually come out, publicly?

She did not verbally come out that I'm aware of. I was just responding that Sheryl was not the first WNBA player to endorse Olivia.

-Tamika Catchings
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILuvCatch wrote:
Quote:

She did not verbally come out that I'm aware of. I was just responding that Sheryl was not the first WNBA player to endorse Olivia.

It's complicated, isn't it! Laughing

SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/25/17 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hindsight..since then -

-Rene Portland left Portland State in part after pressure from her homophobic policies

-Pokey Chatman resigned from LSU after a relationship with a player. Not totally shunned by WBB world like Parsons, now a WNBA coach (there was virtually no pro option for Parson back then and it was still a new thing)

-Multiple 'out' players in the WNBA now

-Sherri Murrell (spelling), Jennifer Azzi, Stephanie White are far and few out former and current coaches

An interesting point that irks me is an article where Nancy Lieberman says what Parsons did was unforgivable because of the coach-player thing, yet Lieberman herself was apparently with one of her players while with the Detroit Shock.

To be somewhat fair, there have been male coach-female player scandals as well so like one poster said, don't f**k your players! lol

One interesting thing...the one shunned now seems to be Portland. Back then, Parsons was the one shunned. Even at the Final Four, people boo or grow silent when they show the past Final Four coaches on the big screen.

There is still an abundance of homophobia no doubt (look at the former Drake assistant who filed a discrimination suit, the Wiggins ordeal, etc.)

A lot has progressed in 35 years..it'd be interesting to see how more far we've come in 10 more years. After reading the articles, I'm more pissed at Pam for the way she treated players (a la Lavonda Wagner, Sheryl Swoopes) than I am that she was in the closet and was dating one of her players (which was a big deal back then of course).

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/25/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one ever accused Nancy Lieberman of being reasonable ...

Anna DeForge was the player.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Hindsight..since then -

-Rene Portland left Portland State in part after pressure from her homophobic policies.

I believe you meant PENN STATE. Razz All overshadowed by the infamous Jerry Sandusky affair, of course....(I'm so *proud* to be a Pennsylvanian. Laughing )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: