RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the hot seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 03/08/14 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Boston University's Kelly Greenberg should be.

"One basketball player at Boston University said she felt so emotionally damaged by her coach she considered suicide.

Another player said the coach, Kelly Greenberg, treated her so poorly she sought mental health care. And two other players said Greenberg’s emotional abuse ruined their love of the sport.

All four women walked away from the BU women’s basketball team this academic year, an exodus that has renewed questions about Greenberg’s treatment of her student-athletes — and her future at the school. ..."

http://preview.tinyurl.com/nnx4woz

Same newspaper, same Coach SIX YEARS AGO:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2008/04/17/basketball-players-allege-cruel-treatment-from-women-coach-kelly-greenberg/L5iJADWEDAWe8k7449DPbM/story.html

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/09/14 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Globe actually decided to present at least part of the other side of the story: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/high-schools/2014/03/09/current-and-former-players-rally-support-coach-kelly-greenberg/rjXPVbzGdvMZrAyGx0Vy0M/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/09/14 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
The Globe actually decided to present at least part of the other side of the story: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/high-schools/2014/03/09/current-and-former-players-rally-support-coach-kelly-greenberg/rjXPVbzGdvMZrAyGx0Vy0M/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

The way I'm reading these two articles, and with my fragmented memory of BU's big players, it sounds like she'll have your back as long as she thinks you're capable- but as soon as you falter, she'll kick you while you're down and kick you to the curb.

PostPosted: 03/09/14 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopscoop reporting major opening coming up in Big 12...put 2+2 with the expiring contracts and got 4.

Patterson appears out but NOT confirmed.

EDIT: Looks Official

Brenda VanLengen ‏@BrendaVanLengen 50s
Shocked to see the release that Deb Patterson was "relieved of her duties" at @kstatewbb #Big12WBB

Michelle Voepel must be out backflipping the Cheerleaders right now

Last edited by Happycappie25 on 03/09/14 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 03/09/14 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Hoopscoop reporting major opening coming up in Big 12...put 2+2 with the expiring contracts and got 4.

Patterson appears out but NOT confirmed.

Wow, would be warranted but shocking. I could see them pursuing Collen.

PostPosted: 03/09/14 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Capri wrote:
What all this points to is that being a successful major coach is rare, there are few individuals who can do it, and no prior experience or "pedigree" can ensure it. There is also a great deal of luck involved.

It is the nature of the situation that at any point in time, only a minority of coaches can be considered successful. It is also in the best interest of the top high school players to make only a small amount of coaches very successful. They want to pool their talent with other top players at a single school (under a single coach) so they have a better chance of winning a championship. Which is why year after year the top players reveal the same small number of schools on their list of those they are considering, with maybe some local college of their state being the lone deviation from list to list. And it trickles down, if you aren't good enough to get UConn, Tenn, Standford, Duke etc., then you make a list of the best schools that will have you.

It's never a level playing field for the coaches. At one point in time, one school/coach is on the list made by US National Team players, and another school/coach is on the list made by players who were honorable mention in their local high school conference post-season awards.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/10/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another issue is that there just aren't that many quality players. There is a much deeper talent pool in men's basketball than in women's so a program like Wichita State can go 34-0 even without the top-shelf recruits.

And that's the key word: recruits. Coaching in women's college basketball is pretty much all about recruiting, though outliers like Scott Rueck of Oregon State can have nice seasons. Still, USC has four McDonald's all-Americans, and it's not easy to overcome a talent advantage in big games.

PostPosted: 03/10/14 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile Duke constantly get better recruits than Notre Dame, but Notre Dame consistently beats them. So, it's also about coaching and player development ...

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/10/14 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Another issue is that there just aren't that many quality players. There is a much deeper talent pool in men's basketball than in women's so a program like Wichita State can go 34-0 even without the top-shelf recruits.

While there is no denying the depth of talent in men's vs women's basketball recruits, I do feel that the depth is slowly increasing in WBB. What really helps teams like Wichita State are the number of guys that leave the top programs to move onto the NBA. Teams like Wichita State generally have pretty good talent, depth and upperclassmen that they have developed into a very good team. The "one and done" phenomenon doesn't happen in WBB...if it did, it would be interesting to see what would end up happening.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/10/14 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

While there is no denying the depth of talent in men's vs women's basketball recruits, I do feel that the depth is slowly increasing in WBB. What really helps teams like Wichita State are the number of guys that leave the top programs to move onto the NBA. Teams like Wichita State generally have pretty good talent, depth and upperclassmen that they have developed into a very good team. The "one and done" phenomenon doesn't happen in WBB...if it did, it would be interesting to see what would end up happening.

Exactly. There is a talent differential between men's and women's, but length of career is the biggest factor in creating the kinds of women's dynasties you don't see in the men's side. Who would be top teams this season with players like Stewart Dolson, KML, Hartley, Ogwumike, Lloyd, Williams, Sims, Shimmel, etc., etc., all out of college?

FS02

PostPosted: 03/10/14 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Exactly. There is a talent differential between men's and women's, but length of career is the biggest factor in creating the kinds of women's dynasties you don't see in the men's side. Who would be top teams this season with players like Stewart Dolson, KML, Hartley, Ogwumike, Lloyd, Williams, Sims, Shimmel, etc., etc., all out of college?

The best team would probably be like North Carolina is this year.

PostPosted: 03/10/14 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good point about the one and one ...

As for Notre Dame and Duke's talent levels, I think Duke may get higher-rated talent by people like me, but it may be that ND is actually getting better players.

Then again, I'm not off-the-top-of-my-head confident that Duke does recruit more higher rated players than Notre Dame. Both of them do pretty well in that regard ...

PostPosted: 03/10/14 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go year-by-year on ESPN HoopGurlz, and you will see that Duke is nearly always rated above Notre Dame. In any event, returning back to the topic of the thread:

What's going on at Texas Tech and UCSB? I know those coaches are relatively new there, but talk about some seriously bad results for these programs!

And, how did Barefoot at ODU get a recent 5 year extension? That program surely has fallen.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/11/14 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:
Go year-by-year on ESPN HoopGurlz, and you will see that Duke is nearly always rated above Notre Dame. In any event, returning back to the topic of the thread:

What's going on at Texas Tech and UCSB? I know those coaches are relatively new there, but talk about some seriously bad results for these programs!

And, how did Barefoot at ODU get a recent 5 year extension? That program surely has fallen.

In a somewhat similar vein to ODU, TSpoon is very quickly trending in the wrong direction at LaTech. I am sure she makes it through this year, but hers is a seat that should be awfully warm next year.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/11/14 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
In a somewhat similar vein to ODU, TSpoon is very quickly trending in the wrong direction at LaTech. I am sure she makes it through this year, but hers is a seat that should be awfully warm next year.

Yeah, 14th in a pretty weak C-USA is poor.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/11/14 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Yeah, 14th in a pretty weak C-USA is poor.

Very poor.

LaTech will obviously never been what they once were, but there is no reason they can't aspire to be similar to a MTSU or Gonzaga type.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/11/14 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think spoon can coach, she did very well with long's kids, Long couldn't get anything out of them...but she can't recruit, this is an alarming and fast drop (2 years since AJ and the tourney) in a weaker conference to boot. I think she's in the W next year...if not biding her time in a front office this summer (Watch your back, Bill Wink)

As for others on the hot seat, since Hoopscoop has pulled back on her being fired...here's more on the Kelly Greenberg Investigation was going to make own thread but trying to keep things to general threads Wink

We've heard the abuse allegations but now it's hit the national hard news media...

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/boston-university-womens-basketball-coach-faces-bullying-accusations/story?id=22858477

Need a little more than this article...but it doesn't look good...I think Queenie hit it on the head, she cares about her stars and makes examples out of her non stars...been done before...but wouldn't call that the best way to treat anyone.

PostPosted: 03/12/14 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now for another take on the Boston University situation.
stever

PostPosted: 03/12/14 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

...wow, great "source"...thanks for sharing. Rolling Eyes

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/12/14 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YES it's a blog, YES it's opinion, YES it solicited some rather unsavory sexist comments at the bottom of the screen (I know I know 4th commandment of the Interwebs, thou shalt not read the comments)

But thanks Youth Coach for posting that, Obviously this person feels that the college world has gotten too soft (men and women) since Mike Rice and there is some merit to that. The holy cross situiation is a prime example of this.

It's not NEWS, it's opinion, But it's an opinion that has merit...there are 4 sides to every story...Complainers, Defenders, What the Media WANTS you to believe and the truth. We see 1 and 3...let's try to find 2 and 4.

off the beaten path but a welcome post, Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/12/14 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

...wow, great "source"...thanks for sharing. Rolling Eyes

Sarcasm notwithstanding, I did say it was another take. I presented the link with no further comment as to the level of agreement I did or did not have with it.

But I thought it worth sharing the OPINION of someone else.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/15/14 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like I Wasn't a year early on Louisiana Tech after all. Spoon is out.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 03/16/14 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Weatherspoon was canned last night.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/viewart/20140315/SPORTS/303150035/Louisiana-Tech-fires-Teresa-Weatherspoon

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/16/14 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Her contract ran out this year, too easy and i think right move, I think Spoon is better fit for the W, she won when she had talent, but didn't recruit

PostPosted: 03/16/14 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Her contract ran out this year, too easy and i think right move, I think Spoon is better fit for the W, she won when she had talent, but didn't recruit

Mailman not happy. http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2014/03/16/karl-malone-speaks-out-via-twitter-about-the-firing-of-louisiana-tech-coach-teresa-weatherspoon/

Quote:
And I am ashamed, once again, on the way the powers to be handled the situation. So until Louisiana Tech start to think about the students....and student athletes my family and I will no longer give financial support to the school.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: