RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the hot seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/31/13 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Word is that Coach Carolyn DeHoff sold her house in Fargo. The Bison are 3-10 heading into Summit league play and NoDakSt fans think a coaching change could be eminent.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/06/14 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lost in all the upsets as conference play began was that UVA lost at home to Pitt.

Yes, I understand that Pitt is improved, and I really like that they hired Suzie McConnell-Serio as coach, but still, this is a team that went 0-32 in the BE over the past two years. I expect them to improve, but they're not that much improved already.

I expect UVA is going to lose a LOT more games this year. Indeed, by the looks of things there are no sure wins and quite a few sure losses. They were really suppose to make a big recovery this year as they got players back from injury and added some talented freshmen, but instead they look worse than last year.

I don't see any reason to think anything is going to improve at UVA. If Boyle survives this year, to me it's only because the UVA administration doesn't really take WBB seriously and simply doesn't care. Because she shouldn't.

They just need to go pay Kenny Brooks whatever he demands and steal him from JMU.

Actually, what they need to try to do first is try to lure Dawn Staley back to be the savior of her alma mater. Very unlikely she would take the job, but they need to try.

In reality, UVA probably won't be willing to buy out Boyle's contract and they'll just ride out what is headed towards becoming a total disaster.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/06/14 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NationalInsider wrote:
Florida - Got out rebounded by UNF by 10 only won by 11 playing a horrible non-conference schedule and tallest kid healthy on the team is 6-0 ....

I dunno.....after knocking KY off (on their own floor), I'd say Butler has some good juju going for herself.

PostPosted: 01/06/14 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Art, IIRC, Virginia offered to Kenny Brooks before Boyle took the job and he told them no. I don't think he wants to leave JMU. I know, money can make people do anything, but I think it'd take a loooooooooooot of money.

PostPosted: 01/06/14 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Art, IIRC, Virginia offered to Kenny Brooks before Boyle took the job and he told them no. I don't think he wants to leave JMU. I know, money can make people do anything, but I think it'd take a loooooooooooot of money.

I understand he's turned down several offers from bigger programs.

But, that was three years ago, and maybe they just need to offer more money if they are serious about the program.

Staley would be the dream for UVA, but there's really no reason for her to move unless she just has some dream of leading her alma mater to the promised land. Some people do.

And if those two won't take it, then they're just going to have to look elsewhere. But what they have certainly isn't working out.

There's a "lot" of money and then there's a "LOT" of money. I'm not sure that it's ever really a "LOT" of money when we're talking about hiring a WCBB coach. Reportedly Brooks makes $216,000/year at JMU. UVA has about a $75M/year athletic budget. Supposedly Boyle's total package is close to $700,000/year. Even adding two or three hundred thousand to that and offering Brooks $1M/year would basically be rounding error in the UVA budget. But I expect it would be hard for him to turn down. BTW, UVA men's coach Tony Bennett makes $1.7M/year.

joetro

PostPosted: 01/06/14 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why has Boyle struggled so much? I thought she did a nice job at Cal.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/06/14 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia has taken a back seat to getting the top prospects in the region/state. Maryland, Duke, and North Carolina - and to a lesser degree, Georgetown, James Madison - have grabbed up better recruiting classes over the last few years.

It's a lot to overcome and she hasn't secured that signature recruit or even that signature win.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/06/14 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Virginia has taken a back seat to getting the top prospects in the region/state. Maryland, Duke, and North Carolina - and to a lesser degree, Georgetown, James Madison - have grabbed up better recruiting classes over the last few years.

It's a lot to overcome and she hasn't secured that signature recruit or even that signature win.

This is only her 3rd year, and she landed the #10 recruiting class in the country per Prospects Nation. That may not match Duke, but it's a lot better than the other schools in the DMV. Sidney Umeri was a top notch recruit and was one of five top 100. And she has the #12 ranked class for 2014. Now, she has already lost Fioravanti to a transfer for reasons not yet clear.

So she's recruiting just fine. It's the actual on-court performance that isn't good.

loneycafe

PostPosted: 01/06/14 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I understand he's turned down several offers from bigger programs.

But, that was three years ago, and maybe they just need to offer more money if they are serious about the program.

Staley would be the dream for UVA, but there's really no reason for her to move unless she just has some dream of leading her alma mater to the promised land. Some people do.

And if those two won't take it, then they're just going to have to look elsewhere. But what they have certainly isn't working out.

There's a "lot" of money and then there's a "LOT" of money. I'm not sure that it's ever really a "LOT" of money when we're talking about hiring a WCBB coach. Reportedly Brooks makes $216,000/year at JMU. UVA has about a $75M/year athletic budget. Supposedly Boyle's total package is close to $700,000/year. Even adding two or three hundred thousand to that and offering Brooks $1M/year would basically be rounding error in the UVA budget. But I expect it would be hard for him to turn down. BTW, UVA men's coach Tony Bennett makes $1.7M/year.

What happened with Staley and Virginia during that coaching search? Did she say no, or was she not offered?

gymrat32

PostPosted: 01/06/14 7:24 pm    ::: Houston Cougars Coach steps down Reply Reply with quote

Todd Buchanan stepped down as head coach. He was in his 4th year with a record of 46-56.

PostPosted: 01/06/14 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:
Why has Boyle struggled so much? I thought she did a nice job at Cal.

Boyle DID do some "nice" things at Cal. I believe she even notched a win over Stanford. But somewhere along the way, her wheels didn't exactly fall off, but they just got irreversibly *wobbly*.

PostPosted: 01/07/14 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is surprising to me that Boyle has not done better at Virginia, but then again recruiting was never her strong point at Cal. Kevin Morrison brought in much of the talent that both Boyle and Lindsay Gottlieb have ridden to success, and of course college basketball is basically about recruiting.

PostPosted: 01/07/14 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What all this points to is that being a successful major coach is rare, there are few individuals who can do it, and no prior experience or "pedigree" can ensure it. There is also a great deal of luck involved. Coach G probably could have been very successful at Texas except great coaches/recruiters were hired a few years earlier at Baylor and TAMU. It's hard to get established in an area if there are already known entities getting most of the talent. There is no formula because it's more about people skills and force of personality than a set of traits or knowledge that can be taught.

I'm a fan of a school in which the AD values loyalty (as in won't leave to take a better paying job) above winning - and we've got got WBB and MBB coaches that see Purdue as a terminal career move, but aren't advancing their respective programs. If Miller out-recruits Purdue in Indiana, the Boilermakers are in for decades of hurt no matter who the coach is. And from all indications our AD is going to sit by and let it happen.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 01/07/14 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It is surprising to me that Boyle has not done better at Virginia, but then again recruiting was never her strong point at Cal. Kevin Morrison brought in much of the talent that both Boyle and Lindsay Gottlieb have ridden to success, and of course college basketball is basically about recruiting.

Boyle's success at Cal was due to the recruits that she inherited from the previous coach, Caren Horstmeyer.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/07/14 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True, Horstmeyer's recruits played a big role in the first two good teams. Then Kevin Morrison's SoCal recruits sparked the last one.

PostPosted: 01/07/14 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So - aside from Boyle...any thoughts on other gigs? Obviously Houston and Georgetown will probably open with interim tags on both.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/07/14 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
True, Horstmeyer's recruits played a big role in the first two good teams. Then Kevin Morrison's SoCal recruits sparked the last one.

Well, looking forward Cowling and Green aren't too shabby nor is this year's class that include Range, Jefflo, and Hind. I don't think Kevin had anything to do with those recruits did he? Wink

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/08/14 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Green and Cowling are big gets, and I've always liked Range.

The problem, though, is that there are no shooters anywhere. Cal is really good everywhere but jumpshooting -- of course, the Bears are not alone in the lack of shooters department.

Gottlieb certainly gets credit for getting the three local girls to stay home, and for finding Jefflo, who looks like she will become a pretty good player (of course at this point she can't shoot very well) down the road.

PostPosted: 01/23/14 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So after back-to-back big wins, a .500 or better ACC record for Boyle wouldn't surprise me at all. Virginia is now 3-3 with Duke, ND and Maryland out of the way. Up next are Clemson, Boston College, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech, all very winnable games.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/23/14 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
So after back-to-back big wins, a .500 or better ACC record for Boyle wouldn't surprise me at all. Virginia is now 3-3 with Duke, ND and Maryland out of the way. Up next are Clemson, Boston College, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech, all very winnable games.

I guess I was the one who brought her into this thread in the first place, but with the wins over VaTech, FSU and MD, I think she's probably saved her job if it was ever really in jeopardy. I expect them to win some more.

They're now playing the way they were expected to play before the season began. It took a while though.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/27/14 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Niya Butts, anyone? Her team is bad, and has gotten worse.

It will be interesting to see how Arizona approaches the next hire -- clearly they didn't care to invest in the coaching position last time around, and unlike UCLA with Nikki Caldwell, they didn't get lucky.

Another $250,000 salary and the Wildcats will settle firmly into the bottom of the Pac-12 for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: 01/27/14 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been wondering about Autumn Rademacher's situation at University of Detroit. She's an alum and has been successful there until this season.

She lost Shareta Brown to transfer (21 ppg) at the end of last season's 21-13 result, and it seems to have gone downhill quickly.

This season they're 0-6 in the Horizon, 3-16 overall. Amazingly, one of the losses was to NAIA Madonna. One of the wins was against NAIA Lawrence Tech.

Last edited by mzonefan on 01/27/14 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/27/14 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Niya Butts, anyone? Her team is bad, and has gotten worse.

It will be interesting to see how Arizona approaches the next hire -- clearly they didn't care to invest in the coaching position last time around, and unlike UCLA with Nikki Caldwell, they didn't get lucky.

Another $250,000 salary and the Wildcats will settle firmly into the bottom of the Pac-12 for the foreseeable future.

Obviously Butts has not had the results, one might expect, in almost every year since she has been at UA. There was one good year in 2010-11 when she had White, Ibekwe and Lucet and had 21 wins but didnt make the NCAA's, even with a 26 RPI.

This years team, with a horrible 4-15/0-8 record was in nearly every game through the first 15 games(only one loss by more than 10 points). However, injuries, and the lack of elite talent(recruitng problems) have hurt the Wildcats. The last 4-5 games UA has only dressed 7 or 8 players(only 7 in the past two games were dressed and played)

Both CTT and Butts have done a horrible job in recruiting elite talent over the past few years and keeping any of the elite Arizona talent in state. CTT has her team playing much better, for now at least.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/27/14 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like 2010-11 was Butts' only winning season.

I went back and looked at Bonvicini's results at UofA: 7 NCAA appearances, 2 WNIT appearances. Sometimes new, young and different is not the answer.

Then I remembered Polkey and how quickly things changed there. Bonvincini still chokes up about her death: http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2020474338_brewer03.html

Quote:
On Sept. 26, 2005, Shawntinice Polk died at age 22 because a blood clot in her lungs caused her heart to fail. She collapsed in the training room during a doctor's appointment. Sadness enveloped the entire Arizona athletic department.

Bonvicini was on a recruiting trip in Los Angeles that day. As difficult as it was to hear the horrible news over the phone, a seemingly unmanageable situation awaited Bonvicini when she returned several hours later. A heartbroken team. Grief counselors. Media requests. And what about the pain of a coach who believed in Polkey when other schools were unwilling to take the chance, who had helped her mature into a splendid, affable young woman? Bonvicini had to suppress it to help the others, but her pain was there. It's still there.

Over the next three years, Bonvicini lost more games than she ever had, but that didn't matter as much as being a mother to her grieving team. Even today, she won't detail everything she went through during that time, explaining, "My job was to protect that team, protect the players, protect the program. We had a lot of things we could never say publicly that happened. And I won't say publicly now. It was very, very difficult."

Arizona fired Bonvicini in 2008 after those three losing seasons. She wanted to take another job immediately, but much to her surprise, she didn't get one. So she spent 16 months working as a television color analyst. She traveled the country, visiting the practices and talking shop with some of the best men's and women's basketball coaches. She was on a self-improvement mission.

mnlynxfan

PostPosted: 01/27/14 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PLEASE add Pam Borton at the Univeristy of Minnesota to the list. Her record in the Big Ten the past 4 years is WELL below 500. They started off pretty good at the start of the season but once they started Big Ten play, well, just take a look.

Yesterday they played Penn State and got humiliated in a 30 point loss. 3 of the 5 starters only took 6 shots and score 4 points. How pathetic!! I also heard that when those 3 took a shot and missed, Pam pulled them from the game. She is doing NOTHING with this team. They are relying on Rachel Branham to do ALL the scoring.

TIME FOR A CHANGE AT MINNESOTA!!![/b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: