RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Interesting Rumor : Aja Picks UConn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tribble

PostPosted: 11/01/13 2:59 am    ::: Interesting Rumor : Aja Picks UConn? Reply Reply with quote

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla

Just heard some very positive news about #uconnwomen and top-ranked HS center A'ja Wilson

Doesn't say what the "positive news" is, but what else could it be?

SouthernFan

PostPosted: 11/01/13 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Possibly that she had a GREAT time on her visit. Let's not make something out of what's more than likely nothing.

tribble

PostPosted: 11/01/13 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SouthernFan wrote:
Possibly that she had a GREAT time on her visit. Let's not make something out of what's more than likely nothing.

She already said she had a great time. That is no longer news. It has got to be something more than that.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 11/01/13 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tribble wrote:
SouthernFan wrote:

She already said she had a great time. That is no longer news. It has got to be something more than that.

It's possible she may have been hoping South Carolina would offer her high school teammate , Gadson Lefft . If so, that's out of the picture now since Lefft just committed to Kennesaw State .
South Carolina gets a second visit from Jatarie White this weekend , as well as athletic wing Shakayla Thomas .

tribble

PostPosted: 11/01/13 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="scfastpitch"][quote="tribble"][quote="SouthernFan"]Possibly that she had a GREAT time on her visit. Let's not make something out of what's more than likely nothing.[/quote]

She already said she had a great time. That is no longer news. It has got to be something more than that.[/quote]

It's possible she may have been hoping South Carolina would offer her high school teammate , Gadson Lefft . If so, that's out of the picture now since Lefft just committed to Kennesaw State .
South Carolina gets a second visit from Jatarie White this weekend , as well as athletic wing Shakayla Thomas .[/quote]

How is any of that "positive news" for UConn?

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 11/01/13 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tribble wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
tribble wrote:
SouthernFan wrote:

South Carolina gets a second visit from Jatarie White this weekend , as well as athletic wing Shakayla Thomas .

How is any of that "positive news" for UConn?

The idea of playing with Lefft may have been appealing to Wilson . That's one less factor drawing her towards South Carolina . I just threw in the last sentence on South Carolina recruiting in case anyone was interested .

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/01/13 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You left out the

"and all you UConn fanatics, be sure to read my blog in the Harford Courant for more useless rumor and innuendo."

If there's one thing Altavilla is good it, it's self-promotion.

And evidently it works.

tribble

PostPosted: 11/01/13 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
You left out the

"and all you UConn fanatics, be sure to read my blog in the Harford Courant for more useless rumor and innuendo."

If there's one thing Altavilla is good it, it's self-promotion.

And evidently it works.

If Altavilla did that once, i.e.,if he claimed to have something, then said he had nothing, no one would ever read him again. I believe he has something but for some reason cannot disclose it.

RP

PostPosted: 11/01/13 2:44 pm    ::: A'ja Wilson Reply Reply with quote

She has always maintained that she won't decide until the spring. Not sure why she wouldn't use this upcoming season to see what the AAC will be like without Louisville and Rutgers, how South Carolina and North Carolina stack up, etc., before she commits anywhere.

Brinx

PostPosted: 11/01/13 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, people have been asking her about that positive news on twitter and she sorta laughed it off and said she wouldn't be making any decisions until after Christmas.

RP

PostPosted: 11/01/13 5:13 pm    ::: Huge weekend on tap for Staley, Gamecocks Reply Reply with quote

More than just a tweet:

I spoke with Wilson after her visit to Connecticut two weeks ago, and asked about White. Her reply:

We go way back. Were really close. We just went to the fair together two weekends ago. Weve always said it would be great if we can play together. Were looking for the best fit for the both of us. I would love to play with Jatarie.

It's also worth mentioning that Wilson has said Kaydra Duckett, a South Carolina commit, is "like a sister" to her.

Colerr

PostPosted: 11/01/13 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She also said that she'd take all 5 of her visits. She has three more to go.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 11/01/13 8:28 pm    ::: Re: Huge weekend on tap for Staley, Gamecocks Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
More than just a tweet:

I spoke with Wilson after her visit to Connecticut two weeks ago, and asked about White. Her reply:

We go way back. Were really close. We just went to the fair together two weekends ago. Weve always said it would be great if we can play together. Were looking for the best fit for the both of us. I would love to play with Jatarie.

It's also worth mentioning that Wilson has said Kaydra Duckett, a South Carolina commit, is "like a sister" to her.

Wilson was at the South Carolina exhibition game tonight, sitting with Duckett and two other girls (who I assume were White and Shakayla Thomas ) .

tribble

PostPosted: 11/02/13 3:54 am    ::: Re: Huge weekend on tap for Staley, Gamecocks Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
More than just a tweet:

Really? That is quite a piece of news. I suppose the question is, does she want to win an NC or does she want to play with her friend.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/02/13 1:13 pm    ::: Re: Huge weekend on tap for Staley, Gamecocks Reply Reply with quote

tribble wrote:
RP wrote:
More than just a tweet:

Really? That is quite a piece of news. I suppose the question is, does she want to win an NC or does she want to play with her friend.

Those two are not mutually exclusive -- UConn doesn't win every national championship.

PostPosted: 11/02/13 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Wilson, White and Thomas signed with SC, to go along with Cueves and Coates, SC could also contend for a title. That would be a pretty formidable and versatile starting 5.

PostPosted: 11/03/13 2:30 am    ::: Re: Huge weekend on tap for Staley, Gamecocks Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
tribble wrote:
RP wrote:
More than just a tweet:

Those two are not mutually exclusive -- UConn doesn't win every national championship.

Correct. But we won 8 out of the last 18. How many out of the last 18 or whatever number you want has Staley won? Let's face it, the odds about about 50% on any given year that UConn will win.

tribble

PostPosted: 11/03/13 2:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
If Wilson, White and Thomas signed with SC, to go along with Cueves and Coates, SC could also contend for a title. That would be a pretty formidable and versatile starting 5.

You are absolutely right that it would be a nice team. As for a title contender, I don't know. Of that group, I would consider Wilson the only megaplayer, and the title would be on her shoulders to win. At UConn she would be one of three megaplayers, the other two being Lewis and Stewart. Besides which, UConn has at least 4 guards better than Cueves, and even though she was from New York, UConn didn't even recruit Cueves.

I am not trying to put SC down, but realistically if she wants to get a ring, UConn is odds on the favorite.

tribble

PostPosted: 11/03/13 5:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
Yeah, people have been asking her about that positive news on twitter and she sorta laughed it off and said she wouldn't be making any decisions until after Christmas.

Actually, if she "sorta laughed it off," that means there really was something that happened or that she said that she doesn't want to talk about. Otherwise she would have just denied that anything happened, or claimed she didn't know what he was talking about.

A laugh says, "Yes, I did say something, but I don't want to talk about it."

ANd now she is saying she will make her decision after Christmas, not next May.

Reading between the lines, it does sound good.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 11/03/13 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tribble wrote:
Brinx wrote:

Actually, if she "sorta laughed it off," that means there really was something that happened or that she said that she doesn't want to talk about. Otherwise she would have just denied that anything happened, or claimed she didn't know what he was talking about.

One thing I've learned not to do in recruiting (in any sport) is try to read between the lines . As a 67 year old male I have absolutely no idea what might be going through the mind of a teenage female athlete . And I don't get too carried away with what local writers (Uconn or South Carolina) have to say either . The South Carolina writer may be overly optimistic about our chances to sign both Jatarie White and Shakayla Thomas . I will be more than happy with Dawn's class if we get both of those .

tribble

PostPosted: 11/03/13 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
tribble wrote:
Brinx wrote:

One thing I've learned not to do in recruiting (in any sport) is try to read between the lines . As a 67 year old male I have absolutely no idea what might be going through the mind of a teenage female athlete . And I don't get too carried away with what local writers (Uconn or South Carolina) have to say either . The South Carolina writer may be overly optimistic about our chances to sign both Jatarie White and Shakayla Thomas . I will be more than happy with Dawn's class if we get both of those .

Good point about reading the mind of a teenager. I have an 18 year old daughter. I should know better.

Brinx

PostPosted: 11/03/13 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tribble wrote:
Brinx wrote:

That was my initial thought, however a lot can change in the next few months. Plus she still has a few official visits in 2014 so I'm not putting too much weight on reading between the lines.

ucdt3

PostPosted: 11/04/13 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
tribble wrote:
Brinx wrote:

That was my initial thought, however a lot can change in the next few months. Plus she still has a few official visits in 2014 so I'm not putting too much weight on reading between the lines.

Players have been known to say LOTS of things like "oh I'm waiting til spring or until I take ALL 5 official visits" then suddenly commit after one or two officials and say "oh I went and it just felt right" then just cancel their other visits. So......

We will all just have to wait and see.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/04/13 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Brinx wrote:
tribble wrote:
Brinx wrote:

Players have been known to say LOTS of things like "oh I'm waiting til spring or until I take ALL 5 official visits" then suddenly commit after one or two officials and say "oh I went and it just felt right" then just cancel their other visits. So......

It wasn't her. It was her father who laid out a very detailed plan and timetable for her recruitment.

But hey, I guess we should assume based on some completely meaningless "I heard some good news" from some UConn hack reporter that something is imminent rather than believe what her father said.

The one and only purpose of the stupid tweet was to attract more hits to his employer's website. Obviously it works every time. PT Barnum would be proud.

Oh, and by the way, she can't sign an LOI "after Christmas." She either signs it between November 13 and November 20, or she waits until after next April 16. Them's the rules. By the way, where did you see her say "after Christmas"? Her father has repeatedly said she'll decide next May.

Altavilla's "good news" was probably referring to the latest McDonald's 2 Big Macs for $3 special.

tribble

PostPosted: 11/05/13 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
Brinx wrote:
tribble wrote:
Brinx wrote:

It wasn't her. It was her father who laid out a very detailed plan and timetable for her recruitment.

But hey, I guess we should assume based on some completely meaningless "I heard some good news" from some UConn hack reporter that something is imminent rather than believe what her father said.

The one and only purpose of the stupid tweet was to attract more hits to his employer's website. Obviously it works every time. PT Barnum would be proud.

Oh, and by the way, she can't sign an LOI "after Christmas." She either signs it between November 13 and November 20, or she waits until after next April 16. Them's the rules. By the way, where did you see her say "after Christmas"? Her father has repeatedly said she'll decide next May.

Altavilla's "good news" was probably referring to the latest McDonald's 2 Big Macs for $3 special.

So who is deciding where she is going? She or her father?

No, she can't sign an LOI after Christmas, but she can verbal. Art are you truly that dense?

And P.T. Barnum was a Notre Dame grad wasn't he? Didn't he get everyone in ND Nation to believe that Notre Dame would beat Alabama last year? Like you said.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: