RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is Manti Te'o's girlfriend an internet hoax?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/19/13 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
The fascination seems to be driven by the ego of the media about being lied to.

We have a winner. That and being scooped by freaking Deadspin, the TMZ of sports news.

PostPosted: 01/19/13 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Ref, he admitted tonight that he lied to his dad about having met her and then allowed that misconception or assumption to stand and go public and, of course, propagate and become part of the story of the 2012 football season as well as become established in the national consciousness.

He might have thought at some point, if he were only a normal and semi-honest young man capable of only actual white lies... that holy smokes... this little fiction he told his father about meeting the girl is now going to be assumed by the entire sports-loving country and that erroneous or dishonest assumption will form the basis of the public's perception of him and his incredible bravery in the face of personal tragedy.

He should have been thinking something like, I lied (or misled) my dad but I better contain or completely abandon the idea of allowing any mention of this girlfriend I've never met to become public information... no matter how broken up I might be over her numerous travails. Instead, upon learning of her car accident and subsequent illness and death ... he chose to bring this girlfriend to widespread public awareness.

And all to augment his own story. To put the spotlight on himself and bring more fame to himself.

You're never going to get past that, are you? That he 'lied' to his dad? And you're going to allow that to be the trees that prevent you from seeing the forest.

Until you're able to see the forest, I'm done.

Actually, I'm done. I tried. You can type til your heart's content, I don't care, I won't read it. Have fun!

Geez, what's with people today? I'm just discussing the case here guy. It's not grounds for some personal beef between us. Confused

PostPosted: 01/21/13 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It gets weirder. The hoaxer got another person to take pictures before the NC to trick Te'o into thinking he was there: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8864233/manti-teo-hoaxer-lied-stalking-manti-teo-bcs-title-game-miami-source-says

This on top of apparently using a little kid as part of the hoax during the USC trip. The thing is: this catfish thing actually happens. People pull crap like this for amusement or notoriety and other people watch on TV and laugh at it. What the heck are we becoming?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/21/13 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
It gets weirder. The hoaxer got another person to take pictures before the NC to trick Te'o into thinking he was there: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8864233/manti-teo-hoaxer-lied-stalking-manti-teo-bcs-title-game-miami-source-says

This on top of apparently using a little kid as part of the hoax during the USC trip. The thing is: this catfish thing actually happens. People pull crap like this for amusement or notoriety and other people watch on TV and laugh at it. What the heck are we becoming?

I was thinking... I wonder how many people are out there right now, before this and now after, creating entire family trees online with Twitter and Facebook, Linked In, etc. All fake. Cousins, uncles, far flung, clustered here and there, none of them real. I'm not saying a lot of people are doing this. But I bet there are a few. There are enough very creative and prolific nuts and now they have the internet to play with which gives them the opportunity to fuck with the entire world. How big can you make this family that doesn't exist if you spend months and years on it? What kind of influence or power or skullduggery could you perpetrate and conceal. Or, conversely, I guess, how could it be used to wreak havoc in a positive way. Or forget the constraints of family. Just a far flung network of fake people that could be deployed via Twitter and Facebook to whatever ends someone has in mind.

Anyway. This is 4:00 talking. I should be snoring.

PostPosted: 01/24/13 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can only come to one of two conclusions about Teo:

a. He's a liar and used this "hoax" to gain personal attention

or

b. He's incredibly gullible (I dare say, stupid).

Neither conclusion is flattering. I wonder how this will affect his NFL prospects?

I have news for all the young folks out there who are Internetizens - If you have a person on line that you interact with, exchange loving messages, develop a deep attachment to, but HAVE NEVER MET PERSONALLY - he/she is NOT your girlfriend/boyfriend.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/24/13 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The newest is that all of those hundreds of hours of phone calls were with a man on the other end. If we don't eventually find out this was all to cover up a gay relationship I will be shocked.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8875990/lawyer-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-was-voice-talking-manti-teo

Quote:
Grimes wouldn't characterize the type of relationship Tuiasosopo wanted with the Heisman Trophy runner-up.

"I wouldn't describe his issues at this time," he said to the Daily News.

How could he get away with it, though? Tuiasosopo, 22, has had dramatic training, plays in a Christian band and even auditioned last year for the television show "The Voice."

"Come on, Hollywood does it all the time," Grimes said of his client pretending to be a woman. "People can do that."

Barrister15

PostPosted: 01/24/13 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Home sick and watching the Couric interview. This guy is full of crap. "I didn't tell anyone we never met in person because no one asked." Really?? People have to ask if you've seen your girlfriend?

And she asks if he's gay and his reply was beyond just a simple no, like someone trying to overcompensate.

I don't think this interview helps him at all.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/24/13 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not buying a bit of what he says.

The voicemails either had the worst quality of any phone service ever or had a voice that was put through a filter to sound female.

PostPosted: 01/24/13 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Not buying a bit of what he says.

The voicemails either had the worst quality of any phone service ever or had a voice that was put through a filter to sound female.

Agree with both.

Also thought his facial expressions and body language said A LOT. His parents are sitting next to him crying, and he shows no emotion, no reaction. He then goes on to talk about how important his family is to him. If they're that important, don't you show any sign of remorse when you see your dad -- this hulking man -- shedding tears over what you have put him through?

I think this kid is pathological.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/24/13 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did not see the interview but there's one thing that makes me wonder: the use of the unwitting woman as a picture surrogate. If this were two willing gay males there would not be a need for the lengths of deception of that MSMK picture unless they were trying to prove something to someone else (which is doesn't sound like they were). I find her completely believable as being angry and hurt about being brought in. And I can even understand how she would never have seen that her picture was used if she is not a sports fan and clicking into various sports stories on the issue. This item makes a lot more sense if it was one (gay or just lonely) male trying to get a close relationship with a famous acquaintance.

So far the story of Te'o being gullible, naive, somewhat self-centered and subsequently embarrassed makes sense to me.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 01/25/13 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
I did not see the interview but there's one thing that makes me wonder: the use of the unwitting woman as a picture surrogate. If this were two willing gay males there would not be a need for the lengths of deception of that MSMK picture unless they were trying to prove something to someone else (which is doesn't sound like they were). ......
So far the story of Te'o being gullible, naive, somewhat self-centered and subsequently embarrassed makes sense to me.

Well, one theory being thrown about is that Teo, who was this year's Heisman runner up and a first round NFL prospect, is in the closet. Being openly gay during an NFL draft is still not a very acceptable thing. Millions on the line. Having a public story about a girlfriend could be a ruse to throw people off the tracks. Having her conveniently die would explain why no one ever saw her or him with her.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/25/13 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
I did not see the interview but there's one thing that makes me wonder: the use of the unwitting woman as a picture surrogate. If this were two willing gay males there would not be a need for the lengths of deception of that MSMK picture unless they were trying to prove something to someone else (which is doesn't sound like they were). ......

Well, one theory being thrown about is that Teo, who was this year's Heisman runner up and a first round NFL prospect, is in the closet. Being openly gay during an NFL draft is still not a very acceptable thing. Millions on the line. Having a public story about a girlfriend could be a ruse to throw people off the tracks. Having her conveniently die would explain why no one ever saw her or him with her.

I agree that something like this could be a motive (although I'm mostly in the camp of not caring much one way or another whether he was a victim of a hoax or was in on it). The funny thing is that I suspect that the perception that he couldn't be thought to be gay and be successful in the NFL is more a fan thing than what the teams would think. The NFL is ruthless about talent, and most NFL teams would see a great player and hope that stories about his sexuality would let him fall to where they're drafting so they can steal him.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 01/26/13 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talent is probably the #1 factor. But personality and team cohesiveness also play a role in draft decisions. One perceived problem child - even a talented one - can wreck a team.

Not specifically talking about Teo' - just responding to your statement

norwester

PostPosted: 01/28/13 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Tony, and will say that while it should be that way, Bek, I don't think it is. I'm sure it depends on the team. But there have been pretty violently homophobic public statements made in the past couple of years by players in both the NBA and the NFL. The commissioners/management hurry and cover that up and make apologies be issued, or whatever, but the apology always seems like a cover up to the audience.

Talent should win out. But there's also a lot of competition within the ranks for playing time and jobs. It's not all about team success on every team.

I watched "Playmakers" until they canceled it! Wink

PostPosted: 01/28/13 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
I agree with Tony, and will say that while it should be that way, Bek, I don't think it is. I'm sure it depends on the team. But there have been pretty violently homophobic public statements made in the past couple of years by players in both the NBA and the NFL. The commissioners/management hurry and cover that up and make apologies be issued, or whatever, but the apology always seems like a cover up to the audience.

Talent should win out. But there's also a lot of competition within the ranks for playing time and jobs. It's not all about team success on every team.

I watched "Playmakers" until they canceled it! Wink

There have been an equal amount of positive statements coming from various football players (the "It Gets Better" campaign, the statements from the Vikings punter). I agree though that anything that has a perceived impact on locker room cohesion will be taken into account.

There was actually a video that came out of Manti meeting his supporters and hugging Tuiasosopo. Manti gave a quick friend hug and started to pull away and Tuiasosopo held it for longer. The body language of each sure suggested that one saw the relationship very differently than the other.

norwester

PostPosted: 02/01/13 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

San Francisco 49ers' Ahmad Brooks, Isaac Sopoaga Deny Participating In 'It Gets Better' Gay Youth Video

Quote:
Meanwhile, the firestorm over Culliver's statements (he told Artie Lange that he "don't do the gay guys, man" and that an openly gay player would not be welcome on his football team) continues to rage, even though team officials have released a statement saying they "proudly support the LGBT community."

Just another such incident that shouldn't take precedence over the other positive incidents (like the one Vikings kicker) that have been pointed out. However, I'm confused that they didn't know "It Gets Better" was prompted due to anti-gay bullying, though the anti-bullying message is a good one for all such incidences. Confused
Quote:
As The New Civil Rights Movement points out, this could be the very first time an "It Gets Better" video has been removed from Savage's campaign website under such circumstances.

PostPosted: 02/01/13 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tuiasosopo did the Lennay voice on Dr Phil:

http://deadspin.com/5980822/heres-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-attempting-to-perform-what-he-claims-is-lennays-voice-on-dr-phil

PostPosted: 02/01/13 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let us not assassinate this lad further. We've done enough. Have we no sense of decency, at long last? Have we left no sense of decency?

Very Happy

I'm not suggesting that this sentiment carry the day, or that it's even that applicable to the situation. It just seems funny in this context and ironic because this kid wanted his "public healing". I guess he's getting it thanks to good old Dr. Phil. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 02/01/13 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just waiting to see how Teo does in the draft. After being a non-factor in the BCS Bowl game (actually missing arm tackles and getting run over) and now this, he'd better have an outstanding showing at the Combine or his stock will plummet, IMO

jammer - took me awhile, but I get it now (haha)

sambista

PostPosted: 02/01/13 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the media obsession over this story boggles the mind. i mean, really. we're in a period of our (questionable) evolution where we have an insatiable desire to prove to ourselves that other people's lives are SO much more f*cked up than our own. the media isn't alone in this because an outcry of "enough!" would've nipped this story in the bud; they still have to answer to ratings/advertisers.

i've had enough of it just trying not to pay attention. i just heard the dr. phil interview and the verified voice mails, and i can only conclude at this stage that this was a perfect storm of opportunism and delusion on the part of everyone involved. beyond that, i have no freakin idea. and really don't care.

PostPosted: 02/01/13 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
the media obsession over this story boggles the mind. i mean, really. we're in a period of our (questionable) evolution where we have an insatiable desire to prove to ourselves that other people's lives are SO much more f*cked up than our own. the media isn't alone in this because an outcry of "enough!" would've nipped this story in the bud; they still have to answer to ratings/advertisers.

i've had enough of it just trying not to pay attention. i just heard the dr. phil interview and the verified voice mails, and i can only conclude at this stage that this was a perfect storm of opportunism and delusion on the part of everyone involved. beyond that, i have no freakin idea. and really don't care.

It's very disheartening and hopeless that, after this kid was on record saying he wanted a 'public healing' Rolling Eyes meaning, he wants his measure of the spotlight for perpetrating this, and with so many who even, like me, were fascinated at first but now feel like you feel... that anyone out there would elevate this sad troubled scoundrel to the exact place he wants to be, bathed in notoriety and intoxicating fame, instead of quietly getting help somewhere, rewarded for pulling off this scam. Dr. Phil is disgusting. I would have hoped that GMA and Today etc. would have the compass to pass on allowing this guy access to the national airwaves. But I don't know if they did or will. WE have, at long last, no sense of decency left.

PostPosted: 08/16/22 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Netflix has a new documentary about this story and it's way more weird than anyone knew

PostPosted: 08/18/22 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Netflix has a new documentary about this story and it's way more weird than anyone knew

Yes, it is!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2022/08/18/netflix-manti-teo-catfish-documentary-untold-girlfriend-who-didnt-exist/10356083002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: