RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gender Check
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowboxer

PostPosted: 04/06/10 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is still so much we don't comprehend and it will take yrs of scientific/socialogical studies to enhance our knowledge. IMHO, we are in the infancy of comprehension of so much, including hormones, genetics, nature vs nuture issues. Some people need to have black and white answers, and make laws based on them. Most of the world is "gray".

Wish we could just accept people as they are, stop trying to "label" someone or thing so we don't have to think about the myriad of variables, some pre-set, most constantly in flux, producing new and "different" concepts daily. We will never arrive at "the ultimate answer" of most issues, and I wish we remained open to new knowledge, alter our opinions and actions, as needed. Then change again, as new knowledge is always forthcoming.

As we know, stereo-typing is a short cut to critical thinking. The media seizes on old, set perceptions and love to superficially pose the new and unknown approach to initiate controversy and increase their ratings. Those people who think more concretely, glom(sp?) on to one side or the other, and close their minds to contradicting info.

Like The Times(and others) have stated, sports are currently rigidly divided, between sports for the male athlete, and sports that are for females, and when either side attempts to cross over, there is a derisive fan response, which the media measures in ratings. Culturally, this divide goes so deep, the "other" sex athlete trying to cross over, or interpret a sport for themselve or group, tend to get derided and re-labled as an anomoly.

Change is scary, esp. in today's environment, and with so many things out of an individual's control, many seem to long for the predictable. The media attempts to feed that hunger for profit.
Lack of change also oftens lead to inertia and stagnation.

Hope we get to a point of welcoming and accomodating all people, without feeling our whole world view is being challenged, instead of just expanded.

Hope it goes w/o saying this is IMHO, which will always be subject to change. Wink

gopher5

PostPosted: 04/06/10 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://nicolemlavoi.com/2010/04/05/observations-from-the-2010-womens-final-four/

Quote:
The girls asked Griner how she dealt with all the media attention and being accused of looking like, sounding like, and playing like a boy. Griner told them something to the affect of… “I can’t control what other people say. I just focus on myself and my basketball”.

Cui7

PostPosted: 04/06/10 5:21 pm    ::: Re: Gender Check Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:
I rarely have free time these days, and when I do, I like to unwind by reading various blogs and websites about women's basketball. Ever since Baylor made it into the Final Four, the sites I've seen have been ablaze with cruel commentary about Brittany Griner's gender status, and if she's actually a biological man. It makes me sick, it pisses me off, and it fills me with dismay about supposed women's basketball fans. Why are there so many mental midgets in the world? And why to they feel so entitled to publicly air their stupidity and vileness? That's all. I just can't hold it in anymore.

I agree with you on this point: there is cruel commentary about Brittney Griner's gender. I have read some people inquire intelligently about Griner's sex though and those people are not mental midgets. I do not think it fair that just because people who inquire politely/intelligently(I have read quite a few who have) about her sex are called out of their names. I am a really young woman who is not White and even I think Griner is an intersex like Caster. Is there anything inherently wrong with being an intersex --um, no. Should an intersex be allowed to play basketball with actual females -- um, no.

YankeeVol

PostPosted: 04/06/10 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
Okay, I never read about a continuum, but it is something that I had come to think, this is in regards to sexual orientation. There are also believed to be asexual people who would have not place on a continuum.

Yes, there do exist asexual individuals, who probably believe the rest of us are totally bonkers. Wink

And then there are sexy assexuals, who drive the rest of us bonkers.

YankeeVol

PostPosted: 04/06/10 6:08 pm    ::: Re: Gender Check Reply Reply with quote

Cui7 wrote:
YankeeVol wrote:
I rarely have free time these days, and when I do, I like to unwind by reading various blogs and websites about women's basketball. Ever since Baylor made it into the Final Four, the sites I've seen have been ablaze with cruel commentary about Brittany Griner's gender status, and if she's actually a biological man. It makes me sick, it pisses me off, and it fills me with dismay about supposed women's basketball fans. Why are there so many mental midgets in the world? And why to they feel so entitled to publicly air their stupidity and vileness? That's all. I just can't hold it in anymore.

I agree with you on this point: there is cruel commentary about Brittney Griner's gender. I have read some people inquire intelligently about Griner's sex though and those people are not mental midgets. I do not think it fair that just because people who inquire politely/intelligently(I have read quite a few who have) about her sex are called out of their names. I am a really young woman who is not White and even I think Griner is an intersex like Caster. Is there anything inherently wrong with being an intersex --um, no. Should an intersex be allowed
to play basketball with actual females -- um, no.

you would probably like the book Middlesex (I can't remember the author). It does a good job of illustrating that sex assignment is between your legs and gender identity is between your ears.

jap

PostPosted: 04/06/10 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:
jap wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
Okay, I never read about a continuum, but it is something that I had come to think, this is in regards to sexual orientation. There are also believed to be asexual people who would have not place on a continuum.

Yes, there do exist asexual individuals, who probably believe the rest of us are totally bonkers. Wink

And then there are sexy assexuals, who drive the rest of us bonkers.

I suppose where sex is concerned people ought to be driven crazy one way or the other. Does the phrase vive la difference even apply anymore? Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/06/10 6:32 pm    ::: Re: Gender Check Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:
Middlesex (I can't remember the author). It does a good job of illustrating that sex assignment is between your legs and gender identity is between your ears.

that author would be jeffrey eugenides.

frogdog

PostPosted: 04/07/10 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wondered if anyone else noticed that. Her adams apples is clear to see.
Maybe the day will come when amature sports for women in the USA will need to be subject to the same testing as in international track. Test the X's and the t Y's
i just think she is an outstanding player

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/07/10 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This young woman has quite enough to cope with in life as a student-athlete without fan boards and fashion writers speculating about her sex, gender, and sexuality. Leave Brittney Griner alone! Exclamation

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 04/07/10 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
This young woman has quite enough to cope with in life as a student-athlete without fan boards and fashion writers speculating about her sex, gender, and sexuality. Leave Brittney Griner alone! Exclamation

_______________________XXYY

five_to_the_third

PostPosted: 04/07/10 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

Thirded. But I don't want Cui7's comment to go ignored.

Questioning something so personal, about someone you don't know at all, in a public forum, is rude, regardless of how "polite" or "intelligent" you think you're being in the way you raise it.

Referring to anyone as "an intersex" is also extremely rude.

And I hope the leadership of this board, which has been so sensitive on other issues, will not permit either of those offensive behaviors here.

Linzin

PostPosted: 04/07/10 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

five_to_the_third wrote:
shadowboxer wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

Thirded. But I don't want Cui7's comment to go ignored.

Questioning something so personal, about someone you don't know at all, in a public forum, is rude, regardless of how "polite" or "intelligent" you think you're being in the way you raise it.

Referring to anyone as "an intersex" is also extremely rude.

And I hope the leadership of this board, which has been so sensitive on other issues, will not permit either of those offensive behaviors here.

I don't know how else we're supposed to call it. It's a term that describes a physical trait, like blind or deaf. It's a fact of life, albeit not exactly one that most of us are comfortable with, and while I'm all for PC, I don't see how there's any difference between saying intersex and... well, any other term for it, although I don't see any other alternative. It's not like you can say "sexually challenged." Wink Of course, if there is some other alternative that I am not aware of, feel free to enlighten me. (And in case that sounds sarcastic, it's not.)

Also, as far as Caster Semenya, I felt (and still feel) that she was grossly wronged. The question of whether or not she can be allowed on the field, however, is entangled in a far larger problem than one individual, and as long as sports are divided into men's/women's sports, this will be a problem that isn't going to go away. Whether we use it as a starting point to reorganize sports or whether we use it as a way to maintain the status quo of sports, the question simply has to be raised. Is it rude on a personal level? Of course it is. But can it be avoided? I don't think so.

*shrugs* My two cents.

PostPosted: 04/07/10 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You say that an individual is intersexed or blind or gay. Not that he or she is "an intersex" or "a blind" or "a gay." The latter is to equate the person with the characteristic, as if that is all there is to them.

Linzin

PostPosted: 04/07/10 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
You say that an individual is intersexed or blind or gay. Not that he or she is "an intersex" or "a blind" or "a gay." The latter is to equate the person with the characteristic, as if that is all there is to them.

Ah, thanks. I didn't catch that difference. At the same time, I dunno, that seems to be going a bit far. Is there really such a huge difference between I'm American/an American? "A lesbian" sounds fine. To my ears, "He's gay" and "He's a gay" don't sound too different. The latter sounds awkard because it's not used often, but. I dunno, I don't live in an English-speaking country, so it could be just a difference in culture. I will think this one over. Thanks again.

PostPosted: 04/07/10 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linzin wrote:
newkid wrote:

Ah, thanks. I didn't catch that difference. At the same time, I dunno, that seems to be going a bit far. Is there really such a huge difference between "I'm American" and "I'm an American"? Obviously, there is a difference between "American" and "gay" but... seems sort of sketchy to me. Nonetheless, I will think this one over. Thanks again.

"American" is both a noun and an adjective. "Gay" and "blind" and "intersex" are only adjectives.

PostPosted: 04/07/10 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Linzin wrote:
newkid wrote:

Ah, thanks. I didn't catch that difference. At the same time, I dunno, that seems to be going a bit far. Is there really such a huge difference between "I'm American" and "I'm an American"? Obviously, there is a difference between "American" and "gay" but... seems sort of sketchy to me. Nonetheless, I will think this one over. Thanks again.

"American" is both a noun and an adjective. "Gay" and "blind" and "intersex" are only adjectives.

Dammit, you caught me before my stealth edit. Laughing

Actually, I concede the point on blind, but "gay" is both, and "intersex" is, I believe, primarily a noun, with "intersexual" being the adjective. (Yes, I did look at a couple dictionaries to check, but obviously dictionaries are not the final authority in terms of actual usage.) It's not some sort of grammatical thing. If there's any problem, it's cultural.

I see where it comes from, though. It's not something I've ever thought of before, so I will think it over, as I said before.

PostPosted: 04/08/10 3:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification that you are in a non-English-speaking country, Linzin. That matters because these are somewhat subtle distinctions in usage and they may vary from one English-speaking country to another.

Anywho, I can say for certain that in America, among the gay community and its allies, "a gay" is most definitely not acceptable usage. Some gay folks would be outright offended and the rest would be, at a minimum, rolling their eyes. But you raise a great point with the word lesbian. It is used as both a noun and an adjective by gay people and their allies. (In that sentence, a non-gay person might say "gays and their allies," and that's less offensive to my ears than "a gay," but I don't know many gay people who would employ that usage.)

Intersexed is not my community, so I cannot speak with certainty as to preferred language conventions for that community, but in my reading the only usage I've consistently seen is "intersexed" as an adjective. I don't recall seeing "intersex" at all as a noun or adjective. I don't think "intersexual" as an adjective is common usage among intersexed people. Though you do see the noun "intersexuality."

Personally, I'm just a big believer that members of a particular community should get to say what they prefer to be called, and those outside the particular community should take their cues from those within, even if the preferred language conventions seem inconsistent or arbitrary. To ignore the preferences of the particular community is to risk sounding, at best, uninformed, or worse, insensitve or downright offensive.

I concede that knowing the preferences of a particular community can be challenging! Some in the "visually impaired" community do not like the word "blind" because it is not as broad an umbrella term and because they think it has a stigma. Others have reclaimed the word "blind," use it proudly, and roll their eyes at the term "visually impaired" which they see as sort of unnecessarily sanitized, as if there were something wrong with being blind.

To some of us, understanding and mastering these usage conventions is interesting and important to clear communication. I know that some others find it tedious and frustrating and a hindrance to communication.

</middle-of-the-night, can't-sleep mini-dissertation>

ScottS

PostPosted: 04/08/10 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Leave Brittney alone! Exclamation

I think this is a u tube video on this.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/08/10 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While we're on a semantic roll, the term "gays" - which obviously is a noun - is used quite commonly both inside and outside the community. That said, "a gay" would sound very strange to me.

YankeeVol

PostPosted: 04/08/10 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
While we're on a semantic roll, the term "gays" - which obviously is a noun - is used quite commonly both inside and outside the community. That said, "a gay" would sound very strange to me.

Unless it was something like, "I'm a-goin to a gay club tonight." I believe that is grammatically correct, no?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/10 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Unless it was something like, "I'm a-goin to a gay club tonight." I believe that is grammatically correct, no?

That's back to an adjective, describing the type of club.

PostPosted: 04/08/10 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
YankeeVol wrote:
beknighted wrote:

That's back to an adjective, describing the type of club.

Exactly.

To be clear, I meant a usage like: "He is a gay."

Cui7

PostPosted: 04/08/10 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Intersex is a noun and an adjective. It fits in a noun frame: Brittney Griner is not a man, Brittney Griner is not a woman, or Brittney Griner is an intersex.

newkid

PostPosted: 04/08/10 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cui7 wrote:
Intersex is a noun and an adjective. It fits in a noun frame: Brittney Griner is not a man, Brittney Griner is not a woman, or Brittney Griner is an intersex.

Well, first, I would echo those who say "leave individual public figures out of it." It is disrespectful and invasive to speculate and discuss a person this way when he or she has not opened the discussion in any way, and none of us have any actual knowledge on which to base such statements.

Second, Cui7, your statement is simply inaccurate. The Intersex Society of North America, for example, www.isna.org uses the word intersex as both a noun and an adjective describing or designating a medical condition. But they invariably refer to human beings as "persons with intersex." I can find reputable discussions elsewhere on the web that use intersex as an adjective describing a person (e.g., "an intersex child"). Nowhere can I find a reputable discussion that refers to a person as "an intersex." This is not acceptable usage, and you should understand that if you choose to use the word this way you will come accross to others as ill-informed, insensitive, and even antagonistic.

This has been helpful to me, though, to discover that the usage I am most familiar with, "intersexed," has been mostly replaced by "intersex."

newkid

PostPosted: 04/08/10 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ScottS wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
Leave Brittney alone! Exclamation

I think this is a u tube video on this.

Funny, Scott. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: