RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

McDonalds=Cal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colt13

PostPosted: 04/01/10 7:01 pm    ::: McDonalds=Cal? Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious what calbearman will say about this, and what he thinks about the immediate future of the program. I did not get a chance to watch the game yesterday, but Cal had 2 players in it, and 4 last year. That's even 2 more than UCONN had! Actually more than anybody had. Only ones with 3 or more in that span(UCONN, Duke, Maryland) all have coaches that have been to a title game. So what is she doing right?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/01/10 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the future of Cal basketball is quite bright. This year was a bit of a disappointment, but Cal was starting 4 freshmen most of the year. Additionally the front court was hurt by having Rama N'diyae out for the season and their best freshman center, Brenna Heater was also sidelined. The heart problems for Tierra Rogers, one of those McDonald's All Americans, also hurt the young team. I believe the team was good enough to make the NCAA but the schedule hurt them as did their inability to close out Arizona State at home. Getting to the semis of the NIT (so far) puts this team nearly on a par with the team from 2006 that made the NCAA as one of the last in with a freshman class that included Ashley Walker, Devanei Hampton, Alexis Gray Lawson and Jene Morris (who transferred to San Diego State after 1 year).

I have no complaints about Joanne Boyle's coaching. Over the next three years Cal should be in the NCAA three times. She hasn't been able to make a final four, but that is true of more than 90% of the coaches. She put Cal on the map, even if it was the recruiting class put together by former coach Karen Horstmeyer. The recruiting has put Cal as a top 20 school now, but Cal has yet to get a number 1 talent. That still puts Cal behind Stanford in the Pac 10, but this is much better than the status before she got there, which was just ahead of Washington State.

I expect that Cal will be top 25 all next season and has a good chance to make the Sweet Sixteen. Denesha Stallworth and Gennifer Brandon look like potential All Americans by their senior year. Layshia Clarendon still hasn't reached her 19th birthday and if she can develop into a scoring guard the future will be even brighter.

five_to_the_third

PostPosted: 04/01/10 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Make that finals of the WNIT.

meliflaw

PostPosted: 04/01/10 9:18 pm    ::: Ah, my weekend is made! Reply Reply with quote

five_to_the_third wrote:
Make that finals of the WNIT.

Very glad that AGL will have another last game at Haas Pavilion: 11 am, PDT, this Saturday. Should be some sort of live streaming available at http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-baskbl/cal-w-baskbl-body.html

PostPosted: 04/02/10 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game will be televised on CBS College Sports.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/02/10 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Academic reputation helps some too I would think... Cal is listed as the #1 public institution in the land so that can't hurt. Hopefully, given budget cuts in the state of California and higher ed, Cal can continue to hold the #1 spot....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: