RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP All American Teams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/30/10 12:39 pm    ::: AP All American Teams Reply Reply with quote

1st Team:
Charles
Moore
Griffin
Wright
Lavender

2nd Team:
Griner
Appel
Ogwumike
Riley
Clark

3rd Team:
D.Robinson
J.Thomas
Dunlap
Harris
Delle Donne

http://www.bigeast.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92557&SPID=11229&DB_OEM_ID=19400&ATCLID=204918929

ASWAD AMANDLA

PostPosted: 03/30/10 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what the AP people are saying is that at the major-D-1 level, no one in the Pac-10, Big-XII, Big Ten, Big East, ACC, nor SEC did any thing of real note--outside of these 12, and mid-major girls Clark (MTSU), Harris (Xavier), and Delle Donne (Delaware).

PostPosted: 03/30/10 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I realize Griner is relatively green, but I'd feel better about having her on the first team ahead of Lavender, but that's just me.

What team did Maya Moore make as a freshman?

Quote:
The preseason All-America team was Moore, Charles, Appel, Lavender and Wright.

Appel dropped down and Griffin took her place. Just like the WNBA draft? Very Happy

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/10 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I realize Griner is relatively green, but I'd feel better about having her on the first team ahead of Lavender, but that's just me.

What team did Maya Moore make as a freshman?

Quote:

Appel dropped down and Griffin took her place. Just like the WNBA draft? Very Happy

Maya has been a first team All-American every year she's been at UCONN.

coffy73

PostPosted: 03/30/10 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:

I think it will be like that in the W draft. idk, I've just never been a big fan of Appel so I never thought of her as a top draft pick to begin with and after this season she's dropped a bit more in my opinion (I know she's coming back from an injury, but still).

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/30/10 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ASWAD AMANDLA wrote:
So what the AP people are saying is that at the major-D-1 level, no one in the Pac-10, Big-XII, Big Ten, Big East, ACC, nor SEC did any thing of real note--outside of these 12, and mid-major girls Clark (MTSU), Harris (Xavier), and Delle Donne (Delaware).

Good observation, AA. I'd explain it like this:

1. The Pac-10 hasn't had a viable All-American candidate who DIDN'T play for Stanford for at least five years. No, I don't include those UCLA girls from the Olivier days. However, Caldwell could have one or two kids on there in a couple of years.

2. The Big 12 had four, the most of the major conferences. That's about right. They were the strongest conference all year, so it'd follow that they'd have a good amount of top-notch talent. They have the top candidates for National Freshman of the Year and Lieberman Award.

3. The Big Ten was all Ohio $tate during the regular season, and Ohio $tate was mostly Lavender with a side of Prabawlis. The conference was so weak nationally that it simply could not justify having multiple AAs.

4. With Prince out of the picture, the Big East was all Charles, Moore, and freshmen, and those freshmen weren't named Griner or Delle Donne, so...

5. The ACC didn't really have many attractive candidates outside of Wright. Thomas probably wouldn't have made it if Duke wasn't ranked comfortably in the Top 10. UNC is down, Maryland is even worse, and nobody outside of Tallahassee gives a damn about the slightly-above-average talent at F$U.

6. Tennessee and LSU didn't have the usual high-end individual performers they usually do, so only the conference POY got recognition. She happens to play for Kentucky--the only SEC school left standing.

So this is a good year for the mid-major kids to get their recognition, and a case could've been made for others (Vandersloot and Evans, for example) to be on the list somewhere as well.

Mathies to LA 2013
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/30/10 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I'd disagree with any characterization that says "nobody outside the named players did anything this year." They name 15 players every year, and there always are people who were left out and who might have been given spots.

For reference, last year the team was:

1st team

Courtney Paris
Maya Moore
Angel McCoughtry
Kristi Toliver
Renee Montgomery

2nd team

DeWanna Bonner
Jayne Appel
Marissa Coleman
Jantel Lavender
Tina Charles

3rd team included
Ashley Walker
Shavonte Zellous
Epiphanny Prince
Chante Black
Alysha Clark

Last year you could have said that the Big East was dominant (6 players out of 15), with the ACC (3 players) doing well and the Big Ten, SEC and Big XII trailing. Like any year, there's a shift, largely because of graduation. I'm not sure that you can draw too many conclusions from the shift from 14 to 12 major conference players on the list, to be honest, especially since 2 of them are on the 3rd team.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/30/10 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Last year you could have said that the Big East was dominant (6 players out of 15), with the ACC (3 players) doing well and the Big Ten, SEC and Big XII trailing. Like any year, there's a shift, largely because of graduation. I'm not sure that you can draw too many conclusions from the shift from 14 to 12 major conference players on the list, to be honest, especially since 2 of them are on the 3rd team.

Sure you can, especially when some of the players who didn't make the team last year (the immediate snubs) were mostly major conference players while the players who were left off this year (the immediate snubs) were mostly mid-major kids.

Mathies to LA 2013
justynkarr

PostPosted: 03/31/10 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So lets look at the Final Four:

Uconn- 2 1st team selections
Stanford- 2 2nd team selections
Baylor- 1 2nd team selection
Oklahoma- 1 3rd team selection....

It takes a lot to get to the Final Four. Obviously the other three teams belonging to the 1st team selections didn't do it. But I really think what makes a player great is how successful his/her team is and how far they can lead them. Because of this I do not understand how D-Rob is only a 3rd team selection.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/31/10 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justynkarr wrote:
So lets look at the Final Four:

Uconn- 2 1st team selections
Stanford- 2 2nd team selections
Baylor- 1 2nd team selection
Oklahoma- 1 3rd team selection....

It takes a lot to get to the Final Four. Obviously the other three teams belonging to the 1st team selections didn't do it. But I really think what makes a player great is how successful his/her team is and how far they can lead them. Because of this I do not understand how D-Rob is only a 3rd team selection.

Should be 3 for Stanford, not to have Pedersen on the list is criminal, as is Nneka not on first team. Idiot voters.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/31/10 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:

Should be 3 for Stanford, not to have Pedersen on the list is criminal, as is Nneka not on first team. Idiot voters.

I had them! I had them! 'Course I don't vote...but I did here!

www.off-court.com

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/31/10 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Danielle Robinson 3rd team? What kool aid were these voters drinking?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/31/10 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Danielle Robinson 3rd team? What kool aid were these voters drinking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: