RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Does The Rule Need Changed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/30/10 10:41 am    ::: Does The Rule Need Changed? Reply Reply with quote

One of the men's games that I watched this past week (there were so many games I can't remember which one) the offensive team was having trouble getting the ball past mid-court in the ten seconds and called a timeout.

One of the announcers said that he thought that the rules needed to be changed so that when they came back from the time out that they would only have the remaining time to get the ball past mid-court. Ex. if the team had used 7 of the 10, they would then have 3 when they get back from the TO. He said that he didn't think that it was fair to the defensive team to have worked that hard only for the offensive team to be given 10 more seconds to get the ball across mid-court.

Then in another game I was watching, a team called TO because they were having trouble getting the ball in bounds.

I guess my questions are:

1) Should the rule be changed to one where if you do call a TO to prevent a backcourt violation you only get the remaining time?

2) Should the rules be changed for both the backcourt and inbounding?

3) Should the offensive team not be granted the TO to prevent the violation (similar to the going out of bounds rule)?

4) Or is the loss of a TO enough "punishment."

I should add that I realize that this isn't 100% applicable to women's NCAA bball right now, but I'll be surprised if they don't get a back-court rule in the next couple of years.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 03/30/10 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 03/30/10 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see the need to change the rule...

The whole idea of starting the shot clock when the player gets the ball out of bounds is goofy, since it potentially penalizes the offensive team twice.

PostPosted: 03/30/10 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
I don't see the need to change the rule...

The whole idea of starting the shot clock when the player gets the ball out of bounds is goofy, since it potentially penalizes the offensive team twice.

I'm confused.

What does the shot clock have to do with anything?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/30/10 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta admit, as someone who sees very little college ball (of either sex), the clock rules took some working out for the tournament games that I've tuned in for the last couple of weeks.

Don't understand the rationale behind the men having 35 seconds and the women only 30 on the shot clock. Was shocked to see how freaking long some teams took to dribble the ball up the court (and actually went and checked the rule, only to find that no 8/10 second rule exists in the women's NCAAs). And on the rule Ex-Ref mentions in this thread - the men's NCAA game is the first organisation I've heard of that allows a team to reset the 8/10 second-count with a timeout. The count just continues from where you left off in the pros, which to me is the fairer way to do it. Calling a timeout to reset it is allowing the offense a bailout when the defense is doing its job, so I prefer the pros version of the rule.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/30/10 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The count just continues from where you left off in the pros, which to me is the fairer way to do it. Calling a timeout to reset it is allowing the offense a bailout when the defense is doing its job, so I prefer the pros version of the rule.

Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: 03/30/10 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The TO thing (Ex-Ref) seems a tad confusing, but I do see the motivation behind possibly having it implemented. Personally I think it just makes it all more confusing, and I agree with your last statement... Basically that losing the TO is "punishment" enough (and sometimes there aren't any time-outs to burn). If anything, if your team is having trouble getting the ball past half-court, you really need to work on breaking the press. All it takes is passing. But I'm not a coach so I'll leave it at that..

As for the women's rule.. I'm tempted to support them changing it. Just so I won't have to hear announcers talk or bitch about it every time I turn on a women's game Rolling Eyes

Announcer 1: "Remember folks, no backcourt violations in Women's College Basketball!"
Announcer 2: "Yeah, they need to change that rule. It penalizes the defense...."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: