RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke-Baylor
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/29/10 6:46 pm    ::: Duke-Baylor Reply Reply with quote

Both teams are terrible offensively. This sure won't get it done against UConn.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/29/10 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see any sign that Kim Mulkey followed the advice of that NBA coach Doris Burke says she consulted: "Surround her (Griner) with shooters."

PostPosted: 03/29/10 6:56 pm    ::: Re: Duke-Baylor Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Both teams are terrible offensively. This sure won't get it done against UConn.

It sure won't. Griner's teammates are standing around waiting for her to score all the points! They're awful and I picked them to easily defeat Duke!

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/10 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
I don't see any sign that Kim Mulkey followed the advice of that NBA coach Doris Burke says she consulted: "Surround her (Griner) with shooters."

It's not as easy as all that. She can't wave a magic wand and make them appear.

In any event, Griner was better in the second half against both Georgetown and Tennessee. We'll see if she picks it up here.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand why folks are picking Baylor so presumptuously. Based on regular season play, Duke is the better team.

I'm getting the vibe ESPN really wants Baylor to get to San Antonio in lieu of the failed Tennessee/UConn ratings bonanza.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay - I've seen Baylor play enough to know CKM is very passionate but never understood the Sulky Mulky moniker.

Now I do - maybe I'm paying more attention having no vested interest...at one point she looked a bit like a 4 year old pouting at the ref with arms crossed Laughing

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
I don't understand why folks are picking Baylor so presumptuously. Based on regular season play, Duke is the better team.

So was Tennessee. You could even argue that Georgetown was better based on the regular season.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

I'm getting the vibe ESPN really wants Baylor to get to San Antonio in lieu of the failed Tennessee/UConn ratings bonanza.

If Baylor gets to the Final4 they will get beat just as bad as every other team. UCONN has proven that they can win big without going inside, Griner will not be a big factor and Baylor won't be able to score against UCONN's defense.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the first time I have seen Duke play, I like Krystal Thomas, she made a strong post move inside, and has a nice block and the emotion she shows after the block. What kind of player is she usually when she's in the game? Or is that usually what she does, play strong inside offensively and defensively?

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoosierHusky wrote:
PRballer wrote:

If Baylor gets to the Final4 they will get beat just as bad as every other team. UCONN has proven that they can win big without going inside, Griner will not be a big factor and Baylor won't be able to score against UCONN's defense.

That's true but Brittney Griner could do something not many have players have, which is play in 4 Final Fours and possibly win multiple National Championships, that will be a major story 2-3 years from now if Baylor makes it this year and continues to make it.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
HoosierHusky wrote:
PRballer wrote:

That's true but Brittney Griner could do something not many have players have, which is play in 4 Final Fours and possibly win multiple National Championships, that will be a major story 2-3 years from now if Baylor makes it this year and continues to make it.

This time three years from now all the talking heads will be asking if Griner is good for WCBB.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PRballer wrote:

So was Tennessee. You could even argue that Georgetown was better based on the regular season.

Tennessee game was a fluke. Griner had a big time game and Tennessee's guards were not getting the ball to drop.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoosierHusky wrote:
Griner will not be a big factor

When isn't she a big factor? I bet UConn would score less than their tournament average.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think it's worth it to stop the game for this long to check six different camera angles to confirm a 3-point call.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now Doris is drawing comparisons between Griner and great centers in the NBA. It's justified, but I still want to roll my eyes.

HoosierHusky

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
HoosierHusky wrote:

When isn't she a big factor? I bet UConn would score less than their tournament average.

That should happen anyway. As they go deeper into the tourney and the competition gets better their scoring average should go down.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoosierHusky wrote:
UCONN has proven that they can win big without going inside.

They have? When was that? It seems that a big part of their success has come from having the NPOY down on the block.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
HoosierHusky wrote:

So far every game UCONN has played they scored less than the previous game, so is that really a valid argument on whether she is a big factor or not.

vs. Southern 95 pts
vs. Temple 90 pts
vs. Iowa State 74 pts.

HoosierHusky

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
HoosierHusky wrote:
UCONN has proven that they can win big without going inside.

They have? When was that? It seems that a big part of their success has come from having the NPOY down on the block.

It doesn't happen often but there have been a few games where Charles didn't play that great and they still won big.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
HoosierHusky wrote:
PRballer wrote:

This time three years from now all the talking heads will be asking if Griner is good for WCBB.

You follow Lobo or does she follow you Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner has turned into Shaq on the free throw line.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
pilight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
HoosierHusky wrote:
PRballer wrote:

You follow Lobo or does she follow you Very Happy

I follow her. Wink

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that last ft looked like shaq but she doesn't do that normally

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I admire the athletic ability on both teams, but if either one of them had a catch-and-shoot 3-point shooter they could bring off the bench, I think they'd be 10 points up. This has been a really awful display of outside shooting by both teams.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game has been pretty dreadful to watch. It could be a close finish, but it has not been a thing of beauty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: