RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Thank you KARA!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stats47

PostPosted: 03/28/10 3:58 pm    ::: Re: Thank you KARA! Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I think the bottom line is if you want exciting, close basketball games you essentially hate the Huskies, but if you like high-quality basketball, then there is no one better.

You mean there are people who don't want exciting, close basketball games? I'm confused.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

actually I think some of the casual fans flipping channels might just stop to watch the Huskies more than they'd stop for FSU/MSU. everybody's heard about them, so some might tune in to see if they are as good as the hype. Answer: yes, they are.

but as non-casual fan, I enjoy watching the Huskies -- for awhile. They are so good, playing at a different level than most of the other teams out there, you got to admire how they play the game. but, I find that after watching a half or so, I get bored. and sometimes I also get distracted feeling bad for the poor team they are killing, so I might turn the game off. great basketball, but predictable and not as exciting as a (less-well-played) game like FSU vs MSU...which has me riveted to the tv right down to the final buzzer.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/28/10 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
actually I think some of the casual fans flipping channels might just stop to watch the Huskies more than they'd stop for FSU/MSU. everybody's heard about them, so some might tune in to see if they are as good as the hype. Answer: yes, they are.

but as non-casual fan, I enjoy watching the Huskies -- for awhile. They are so good, playing at a different level than most of the other teams out there, you got to admire how they play the game. but, I find that after watching a half or so, I get bored. and sometimes I also get distracted feeling bad for the poor team they are killing, so I might turn the game off. great basketball, but predictable and not as exciting as a (less-well-played) game like FSU vs MSU...which has me riveted to the tv right down to the final buzzer.

Yes, they'd stop to watch the Huskies because they had heard about them, and then they'd see Connecticut beating a 4 seed by 40+ points and say to themselves, "Jeez, UConn looks good, but it's only because everyone else in women's basketball sucks."

As a non-casual fan, I get really, really bored watching Connecticut, and I feel so sad for the team that's getting completely and utterly routed.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's kind of mind-blowing to watch UConn kick the shit out of a top-25, or top-15, or top anything team. I find myself enjoying watching UConn's execution, watching the passing angles, watching how they look for each other, watching how they work on defense, listening to some of the communication, things like that. Sometimes it's like an epiphany moment- "oh, that's what that play is supposed to look like".

Somehow, UConn's more pleasant to watch without the scarlet haze blurring my vision.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The talent, length, athleticism, assertiveness, IQ, desire to attack the boards, mantra to share the ball, and team defensive principles of their first five makes them most interesting to watch...

At least 80% of their points come from easy baskets.

The entire roster plays outstandingly without the ball--and the entire roster are outstanding passers.

Righ now, Tina Charles is the best player in the country, and Maya Moore is not as close to her as one might think.

If Kaili McLaren could run, Connecticut would beat everyone by 60--WITH Geno's foot off the gas pedal...

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
It's kind of mind-blowing to watch UConn kick the shit out of a top-25, or top-15, or top anything team. I find myself enjoying watching UConn's execution, watching the passing angles, watching how they look for each other, watching how they work on defense, listening to some of the communication, things like that. Sometimes it's like an epiphany moment- "oh, that's what that play is supposed to look like".

Somehow, UConn's more pleasant to watch without the scarlet haze blurring my vision.

I think that's Kara's point. Heck, that's my point.

I can understand people finding Uconn boring, if they watch basketball for the competitiveness.

But the first team I ever watched was the 2002 team. So I'm drawn to well played basketball, good execution, good passing ect..and the competitiveness of the games don't really matter that much to me.

I will say, I like well played competitive basketball better than one team beating the shit out of each other (I found the Uconn men's team last year to be more exciting than the women)

However, when the basketball being played is terrible/not so good, I like to watch the good team basketball. (aka..Uconn women vs Uconn men THIS season)

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoIndeeeee wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
played3on3 wrote:
If I already know the outcome it's just not any fun and not worth wasting my time.

But it's worth wasting your time complaining about it?

Complaining about it is more interesting than watching it.

Start worrying when people quit complaining, because that means they have left the sport completely. Geno should keep on keeping on, but don't think for a minute it is anything but damaging to the sport.

Michael

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
GoIndeeeee wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
played3on3 wrote:
If I already know the outcome it's just not any fun and not worth wasting my time.

But it's worth wasting your time complaining about it?

Complaining about it is more interesting than watching it.

Start worrying when people quit complaining, because that means they have left the sport completely. Geno should keep on keeping on, but don't think for a minute it is anything but damaging to the sport.

Michael

It's funny how when women dominate it's "damaging"

Was UCLA damaging to the men's sport?

Uconn isn't the problem, the problem is everyone else.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

played3on3 wrote:
Quote:
think the bottom line is if you want exciting, close basketball games you essentially hate the Huskies, but if you like high-quality basketball, then there is no one better.

You make an assumption that, in my case at least, is not true. I do not hate the Huskies. Actually I used to be a very big fan. I just don't believe (opinion coming here) that what is happening with them right now is beneficial to the overall health and growth of the women's game. Yup it's very high quality basketball but so was the game that just ended between Miss St and FSU and IMHO more fun to watch because I didn't know who was going to win! To me that's just more fun which is why I watch in the first place.

Hate is much too strong a word; I probably should have used dislike and specified games, not the team itself. I understand where you are coming from with the hurting growth/health, but I think that more teams will strive to get to that level, which will ultimately improve the quality of play overall. Close games are definitely much better to watch than blow outs; I never meant to insinuate that. I do have to disagree about the quality of play statement -- the FSU/MSU game was not near the quality of UConn, though it was certainly more entertaining.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
I agree, but I don't think they are gonna stop and watch Miss. St vs. Florida St. either.

Why not?

In general, I think it's safe to say the public isn't very interested in womens basketball, particularly when two little-publisized schools are playing.

stats47 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
I think the bottom line is if you want exciting, close basketball games you essentially hate the Huskies, but if you like high-quality basketball, then there is no one better.

You mean there are people who don't want exciting, close basketball games? I'm confused.

No, not what I mean at all. Close games are definitely better, more entertaining and interesting to watch. But I'd rather watch UConn vs. anyone than no basketball at all.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Was UCLA damaging to the men's sport?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: UCLA men weren't winning by 30+ for 75 games in a row while making their opponents look like fourth graders in a sport that hasn't found its niche in the United States.

If a men's team was 36-0 right now while humiliating its opponents, it would be fine because men's basketball already has a reliable fan base. The women's game still needs to hook those casual fans, and the casual fans simply are NOT interested in UConn killing Top 25 teams.

And it's not like I'm saying that it's UConn's fault. They're playing their best, which is what every team should strive to do. But I'm just trying to prove my point: UConn's dominance is bad for the sport.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's funny that people are always saying we shouldn't compare the women's game to the men's game when it comes to issues of crowds, playing style, athleticism, etc. Yet, when it comes to defending the UConn streak, many seem willing to make those comparisons. Women's basketball is not men's basketball and it faces a different set of obstacles that cannot be dismissed by claiming they are just like Wooden's Bruins.

I don't know if their dominance is good for the game or not. It certainly has been impressive and has gotten a lot of media attention. For me, I find myself changing the channel at times and I am an avid supporter of women's sports. Many of my male friends are tired of hearing me defend the game and have seized on the streak to support their arguments about the inferiority of the women's game. I am not so sure that the media attention is the kind that is good for the women's game in the long run but the blame for that should most certainly not be placed on the UConn women who are only doing what is expected of them but in an absolutely dominating fashion.

The most annoying thing is that the sheer boredom of the predetermined outcome is made worse by the the constant fawning of the commentators. At this point I consider Peck to be the wedgie of the UConn team because she is so far up their asses. Of course, they should be commended but when 2 other teams are playing they should at least attempt to talk about those 2 teams.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I'd rather watch UConn vs. anyone than no basketball at all.

Me too. But I'd rather watch Gonzaga vs. UNC or Stanford vs. Baylor or even Centenary vs. Santa Clara than UConn. Sorry, too boring.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

Me too. But I'd rather watch Gonzaga vs. UNC or Stanford vs. Baylor or even Centenary vs. Santa Clara than UConn. Sorry, too boring.

I agree on the first two, but not on the third. It just comes down to personal preference. And of course I'm biased as a Huskie fan.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/28/10 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
stats47 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

I agree on the first two, but not on the third. It just comes down to personal preference. And of course I'm biased as a Huskie fan.

Okay, I may have been going over the top on the Centenary game.. Laughing

Yes, it comes down to personal preference. And I'd like to think that most people would prefer to watch two good teams than one great team and one horrid team. And UConn makes everyone look horrid.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do you fools get your panties in such a twist about this? What's the point of getting so mad about something so stupid? Yeah, they're boring, whatever.

played3on3

PostPosted: 03/28/10 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Hate is much too strong a word; I probably should have used dislike and specified games, not the team itself. I understand where you are coming from with the hurting growth/health, but I think that more teams will strive to get to that level, which will ultimately improve the quality of play overall. Close games are definitely much better to watch than blow outs; I never meant to insinuate that. I do have to disagree about the quality of play statement -- the FSU/MSU game was not near the quality of UConn, though it was certainly more entertaining.

Awesome, we agree...almost Wink I totally agree about raising the level of play. But, it's not like other teams aren't trying, they're just not there yet and teams that would normally challenge them have had off years so the void is very noticeable. There have been some really great games this year but if you only watched the UConn games you wouldn't know it because they have made their opponents look like grade school CYO teams. I understand the quality of play issue but the truth is if that was the number one reason people watched sports there would be a lot of empty stadiums, arenas and ball fields. People watch for quality, enjoyment and entertainment. But they also want to know that their team has some chance to win. That's not happening with this UConn team. Now you know Tenn will be back and the way Baylor is coming along I don't think we will be having this discussion much longer. Now THAT will be fun!! Very Happy

smenko

PostPosted: 03/28/10 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look, it's like watching a well-oiled machine--beautiful! Wow, that UConn is putting on a show like they are and people are bored with it. The Huskies are light-years ahead of the other teams. I didn't change the channel or fall asleep once. Amazing!

shakaho

PostPosted: 03/28/10 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
Look, it's like watching a well-oiled machine--beautiful! Wow, that UConn is putting on a show like they are and people are bored with it. The Huskies are light-years ahead of the other teams. I didn't change the channel or fall asleep once. Amazing!

This. It's like sport as art.

Casual sports fans like to see winners. Golf lost TV audiences when Tiger stopped playing. Someone who checks out a UConn game may not watch the whole game, but goes away with the feeling of having seen something special.

shakaho

PostPosted: 03/28/10 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:

This. It's like sport as art.

Casual sports fans like to see winners. Golf lost TV audiences when Tiger stopped playing. Someone who checks out a UConn game may not watch the whole game, but goes away with the feeling of having seen something special.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/28/10 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:

Yeah, it is fun to watch...except when the other team has the ball. It may be good defense from the Huskies, but watching horrid shots clank off the rim (or miss the rim entirely) or watching grade-school turnovers isn't fun. Neither is watching games in which a team wins 74-36. It makes the other team and ALL of women's basketball look bad.

Not to mention, UConn's dominance makes watching other tournament games less fun. For example, who is gonna want to watch Baylor vs. Duke, when the casual fan is just going to say to themselves, "Why would anyone want to watch this? Either one of these teams will just lose by 30 to UConn."

PostPosted: 03/29/10 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:
Yeah, it is fun to watch...except when the other team has the ball. It may be good defense from the Huskies, but watching horrid shots clank off the rim (or miss the rim entirely) or watching grade-school turnovers isn't fun. Neither is watching games in which a team wins 74-36. It makes the other team and ALL of women's basketball look bad.

Watching UConn play defense is more interesting than watching them play offense, IMO. Why do we see all these horrid shots taken against the Hussies? Because it's damn near impossible to get good shots against them.

UConn's offense can be slowed down. They've been held in the 60's several times this season and even in the 50's once. Their defense is something else entirely. Nobody has hit 70 on them, and nobody has put 60 on them in more than a month. They've held four straight opponents under 40 points and six straight under 50. UConn plays defense better than anyone in the country, and it ain't close.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
stats47 wrote:

Watching UConn play defense is more interesting than watching them play offense, IMO. Why do we see all these horrid shots taken against the Hussies? Because it's damn near impossible to get good shots against them.

UConn's offense can be slowed down. They've been held in the 60's several times this season and even in the 50's once. Their defense is something else entirely. Nobody has hit 70 on them, and nobody has put 60 on them in more than a month. They've held four straight opponents under 40 points and six straight under 50. UConn plays defense better than anyone in the country, and it ain't close.

Oh, absolutely. Of course UConn has the country's best defense by far. I'm just saying that watching Connecticut beat Iowa State 74-36 is not fun or exciting, it's boring and painful.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoops.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:
I'm just saying that watching Connecticut beat Iowa State 74-36 is not fun or exciting, it's boring and painful.

Exactly. I'm glad someone else feels free to share their PERSONAL experience of watching the game. Boring and painful are the exact words I would choose also.

Do I think this UConn team is bad for the game? No. But I think it's bogus to simply state that "everyone else just needs to up their game." I think the top high school talent (i.e. the Maya's and Tina's) should think long and hard about where to play and I'd be much happier if they start picking schools besides UConn and Tennessee more often.

With Griner at Baylor and the Ogwumikes at Stanford, this is starting to happen. Of course I'm not sad that the Parade co-player of the year Chelsea Gray is coming to Duke. Just think about the Baylor/Stanford games of the future! That should be some good balling and great games.

Let me be clear - there's a clear difference between having the two best players in the country and having a team filled with burger girls. And Geno is obviously a genius coach, able to get almost all of his players to go along with his plan (exceptions McLaren, Houston). And it's Geno who made Tina become the best player in the country this year.

Next year with "only" the best player in the country on the team and a strong contest from Griner for that honor, I expect the UConn games will be more competitive than they have been.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: