RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tenn/Baylor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceplease

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

disappointing game from the lady vols. griner is quite impressive now that she has some experience under her belt.

PEACE
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

peaceplease wrote:
disappointing game from the lady vols. griner is quite impressive now that she has some experience under her belt.

A very disappointing last 7 minutes. After getting the 5-point lead, they've completely come unglued offensively and defensively. They've settled for bad shots, and when they have gotten good loooks, Griner or someone else has blocked the shot.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Clearly Summitt paid off the refs to make calls against her team so she wouldn't be forced to play UConn. Wink

Exactly. You know she has those refs in Memphis, Tennessee in pocket.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TN's shooting percentages are sort of eye popping in comparison to Baylor's.

43% FT%?
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So who is angrier about this? Pat? Or the ESPN honchos who will once again be denied a UConn-Tennessee matchup?

luvDhoops

If I were Pat, I would've brought Williams in earlier, when Shekinna seemed to be getting winded. It just would have been another look. Williams is probably the best defender on the team along with Glory.

Mulkey can't even believe it. Very Happy Will the post games be on ESPN360?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Force10rulz

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:55 pm    ::: Re: Tenn/Baylor Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

What they called a tipped ball when Baylor threw it out of bounds early wasn't. It was originally going to be given to TN and then with the incorrect over-rule it was given back to Baylor.

On the "travel" her left foot went down, ball comes up, right foot goes down, right foot steps through = no walk.

After that jump, stop and step was called traveling I had a brief thought, same as you. Instead I decided that I was just going to enjoy a close good game, and it's been one of the better games I've watched since the Zags beat the Aggies. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just thinking how Tennessee's post-Parker tournament performances have been worse than UConn's post-Taurasi years so far. Yeesh.

FS02

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Baylor Bears, they played almost flawlessly. Still amazed at Griner's touch.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So who would have thought that the Tennessee men would be in the Elite 8 this year and the Tennessee women would not?

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
I was just thinking how Tennessee's post-Parker tournament performances have been worse than UConn's post-Taurasi years so far. Yeesh.

Say what you want about player's "attitudes" but the personalities on those teams Bobbitt, Parker, Anosike and Hornbuckle were enough alone to get those teams to the E8's and FF's. Honestly, Tennessee's present team is faaaaaaaarrrr more deeper with more all around talent than in Parker's years, yet there's CLEARLY no leadership. They have NO swagger.

These Baylor girls had more swagger and more "let's get it" than Tennessee had in essentially their own backyard.

Personalities really matter.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice stat line for Griner:
B. Griner 27 Pts, 7 Reb, 2 Ast, 10 Blk

If she's doing this as a freshman, will she be able to have a year averaging a triple double?

Last edited by kage on 03/27/10 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
deanjet

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to Baylor and fellow Arkansans Jordan Madden and Whitney Zachariason. While Tennessee improved drastically from a year ago, they still seemed to lack the killer instinct of past Lady Vol teams. This should be a good rivalry the next couple of years and hopefully we will see Baugh back for Tennessee next year.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Baylor. Griner was really impressive today.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocking! Who would have given Tennessee and 14? Best game Baylor played all year.

Great Sportsmanship shown by Tennessee Coaches and Players too.........

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:

Say what you want about player's "attitudes" but the personalities on those teams Bobbitt, Parker, Anosike and Hornbuckle were enough alone to get those teams to the E8's and FF's. Honestly, Tennessee's present team is faaaaaaaarrrr more deeper with more all around talent than in Parker's years, yet there's CLEARLY no leadership. They have NO swagger.

These Baylor girls had more swagger and more "let's get it" than Tennessee had in essentially their own backyard.

I agree. Would Baugh had been considered a leader/firey if healthy?

And to add what you said, they do have talented players, but they don't really have that "go-to" player. Someone who wants to and can get things done at the end of a close game.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
So who is angrier about this? Pat? Or the ESPN honchos who will once again be denied a UConn-Tennessee matchup?

Undefeated UConn against freshman phenom behemoth Griner is pretty damn sellable as well (should it ultimately occur). I think ESPN could live with that.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kara Lawson just made a GREAT point that I noticed throughout the game -- Kim Mulkey called timeouts at all the right times.

kage

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
njjosh wrote:

Undefeated UConn against freshman phenom behemoth Griner is pretty damn sellable as well (should it ultimately occur). I think ESPN could live with that.

Could be an interesting parallel to Maya Moore's first year if they care to draw the comparison.

Of course, then following the analogy, Griner would lose this year but then win the next.
hangtyme24

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
peaceplease wrote:

A very disappointing last 7 minutes. After getting the 5-point lead, they've completely come unglued offensively and defensively. They've settled for bad shots, and when they have gotten good loooks, Griner or someone else has blocked the shot.

Griner and Medlock played very well today for Baylor. They simply outplayed Brewer and Cain! Maybe next year for Tenn! Both teams will be almost the same, with the exception of Medlock! Maybe Baugh will be the difference maker for Tenn next year!

Richyyy wrote:
njjosh wrote:

To us knowledgable WBB fans, yes.

But Baylor is still not that well known outside of that group. Even people who normally don't watch WBB know about UConn and Tennessee. Why do you think CBS put that game on network TV every year for a decade?

mercfan3

luvDhoops wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:

Yea, Tenn lost a lot. Parker was an all world talent. But then you had Anosike who was nasty on defense. Hornbuckle, who was tough herself. And then Bobbitt that was fiery, and everytime I'd watch Tenn I'd think "watch the little one" cause without fail, she's knock down a huge shot for Tenn.

Tenn is a really young team, still.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 03/27/10 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:

I agree. Would Baugh had been considered a leader/firey if healthy?

And to add what you said, they do have talented players, but they don't really have that "go-to" player. Someone who wants to and can get things done at the end of a close game.

I think Baugh DOES have that attitude. She just has that personality. I look at Cain, and I love her, but this chick is always fucking smiling. She smiles after mistakes. She smiles after fouls. She just smiles. That's her. It's a beautiful thing, but I need an angry chick on my side when we go to battle. We really miss Baugh. Paint me cynical, but I just don't think physically she'll ever return to her form prior to those two knee injuries and even at this point, it will be a mental thing too.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Kara Lawson just made a GREAT point that I noticed throughout the game -- Kim Mulkey called timeouts at all the right times.

It sure worked out that way. I couldn't believe it when then they had only one timeout left midway through the second half. But it worked out for them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: