RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Round Two Comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/10 11:06 pm    ::: Round Two Comparison Reply Reply with quote

Upsets

Men 6
Women 4

Big Upsets (4+ seeds apart)

Men 4
Women 3

Close games (decided by single digits or in OT)

Men 9
Women 7

Blowouts (decided by 20+ points)

Men 2
Women 4

Teams scoring 80+

Men 8
Women 6

Teams scoring 90+

Men 1
Women 3

Teams scoring 100+

Men 0
Women 0
--------------------------------

Combined through two rounds

Upsets

Men 16
Women 8

Big upsets

Men 9
Women 6

Close games

Men 26
Women 17

Blowouts

Men 8
Women 16

Teams scoring 80+

Men 22
Women 16

Teams scoring 90+

Men 6
Women 6

Teams scoring 100+

Men 1
Women 0

PostPosted: 03/23/10 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting.

Thanks pilight!

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/24/10 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this proves what ive said all tournament, the women's game in terms of overall quality of the tourney is sneaking up on the men. Mind you this has been one major tourney for the men...the women's numbers of upsets and close games have actually been the same as an average Men's tourney...yes Uconn has been going ape but right below the surface you're seeing a much higher talent level below the big 3...and that just makes Uconn's streak all the more amazing.

PostPosted: 03/24/10 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm anticipating more upsets next season.... though, as i typed that I think I took it back.... just thinking about all the seniors on the upset teams....

PostPosted: 03/25/10 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
this proves what ive said all tournament, the women's game in terms of overall quality of the tourney is sneaking up on the men. Mind you this has been one major tourney for the men...the women's numbers of upsets and close games have actually been the same as an average Men's tourney...yes Uconn has been going ape but right below the surface you're seeing a much higher talent level below the big 3...and that just makes Uconn's streak all the more amazing.

Since when are close games indicative of quality?

And there are 16 upsets on the men's side to 8 for the women...how is that close?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/10 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
And there are 16 upsets on the men's side to 8 for the women...how is that close?

About half of the men's upsets are games that were close together in seed. A 9 over an 8 or a 10 over a 7 isn't much of an upset. Indeed, it was your (justified) complaint about raw upset numbers two years ago that prompted me to add the Big Upset category.

The upset number for the men is exceptionally high. It's the most upsets in the first two rounds since 1999. You may recall that as the year five double digit seeds reached the S16. Of course it ended with three #1s in the F4...

PostPosted: 03/25/10 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked how Iowa State, FSU and Xavier almost lost to lower seeds on their home floors.

Or is it higher seeds? I never know how to say that...

No shortage of drama here.

PostPosted: 03/25/10 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
I liked how Iowa State, FSU and Xavier almost lost to lower seeds on their home floors.

Or is it higher seeds? I never know how to say that...

No shortage of drama here.

I say #1 is a higher seed than #16. A few people prefer it the other way.

PostPosted: 03/25/10 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The upset number for the men is exceptionally high. It's the most upsets in the first two rounds since 1999. You may recall that as the year five double digit seeds reached the S16. Of course it ended with three #1s in the F4...

Exactly. That’s why the original comparison was with an average men’s tournament, not the craziness of this year. (I’m the one who reminded Happycappie of that point in conversation, so I feel entitled to interpret.) And we know this year’s men’s FF won’t have three #1 seeds now.

PostPosted: 03/26/10 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always say "better seed" and "worse seed." For example, 1 is a better seed than 2 and 4 is a worse seed than 3. I also say "light jerseys" and "dark jerseys" because the better-seeded team always wears the light-colored jersey. Note that I said "better seed," not "better team."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: