RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OKSTATE V GEORGIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/10 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
But lets be serious here guys...who does riley really have on the team that she can pass to thats reliable enough to actually MAKE a shot?

How would we find that out?

PostPosted: 03/22/10 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
But lets be serious here guys...who does riley really have on the team that she can pass to thats reliable enough to actually MAKE a shot ? other than Cunningham "Sometimes"...i dont blame her she carries that team..i believe there better with her than without her as was proven in round 1,barely escaping a 13 seed if she doesnt play tonight against UGA they lose by 20 + easily...

no one even remotely says she not the teams best player,
or that she isn't the best player to take the shot.

It's that none of us know anything about her teammates cuz she rarely if ever passes the ball!!!!!!

I'll go as far as to say when the team has a chance to practice and play without her, the team as a whole will be better!
Why... the rest of them will be able to try to shoot once and a while!!!!!

PostPosted: 03/23/10 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
CRASH wrote:
"...double team Riley and force her to give it up" Shocked ROTFLMAO

you got a pry bar to give em'?????
cuz its ganna take more than 2 defenders to get the ball from Riley!!!!!!

Maybe they mean double teamed by her teammates to get the ball away Very Happy
LOL @ TigerVol! Laughing I'm thinking THAT might not work, either.

I mean, it's just absurd. I can't begin to imagine what their practices must look like...do they even TRY to learn various offensive plays? If that's been Budke's program, then all I can say is he's got one helluva drop off for next season.

rustedsyringe

PostPosted: 03/23/10 3:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
But lets be serious here guys...who does riley really have on the team that she can pass to thats reliable enough to actually MAKE a shot ?

Looks like they are all capable of making a shot. See: second half of first round game.

CRASH

PostPosted: 03/23/10 3:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rustedsyringe wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
But lets be serious here guys...who does riley really have on the team that she can pass to thats reliable enough to actually MAKE a shot ?

Looks like they are all capable of making a shot. See: second half of first round game.

Thank You!
No team is going to win in March with your point guard taking 31 of your 66 shots!

The points JOB is to run the offence, distribute the ball, THEN look for her shot when nothing else is available. She is supposed to be the "safety net", NOT the only option!!!!!

Bad coaching!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 03/23/10 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JumpMan23 wrote:
And there she goes hitting the floor!

We have a drinking game that started with Janice Hardrick. Everytime Ash hits the floor we take a drink.

Huskie

PostPosted: 03/23/10 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:
Congratulations to Georgia. Ok St was outcoached and outplayed.

Absolutely! With nine seconds to go in reg., game tied, Riley is walking the ball up court. She had no recognition of the situation. We thought maybe she thought OKState was ahead?? The coach had one time out, which he should have called to set up a play. The last nine seconds were wasted by OK State.

The freshman for GA was just outstanding!

Grumps

PostPosted: 03/23/10 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
JumpMan23 wrote:

We have a drinking game that started with Janice Hardrick. Everytime Ash hits the floor we take a drink.

Our drinking game is better....Every time Doris "Puke" Burke does a TN game we take a shot when she mentions UConn...IF she mentions the canceled series we take a double...I cut the audio off at halftime last night for fear of passing out... Shocked

Grumps

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/23/10 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
JumpMan23 wrote:

Our drinking game is better....Every time Doris "Puke" Burke does a TN game we take a shot when she mentions UConn...IF she mentions the canceled series we take a double...I cut the audio off at halftime last night for fear of passing out... Shocked

Grumps

There's a charming nickname that's well deserving of one of the best analysts in basketball. Rolling Eyes

Trust me, we've heard plenty of blathering on about Tennessee too, and how last year was such a fluke.

caune

PostPosted: 03/23/10 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:
CRASH wrote:
JumpMan23 wrote:
It's nice hearing Dave Pasch call out Riley on her ball-hogging.

Man aint the truth!!!!
OK st should really be way up, but Riley being Riley.... Wink

You can't blame it on Riley. I blame it on the Coach. He has said she has the green light to shoot. OkSt is in trouble now with Teegan fouling out and OSU down 4 with 1:18

Sorry but I'm calling BS on that shit.
Just because you have a green light to shot doesn't mean you do it in the first 3 seconds on the shot clock. Honestly, there are 4 other players out there who rarely get to touch the ball and when Riley does pass to them they are so damned surprised they don't know what to do with it Shocked
Young was brilliant on Saturday without Riley...translation, when she got the damn ball Shocked

I was impressed with Rileys speed last night but not her decision making. It's going to take way to long to turn her into a real point guard and any W team that;s thinking of drafting her should be very patient.

PostPosted: 03/23/10 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:
bridgehere wrote:

Absolutely! With nine seconds to go in reg., game tied, Riley is walking the ball up court. She had no recognition of the situation. We thought maybe she thought OKState was ahead?? The coach had one time out, which he should have called to set up a play. The last nine seconds were wasted by OK State.

Oh goodness, I saw that last play during the highlights and thought "what is she doing!?" She was acting as if there were still minutes on the clock. I hope the coach plans many shooting drills before next season starts; does he even know who else can shoot on his team?

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/23/10 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As for bad coaching, I do believe Oklahoma State was in the second round of the NCAA tournament, which would make it one of the top 32 teams in the nation.

That works for me, coaching-wise ...

PostPosted: 03/23/10 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
As for bad coaching, I do believe Oklahoma State was in the second round of the NCAA tournament, which would make it one of the top 32 teams in the nation.

And how far could those players have gone, if he had taught them to play as a team, involved more of the players.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/10 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I suppose it depends on whether they had a talent level sufficient to advance further. I don't think they did, so Budke was adequate.

PostPosted: 03/23/10 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Yeah, and both times he did it with Riley. So what? He has some talented players, he should have gone further in this tournament. He is the COACH, not Riley. The first game he let them get down l8 points. He didn't have them taking the ball to the basket, they weren't playing defense. The second half he wakes up and they start playing defense and they score from it. The second half you see what Robinson and Young can do. Young, the freshman, has probably the best game of her career. The thing is that Riley does see the floor, she is fast, she does direct her players well to get the right shot for someone else. She has the green light to shoot. The coach could have called timeout, if he did not like what was going on at the end of regulation play, he didn't. Now, Riley is the problem? I don't think so. He was not able to incorporate her and her teammates into a team.

But, you know what, we are allowed different opinions, the world doesn't come to an end; nor is it personal.

bridgehere

PostPosted: 03/23/10 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:
Huskie wrote:
bridgehere wrote:

Oh goodness, I saw that last play during the highlights and thought "what is she doing!?" She was acting as if there were still minutes on the clock. I hope the coach plans many shooting drills before next season starts; does he even know who else can shoot on his team?

Of course, he does. Did you see OSU play in the first round without Riley?
But, maybe he forgot between game one and game two.

bridgehere

PostPosted: 03/23/10 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
CRASH wrote:
JumpMan23 wrote:
It's nice hearing Dave Pasch call out Riley on her ball-hogging.

Man aint the truth!!!!
OK st should really be way up, but Riley being Riley.... Wink

You can't blame it on Riley. I blame it on the Coach. He has said she has the green light to shoot. OkSt is in trouble now with Teegan fouling out and OSU down 4 with 1:18

Sorry but I'm calling BS on that shit.
Just because you have a green light to shot doesn't mean you do it in the first 3 seconds on the shot clock. Honestly, there are 4 other players out there who rarely get to touch the ball and when Riley does pass to them they are so damned surprised they don't know what to do with it Shocked
Young was brilliant on Saturday without Riley...translation, when she got the damn ball Shocked

I was impressed with Rileys speed last night but not her decision making. It's going to take way to long to turn her into a real point guard and any W team that;s thinking of drafting her should be very patient.

Sorry, but I think the BS is not holding the Coach accountable. How many times have you seen OK state play in the last four years? He is in charge, he is the coach, the teacher and he has some talent. Riley's shooting was not different than it has been her whole career. That is the coaches job to have her get her teammates involved, if he doesn't do it then it is his failure.

Riley is fast, can be a good floor general, and I imagine can play defense; but the coach has not demanded that of her or taught her to play differently. As far as I'm concerned, he almost lost the first game for them. Even I could see in the first half, that they needed to step up their defense and they needed to try to get to the paint. Luckily in the second half, they came out and stressed defense and turned an l8 point deficit into a win without Riley. Think what this team could have done with Riley if he had coached the team to play as a team for four years.

I think Riley could make it at the next level, but it depends on the coach. It depends upon which team she end up on, if any. It depends on whether she is willing to change her style of play, after being allowed to play the way she has the last four years. Even then I don't know if she will have the time to change. As we all know, there are a few spots and many great players.

And I agree Young was great and Robinson is really good, but the coach has not provided an environment for them to flourish. He probably makes as much as Sherri Coale, which I think is a basic pay of $750,000 at the least. What is Riley getting paid? Nothing, she isn't the coach. The buck does not stop with her, it stops with Budke.

Must add that Riley is not in charge of who starts, who plays. He could have sat her in the first five minutes and played the same team from the first game. He could have used the strategy from the second half of the first game to start the game last night.

EDIT: i say deficient, i mean deficit. Embarassed edit before i post, edit before i post, edit before i post. Now, repeat.

Last edited by bridgehere on 03/24/10 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
giraffespots

PostPosted: 03/23/10 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Riley hasn't been hogging the ball for just the past 4 years. She has been doing that since she started playing. Her dad was her coach when she was younger and she has never, in her life, been told to share the ball, or to play defense when she doesn't have the ball, or to play offense when she doesn't have the ball or to pass the ball. Should we expect her to "know" not to jack it up 40 times a game? All of a sudden, people realize she is doing this?? All season I've been reading Riley accolades. It took to Riley's last game of her 4 year career for people to notice.

During the OU/OSU Big 12 tourney game, I went back and watched it when I got home. Debbie Antonelli gushed about Riley for 3/4 of the game. She said "Riley" at least 500 times. Riley was credited for things like "making the pass to the person who made the pass to the person who hit a 3 pt shot." I kid you not. Then midway in the second half, Antonelli noticed that Riley just stands there when she doesn't have the ball. She was STUNNED. She kept saying the rest of the game, "Well, she's going to have to learn to not do that anymore." Ya think?

Budke has been running this team by coddling Riley ever since she got there at the expense of the rest of the players. He has run more players off from this team than any other team I have seen. He set the culture of this team, not Riley (possibly with influence from her dad). Riley has the green light for ANYTHING, and that includes tussels with teammates, trainers, etc. He always sides with her. Cos you know darn well that suspension was just wrong, she didn't actually HIT Erica. And Erica had been banging her all night long. Rolling Eyes

Next year, I say, watch for Lakyn Garrison. She is going to be their 3 pt threat. Toni Young will be their next big "star".

PostPosted: 03/23/10 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
Riley hasn't been hogging the ball for just the past 4 years. She has been doing that since she started playing. Her dad was her coach when she was younger and she has never, in her life, been told to share the ball, or to play defense when she doesn't have the ball, or to play offense when she doesn't have the ball or to pass the ball. Should we expect her to "know" not to jack it up 40 times a game? All of a sudden, people realize she is doing this?? All season I've been reading Riley accolades. It took to Riley's last game of her 4 year career for people to notice.

During the OU/OSU Big 12 tourney game, I went back and watched it when I got home. Debbie Antonelli gushed about Riley for 3/4 of the game. She said "Riley" at least 500 times. Riley was credited for things like "making the pass to the person who made the pass to the person who hit a 3 pt shot." I kid you not. Then midway in the second half, Antonelli noticed that Riley just stands there when she doesn't have the ball. She was STUNNED. She kept saying the rest of the game, "Well, she's going to have to learn to not do that anymore." Ya think?

Budke has been running this team by coddling Riley ever since she got there at the expense of the rest of the players. He has run more players off from this team than any other team I have seen. He set the culture of this team, not Riley (possibly with influence from her dad). Riley has the green light for ANYTHING, and that includes tussels with teammates, trainers, etc. He always sides with her. Cos you know darn well that suspension was just wrong, she didn't actually HIT Erica. And Erica had been banging her all night long. Rolling Eyes

Next year, I say, watch for Lakyn Garrison. She is going to be their 3 pt threat. Toni Young will be their next big "star".

I think alot of the analysts only notice the scout sheet and then talk about it all game.
It always cracks me up when the finally look up and see a game being played, and notice (place name of school star here) is making mistake after mistake).

I, for one, cant wait to see Oklahoma State play next year!
I'll finally be able to see them play as a TEAM.
Thus see what others can or cannot do, based on actual playing time!
Not time standing around on the court whos only job is to get in the way
of defenders, while the coaches pet project, gets to show boat and ball hog!

Budke needs to find a "How to Book" to remind himself how to coach
a TEAM to play basketball, instead of playing nurse made to one
perceived "star".

PostPosted: 03/23/10 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
JumpMan23 wrote:

Grumps

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Good God

I should say so! Burke went on and on for 15min about how Pat should
lend an ear to someone at ESPN. Like thats gonna happen.... Rolling Eyes

Next time I need to get sloshed, Im gonna play too!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/23/10 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
giraffespots wrote:

I think alot of the analysts only notice the scout sheet and then talk about it all game.
It always cracks me up when the finally look up and see a game being played, and notice (place name of school star here) is making mistake after mistake).

I, for one, cant wait to see Oklahoma State play next year!
I'll finally be able to see them play as a TEAM.
Thus see what others can or cannot do, based on actual playing time!
Not time standing around on the court whos only job is to get in the way
of defenders, while the coaches pet project, gets to show boat and ball hog!

Budke needs to find a "How to Book" to remind himself how to coach
a TEAM to play basketball, instead of playing nurse made to one
perceived "star".

Not just the tv analysts who have a person shaking their heads, Riley is a finalist for the Nancy Lieberman award and Wooden Award. Personally, I have no problem with her. I think the adults and coaches have done her a disservice in her life.

CRASH

PostPosted: 03/23/10 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:

Not just the tv analysts who have a person shaking their heads, Riley is a finalist for the Nancy Lieberman award and Wooden Award. Personally, I have no problem with her. I think the adults and coaches have done her a disservice in her life.

Don't get me started on Nancy, Sorry... HOFer Nancy Lieberman
or her award.

I agree!
Oklahoma State could have been contenders for the B12 title and in the S16 (in their current bracket) and possible further (seeded somewhere else) had Budke taught them to play as a TEAM.
This would have increased Rileys value coming out of collage also!

PostPosted: 03/23/10 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rustedsyringe wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Anybody can score against a non-caliber opponent..they wouldnt be divison 1 athletes if they couldnt.If they practiced and played without her of course they would be better but i doubt they would win half the games they won this year.Seriously they would be at the bottom of the Big 12 without question. Everybody is so Anti-Riley lol...she had 7 assts last night but nobody mentions that! She passed the ball they still lose, so if she just becomes Pass first do you really think they had any kind of shot at beating UGA then ? HELL NO

PostPosted: 03/23/10 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get the criticism of OK State as being poorly coached, or of Riley in crunch time. OK State was down 5 with 32 seconds left in overtime, and put on a great display of extending the clock with fouls, timeouts and Riley's ability to get the shot up quickly. They got 5 possessions in that 32 seconds, forced Georgia to shoot 10 free throws, and had a chance to tie with a last second 3-pointer. Poorly coached teams don't manage the clock like that, and there are few players in the country who could have scored 7 points as Riley did, that quickly and with the defense focused on her.

PostPosted: 03/23/10 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
I don't get the criticism of OK State as being poorly coached, or of Riley in crunch time. OK State was down 5 with 32 seconds left in overtime, and put on a great display of extending the clock with fouls, timeouts and Riley's ability to get the shot up quickly. They got 5 possessions in that 32 seconds, forced Georgia to shoot 10 free throws, and had a chance to tie with a last second 3-pointer. Poorly coached teams don't manage the clock like that, and there are few players in the country who could have scored 7 points as Riley did, that quickly and with the defense focused on her.

All of that is true.

However....
A well coached team doesn't play 1 on 5 basketball!
A well coached Point guard doesn't shoot the ball with 24 seconds left on the shot clock in the half court!
Ill even go as far as say, had they played team ball they wouldn't have needed the "heroics" of Riley at the end, they would have been leading the entire game!!!!!
And Riley was guarded by Houst by herself until that last shot... that Riley missed!

Don't believe me? See every other TEAM in the Tournament!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: