RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UWGB-Virginia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/22/10 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
njjosh wrote:
The best way to beat a rhythm, finesse, execution-based offense is to get in their grill and disrupt it. Why Virginia waited until they fell behind by 15 points to do so is beyond me.

It's the same reason Virginia hasn't been past the second round in a decade or past the S16 since the Dawn Staley days.

Incorrect on the last point. They got to the Elite 8 in 1995 (gave UConn its closest game all season) and 1996 (blew a 17-point lead at home against Tennessee).

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/10 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
pilight wrote:
njjosh wrote:
The best way to beat a rhythm, finesse, execution-based offense is to get in their grill and disrupt it. Why Virginia waited until they fell behind by 15 points to do so is beyond me.

It's the same reason Virginia hasn't been past the second round in a decade or past the S16 since the Dawn Staley days.

Incorrect on the last point. They got to the Elite 8 in 1995 (gave UConn its closest game all season) and 1996 (blew a 17-point lead at home against Tennessee).

Perhaps I was exaggerating to make a point. But yeah, 15 years ago they were a threat to make the second weekend.

PostPosted: 03/22/10 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Howee wrote:
That ranks (IMO) as one of the more...err...*exciting* games of the tourney so far. Definitely a white knuckler. Also one of the more bizarre games, too. It seemed like the officiating was trying to give every advantage to UVA, who didn't know what to DO with it....the missed put-backs and free throws were killers. Heartbreaker for Wright & Co., but lotsa guts from Green Bay. BTW, BRILLIANT performances by Hoewisch and Tetschlag..(where DO they get these names in Wisconsin?? I guess they're still easier than Tchatchouang and Ogwumike! Cool ?)

Smile - that's one of the cool things about UWGB too - out of 14 players on their roster 10 are from Wisconsin and the other ones are from the Midwest - Minnesota and Illinois.

Watching the Oklahoma- SDSU game tonight reminded me that the SDSU originally took the UWGB job when Kevin Borseth took the Michigan job but he changed his mind shortly after taking the job and went back to SDSU.

Wisc GB also has no seniors on the roster and 3 players 6-2 or taller are redshirting.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/22/10 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...and another game-related point: Did anyone notice the consistently high levels of SPORTSMANSHIP exhibited by Green Bay? Those ladies were routinely helping VA players off the floor, and giving pats after fouls, etc. I was duly impressed.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/10 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:

Wisc GB also has no seniors on the roster and 3 players 6-2 or taller are redshirting.

I've been watching them all year (from a distance) and had been thinking they would be really good next year, but they really need a bit more size inside so it's good to hear that is being addressed. They should be really very good next year if any of those redshirts can actually play. Tetschlag and Wojta have been pretending to be posts all year, and doing pretty well considering they are really wings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: