RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rutgers vs. Iowa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/10 7:30 pm    ::: Rutgers vs. Iowa Reply Reply with quote

Doeesn't it figure that Brian Enterline would be the ref where the player gets the elbow right to the throat right in front of him????

I know someone that had to have a tracheotomy because of an elbow to the throat.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/20/10 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa is coming unraveled

PostPosted: 03/20/10 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Iowa is coming unraveled

You're being kind. Smile

pilight

PostPosted: 03/20/10 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has actually been a fun game to watch. Maybe it's playing those BEast teams who are familiar with the Scarlet's style that make regular season Rutgers games so painful on TV.

PostPosted: 03/20/10 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does Rutgers call a time out when there are 5 people holding the ball?

Bretter

PostPosted: 03/20/10 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Iowa was gonna lay an egg and ESPN would quickly transport me away, but they've kept playing tough. Actually a pretty good game to watch. 5 minutes left..

pilight

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bretter wrote:
I thought Iowa was gonna lay an egg and ESPN would quickly transport me away, but they've kept playing tough. Actually a pretty good game to watch. 5 minutes left..

The way the first half ended, I thought Iowa might come out and shoot Rutgers out of the game early in the second.

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa slowly starting to pull away, just need to take care of the ball.

Bretter

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bretter wrote:

The way the first half ended, I thought Iowa might come out and shoot Rutgers out of the game early in the second.

Well, that's definitely what has given them back the lead.. That and not turning over the ball so much in the backcourt.

GoIndeeeee

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen Rutgers much lately but do they always get away with so many bumps, pushes and slaps?

DTP

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When your a high intense defensive team, you're always going to get away with quite a bit.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering how that pass out of bounds to a player that pops out would work against Rutgers?

Iowa is running along the baseline, but RU should be able to keep up with the runner. A pass should be faster.

GoIndeeeee

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa used to do the trick inbounds quite a bit. They should try it. It couldn't be worse than the first few minutes of the second half.

GoIndeeeee

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If someone had told me that Iowa would win a tournament game back in the middle of January I would have slapped them and told them to snap out of it. Good win for a very young bunch.

FS02

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm shocked on two counts. A Rutgers game was entertaining and Bryan Enterline didn't ruin it.

Kamile Wahlin! Wow, is she better than she was last year or what?

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This has actually been a fun game to watch. Maybe it's playing those BEast teams who are familiar with the Scarlet's style that make regular season Rutgers games so painful on TV.

On the other hand, Iowa gives up 70+ to Big Ten teams on a regular basis. But any team that can pull an entertaining game out of Rutgers gets plenty of credit from me...

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoIndeeeee wrote:
I haven't seen Rutgers much lately but do they always get away with so many bumps, pushes and slaps?

Unless they play Tennessee or UConn in the NCAA Tournament, yes.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoIndeeeee wrote:
If someone had told me that Iowa would win a tournament game back in the middle of January I would have slapped them and told them to snap out of it. Good win for a very young bunch.

I'll make a bold prediction. After Iowa loses its next game on Monday, they'll return to the tournament next year and make it to the sweet 16. How's that?

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
ladyvols76

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
GoIndeeeee wrote:

I'll make a bold prediction. After Iowa loses its next game on Monday, they'll return to the tournament next year and make it to the sweet 16. How's that?

If Hamlin gets the medical redshirt (but not looking good from what Bluder has said) then I think you are right on! I hope that they can find another Center just to help with minutes. Johnson works her tail off, she needs some help. Machado is just undersized to play the 5.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 03/20/10 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladyvols76 wrote:
shyguy1701 wrote:
GoIndeeeee wrote:

If Hamlin gets the medical redshirt (but not looking good from what Bluder has said) then I think you are right on! I hope that they can find another Center just to help with minutes. Johnson works her tail off, she needs some help. Machado is just undersized to play the 5.

While watching the night game, I may add UNC to that prediction...

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/20/10 11:43 pm    ::: Re: Rutgers vs. Iowa Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Doeesn't it figure that Brian Enterline would be the ref where the player gets the elbow right to the throat right in front of him????

I know someone that had to have a tracheotomy because of an elbow to the throat.

OW! Who did what to whom? Had to miss that game for quality family bonding time.

PostPosted: 03/20/10 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoIndeeeee wrote:

...yes.. Laughing

It's that old joke.

Rutgers fans say "great defense"
Uconn fans say "FOUL!"

Honestly, because of that I really thought Rutgers would win. I thought they would struggle with the press, and because the team revolves around shooting..I figured they wouldn't be able to shoot well.

PostPosted: 03/21/10 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First time this year I've seen Rutgers up close. Interesting game to watch. A few things stood out.
1) They pretty much looked miserable the whole time, like they really weren't having any fun playing... or playing with each other. Pretty unusual for college teams.
2) What's with Chelsea Lee? She plays with a major chip on the shoulder. Does she ever get techs? She got in opponents face on several occassions and acted like she was trying to entice someone into breaking her nose, but mild Iowa was not the right team for it. Rolling Eyes I'm pretty sure Plenette would oblige. As it was, it just looked comical.
3) Yes, to the getting away with a lot of fouls. Their trapping defense is certainly impressive. But there were definitely lots of bumps and slaps that went uncalled. It does seem like a team that prepares for it should be able to break their presses. But Iowa went through periods of time where it looked pretty iffy whether they would or wouldn't get the ball down the floor. Alexander was pretty impressive.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/21/10 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a great point, and I never really heard it articulated before: The Rutgers players don't ever look as if they're having fun -- and if you're not having fun, it's hard to reach your potential.

PostPosted: 03/21/10 5:46 pm    ::: Re: Rutgers vs. Iowa Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

OW! Who did what to whom? Had to miss that game for quality family bonding time.

Number 34 for Rutgers and Krei for Iowa were down on the rightside block. Krei had inside position (Rutgers was on offense). The shot went up from the top of the key and as #34 pivoted for the rebound, she led with her elbow and caught Krei right in the throat. It wasn't intentional, but should have been called.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: