RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Associated Press SEC awards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthernFan

PostPosted: 03/16/10 9:11 pm    ::: Associated Press SEC awards Reply Reply with quote

First Team

*Victoria Dunlap-Kentucky
*Allison Hightower-LSU
Bianca Thomas-Ole Miss
Angie Bjorklund-Tennessee
Kelley Cain-Tennessee

Second Team

Ashley Houts-Georgia
Shekinna Stricklen-Tennessee
Alexis Rack-Mississippi State
Kelsey Bone-South Carolina
Jence Rhoads-Vanderbilt

Honorable Mention

Armelie Lumanu-Mississippi State
A'dia Mathies-Kentucky
Meredith Marsh-Vanderbilt
Kayla Melson-Ole Miss
Valerie Nainima-SouthCarolina

POY: Victoria Dunlap
COY: Matthew Mitchell
Newcomer of the year: Kelsey Bone

cujo

PostPosted: 03/17/10 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Way to go CATS! Let the post-season be a showcase to demonstrate how/why you won those awards.

~UK~

PostPosted: 03/17/10 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While Kelsey Bone had a decent year, A'dia Mathies and Jasmine James were better candidates for Newcomer of the Year.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 03/17/10 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
While Kelsey Bone had a decent year, A'dia Mathies and Jasmine James were better candidates for Newcomer of the Year.

X_______________

SouthernFan

PostPosted: 03/17/10 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:

Jasmine James? I don't think so. Good freshman year, but I think she was clearly the 3rd candidate behind Bone and Mathies.

I'm not sure I would call Mathies a "better candidate" either. They both (Bone and Mathies) had good freshman seasons.

Bone had the slight advantage between the two in points, and she led the conference in rebounding, also a decent, not great, FG %. Mathies was a fine all around player for the Cats averaging about 13 ppg and 5 rpg with a ton of steals.

All three of them had a "decent year". It could have gone either way between Bone and Mathies. It's not as if one had the clear advantage over the other.

~UK~

PostPosted: 03/17/10 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SouthernFan wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

Jasmine James? I don't think so. Good freshman year, but I think she was clearly the 3rd candidate behind Bone and Mathies.

I'm not sure I would call Mathies a "better candidate" either. They both (Bone and Mathies) had good freshman seasons.

Bone had the slight advantage between the two in points, and she led the conference in rebounding, also a decent, not great, FG %. Mathies was a fine all around player for the Cats averaging about 13 ppg and 5 rpg with a ton of steals.

All three of them had a "decent year". It could have gone either way between Bone and Mathies. It's not as if one had the clear advantage over the other.

Mathies was definitely a better overall player. Statistics tell the story. Guess that's not what the AP writers were looking at.

Luckily, the coaches got it right. Wink

It will be interesting to see how Bone matures and gets in better condition. Every game I saw her play, she barely could make it up and down the court after a few plays. If I remember correctly, she doesn't average a lot of minutes. Partly because of conditioning, partly due to fouls. Idea The transition from high school to college is harder on some more than others.

JumpMan23

PostPosted: 03/17/10 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~, if you're going to say "statistics tell the story," which I agree with, then don't make absurd statements like, "A'dia Mathies and Jasmine James were better candidates for Newcomer of the Year." Even if you do believe that Mathies is a better candidate statistically, there is no way in hell that Jasmine James is. It's important to follow your own rule, and like Batman, don't break it.

SouthernFan

PostPosted: 03/17/10 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
SouthernFan wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

Mathies was definitely a better overall player. Statistics tell the story. Guess that's not what the AP writers were looking at.

It will be interesting to see how Bone matures and gets in better condition. Every game I saw her play, she barely could make it up and down the court after a few plays. If I remember correctly, she doesn't average a lot of minutes. Partly because of conditioning, partly due to fouls. Idea The transition from high school to college is harder on some more than others.

And exactly how many games did you see her play? I don't disagree that she could certainly improve her conditioning (90% of incoming freshmen do) but you make it sound as if she's "overweight" which she certainly is not. And does Mathies have conditioning issues or problems with foul trouble as well? She averaged just 2 minutes more than Kelsey.

I'll stick with my assertion: Two freshmen who both had solid first seasons...could have gone either way. I'm glad they split between the coaches and the AP.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 03/17/10 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we want to go by leaders statistically, James was among the leaders in 6 statistical categories versus the 3 that the other two were among the leaders in.

How about number of weeks that said player was freshman of the week? Isn't that when the player was considered to be better than all other Freshman? If so, James was the better player 5 out of the 15 weeks and the other two were better 3 each (However, one of those weeks, Mathies should have gotten the nod over Bone).

If you go by team success, it is clear that Mathies did more to elevate her team than the other two did.

Now, I think the only argument for Bone is because she was the leading rebounder in conference, but I think more of the reason is that some of the writers just went on name recognition, looked at scoring/rebounding and said, "Heck, that makes her the best freshman out there" Is there a list of who actually voted for the award by the AP? It is interesting that this came out the same time as the men's awards, considering that the women have been finished a full week longer. Is it possible that the same individuals voted who voted for the men's team? If not that, is this a national panel?

Just to be clear, my vote would have gone to Mathies, because I thought she was the best freshman of the bunch, but I don't think the difference between James and Bone is as much as some of the others are making it out to be

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/17/10 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great to see that Angie Bjorklund got that first team recognition!
~UK~

PostPosted: 03/17/10 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
If we want to go by leaders statistically, James was among the leaders in 6 statistical categories versus the 3 that the other two were among the leaders in.

How about number of weeks that said player was freshman of the week? Isn't that when the player was considered to be better than all other Freshman? If so, James was the better player 5 out of the 15 weeks and the other two were better 3 each (However, one of those weeks, Mathies should have gotten the nod over Bone).

If you go by team success, it is clear that Mathies did more to elevate her team than the other two did.

Now, I think the only argument for Bone is because she was the leading rebounder in conference, but I think more of the reason is that some of the writers just went on name recognition, looked at scoring/rebounding and said, "Heck, that makes her the best freshman out there" Is there a list of who actually voted for the award by the AP? It is interesting that this came out the same time as the men's awards, considering that the women have been finished a full week longer. Is it possible that the same individuals voted who voted for the men's team? If not that, is this a national panel?

Just to be clear, my vote would have gone to Mathies, because I thought she was the best freshman of the bunch, but I don't think the difference between James and Bone is as much as some of the others are making it out to be

Well said ladydawgs96. James will make waves in the conference before it's over. Bone gets the rebounding award. Wink It will be interesting to see how each progress throughout their careers.

~UK~

PostPosted: 03/17/10 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SouthernFan wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
SouthernFan wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

And exactly how many games did you see her play? I don't disagree that she could certainly improve her conditioning (90% of incoming freshmen do) but you make it sound as if she's "overweight" which she certainly is not. And does Mathies have conditioning issues or problems with foul trouble as well? She averaged just 2 minutes more than Kelsey.

I'll stick with my assertion: Two freshmen who both had solid first seasons...could have gone either way. I'm glad they split between the coaches and the AP.

I saw her in person a few times(regular & SEC tourney) and a few on tv. I didn't infer she's overweight. I've heard from other people the same comment about her having a hard time making it up and down the court after a few plays. If it's not conditioning, perhaps it's effort.

Interesting statistics, Bone at 6'5" had only two more blocks that Mathies at 5'9". Mathies scored more points, had more assists & steals. Bone had more rebounds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: