RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Prahalis not built for conformity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 03/16/10 9:54 am    ::: Prahalis not built for conformity. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/03/16/unstoppable.html?sid=101

Quote:
The child sensed the crowd's excitement immediately.

Leading a fast break, she looked right and passed the basketball left to an open but not necessarily alert teammate. The delighted reaction of adults in the gym quickened her heartbeat and made her want to relive the moment as soon as possible.

In a world built around conformity, Sammy Prahalis realized then that she wasn't the same as everyone else.

"From forever, I've known I was different," Prahalis said. "Even when I was little, I would do no-look passes and I'd get oohs and aahs. Whenever I play, it isn't boring. I always have fun with it."

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/16/10 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually is a very good article. Off the court she is very quiet. Once on the court, she is a completely different player.

GoIndeeeee

PostPosted: 03/16/10 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the rhetorical force of labeling those who don't like her haters. It casts those who don't like her as illogical and precludes her from having to question her own behavior. "I'm just me" is just an argument for not having to be responsible.

bridgehere

PostPosted: 03/16/10 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoIndeeeee wrote:
I love the rhetorical force of labeling those who don't like her haters. It casts those who don't like her as illogical and precludes her from having to question her own behavior. "I'm just me" is just an argument for not having to be responsible.

She is using "haters" as we might use "detractors." It is just the word that has been popular with young people for several years. It seems a little harsh, but it is the "in" word.

She may believe in the way she plays and sees no reason for questioning it. She has been successful, she has fun and people like watching her. Is she self-centered, egotistical, obnoxious at times or in some ways? Maybe, but aren't we all, but we aren't in a spotlight, thank goodness. If her coach is not telling her to play differently, then you can't fault her. Plus, look how successful she is. Remember how young she is.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/16/10 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly don't like watching her, unless her team is losing, because then she acts like an even bigger idiot than usual.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/16/10 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
I certainly don't like watching her, unless her team is losing, because then she acts like an even bigger idiot than usual.

That's the beauty of it, use your remote! It's okay if a guy plays that way but not a woman. She's going to do what's best for her team to win.

justynkarr

PostPosted: 03/16/10 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She can't handle all the negativity.

BlacknGold

PostPosted: 03/16/10 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooo looking forward to her early exit from the tournament. We literally whooped when we saw the Blecheyes in CT's bracket.

PostPosted: 03/16/10 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

That's the beauty of it, use your remote! It's okay if a guy plays that way but not a woman. She's going to do what's best for her team to win.

No, it's also annoying when guys play that way. As a male who follows the women's game closely enough to have posted on this board more than 500 times, that argument doesn't fly with me.

If going on a rampage (after committing obvious fouls) toward a ref and nearly getting called for a technical foul helps her team out in some way, then I guess she's "helping her team." That's not the school of thought I grew up with.

She's a very talented player. No one disputes that. She's one of the better point guards in the country. However, she is incredibly obnoxious and shows huge immaturity on the court at times, much like Ivory Latta, who also was not very well liked among basketball fans other than North Carolina fans.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/16/10 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that she should have gotten a technical against Iowa. In the second half the coaches put her on the bench and told her to calm down. I do think that Foster will work on her "yelling at the refs" as she gets older.

As far as playing UCONN, everyone's going to lose to them so why would that upset us.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/16/10 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
I do think that Foster will work on her "yelling at the refs" as she gets older.
This is key. It really IS a coach's duty to "help" his/her players grow as People (..who are athletes). I always remember how Walz helped Angel McCoughtry ('member HER?) by showing her a video collection of her many negative facial expressions of disgust, usually directed at others. By her senior year, she had "grown" a ton. I'm sure Prahalis will do much the same. She's a remarkable talent.

BlacknGold

PostPosted: 03/16/10 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
I agree that she should have gotten a technical against Iowa. In the second half the coaches put her on the bench and told her to calm down. I do think that Foster will work on her "yelling at the refs" as she gets older.

As far as playing UCONN, everyone's going to lose to them so why would that upset us.

Foster? Teach? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: