RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What were they thinking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/15/10 8:59 pm    ::: What were they thinking? Reply Reply with quote

1. No USC, but Carolina, UALR and UWGB?

2. Mississippi State as a 7 seed over Temple, UCLA, Dayton and Iowa?

3. Iowa State as a 4 seed over Michigan State and Georgetown?

Any others?

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yah is anyone else thinking possible upset of UCLA over Nebraska? I AM

KAjunRaider

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they were thinking right

UALR deserved to be in-- 21 consecutive victories-- that is tough to do in any league or conference

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

Really? From what I saw, not a chance

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

Why? Would you have thought this if Nebraska hadn't lost in the Big 12 tournament and was still undefeated?

I don't think Nebraska will win the national title. But I see them at least getting to the Sweet 16.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UALR was 16-0 v. RPI 201+ and 8-2 v. RPI 101-200. It's not very hard to win 21 games against that competition, and their only RPI top 50 win was against Middle Tennessee.

USC beat Texas, Mississippi State, Fresno State and UCLA, four RPI top 50 teams that made the tournament.

And even if you think UALR deserved to get in ahead of USC, that still leaves UWGB and Carolina.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

St. Johns as a 6 seed is a little surprising to me. I think they are better than a 6

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
St. Johns as a 6 seed is a little surprising to me. I think they are better than a 6

And Princeton won't be an easy 11 seed.

KAjunRaider

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
UALR was 16-0 v. RPI 201+ and 8-2 v. RPI 101-200. It's not very hard to win 21 games against that competition, and their only RPI top 50 win was against Middle Tennessee.

USC beat Texas, Mississippi State, Fresno State and UCLA, four RPI top 50 teams that made the tournament.

And even if you think UALR deserved to get in ahead of USC, that still leaves UWGB and Carolina.

Shouldn't be about the $$$$. Tell some of these teams to play in Little Rock and Murfreesboro and we'll get some quality wins. We at MT got UK and UT-k in Murfreesboro this year due to CPS being best friends with Rick Insell, and UK's assistant is Matt Insell. No one else would play us, home or away.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/15/10 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

Shocked they'll have to get past nc state first, and i don't see that happening.

PostPosted: 03/15/10 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KAjunRaider wrote:

Shouldn't be about the $$$$. Tell some of these teams to play in Little Rock and Murfreesboro and we'll get some quality wins. We at MT got UK and UT-k in Murfreesboro this year due to CPS being best friends with Rick Insell, and UK's assistant is Matt Insell. No one else would play us, home or away.

UALR lost at a neutral site to Drake (RPI 153) and on the road to South Alabama (RPI 194), and lost its one home game against a major conference team - Mississippi, which wasn't on anyone's list of teams in contention for the tournament. I'm sympathetic to non-major teams, but when (a) you lose games to bad teams and (b) don't win home games against mediocre major college opponents, you really don't have a great case.

hooper1

PostPosted: 03/15/10 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
KAjunRaider wrote:

UALR lost at a neutral site to Drake (RPI 153) and on the road to South Alabama (RPI 194), and lost its one home game against a major conference team - Mississippi, which wasn't on anyone's list of teams in contention for the tournament. I'm sympathetic to non-major teams, but when (a) you lose games to bad teams and (b) don't win home games against mediocre major college opponents, you really don't have a great case.

What the hell is UALR?

Bretter

PostPosted: 03/15/10 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:
What the hell is UALR?

Very Happy University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

njjosh wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:

Not to mention the fact that if they win that one, they'll probably have to play Florida St.. IN Tallahassee. I want to pick St. John's but the odds seem to be against them..

xzchief

PostPosted: 03/15/10 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UALR is Arkansas-Little Rock.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/16/10 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Shocked they'll have to get past nc state first, and i don't see that happening.

I think they're a pretty evenly matched group. It could go either way.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/16/10 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:

You probably heard me cussin' as soon as they revealed that pod. Congrats, St. John's! You put together the best season in program history! Now you get to play the toughest #11 seed in the field! And then if you pull that game out of your ass (which we might not- we do NOT match up well to Princeton), you get to play Florida State in Tallahassee!

PostPosted: 03/16/10 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm no Cooper fan, but USC got screwed.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/16/10 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone REALLY think UALR has a better shot at beating one of these teams than USC, or even BC for that matter!

leeshajo

PostPosted: 03/16/10 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me personally... I hope every team that got in from a XXX-major with an at large (and a few more like the SDSUs, MTSU, Zags, Zaviers) WIN and send a message that the committee needs to be taking those schools who put together great seasons and deserve a shot.

Oral Roberts, deserved a look by the committee and they didn't even get a flinch.

Ok end soapbox. Wink

PostPosted: 03/16/10 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Does anyone REALLY think UALR has a better shot at beating one of these teams than USC, or even BC for that matter!

I think Arky-LR has a good shot at beating Georgia Tech. That's about as good a matchup as they could have asked for.

PostPosted: 03/16/10 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

leeshajo wrote:
For me personally... I hope every team that got in from a XXX-major with an at large (and a few more like the SDSUs, MTSU, Zags, Zaviers) WIN and send a message that the committee needs to be taking those schools who put together great seasons and deserve a shot.

Oral Roberts, deserved a look by the committee and they didn't even get a flinch.

Ok end soapbox. Wink

____________________XX

GoIndeeeee

PostPosted: 03/16/10 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is easy to have a great season when you have fodder and fodder-lite on the schedule. I'd prefer to see the best teams play in the tournament. I do think that Michigan, USC, and BC present much more interesting match ups than Green Bay and UALR. I'd rather see interesting basketball than watch the NCAA try to prop up mid majors and below.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/16/10 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

leeshajo wrote:

RPI 142 and losses to Missouri State, North Dakota State, IPFW (twice), and best win over South Dakota State. It's hard to see how they would have gotten a look.

RPI is not a precise tool, but when a team has an RPI that's 75 places from the last team that got into the tournament, there's not any real argument that it deserves to get serious consideration.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/16/10 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

365 days ago, who thought that Ball State would beat TN?

caune

PostPosted: 03/16/10 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

If you mean USC as in University of Southern California than yeah. They aren't very good on most days and their coaching sucks Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: