RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seton Hall
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmyutah

PostPosted: 03/15/10 8:06 pm    ::: Seton Hall Reply Reply with quote

Coach Mangina Resigned

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/15/10 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's apparently been kicked upstairs.

So, anybody know of an assistant who's willing to take too little money to coach an undersupported program? (Oh, and good luck keeping the two decent recruits that Mangina signed this year.)

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't Like her still with the program but I'll take it. I would talk to Iona. Bozella is a Seton Hall Alumn, has done a very good job in New Rochelle but keeps getting jammed behind Marist and doesn't have the Market (Still NYC essentially) Or resources (Iona is still a COLLEGE not a university, they have a very low enrollment to draw off of) to go much past. He can recruit, has alot of Mangina's old foreign pipelines (Which he kinda took away from Phyllis a little) and well he can hit the ground running. He'd be my A candidate and I could see him being sick of Iona, he's truly taken them as far as they can go unless Georgis jumps.

If the guys with the shirts on backwards can look past the out, I could see Sue as well (Not like she wants to stay at St. Francis). Remember their current pipeline needs to be newark. Richie's son is a MAJOR fundraiser in the HSs there. So an Ex Lib may be a good Choice. For this reason I'd also give a ring to Jeff House (Besides we know how well the last male Virginia assistant worked Wink )

PostPosted: 03/15/10 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HC25, will any of those people take what Seton Hall would be willing to pay? (And I like the Sue Wicks idea, but I think an out female head coach would be a tough sell at a Catholic school.) I have to say having Mangina staying in the program signals to me that they're not changing their ways.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/16/10 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given that at Sue's at SFNY (A catholic school) as an assistant i'm sure it still would be an upgrade. Bozella would likely be a match in pay given that it is MAAC to Big East...you are correct about Jeff House and others.

I did reread that, it was undetermined position within the program which is codespeak for hiding in a corner somewhere.

PostPosted: 03/16/10 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jeff House is temporarily out of coaching for family reasons. Unless something changes on that front, I doubt he'll be throwing his hat into the ring, even though I agree he'd be a good candidate for SH.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/16/10 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You'd have to be out of your mind if you were a promising assistant to take this job.

No support, no indication there ever will be support, and playing in the Big East?

Adds up to no success and no future.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 03/16/10 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what masochists are going to submit their resumes.
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/16/10 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Jeff House is temporarily out of coaching for family reasons. Unless something changes on that front, I doubt he'll be throwing his hat into the ring, even though I agree he'd be a good candidate for SH.

I heard he was looking for HC and HC only and the family thing was true but he was not totally off the market...heard this more than one place.

PostPosted: 03/16/10 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's an article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=4998961

And from the official press release from the school:
http://www.shupirates.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12600&ATCLID=204909169

I guess after 25 years, she's had enough. So I wonder if the Athletic Director really cares enough to stress winning for their women's program. But if they hire one of the assistant coaches, then tells me they couldn't care less. Sad

StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/16/10 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
I wonder what masochists are going to submit their resumes.

Well, former UMass coach Marnie Dacko is now available....

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/16/10 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ive said it on article comments...the fact stringer is getting pissed at a loser who gave up on her team like Mangina leaving makes me worried about Stringer...are you kidding...well techincally you didn't play SHU this year (You were suspended) but did you not SEE how bad they were. I'm sure Geno's comments were the last straw.

PostPosted: 03/17/10 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know almost nothing about Seton Hall, so here are some dumb questions ...

1) Is high school girls' basketball at all important? Do girls play volleyball or softball or field hockey instead? Are there any strong club teams? In other words, what's the level of interest in the high school game in the area?

2) Have the Seton Hall women ever drawn consistent crowds?

3) Have the Seton Hall women ever had three years in a row of 20-win seasons? 17-win seasons?

If I were the AD, what I'd want to determine before I invested in a coach would be the potential of the program. If Seton Hall spent $400,000 a year on a coach, and the coach then produced three 20-win seasons, would that result in significant fan and regional interest in years three and beyond? If the answer is yes, then spend the money; if it's clearly no, then it doesn't seem worth it.

Of course in most cases, it's really hard to tell what the potential is, so there's an element of risk in investing in women's basketball.

PostPosted: 03/17/10 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
(Besides we know how well the last male Virginia assistant worked Wink )

So well that they want to fire him.

And yes I know, different sport and different era. But still, the whole "Geno did it, and so can Jeff House" insinuation is ridiculous. Jeff may well become a good or even a great head coach, but he's no Geno. 95% of being Geno is getting your hands on players that he covets. He's who he is mostly because he can get the players he wants. If he were truly the GOAT, he wouldn't have needed to depend on otherworldly talents like Taurasi and Moore/Charles for four of those six championships. I don't think he could coach Nebraska's roster to a championship, but I digress.

Long story short--Jeff isn't the recruiter that Geno is, so it's hard for me to see him measuring up to Geno as a head coach.

Mathies to LA 2013
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 03/17/10 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

1) Is high school girls' basketball at all important? Do girls play volleyball or softball or field hockey instead? Are there any strong club teams? In other words, what's the level of interest in the high school game in the area?

In Jersey? Hell in New York? I doubt half the girls in areas that Seton Hall SHOULD be recruiting in even know sports other than basketball and soccer exist and I'm being kind about soccer. Club ball is as cut throat, competitive and evil as ever. High school playoff games probably have more paid ticket sales than the Liberty and I guarantee more people know Piph played for Bergtraum than know who Shameka plays for. Not to mention, Seton Hall plays some of its games at The Rock in Newark. All those girls do out there is fight and play basketball. Hell, some do both at the same time. More importantly, most big Jersey high school games are played at The Rock. It's not like Seton Hall is in West Wherethefuck. They've got 4 states to choose from where a kid could still be considered "local" - NY, NJ, CT & PA. I'm not buying that Seton Hall can't build a program just by riding around Camden, Newark, Jersey City and Paterson alone, not to mention the accessibility of Philly and NYC.

Plus Seton Hall has a huge advantage over most local schools in that it's close enough to be home yet far enough and closed off enough to be away.

I don't see Seton Hall's situation any different than St. John's. When KBA got locals, she won. When locals started going to 'Cuse, they built a program. Even these crazy ass kids and their entourages know not everyone can get burn for UConn. Nor does everyone want to go to Rutgers. But even those 2nd tier kids aren't going to play somewhere knowing the coach can probably collect food stamps and the administration makes Jersey politicians look kind and caring.
ASWAD AMANDLA

PostPosted: 03/17/10 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
ClayK wrote:

In Jersey? Hell in New York? I doubt half the girls in areas that Seton Hall SHOULD be recruiting in even know sports other than basketball and soccer exist and I'm being kind about soccer. Club ball is as cut throat, competitive and evil as ever. High school playoff games probably have more paid ticket sales than the Liberty and I guarantee more people know Piph played for Bergtraum than know who Shameka plays for. Not to mention, Seton Hall plays some of its games at The Rock in Newark. All those girls do out there is fight and play basketball. Hell, some do both at the same time. More importantly, most big Jersey high school games are played at The Rock. It's not like Seton Hall is in West Wherethefuck. They've got 4 states to choose from where a kid could still be considered "local" - NY, NJ, CT & PA. I'm not buying that Seton Hall can't build a program just by riding around Camden, Newark, Jersey City and Paterson alone, not to mention the accessibility of Philly and NYC.

Plus Seton Hall has a huge advantage over most local schools in that it's close enough to be home yet far enough and closed off enough to be away.

I don't see Seton Hall's situation any different than St. John's. When KBA got locals, she won. When locals started going to 'Cuse, they built a program. Even these crazy ass kids and their entourages know not everyone can get burn for UConn. Nor does everyone want to go to Rutgers. But even those 2nd tier kids aren't going to play somewhere knowing the coach can probably collect food stamps and the administration makes Jersey politicians look kind and caring.

Most likely the most relevant post I've ever seen on anything Seton Hall!

PostPosted: 03/17/10 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh oh, Bobby Gonzalez goes today too, but not for wins & losses.

He didn't "embody the ideals that make us all so proud"

It's Seton Freaking Hall? What ideals? LOSING? They haven't done anything since PJ was there!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-setonhall-gonzalezfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

colt13

PostPosted: 03/17/10 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

3) Have the Seton Hall women ever had three years in a row of 20-win seasons? 17-win seasons?

If I were the AD, what I'd want to determine before I invested in a coach would be the potential of the program. If Seton Hall spent $400,000 a year on a coach, and the coach then produced three 20-win seasons, would that result in significant fan and regional interest in years three and beyond? If the answer is yes, then spend the money; if it's clearly no, then it doesn't seem worth it.

Of course in most cases, it's really hard to tell what the potential is, so there's an element of risk in investing in women's basketball.

With the SUNY system, Seton Hall can go the JUCO ranks if they want to jumpstart the program.

About the 20 win seasons? Yes and no. They actually have had 4 consecutive 20 win seasons, however that was from 78-81 under Sue Dilley. In the Mangina era, 94 & 95 are the only back to back seasons over 20, while 89-91 is the only 3 season stretch of 17 wins or more.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/17/10 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
With the SUNY system, Seton Hall can go the JUCO ranks if they want to jumpstart the program.

About the 20 win seasons? Yes and no. They actually have had 4 consecutive 20 win seasons, however that was from 78-81 under Sue Dilley. In the Mangina era, 94 & 95 are the only back to back seasons over 20, while 89-91 is the only 3 season stretch of 17 wins or more.

? to the first half. Not sure what the link is between a school in Jersey and the State University of New York, which, IIRC, is split between D-I and D-II.

The Hall has a tendency to start off decently and make everyone think they've got their shit together, and then drop like a stone.

PostPosted: 03/17/10 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remind me. Is this one of those situations where signed recruits can change schools w/o the sit-out-the yr penalty, due to coaching change?

Last edited by shadowboxer on 03/18/10 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/17/10 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a New York Daily News article that indicates that high school coach Ruth Lovelace might be open to the idea of coaching at Seton Hall.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_lovelace_open_to_hall.html

I don't know if it is a good idea to get a high school coach going straight to coaching at college, but I suppose you gotta start somewhere. But to my knowledge, Lovelace has no experience in recruiting or any of the other duties (other than X's and O's) coaching the college game.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/17/10 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Ive said it on article comments...the fact stringer is getting pissed at a loser who gave up on her team like Mangina leaving makes me worried about Stringer...are you kidding...well techincally you didn't play SHU this year (You were suspended) but did you not SEE how bad they were. I'm sure Geno's comments were the last straw.

CVS said something nice about a Big East colleague. That's it. (And you'll notice she didn't say a word about the quality of the team.) I think you're overanalyzing this.

And I was surprised, too - I'd never have thought Seton Hall was willing to pull the plug, either.

colt13

PostPosted: 03/17/10 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
colt13 wrote:

? to the first half. Not sure what the link is between a school in Jersey and the State University of New York, which, IIRC, is split between D-I and D-II.

The Hall has a tendency to start off decently and make everyone think they've got their shit together, and then drop like a stone.

I was just trying to say, that there so many schools to get players from in the tri-state area.

NationalInsider

PostPosted: 03/17/10 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Seton Hall could get in with Exodus they would win point blank....look at Syracuse and St Johns....they've gotten the good Exodus kids (and Rutgers until recently) and won. They havnt won big but their coaches have got contract extentions.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/18/10 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Here's a New York Daily News article that indicates that high school coach Ruth Lovelace might be open to the idea of coaching at Seton Hall.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_lovelace_open_to_hall.html

I don't know if it is a good idea to get a high school coach going straight to coaching at college, but I suppose you gotta start somewhere. But to my knowledge, Lovelace has no experience in recruiting or any of the other duties (other than X's and O's) coaching the college game.

I saw this too...note she's a HS BOYS coach so she may have more knowledge of the recruiting process from the other side.

I would put her as option 2 behind Bozella, both are SHU alumns and I do think that matters at a place like SHU.

I'd still go after a proven HC like Bozella first...but if he says no...it's a good out of the Box idea that at least would be different and with them now needing money to go after (Rumor is McCaffrey at Siena or Pecora from Hofstra) to replace the not so great Gonzo it would be a good value bet that still would get the Big East off their back.

I agree this is the same scenario as St. Johns in the early 2000s...I'm sure the Big East has their eyes on this search...they were THAT bad.

Any B&G fans out there who know more about Lovelace? As I said, it is interesting and not a bad idea. I'd go there before trying to poach assistants who may have no desire to leave.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: