RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2010 Big West Tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bricklayer

PostPosted: 03/13/10 5:18 pm    ::: 2010 Big West Tournament Reply Reply with quote

Good one going in Anaheim. Riverside leading top seed Davis 47-42 early in the second. I've got it on primeticket here. Highlanders turning it into a 3-point shootout in the second and doing a good job breaking up davis' backdoor passes.

bricklayer

PostPosted: 03/13/10 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Riverside hangs on, 71-67!

Davis almost came back from a double-digit deficit after ricerside's leafing scorers both fouled out, going on a 10-0 run near the end to pull within one with less than a minute. Aggies had a few chances, but a blown donaghe layup after a steal, then were unable to pull down a rebound after a good defensive posession with less than 20 seconds remaining.

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/13/10 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bricklayer wrote:
Riverside hangs on, 71-67!

Davis almost came back from a double-digit deficit after ricerside's leafing scorers both fouled out, going on a 10-0 run near the end to pull within one with less than a minute. Aggies had a few chances, but a blown donaghe layup after a steal, then were unable to pull down a rebound after a good defensive posession with less than 20 seconds remaining.

UCSB had to start play on Wednesday (oh my I hope they get it together earlier next year). We did great in the first two games & then ran out of gas or perhaps I should say got the turnover bug against Davis. The last time UCSB was not in the championship game was 1996. I'm glad Riverside won. I am not a fan of Davis. Good, exciting championship game. Go Highlanders! Our men are playing for the championship right now. Go Gauchos!

It's wait til next year for the women. We should be very good, but you never know.

bricklayer

PostPosted: 03/13/10 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:

The last time UCSB was not in the championship game was 1996.

it was very weird to be watching the big west final and NOT be watching ucsb. Tough season for y'all but seemed like the gauchos were turning it on late in the season. Looking forward to what coach g does next year.

Hey, 1996, no gauchos in championship game? No wonder we actually won the big west tourney that year. Smile

cattekin

PostPosted: 03/14/10 9:06 am    ::: 2010 Big West Tournament Reply Reply with quote

The unusual parity in the Big West this season — plus the fact that I traveled to an equal number of Pacific, UC Davis, and Cal Poly home games rather than focusing on just one of those teams — made this a remarkably good year for covering that league.

At the tournament, I was never been so proud of the Big West collectively. Every team showed up, the right teams won the games, each press conference was honest and revealing.

Haven't had a minute to write about the championship game yet. After the UCR press conference, it was straight to the airport — wish I'd known the Davis kids were flying home at the same time; I would've hopped on their bus — then right to bed.

I haven't had a cup of coffee since Monday. I think I'll go to the coffee shop and write about the last 15 seconds of the final, now that I've had 16 hours to think about it.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/14/10 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article from today's Sacramento Bee on the game:

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/03/14/2605778/uc-davis-women-fall-to-riverside.html

Quote:
Reality will set in for UC Davis soon enough. The WNIT field will be announced Monday. Opening-round play will be Wednesday through Friday.

"Believe me, no disrespect to the WNIT, but it's just hard to think about that right now," [UC Davis head coach Sandy] Simpson said. "I told the players time will give them perspective on what we've accomplished to this point. We still have a chance to put a nice stamp on this season.

"We'll take a couple days, we'll regroup, and then we'll be ready to fly the colors of the Big West in the WNIT and try to do some damage there."

Good luck to the UC Davis Aggies in the WNIT! Very Happy

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Article from today's Sacramento Bee on the game:

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/03/14/2605778/uc-davis-women-fall-to-riverside.html

Quote:
Reality will set in for UC Davis soon enough. The WNIT field will be announced Monday. Opening-round play will be Wednesday through Friday.

"Believe me, no disrespect to the WNIT, but it's just hard to think about that right now," [UC Davis head coach Sandy] Simpson said. "I told the players time will give them perspective on what we've accomplished to this point. We still have a chance to put a nice stamp on this season.

"We'll take a couple days, we'll regroup, and then we'll be ready to fly the colors of the Big West in the WNIT and try to do some damage there."

Good luck to the UC Davis Aggies in the WNIT! Very Happy
Yes indeed!!

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bricklayer wrote:
sbjules wrote:

it was very weird to be watching the big west final and NOT be watching ucsb. Tough season for y'all but seemed like the gauchos were turning it on late in the season. Looking forward to what coach g does next year.

Hey, 1996, no gauchos in championship game? No wonder we actually won the big west tourney that year. Smile

UOP, right?

bricklayer

PostPosted: 03/15/10 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
bricklayer wrote:
sbjules wrote:

UOP, right?

*digs out media guide* yep, we beat pacific to win the big west tourney and get our only ncaa auto bid ever that year. that was our worst-to-first year, but we prolly owed a lot of that to uop - there are a lot of "L"s next to the "UC Santa Barbara"s in our results from the 90s.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: