RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Anne Donovan at the Big 12 tourney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giraffespots

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:17 am    ::: Anne Donovan at the Big 12 tourney Reply Reply with quote

Ok so I am at the tourney here in KC. My Sooners weren't playing so I was out in the hall while the game was being played to get a coke. Not many folks in the hall.

I was getting my coke when Anne Donovan came up behind me to get something. One of the workers from somewhere had come to the stand to chat with some coworkers (they didn't really have much to do while everyone is in watching the game). Anyway she looks over and sees Anne and says to her "Say, how tall are you?" Anne just kinda looks at her and says 6-8. the lady goes WOW!!! that's tall. Did you used to play basketball or something?

I nearly dropped my coke. So I leaned over to her and I said quietly, That's Anne Donovan. Well, this lady just blinked at me; then smiled and said Oh. Who's that?

So I told her who Anne was and is and why she was there. the lady's eyes kept getting bigger and bigger. By this time, Anne had beat it out of there. So I got my coke and headed back toward the arena. This lady walked with me and said Are you serious??? She peeked into the arena to see if Anne was around. then she sheepishly grinned at me and said Maybe I just better go sit down.

It was just too much.

PostPosted: 03/13/10 8:25 am    ::: Re: Anne Donovan at the Big 12 tourney Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
Ok so I am at the tourney here in KC. My Sooners weren't playing so I was out in the hall while the game was being played to get a coke. Not many folks in the hall.

I was getting my coke when Anne Donovan came up behind me to get something. One of the workers from somewhere had come to the stand to chat with some coworkers (they didn't really have much to do while everyone is in watching the game). Anyway she looks over and sees Anne and says to her "Say, how tall are you?" Anne just kinda looks at her and says 6-8. the lady goes WOW!!! that's tall. Did you used to play basketball or something?

I nearly dropped my coke. So I leaned over to her and I said quietly, That's Anne Donovan. Well, this lady just blinked at me; then smiled and said Oh. Who's that?

So I told her who Anne was and is and why she was there. the lady's eyes kept getting bigger and bigger. By this time, Anne had beat it out of there. So I got my coke and headed back toward the arena. This lady walked with me and said Are you serious??? She peeked into the arena to see if Anne was around. then she sheepishly grinned at me and said Maybe I just better go sit down.

It was just too much.

I love Ann D., and I cannot imagine how annoying it must be to have people saying that all the time. That same interaction must happen 20 times a day, not to mention the constant staring. Imagine how hard that must have been at 13, 14 years old, or even now at 40 something. I'm 6' tall, my kids father is 6'3'' - I find myself worrying a lot about how tall they could get - just for that reason alone. And at this point, they hate sports, especially basketball. But I think they are doing that to spite me....

Howee

PostPosted: 03/13/10 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I once rode in an elevator with Ann D. It was at the ('88?) Pan Am games in Indy, when she was still a player. Aside from her height, I just remember her *blank* stare, sorta like a deer in headlights.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/10 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably when you're that 'prominent' you learn to look as blank as possible to try to avoid the stupid questions.

So who would she be watching: Kelsey Griffin (gone before our pick), Andrea Riley (gone before our pick), Alison Lacey (not playing because of pneumonia) - so I guess Brittney Raven or Tanisha Smith - maybe Amanda Thompson (for her enthusiasts). Then there's Ashley Sweat who has publicly said she won't go to the W. Anybody else even remotely on the radar? Other seniors: Jessra Johnson, Amanda Hanneman, Cory Montgomery, Yvonne Turner, Ny Stephenson, Abi Olajuan, Ernie Williams, Arriaran, T. Cunningham, Murphree. All pretty good as college players but I don't see anyone there to excite much W interest.

bridgehere

PostPosted: 03/13/10 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Probably when you're that 'prominent' you learn to look as blank as possible to try to avoid the stupid questions.

So who would she be watching: Kelsey Griffin (gone before our pick), Andrea Riley (gone before our pick), Alison Lacey (not playing because of pneumonia) - so I guess Brittney Raven or Tanisha Smith - maybe Amanda Thompson (for her enthusiasts). Then there's Ashley Sweat who has publicly said she won't go to the W. Anybody else even remotely on the radar? Other seniors: Jessra Johnson, Amanda Hanneman, Cory Montgomery, Yvonne Turner, Ny Stephenson, Abi Olajuan, Ernie Williams, Arriaran, T. Cunningham, Murphree. All pretty good as college players but I don't see anyone there to excite much W interest.

I would guess Amanda Thompson would certainly be among the ones she is there to watch. You have to have actually watched Amanda play for the last four years to realize how good she is. This year she she is healthy and does it all. I think she makes the cut on a W team. Guess we will see soon.

Last edited by bridgehere on 03/13/10 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/10 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

There's always the possibility of a trade, or looking ahead to next year's draft. There's also the never to be overlooked possibility of someone falling further than expected.

PostPosted: 03/13/10 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:

I would guess Amanda Thompson would certainly be among the ones she is there to watch. You have to have actually watched Amanda play for the last four years to realize how good she is. This year she she is healthy and does it all. I think she makes the cut on a W team. Guess we will see in soon.

I'm teasing a bit. She really has upped her game a lot this year. I think she will get drafted by some team but do have doubts about her making the cut. She has to get a little lucky about where she goes and then has to show very very well. It's not impossible.

Chip

PostPosted: 03/13/10 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Guess I'll get on the Tanisha Smith band wagon..luv to see her put some fire in that Liberty back court

pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/10 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Other seniors: Jessra Johnson, Amanda Hanneman, Cory Montgomery, Yvonne Turner, Ny Stephenson, Abi Olajuan, Ernie Williams, Arriaran, T. Cunningham, Murphree. All pretty good as college players but I don't see anyone there to excite much W interest.

Cunningham is the most likely candidate of that bunch to get drafted.

PostPosted: 03/13/10 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chip, Tanisha does have game. Her problem is finishing. I'm not sure we could take another player like that. We already have Essence. Of course at #13 it's possible she will be best on board.

Bretter

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has she been in town for the whole tournament, or just today? There's plenty of prospects to check out but obviously if she waited until now she's a little more selective into what she's looking for..

Do head coaches usually do that much scouting, especially all the way out in the Big 12?

bridgehere

PostPosted: 03/13/10 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
bridgehere wrote:

I would guess Amanda Thompson would certainly be among the ones she is there to watch. You have to have actually watched Amanda play for the last four years to realize how good she is. This year she she is healthy and does it all. I think she makes the cut on a W team. Guess we will see in soon.

I'm teasing a bit. She really has upped her game a lot this year. I think she will get drafted by some team but do have doubts about her making the cut. She has to get a little lucky about where she goes and then has to show very very well. It's not impossible.

I know we all don't believe the same about different players. I respect what others have to say and listen to learn.

I really am not a homer. It has only been about the last seven weeks that I have believed Amanda would get drafted and make the cut.
I can hardly wait to see what happens. Smile

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/13/10 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bretter wrote:
Do head coaches usually do that much scouting, especially all the way out in the Big 12?

What you view the Big 12 as a no talent conference ? Shocked

Going to Conf tourney allows coaches to see bunches of players from different schools all at one time over a couple of days. Obvously later in the tourneys the most talented teams are going at it. Also they aren't just looking at seniors they're looking at prospects down the road. W coaches will be out & about during the NCAAs as well.

PostPosted: 03/13/10 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
Bretter wrote:

What you view the Big 12 as a no talent conference ? Shocked

Going to Conf tourney allows coaches to see bunches of players from different schools all at one time over a couple of days. Obvously later in the tourneys the most talented teams are going at it. Also they aren't just looking at seniors they're looking at prospects down the road. W coaches will be out & about during the NCAAs as well.

That's not what I meant Very Happy Trust me, I know how talented Big 12 players are and have to be to win night-in and night-out. The post was coming from someone who really doesn't know that much about scouting, especially on the WNBA level. Didn't know if they had scouters or if coaches handled most, if not all of it.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/13/10 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bretter wrote:
That's not what I meant Very Happy Trust me ...The post was coming from someone who really doesn't know that much about scouting, especially on the WNBA level. Didn't know if they had scouters or if coaches handled most, if not all of it.

Phew Wink

W teams don't have tons of scouts. The W is low budget compared to mens pro sports where there is a scout on every corner. So yes coaches & other staff people are out scouting. From what I know there are scouts out there and they may be scouting & give input to more then 1 team.

PostPosted: 03/13/10 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anne has been there all week. Other WNBA people that I have seen is Brian Agler, Steven Key, Nolan Richardson and I sat 3 seats down from Jen Gillom. I only actually saw Jen today, all the others I saw earlier in the week. So I would say there are quite a few. Previous years Patty Coyle and Dan Hughes were always there.

Nolan Richardson came and stood by me when Steve Key came over to talk to him. They talked a good 15 minutes about trades, players, what they need. I just stood there nonchalantly listening. Quite interesting.

PostPosted: 03/13/10 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is Nolan the complete idiot we all think he is women basketball wise?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/10 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:

Standing next to Key might make him seem competent.

PostPosted: 03/14/10 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I once rode in an elevator with Ann D. It was at the ('88?) Pan Am games in Indy, when she was still a player. Aside from her height, I just remember her *blank* stare, sorta like a deer in headlights.

It was 87. I was there for all but I think one day that I had to work and couldn't get off. If you were at Market Square, we most likely crossed paths.

I remember going to Indy for the Fever kick off party at the Circle. Nell was the coach, but wasn't coaching that first year. I was just walking around killing time and saw Nell and Anne walking up the street from the direction of Conseco. I was kind of acquainted with Nell and said something like hey, I've got a question for you. She excused us from Anne and led me away a little and I asked her if Anne was going to be the coach of the Fever while she was gone. She didn't actually say yes, just something like oh she's just in town for a day or so. Something vague, but I came away from that about 99% sure Anne was going to be coach. Smile

Then during the rally Nell said to turn to the person next to you and give them a high five (because we were going to be doing it a lot during the season and she wanted us to get some practice). Becasue I don't really like crowds I was standing at the back of the crowd. I was standing next to Anne. Very Happy

giraffespots

PostPosted: 03/14/10 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

he did say to Steve that he was at a major disadvantage because he doesn't really know the players and the ones coming up. He said he was trying to look at everyone to get a feel for things.

He didn't really name names or anything but he did try to get Steve to tell him what he was looking for. Apparently Toliver is the only one they are trying to "shop" but Key did say that any trade would have to be equitable for both sides.

PostPosted: 03/14/10 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
DTP wrote:

Standing next to Key might make him seem competent.

Haha, that actually went across my mind after I posted that.

Chip

PostPosted: 03/14/10 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Chip, Tanisha does have game. Her problem is finishing. I'm not sure we could take another player like that. We already have Essence. Of course at #13 it's possible she will be best on board.

My point exactly

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 03/14/10 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
Anne has been there all week. Other WNBA people that I have seen is Brian Agler, Steven Key, Nolan Richardson and I sat 3 seats down from Jen Gillom. I only actually saw Jen today, all the others I saw earlier in the week. So I would say there are quite a few. Previous years Patty Coyle and Dan Hughes were always there.

According to her blog post this week, Mystics Head Coach Julie Plank was there as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: