RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Should Nebraska be Ranked in the Top Four?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/09/10 7:15 pm    ::: Should Nebraska be Ranked in the Top Four? Reply Reply with quote

My two cents opines UConn, Stanford, Tennessee and Duke.......

I'd like to see Nebraska make it to the top four in the NCAA Championship playoffs but I don't think they will make. (I hope I'm wrong........)

I don't think they'll make it out of the Big 12 Conference Championship, not because they are not a good team but because their schedule in the Big 12 was mainly against the North teams.

Nebraska did beat each of the teams in the South but either at home and/or against these teams with injuries and new freshmen.

They most likely will have to face Texas A&M and Oklahoma barring any upsets.

Look for A&M or Oklahoma to pull it out.

I'd like to say Texas but that would be a pipe dream of a larger magnitude requiring divine intervention. They could win or lose against any team in the tournament.

Last edited by RavenDog on 03/15/10 12:27 am; edited 2 times in total
bridgehere

PostPosted: 03/09/10 10:06 pm    ::: Re: Will Nebraska be Ranked in the Top Four? Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
My two cents opines UConn, Stanford, Tennessee and Duke.......

I'd like to see Nebraska make it to the top four in the NCAA Championship playoffs but I don't think they will make. (I hope I'm wrong........)

I don't think they'll make it out of the Big 12 Conference Championship, not because they are not a good team but because their schedule in the Big 12 was mainly against the North teams.

Nebraska did beat each of the teams in the South but either at home and/or against these teams with injuries and new freshmen.

They most likely will have to face Texas A&M and Oklahoma barring any upsets.

Look for A&M or Oklahoma to pull it out.

I'd like to say Texas but that would be a pipe dream of a larger magnitude requiring divine intervention. They could win or lose against any team in the tournament.

I think they will definitley get a #1 seed if they make it to the finals of the Big 12 tourney. They played ou late in the season at ou and beat them by sixteen. The last 4 minutes or so Neb took total control. They beat Iowa State who can be really tough and are having a good year. They beat all the South teams. The South has some good teams. If they actually watch Nebraska play, no way they don't get a number 1 seed.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/09/10 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Stanford or Nebraska have to win their respective tourneys to hold on to #1 seeds. But I'm not on the committee. To me they've done the heavy lifting. Not that I expect either team to coast, I don't. But, this wkend doesn't weigh as heavy on them as it does for some other teams.

PostPosted: 03/09/10 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Nebraska is a #1 seed.

My breakdown of seedings(1-10 only):

UCONN
Stanford
Tennessee
Nebraska

Duke
Notre Dame
Xavier
Ohio St.

Oklahoma
Florida St.
West Virginia
Texas A&M

Iowa St.
Georgetown
Gonzaga
Hartford

St. John's
Kentucky
Texas
Oklahoma St.

Baylor
Middle Tennessee St.
LSU
UCLA

Georgia
Temple
Virginia
Vanderbilt

Iowa
Georgia Tech
Michigan St.
Mississippi St.

Wisconsin-Green Bay
Fresno St.
Princeton
North Carolina St.

Rutgers
Wisconsin
Dayton
Arkansas-Little Rock

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/09/10 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way Hartford gets a #4. Even if Beverly hadn't gotten hurt and they beat Vermont by 30 points on Saturday, no way an America East team gets a seed anywhere near that high. Same with Gonzaga.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/09/10 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Iowa St.
Georgetown
Gonzaga
Hartford

Shocked
Oh my, if the Lady Zags got a #4 seed, I would just die...

I love my Bulldogs, but I think the AP has been a bit generous with their ranking of the Bulldogs. I don't think the Selection Committee will be so generous, I'm just hoping for an 8 seed.

PostPosted: 03/09/10 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad, your seeding starts getting out of whack with Xavier. Just a couple of examples:

In the last ten years, only one team with an RPI of 26 (where Hartford sits right now) has gotten a 4 seed, and no team with an RPI of 30 (where Gonzaga is right now) has gotten anything higher than a 5 seed. The averages are way lower, more like a 6 seed for RPI 24 and an 8 seed for RPI 30. There's nothing particular special about either of those teams to suggest that they would get moved up to the high end of the range or, in Gonzaga's case, higher than the committee ever has put a team with that RPI, not to mention that non-majors routinely get dinged in the seeding when compared to their RPIs.

Princeton is at RPI 42, and while teams there have gotten seeds better than 9, in reality they don't look like a team that's going to get seeded higher than its RPI would predict - they got to where they are by not playing good teams - they literally have no wins over any team in the RPI top 50.

And not that I think Rutgers deserves a high seed, but it's a bit peculiar that you put two teams that are way, way behind RU in RPI and that RU actually defeated during the season - Mississippi State and Princeton - ahead of the Scarlet Knights.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just an old fashioned red-ass whipping! A blowout! It shut Antonelli's big mouth up, if nothing else, yelling Kelsey! Kelsey! Kelsey! over and over and over again. And hyping Nebraska all season.

If she knew anything about Big 12 basketball, she should have seen this one coming. Nebraska played against the Big 12 North division teams twice each and played the Big South teams only once each when they were not healthy or playing their newer and younger.

8 of Nebraska's Big 12 wins came against Colorado, Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State - the dregs of the Big 12.

Nebraska is not deserving of a #1 seed and if they get it more power to them - it will make UConn's job a lot easier.

Duke is a better team than Nebraska.

It was not a Texas A&M upset as the announcers are saying. No way.....

JumpMan23

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut
Stanford
Tennessee
Notre Dame

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Just an old fashioned red-ass whipping! A blowout! It shut Antonelli's big mouth up, if nothing else, yelling Kelsey! Kelsey! Kelsey! over and over and over again. And hyping Nebraska all season.

If she knew anything about Big 12 basketball, she should have seen this one coming. Nebraska played against the Big 12 North division teams twice each and played the Big South teams only once each when they were not healthy or playing their newer and younger.

8 of Nebraska's Big 12 wins came against Colorado, Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State - the dregs of the Big 12.

Nebraska is not deserving of a #1 seed and if they get it more power to them - it will make UConn's job a lot easier.

Duke is a better team than Nebraska.

It was not a Texas A&M upset as the announcers are saying. No way.....

I agree with you on these points--still iffy about Duke v. Nebraska.

Anyhoo, Nebraska is 2006-07 Duke.

Mathies to LA 2013
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Anyhoo, Nebraska is 2006-07 Duke.

Yup, undefeated until conference tourney semis. We can expect a loss in the Sweet 16 now? Only difference is Nebraska was not ranked one.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Nebraska still gets a #1 seed. Then we see if they can hold off their #2 to make it to the final 4.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Which means they went 8-0 in games among the other eight, still more wins than any other team (Oklahoma 7-5, Baylor 6-6, Texas A&M 6-6, Texas 6-6, Iowa State 4-4, Oklahoma State 5-7, Texas Tech 2-10)...

FS02

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They earned a #1 seed.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Which means they went 8-0 in games among the other eight, still more wins than any other team (Oklahoma 7-5, Baylor 6-6, Texas A&M 6-6, Texas 6-6, Iowa State 4-4, Oklahoma State 5-7, Texas Tech 2-10)...

You're a genius! (Well I'll be.....)

(And don't forget to add in a Texas Tech win to those 8 big wins!)

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they're still a #1. Only a first-game loss seems likely to derail them.

That said, if they don't get a #1, Notre Dame is a good choice.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/13/10 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nebraska is clearly still a number 1 seed, but it would seem they now drop to the fourth #1. That should mean a semifinal game against UConn.

On the other hand, the Texas A&M victory should guarantee a number 2 seed for the Big 12, either them or Oklahoma. Now if Oklahoma St. wins the Big 12 I may have to reconsider.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/13/10 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, will Nebraska still be a #1 seed? Or will they be bumped out by Duke or Ohio State?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/13/10 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
So, will Nebraska still be a #1 seed? Or will they be bumped out by Duke or Ohio State?

They're still a #1--just not as glamorous as they were 24 hours ago...

Mathies to LA 2013
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/13/10 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nebraska has the RPI that will help them, maybe clinch it. And the Committee may add some points for a team not usually in the running.

Wish them the best........

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/13/10 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Nebraska has the RPI that will help them, maybe clinch it. And the Committee may add some points for a team not usually in the running.

I think they're still a #1, but the committee is remarkably unsentimental (and, you could say, acts like it has no memory of past tournaments at all sometimes).

njjosh, I see you pick Duke and Ohio State over Notre Dame for the spot if the Cornhuskers don't get it. Are you figuring the conference tournament wins are significant enough to make the difference? Otherwise, both of them look worse than the Irish to me, particularly if you discount the 3 losses to UConn (as seems quite possible).

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 03/13/10 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="stats47"]
toad455 wrote:
Iowa St.
Georgetown
Gonzaga
Hartford

Shocked
Oh my, if the Lady Zags got a #4 seed, I would just die...

I love my Bulldogs, but I think the AP has been a bit generous with their ranking of the Bulldogs. I don't think the Selection Committee will be so generous, I'm just hoping for an 8 seed.[/quote

Why would you want them to get an 8 seed? Do you want them to win just one tournament game? I would prefer a 12 seed, at least you could have a chance at the Sweet 16.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/13/10 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a team has only one loss in the entire season and goes through the regular season of the top-ranked RPI conference undefeated, they had better be a No. 1 seed. Especially considering how over-seeded the Big 12 always is, the Committee will have SERIOUS explaining to do if they drop Nebraska.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/10 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basically the worst seed is of course the 16, but then you don't want to be an 8 or 9 because of 2nd round matchup with #1. Beyond that you'd rather be a 6 or 7 than a 4 or 5 just because it's much better to be on the side of the bracket with #2. At least that's how I think about it especially this year where there's a pretty big jump down after the top few. I think it'll be a crap shoot for winners on the 2-3 side in most brackets.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/13/10 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two things:

1: Nebraska is still a top seed because it is really hard to go undefeated through the regular season, and they still don't have any bad losses.

2: Okay, you're right I would rather have the Lady Zags be a 12 seed than an 8 seed, but regardless, Gonzaga will receive their highest seed ever in this year's tournament.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: