RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2010 A-10 Tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/07/10 9:48 am    ::: 2010 A-10 Tournament Reply Reply with quote

Top 4 seeds advance to the Semis:

#1 Xavier faces #4 Charlotte in the first game today (on CBS-C at noon). Xavier should take this one. I'd be surprised if it was all that close.

2nd semi has #2 Dayton (Go Flyers!) facing #3 Temple (2:30 on CBS-C). Flyers beat the Owls in the regular season, but Dayton was playing at home. On a neutral court, it could IMO go either way. Could be a real interesting game to watch. These are 2 pretty evenly matched teams, and both should make it to the NCAAs this year regardless of the outcome.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/07/10 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier has not been playing well lately, mostly because of turnovers. They're tied with Charlotte at 21 at halftime. 14 of the 49ers' points are off XU turnovers.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 03/07/10 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously Xavier is considered the 5th best team in the country Question

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/07/10 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:

today (at the A-10 tourney) was the first time I saw them play LIVE this season, so admittedly I'm not an expert. but a #5 ranking?!!! NOT if today was typical of their performance.

I just came from the ACC tourney yesterday, and the ACC's best, Duke, and FSU (with a healthy Monroe) are way better...even though they are both behind X in the rankings.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/07/10 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, today was obviously one of their worst performances of the season. They beat Charlotte by 20 a couple of weeks ago. They've been bad lately, but they also haven't lost since 2009. Are they 5th — probably not — but it's not like there's much of a difference between the teams ranked 5-15, and the rest of them have all lost games since X has.

snowstormxu

PostPosted: 03/07/10 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

today (at the A-10 tourney) was the first time I saw them play LIVE this season, so admittedly I'm not an expert. but a #5 ranking?!!! NOT if today was typical of their performance.

I just came from the ACC tourney yesterday, and the ACC's best, Duke, and FSU (with a healthy Monroe) are way better...even though they are both behind X in the rankings.

Unfortunately, you usually move up in the polls when the teams ahead of you lose. It really has nothing to do with the entire body of work and who you play throughout the season. The RPI is much more representative of where teams stand and how good they are in my opinion. As a Xavier fan, I can honestly say that this is not a #5 team. They are probably a 10-15 team. X's RPI is about 13, which is probably where they should be ranked.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/07/10 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Well, today was obviously one of their worst performances of the season.

then that explains a lot about my reaction to seeing them today. I kept thinking while watching them that as a top-10 ranked team they MUST be better than they were today.

but, in any event, they won and they advance to face Temple tomorrow (who beat my team, Dayton, in OT in the other semi-final) for the A-10 title. congrats to Xavier & Temple.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/07/10 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snowstormxu wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

Unfortunately, you usually move up in the polls when the teams ahead of you lose. It really has nothing to do with the entire body of work and who you play throughout the season. The RPI is much more representative of where teams stand and how good they are in my opinion. As a Xavier fan, I can honestly say that this is not a #5 team. They are probably a 10-15 team. X's RPI is about 13, which is probably where they should be ranked.

+1. I agree that a 3 seed is probably fair if they win tomorrow, or a 4 if they lose. I do think that they've not played as well in the past couple weeks as they were playing in January and early February.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/08/10 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier jumped out to a 14-0 lead on Temple in the first 5:00 of the championship game; now 16-6 Musketeers.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 03/08/10 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
snowstormxu wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

+1. I agree that a 3 seed is probably fair if they win tomorrow, or a 4 if they lose. I do think that they've not played as well in the past couple weeks as they were playing in January and early February.

I've seen them play a few times. But I know if I'm a 13 or 14 seed this would be the team that I would want to play since you know the game will be close. Looking at their wins they all seem pretty close so you know you could at least a have of getting the upset.

It's to bad the mid-majors couldn't schedule at least a tough OOC game in February instead of the easy cupcakes in conference.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/08/10 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier escapes 57-55 in OT

Most people hate poetry
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/08/10 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evidently Temple hasn't changed much from when Staley was the head coach. They can't play offense for their lives and have to win games in the 50s and 60s.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/08/10 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Evidently Temple hasn't changed much from when Staley was the head coach. They can't play offense for their lives and have to win games in the 50s and 60s.

It's still mostly Staley recruited players.

Most people hate poetry
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/08/10 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carbon copy of Xavier's previous few games. They're still winning, but barely.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/08/10 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You look at them and think they should be better, but they def have some problems. I mean, their twin towers should be able to dominate and they do...sometimes. And their guards look good....sometimes. They have big lapses. Not sure about the coaching but based on every thing else, it looks suspect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: