RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Such strong feelings....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YankeeVol

PostPosted: 03/05/10 12:45 pm    ::: Such strong feelings.... Reply Reply with quote

I've noticed that people really seem to dislike, even hate, Brenda Frese and McCallie at Duke. Why is that? Is it purely a win-lose issue, or does it have to do with how they treat their players?

I don't really have an opinion, but I have noticed some strong feelings directed towards them...

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/05/10 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are just some very outspoken individuals with strong feelings against them. Like all opinions, it doesn't reflect everyone else's opinions. Opinions are what make this forum fun though - it would be boring if we all agreed.

YankeeVol

PostPosted: 03/05/10 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to say, though, some comments are pretty hateful... before I just write people off, I try to find out if there's a rational explanation.

Why isn't the same level of vitriol directed at Mickie DeMoss for dumping KY or Goestenkors for abandoning Duke, or Kelly Harper for going after Yow's job when Glance was so mistreated.... etc..... on and on....

pilight

PostPosted: 03/05/10 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Frese hate is mostly sour grapes.

The McCallie hate seems to be primarily Duke fans who are bitter at having to downgrade from Gail Goestenkors. G didn't abandon Duke, Duke abandoned her.

PostPosted: 03/05/10 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The McCallie hate seems to be primarily Duke fans who are bitter at having to downgrade from Gail Goestenkors. G didn't abandon Duke, Duke abandoned her.

I do think a share of the vitriol aimed at McCallie also has to do with her treatment of players. Anyone have a link to the bit where players have to make appointments to talk to her?

PostPosted: 03/05/10 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The difference with DeMoss and Harper is that they are perceived by women's basketball fans to be of stellar character and simply don't have too many enemies in the sport, be it former players and on the AAU/recruiting circuit. Though DeMoss certainly had a shady exit at Kentucky, she was still considered a great colleague and loved by her players.

McCallie and Frese have deservedly had more criticism and keep in mind, it's Maryland and Duke. Lots of heat in terms of men (and of course women's) basketball. I also wonder how much of their reputations are cemented by the fact that both have left successful programs (Minnesota and Michigan State) behind in pursuit of bigger jobs (not that I have a problem with that). So there's less of that "honest" and "loyal" factor going for them.

And finally, it's just really fun to pick on Brenda.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/05/10 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Not sure about the first part, but agree about the second. Duke women had a great coach who ran an exciting, fun to watch program. Duke admin did not support her cuz she didn't kiss Coach K's butt. The coach they brought in has the team playing almost unwatchable basketball, but she's got brown nosing 101 down to a T.

Back to Frese: She used shady tactics (and a jet) to get a talented group of players and an NC. The same players (minus Shay Doron) couldn't do anything after the NC (and after Jeff Walz left). Her ability to actually coach without an X's and O's guru at her side is highly questionable. Plus, her KTO worship led KTO to actually believe she could play in the WNBA. Surprise! In the WNBA, if you give up as many points as you score, you're gonna stay on the bench.

~rAf
YankeeVol

PostPosted: 03/05/10 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, being a public figure means that people pick on you, no doubt about that, it just seems VERY personal with these two.

I'll have to watch them more closely to pick up on the fodder...

I guess I have some sympathy for Brenda - I'm the mother of twins as well, and that is a serious challenge to sanity. If she's erratic, I think I can guess why.... but semi-crazy people are fun to tease.

McCallie just looks unfriendly...

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/05/10 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking for myself alone, mostly it's that I think that Frese is annoying (and she was annoying before the twins). She spends half her time on the court, counting on the refs not being willing to call a technical because they're busy doing productive things; I don't like her expressions; I just don't like her.

It doesn't help that I dislike the style her teams play - more or less no real defense and reliance on outscoring other teams. It actually was amusing to watch Maryland play Stanford in the Elite 8 in 2008, since it demonstrated what happens when you play a team with equal firepower and even the slightest commitment to defense (and, of course, the same team lost to Rutgers that season).

And, to be really frank, it irks me that she won a national title because there's no evidence that she's a good enough coach to have done so. Most teams that win national championships are lucky, but that team must have bought every horseshoe and rabbit's foot in the Free State. (Go look at the box scores if you don't know what I mean.) Her 2007, 2008 and 2009 teams had more talent than the 2006 team and failed to meet expectations, which I think is a more telling sign.

This does not, mind you, prevent me from acknowledging that she took a moribund program and made it relevant, which is a good thing, or that her players seem to love her, or that she has gotten the Terps to the point that they get mentioned on a regular basis on the morning radio sportscasts in D.C., which is no small achievement. But I still don't like her.

As for McCallie, I actually like her and find some of the criticism of her bewildering, but I'm not a Duke fan either.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/05/10 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recall reading (here, I think) that McCallie could be Rene Portland's twin when it comes to homophobia.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/05/10 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Not sure about the first part, but agree about the second. Duke women had a great coach who ran an exciting, fun to watch program. Duke admin did not support her cuz she didn't kiss Coach K's butt. The coach they brought in has the team playing almost unwatchable basketball, but she's got brown nosing 101 down to a T.

Back to Frese: She used shady tactics (and a jet) to get a talented group of players and an NC. The same players (minus Shay Doron) couldn't do anything after the NC (and after Jeff Walz left). Her ability to actually coach without an X's and O's guru at her side is highly questionable. Plus, her KTO worship led KTO to actually believe she could play in the WNBA. Surprise! In the WNBA, if you give up as many points as you score, you're gonna stay on the bench.

I totally agree on your assessment of Frese. She's quickly approaching Sylvia Hatchell territory in that her coaching career has been made by one game (and, in many ways, one shot). Like Hatchell, she hasn't won a damn thing since that NC.

I think everyone here (especially you) know what I think of Goestenkors, so I'll spare you the re-hash. Laughing

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/05/10 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
I recall reading (here, I think) that McCallie could be Rene Portland's twin when it comes to homophobia.

This is a VERY SERIOUS alligation to make on this forum without a link to evidence. So please provide one.

As for the question at hand, For Frese McCalle it's Maryland Duke that is in terms of trash talk more fierce than Duke UNC on both sides (The way JJ Redick was treated by MD fans was sickening.)

As for national vitrol. Don't forget Frese's awkward exit from Minnesota.

DeMoss was more UK fans not caring than anything else.

The Glance issue I've addressed in cold stark reality when it happened. The game passed NC State by well before Yow's cancer entered the end stages. Emotion fueled 2007 ACC Tourney not withstanding, the talent level of the Wolfpack was well behind the curve and their own standards. I went so far to say at the time that only her battle with cancer kept Yow employed during that time. Glance not getting a coach in waiting contract when Yow asked for it twice was my evidence. This was NOT a surprise is what im saying.

As for normal coach hate, Hatchell gets it for Poor scheduling and arrogance, McGuff is despised for poaching transfers, in his own words Pat Sumitt hates Geno's guts, this is a normal part of the game, and quite frankly, a GOOD THING for the sport. Sports are meant to roast coaches in a way.

PostPosted: 03/05/10 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:
Kelly Harper for going after Yow's job when Glance was so mistreated

Most people who follow the womens game know this one not to be true. It was time for the Yow era to be over and the school knew it.

PostPosted: 03/05/10 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loyalty means something.... or it should.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/05/10 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

You might be confused here. UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell is a homophobic clone of Rene Portland. I heard that straight from the very straight but not narrow parents of a very straight but not narrow Duke player who had to sit through Hatchell's anti-gay hate speech in their living room.

I haven't heard anything about McCallie being a gay bigot. I do know her politics fit with Coach K's - far to the right. Complaints about McCallie are more about being brutally harsh with some players, especially wealthy white ones. Funny, since that's what her own kids are.

~rAf
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 03/05/10 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's see how many posts I can reply too at once.

ReadyAIM: the NCAA has been looking at Maryland for 4 years now, don't you think at one point someone would have cracked? If she used a Jet to get players, which would shock me because Langhorne, Harper, Coleman, Toliver and Doron all live less than a 4 hour drive campus, it would have been found out. It took the NCAA four years to get USC and yet somehow Maryland was better at hiding stuff than a football program?

YankeeVol: Like it was mentioned, no one in Kentucky cared about hoops, plus Mickie became an assistant and not a head coach. NC State needed a change. Glance had her chance to show she could coach and essentially bottomed out. Keeping her around meant NC state would continue to struggle. There should be more outrage that Summitt routinely circumvents the rules when it comes to GAs and Assistant Coaches. Explain to me why Glance needed to be a special assistant to the head coach?

beknighted: I couldn't stop laughing that a Rutgers fan was complaining about Frese's demeanor. Has there been a day in the last five years where C. Viv didn't complain? You don't like Maryland's style of play because they try to outscore everyone? I would rather give myself papercuts than watch Rutgers play basketball. C. Viv has coached almost everyone of her teams to essentially foul on every play because "Hey, the refs know they can't foul out my whole team."

Is Brenda a great coach? No, she just makes sure she gets the right assistants.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/05/10 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:

Winning means more. Do you think Glance would have NC State in the ACC semis? No.

Mathies to LA 2013
caune

PostPosted: 03/05/10 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:

Depends on who you are loyal to, the school or the former Coach.
Coach is gone, may she rest in Peace, the school needs to do what is best for everyone, not just one assistant who stuck by the Coaches side.

PostPosted: 03/05/10 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As an AD, you aren't acting in the best interest of the girls if you do not give them the best chance to win. Glance is an awful recruiter and everyone in the ACC knew it. Harper, on the other hand, is a much better recruiter (who has credibility in the Deep South thanks to her UT pedigree) and has enough X's and O's to get by.

I have a distant cousin who played for Kay and loved just about every moment of her time there. She was a great woman by all indication. However, she was a little too loyal for the current-day cutthroat atmosphere of the ACC. Glance should've long been replaced by a more dynamic recruiter.

It's highly unfortunate that Kay had to lose her battle with cancer so soon. Lucky for NC State, though, their program picked up faster than they imagined. Those girls deserve to have the best shot at winning games based on what they've had to endure during their college careers.

Mathies to LA 2013
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/05/10 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
beknighted: I couldn't stop laughing that a Rutgers fan was complaining about Frese's demeanor. Has there been a day in the last five years where C. Viv didn't complain? You don't like Maryland's style of play because they try to outscore everyone? I would rather give myself papercuts than watch Rutgers play basketball. C. Viv has coached almost everyone of her teams to essentially foul on every play because "Hey, the refs know they can't foul out my whole team."

As the kids used to say on the Intertubes, YMMV. And, hey, I get that Maryland fans would be happy with her, especially given what was going on before she got there.

And, really, is it a surprise that a Rutgers fan would prefer to see teams play some defense?

Bigorange123

PostPosted: 03/05/10 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:

I do think a share of the vitriol aimed at McCallie also has to do with her treatment of players. Anyone have a link to the bit where players have to make appointments to talk to her?

Simply put, McCallie is not a very good ambassador of the womens game. I'm trying to figure out how the heck she won ACC Coach of the year?! LMAO!!!

PostPosted: 03/06/10 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

You might be confused here. UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell is a homophobic clone of Rene Portland. I heard that straight from the very straight but not narrow parents of a very straight but not narrow Duke player who had to sit through Hatchell's anti-gay hate speech in their living room.

I haven't heard anything about McCallie being a gay bigot. I do know her politics fit with Coach K's - far to the right. Complaints about McCallie are more about being brutally harsh with some players, especially wealthy white ones. Funny, since that's what her own kids are.

I've heard this one too about Hatchell, I've also heard that unlike Portland , who hey give her damning faint praise here, always stuck to her guns on this issue, Hatchell would change her stripes and had and tolerated more than a few gay players. (Coming from a gay UNC player from an overseas corrospondent) which if thats true makes her a snake with bigger fangs than a king cobra, Just make up any speech to keep face...when I heard that that's when I went off the rails at her. Her post UNC track record with former players isn't good either, Smith is the closest thing I've seen to a model citizen so far among the head cases and admitted steroid cheats that have come from there.

Also the homophobia may be a UNC thing as a whole, lest we not forget Anson Dorrance inquiring about player's bedroom secrets before Debbie Keller (THE REAL HEROINE OF LATE 90S WOMEN'S SOCCER AND WHY I ROOTED FOR CHINA IN THE 1999 FINAL) blew the whistle and sued for sex harrassment.

PostPosted: 03/06/10 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In response to loyalty versus winning, and "winning means more", in my love-hate relationship with sports, this sentiment is what I hate the most.

Given the complexity and urgency of "real life" I hate it when the sports world boils it all down to the win-lose ratio. It kind of reminds me of the ongoing bullshit that good coaches "teach the game of life". Yeah, right. Not real life.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/10 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
I totally agree on your assessment of Frese. She's quickly approaching Sylvia Hatchell territory in that her coaching career has been made by one game (and, in many ways, one shot). Like Hatchell, she hasn't won a damn thing since that NC.

Hatchell's had three Final Four appearances. That's more than many coaches who are considered pretty good.

Marsha Sharp would be a better example of a coach defined by one game/season.

PostPosted: 03/06/10 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
DeMoss was more UK fans not caring than anything else.

i have to disagree here. we cared and still do. since uk wasn't in contention for any titles, and haven't been since val still played in the 80's, most people aren't interested in them. the uk fans on here talked about it. others did not.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: