RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Palm's latest bracket up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/24/10 10:20 am    ::: Palm's latest bracket up Reply Reply with quote

http://collegerpi.com/women/

(you need to click the 2009-2010 drop box and select bracket

Potential likely 4th meeting of CT-ND.

PostPosted: 02/24/10 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A third meeting isn't assured, let alone a fourth. ND seems to be fading and they are likely to see a St John's team that they just lost to in the BE quarters.

PostPosted: 02/24/10 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A third meeting isn't assured, let alone a fourth. ND seems to be fading and they are likely to see a St John's team that they just lost to in the BE quarters.

That fade had a lot to do with the injury to Schrader. I don't want to see them again now that she's back.

PostPosted: 02/24/10 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:

That fade had a lot to do with the injury to Schrader. I don't want to see them again now that she's back.

x_________________________

Shades

PostPosted: 02/24/10 1:21 pm    ::: Re: Palm's latest bracket up Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
http://collegerpi.com/women/

(you need to click the 2009-2010 drop box and select bracket

Or click here... http://collegerpi.com/women/10/ncaaguess.html

newkid

PostPosted: 02/24/10 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that a healthy ND is much scarier than W Va. I think ND and W Va should trade places. Tennessee's practically got a walk into the FF in this bracket, imo.

Duke v Texas in the Sweet 16. I'd buy tickets to that!

Shades

PostPosted: 02/24/10 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
I agree that a healthy ND is much scarier than W Va. I think ND and W Va should trade places. Tennessee's practically got a walk into the FF in this bracket, imo.

Baylor would have a chance to avenge their early season loss to Tenn. Smile

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/24/10 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisconsin? Texas Tech?

What is the world coming to?

PostPosted: 02/24/10 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Wisconsin? Texas Tech?

What is the world coming to?

The only explanation I can think of for Wisconsin is that he believes the B10 will get at least three teams in regardless of how weak the conference is. Whether or not the B10 is as bad as people think is another matter entirely.

Texas Tech is a hard case. They have a bad conference record, but some nice wins and no bad losses.

PostPosted: 02/24/10 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
newkid wrote:

Baylor would have a chance to avenge their early season loss to Tenn. Smile

Not to mention the infamous 2004 Sweet 16 game in Norman.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 02/25/10 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever the final bracket is, it will reveal the great blunder by the NCAA of abandoning the original practice of having the top four regional seeds host the opening two rounds. It appears there won't be a local team able to produce some ticket sales at Tempe, Louisville, Berkeley, Seattle, and Minneapolis. Pittsburgh too for that matter but of course UConn travels well.

The tv images of games being played in nearly empty arenas really hurts the game. And fans of many of the top 16 teams who don't have the money or time to travel hundreds of miles get cheated.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/25/10 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
Whatever the final bracket is, it will reveal the great blunder by the NCAA of abandoning the original practice of having the top four regional seeds host the opening two rounds. It appears there won't be a local team able to produce some ticket sales at Tempe, Louisville, Berkeley, Seattle, and Minneapolis. Pittsburgh too for that matter but of course UConn travels well.

The tv images of games being played in nearly empty arenas really hurts the game. And fans of many of the top 16 teams who don't have the money or time to travel hundreds of miles get cheated.

Many early round men's games are played in front of empty seats. Doesn't seem to affect them.

They should do eight sights, hosted by the highest seeded teams that win their conference's automatic bid.

PostPosted: 02/25/10 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

They should do eight sights, hosted by the highest seeded teams that win their conference's automatic bid.

I could get behind that - if we can figure out a way to make the sites host, and support them financially and organizationally.... I just think the turn around would be hell on everyone --

PostPosted: 02/25/10 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
pilight wrote:

I could get behind that - if we can figure out a way to make the sites host, and support them financially and organizationally.... I just think the turn around would be hell on everyone --

It wouldn't be any worse than having the top seeds host. It gives teams that are in anyway an extra incentive to win their conference tournaments. It eliminates buying home advantage and the chance of a host sight not having their home team get in. And if major conference coaches start bitching about having to play on some lower seed's home floor, just remind them that they could have avoided it by winning their conference tournament.

PostPosted: 02/26/10 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:
pilight wrote:

It wouldn't be any worse than having the top seeds host. It gives teams that are in anyway an extra incentive to win their conference tournaments. It eliminates buying home advantage and the chance of a host sight not having their home team get in. And if major conference coaches start bitching about having to play on some lower seed's home floor, just remind them that they could have avoided it by winning their conference tournament.

Wait, so are we talking the #1 and #2 seeds host? or the teams 8 conference champions all host, so Gonzaga, Middle Tennessee etc. would theoretically host as a lower seed? Explain this to me!

pilight

PostPosted: 02/26/10 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
pilight wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:
pilight wrote:

Wait, so are we talking the #1 and #2 seeds host? or the teams 8 conference champions all host, so Gonzaga, Middle Tennessee etc. would theoretically host as a lower seed? Explain this to me!

The top 8 conference champs host. So yes, teams like Gonzaga or Middle Tennessee could host as lower seeds.

PostPosted: 02/26/10 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like this. So this year, per conference RPI:

Non-Conference Overall
Rank Conference W L Pct RPI SOS RPI
1 Big 12 133 29 0.8210 0.6128 0.5434 0.6140
2 ACC 139 43 0.7637 0.5888 0.5304 0.5925
3 Big East 166 43 0.7943 0.5887 0.5202 0.5918
4 SEC 116 38 0.7532 0.5870 0.5316 0.5848
5 Big Ten 90 30 0.7500 0.5969 0.5458 0.5817
6 Pac-10 71 39 0.6455 0.5794 0.5574 0.5625
7 Mountain West 66 43 0.6055 0.5270 0.5008 0.5305
8 Colonial 79 54 0.5940 0.5226 0.4988 0.5245

Let's say it goes like this:
Lincoln, Nebraska (Host: Nebraska)
Durham, North Carolina (Host: Duke)
Storrs, Connecticut (Host: UConn)
Knoxville, Tennessee (Host: Tennessee)
Columbus, Ohio (Host: Ohio State)
Palo Alto, Calif. (Host: Stanford)
Forth Worth, Texas (Host: TCU) (or Salt Lake City or San Diego)
Norfolk, Virginia (Host: ODU) (or Philly or Harrisonburg, VA)

Cool. I like it - and interestingly, Gonzaga or Middle Tennessee wouldn't quality as hosts.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/26/10 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Using the RPI for anything is stupid; using it to determine host schools is mind-numbingly dumb. The Big 10 is the number 2 conference based on non-conference games but drops to fifth when conference games are included. HUH!

The Big 10 and Pac 10 teams always drop throughout their conference season because they play more conference games. Playing more games against better teams should not be penalized.

This idea is so incredibly moronic that the NCAA could adopt it.

njjosh

PostPosted: 02/26/10 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

Non-Conference Overall
Rank Conference W L Pct RPI SOS RPI
1 Big 12 133 29 0.8210 0.6128 0.5434 0.6140
2 ACC 139 43 0.7637 0.5888 0.5304 0.5925
3 Big East 166 43 0.7943 0.5887 0.5202 0.5918
4 SEC 116 38 0.7532 0.5870 0.5316 0.5848
5 Big Ten 90 30 0.7500 0.5969 0.5458 0.5817
6 Pac-10 71 39 0.6455 0.5794 0.5574 0.5625
7 Mountain West 66 43 0.6055 0.5270 0.5008 0.5305
8 Colonial 79 54 0.5940 0.5226 0.4988 0.5245

Let's say it goes like this:
Lincoln, Nebraska (Host: Nebraska)
Durham, North Carolina (Host: Duke)
Storrs, Connecticut (Host: UConn)
Knoxville, Tennessee (Host: Tennessee)
Columbus, Ohio (Host: Ohio State)
Palo Alto, Calif. (Host: Stanford)
Forth Worth, Texas (Host: TCU) (or Salt Lake City or San Diego)
Norfolk, Virginia (Host: ODU) (or Philly or Harrisonburg, VA)

Cool. I like it - and interestingly, Gonzaga or Middle Tennessee wouldn't quality as hosts.

I think pilight meant the top 8 teams who won their conference tournament, not the winners of the top 8 conferences.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/26/10 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big 10 and Pac 10 teams always drop throughout their conference season because they play more conference games. Playing more games against better teams should not be penalized

this is a joke, right?!

PostPosted: 02/26/10 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

No, not by RPI or CRPI. Based on what seeds the teams get. Using last year's tournament, the host sites would have been Connecticut, Maryland, Baylor, Stanford, Ohio State, Vanderbilt, South Dakota State, and Middle Tennessee. That's two #1 seeds, two #2 seeds, a #3, #4, #7, and #8. Even SoDakSt's gym is sufficient to handle the crowds the first weekend games were drawing last year.

PostPosted: 02/26/10 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
The Big 10 and Pac 10 teams always drop throughout their conference season because they play more conference games. Playing more games against better teams should not be penalized

this is a joke, right?!

Unfortunately this isn't a joke. Playing more games in conference tend to bring conferences back to .500, so better conferences that play more conference games will always drop. The Pac 10 and Big 10 both play 18 game conference schedules and that makes the overall RPI drop. This isn't opinion, it is math.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/26/10 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

this is a joke, right?!

Unfortunately this isn't a joke. Playing more games in conference tend to bring conferences back to .500, so better conferences that play more conference games will always drop. The Pac 10 and Big 10 both play 18 game conference schedules and that makes the overall RPI drop. This isn't opinion, it is math.

This year, for the P10 it doesn't much matter. They're sixth in non-con RPI and 6th overall. The B10 is second in non-con RPI, but drops to 5th when you count conference games.

PostPosted: 02/26/10 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

this is a joke, right?!

ok, math is math. but the B10 and the Pac10 blow this year.

PostPosted: 03/01/10 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:

I suspect either or both of Gonzaga and E.Washington will be in Seattle. And Fresno State and/or UC Davis should definitely be in Berkeley. Of course that still won't sell a lot of tickets, except Gonzaga, which has a pretty good fan base. For Tempe, perhaps a Mtn West or Pac 10 team would help. Anyway these early brackets don't usually take those things into consideration...not that the final one always does either.

And I had to laugh at the comment about Tenn. getting an easy route. That seems to be true almost every year. I think Patty has friends on the committee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: