RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The MAC has begun
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/15/10 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State beat Bowling Green by around 8 points in the second round of the WNIT two years ago. A lot of the players are still around from that game. As I recall, it was a home game for the Spartans, and not surprisingly, Alyssa DeHaan & Co. dominated the paint. I don't think it's a bad draw for the Falcons -- Michigan State had trouble putting points on the board at times this year, and Bowling Green may be able to outshoot them.

PostPosted: 03/15/10 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
Michigan State beat Bowling Green by around 8 points in the second round of the WNIT two years ago. A lot of the players are still around from that game. As I recall, it was a home game for the Spartans, and not surprisingly, Alyssa DeHaan & Co. dominated the paint. I don't think it's a bad draw for the Falcons -- Michigan State had trouble putting points on the board at times this year, and Bowling Green may be able to outshoot them.

Yes it would have been a home game for MSU as they played all their WNIT games at home in 2008 winning until the final when Marquette beat them Smile.

bgsufalcon24

PostPosted: 03/15/10 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bowling Green has a long history with Michigan State in many sports, including football, hockey, and women's basketball. In fact, it was on the Spartans' floor in East Lansing that Bowling Green beat both Oklahoma State and Vanderbilt to reach the Sweet 16 in 2007. That WNIT game you guys mentioned in 2008, that was a very hard fought game but I think Michigan State just wore us down late. They did kill us in the post all game but let's face it, when the other team has a girl that stands 6'9", what the hell are you gonna do? Especially when we don't have a player over 6' on the roster?

The formula for being Michigan State is simple, we have to play solid defense, force DeHaan out of the lane, and close out on their 3-pt shooters. On offense, we need to move the ball around and try to establish the flow that we had in the first two games of the MAC tournament. Above all else our 3-pointers and outside shots simply have to fall. If they don't, BG is in big trouble because it's unlikely we'll be able to get much inside when that spartan behemoth is on the floor.

Louisville is a nice site, about 4 hours from BG so it's driveable, and it's a fantastic basketball town. I'm hoping to be able to make the trip but we'll see. If not, I'll be cheering my head off from home. GO BG! AY-ZIGGY-ZOOMBA!!!

EDIT: How about some love for the mid-major schools! Green Bay? In. Arkansas-Little Rock? In. Fresno State? In. Hartford? In by a bunch. What a great job by the committee in rewarding these teams that actually had great regular seasons and a lot of wins. Now it's on us to deliver. May a mid-major uprising descend on the brackets and bring forth a new era of parity in women's basketball.

PostPosted: 03/15/10 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bgsufalcon24 wrote:

EDIT: How about some love for the mid-major schools! Green Bay? In. Arkansas-Little Rock? In. Fresno State? In. Hartford? In by a bunch. What a great job by the committee in rewarding these teams that actually had great regular seasons and a lot of wins. Now it's on us to deliver. May a mid-major uprising descend on the brackets and bring forth a new era of parity in women's basketball.

I'm just hoping we don't have to eat our mid-major words after the first round.

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would be great if this in not just a blip to go along w/the lack of consistency of Major team dominance. Sincerely hope the committee and the powers that be in WBB in general are seeing the effects of TitlelX, the gradual but consistent rise in quality of girls and womens bball play at every level, everywhere.
Quality play empowers all of women's basketball, with increased parity demanding even higher level of play from every individual, team, and conference. And yes, allowing all teams and conferences to vie for the top players,(more of them,too) since larger% of teams can "go dancing". IMHO. Positive reinforcement.

If every midmajor doesn't win in the NCAA this yr, it statistically says nothing. If the committee continues to try to rectify the imbalances inherent in the Majors/RPI self serving system over a significant period of time and the outcome remains the same, then a different tact will have to be employed.

If they don't set us up for failure, IMO they will be pleasantly suprised, spread quality WBB even further, and appreciation of WBB w/the concurrent gain of more viewership from its only growing demographic.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 03/15/10 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNIT; Toledo at Toledo vs Pittsburgh. That winner plays the winner of Michigan vs Kent St, which I thought they tried to avoid, in their rules.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 03/15/10 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue vs EMI, also. So you were right, OUJoe, 3 MAC teams in the WNIT!

It has been so long, and they've added new rules, will have to review everything.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/16/10 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad Toledo got a home game. Especially with a Big East opponent, that should draw a good crowd to Savage. Kent State and Eastern have to travel to Big Ten schools for the first round, but I'm sure they're glad to still be playing. Three very tough opponents, but WNIT expansion reallly helped the MAC.

EDIT: Akron accepted a Women's Basketball Invitational bid to play at Wichita State, so the top 5 seeded teams in the MAC are playing post-season games.

PostPosted: 03/16/10 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's excellent! Glad the MAC's competitive reputation is spreading. Very Happy

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 03/17/10 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You will be able to watch Toledo vs Pittsburgh at 7pm on Friday, 3/19/10 at utrockets.com, at RocketVision, for FREE, if interested.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/17/10 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eastern Michigan lost to Purdue tonight in the WNIT, 56-50, in the first MAC post-season game.

That was a great idea for Toledo to offer a free videocast of their WNIT game. Just like Ohio has been doing all season!

PostPosted: 03/17/10 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The following article is regarding Toledo's Tanika Mays being considered for Regional Finalist for State Farm all American team: http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=204910239

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 03/17/10 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kind of sorry, in a MAC way, that EMI lost to Purdue, but only by 6 pts to a BigTen team. And at Purdue! Not to shabby. Wink

BallState1984

PostPosted: 03/18/10 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
Kind of sorry, in a MAC way, that EMI lost to Purdue, but only by 6 pts to a BigTen team. And at Purdue! Not to shabby. Wink

Not to be a buzzkill, but Purdue is not that strong this year.

PostPosted: 03/18/10 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Prochaska, for the second consecutive year, is a regional finalist for the State Farm Coaches' All-America Basketball Team.

She also is mentioned in an article on ESPN.com, as one of the 5 players to watch...I see there is already a thread for that on the board.

I will be leaving tomorrow afternoon for Louisville to cheer on the Falcons. Best of luck to all of the MAC teams.

bgsufalcon24

PostPosted: 03/18/10 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shame to hear about EMU falling to Purdue yesterday. By the sounds of it they were in it all the way but couldn't close the deal.

Hoping for Toledo and Kent State to bring back wins Friday, although it would be a little strange for them to face each other again in the 2nd round. (Why the WNIT set it up like that, I have no idea).

Bowling Green had a pep rally this afternoon to send off the team to Louisville. There's actually going to be a free bus service for students that day, if any of them are actually awake at 6:30am Saturday to take it.

PostPosted: 03/18/10 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a great idea, BGFalcon! Free bus service (if conscious) for students to NCAA game! Would like to see that(or a nominal fee), for some regular season games and/or any MAC playoff games for Toledo games, students and Rocket Fans! Very Happy

I know UT WBB is just getting back into competitive form, for playoffs etc... but we heard from many fans who wanted a lift to Cleveland. A charter bus was first offered with $ requirements.

By semi-finals, there was such a clamour for rides, they could have filled a bus and then some. By then, most LRockets/Ignitor committee members were in Cleveland.

Everyone was left to their own devices to travel(or..."on the kindness of strangers...") to Cleveland. Wink

Hope next yr, the LRockets/Ignitors will prepare for any eventuality, for both those w/$, and those less affluent(students), but certainly loud and numerous fans! Cool

By the way, my reading of WNIT rules prohibited teams playing a team from your own conference, if possible. The increase to 64 teams have probable made that scenario even more difficult to avoid.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/19/10 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Akron lost at Wichita State last night, 67-61, in the only WBI game that involves a MAC team.

PostPosted: 03/19/10 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have to offer congrats to your men's team, OUJoe! You have my dad cursing up a storm about his bracket, but he is proud of OU. Ditto!

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/19/10 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Ohio men's win was amazing because of the way the team suddenly gelled at the end of the season. Despite a 7-9 MAC record, they ran off 4 straight wins in the MAC tournament plus last night's NCAA tournament win against Georgetown. I only saw them play a few times this year, but wouldn't have predicted that kind of a streak.

The win also touched off a street party in Athens last night. Actually, not much reason is needed here to take over Court Street, but the win provided a good excuse for some revelry. The police were not amused.

Some of the sharp pencils on the Miami board (who else?) have already calculated that Ohio's win means that each MAC school will receive $18517.18 per year from the NCAA for each of the next six years, for a total of $111,103.10 per school. I wonder what a win in the women's NCAA tournament is worth to a conference?

PostPosted: 03/19/10 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like others, I've seen the $ payout of NCAA tourney wins. Let's just say, may BG have a long, deep run in March. That is a large portion of what the tourney is all about; the rich getting richer, in $, reputation, and recruits.

Ouroboros, in its negative denotations rather than its positive, renewing connotations. Hard to break that cycle, once established.

And it all goes back to BCS/football bowls. The American way;it takes $ to make $. Wink Think that it is covered in the Constitution, too, under the pursuit of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Cool

marty

PostPosted: 03/19/10 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
The Ohio men's win was amazing because of the way the team suddenly gelled at the end of the season. Despite a 7-9 MAC record, they ran off 4 straight wins in the MAC tournament plus last night's NCAA tournament win against Georgetown. I only saw them play a few times this year, but wouldn't have predicted that kind of a streak.

The win also touched off a street party in Athens last night. Actually, not much reason is needed here to take over Court Street, but the win provided a good excuse for some revelry. The police were not amused.

Some of the sharp pencils on the Miami board (who else?) have already calculated that Ohio's win means that each MAC school will receive $18517.18 per year from the NCAA for each of the next six years, for a total of $111,103.10 per school. I wonder what a win in the women's NCAA tournament is worth to a conference?

Congratulations to the OU men's team. That was an awesome display of shooting and composure last night. They looked like they went there knowing they were going to win...I think they have a great chance of making it to the Sweet 16. Go Bobcats!

I was reading the blog being posted by some of the BG's athletic department communication people...they said they were following the game in between eating, checking out the arena and film sessions, and hoped that they can take some inspiration from their MAC brethern.

They also mentioned that the hotel in Louisville was flying a BG flag and the staff all were wearing BG t-shirts...made them feel right at home. It sounds like Louisville is doing a great job of hosting this tournament site.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/19/10 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:

That game was awesome!

And for bonus Ohio-ness, the Deal or No Deal re-run I flipped to at commercials had a guy who'd been the Ohio University mascot, and part of the band was there. It was eerily apropos.

Good luck BG! I've got you in both my brackets!

PostPosted: 03/19/10 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toledo scores the first MAC win of the post-season by defeating Pittsburgh, 70-58. Michigan defeated Kent State, 69-34, so Toledo will travel to Ann Arbor for the second round game on Sunday at 2:00 P.M. Go Rockets!

PostPosted: 03/19/10 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, just back from that Toledo/PITT game! Toledo dictated tempo, w/fast offensive and defensive transition game! Not sure if we shocked PITT or what, but they looked shell-shocked, especially after that first half. One Big East team down. Cool

PITT appeared, totally, on paper, to be the physically dominant team, with 6'3, 6'5, 6'6 players and some 6ft guards. Our tallest player is 6'3.

Toledo was up by 16pts at the half, after a series of treys from everyone, esp. Jessica Williams, who contributed 18pts, with 6 treys out of 9 completed, 5 in the first half.

Naama Shafir added 23 pts, 5 assists, and 2 steals, completing 2 out of 3 treys.

Both freshmen, Yolanda Richardson and Lecretia Smith were integral in defense and offense, and although not scoring in double digits, contributed in both areas. 'Cree esp. in defense, rebounds, and all around never say die attitude.

Tanika Mays continuing knee pain constrained her normal double figure game, but she still nabbed rebs, pts, free throws and was the senior backbone to a team down to 9 players, through injuries, a well known end of season story.

Don't understand why Michigan is hosting the 2nd game, when, unconfirmed, we definitely had higher attendance than the MI vs EMI game. I had thought attendance determined that decision. Correct me if I'm wrong. Shocked
Looking forward to Sunday's 2pm game at Ann Arbor, to hopefully dispel another stereotype and move on to a third game! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: