Board Junkies Forums

Game Five: Indiana @ Phoenix 10/9/09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthernFan

PostPosted: 10/10/09 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shrrew wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Was there any special reason Lin Dunn elected not to put Hoffman back in?

6 fouls... she couldnt put her back in................ it happens.

Hoffman had 5 fouls. Dunn put her back in with about 12 seconds left in the game.

mb1

PostPosted: 10/10/09 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watched some locker room video from the PHX website (while getting overtime, no less!).

K-Ray is interviewing Coach Gaines who mentions getting a few more (Championships) and says "Penny's Coming Back" if I heard correctly (had the volume low).

That is awesome news...can anyone confirm (just after minute 27).

Congrats to PHX and IND from fans, to organizations, to sponsors, to players!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
sambista

PostPosted: 10/10/09 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SouthernFan wrote:
shrrew wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Hoffman had 5 fouls. Dunn put her back in with about 12 seconds left in the game.

. . . which, to me, is worthless. again, i ask, what was she saving her for? the only reasonable answer would be that she was saving her for a potential ot game. she'll never get that time back. hoffman could have put them up in a significant way before fouling out (if she ever would have).

PostPosted: 10/10/09 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
SouthernFan wrote:
shrrew wrote:
Queenie wrote:

. . . which, to me, is worthless. again, i ask, what was she saving her for? the only reasonable answer would be that she was saving her for a potential ot game. she'll never get that time back. hoffman could have put them up in a significant way before fouling out (if she ever would have).

Sambista, I agree with you on Hoffman and I'm soo HAPPY Corey kept Tan in the game!

If Tan were to foul out..so be it! Dunn showed a lack of confidence in Ebony when she saved their a**es a few times in this series!

Surprisingly,not one Fever player was crying going into the lockerroom! Now,once in the lockerroom I'm sure it hit them.

They played us very well and I was proud of them...bittersweet Finals for me!

Last edited by Shoots&Scores on 10/11/09 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
abontorab9

PostPosted: 10/10/09 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Just watched some locker room video from the PHX website (while getting overtime, no less!).

K-Ray is interviewing Coach Gaines who mentions getting a few more (Championships) and says "Penny's Coming Back" if I heard correctly (had the volume low).

"It's just an incredible win for us and I hope we have many more coming because Penny's coming back and these players are going to come back and we're going to add some pieces to make us better."

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/10/09 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:

oh wow..give a little champagne to Ketia and she talks..and sings... Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/10/09 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK....I had breakfast and a nap I still can't find words for last night Laughing
I do know that I'll have a silly grin on my face for weeks thanks to my team!

The videos on the Merc web or facebook pages are excellent, especially for those of us who were there and kinda missed some shit in the mass hugging and jumping and screaming we did when the buzzer sounded.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

has anyone posted this article from the NY Times...it's some good reading!
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/sports/basketball/10wnba.html?_r=1

PostPosted: 10/10/09 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

in the post game interview on nbatv she was asked about not putting ebony back in. her explanation was that ebony had lost her composure after that 5th foul. so extrapolating, it took her until 12 sec. left in the game to get it back? Confused but lets be real, ebony was not the same player from the prior games. that said, its certainly debateable that wirth did any better. although while she was in, i think she did nail a 3.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BIG UPS TO THE MERC!! and fever. great series. lots of back and forths. in fact, doing some quick math, averaged out, each game was decided by a mere 7 points! now, that's entertainment! Smile

PostPosted: 10/10/09 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
sambista wrote:

in the post game interview on nbatv she was asked about not putting ebony back in. her explanation was that ebony had lost her composure after that 5th foul. so extrapolating, it took her until 12 sec. left in the game to get it back? Confused but lets be real, ebony was not the same player from the prior games. that said, its certainly debateable that wirth did any better. although while she was in, i think she did nail a 3.

i did think about that. but i'd have told her in immense twang that she had till the next timeout to pull herself together and get her head back in the game. then again, i'm sure dunn knows her better than i . . . maybe she knew she was lost to emotion.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
has anyone posted this article from the NY Times...it's some good reading!
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/sports/basketball/10wnba.html?_r=1

T4P this cuane.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just on the Mercury website and they were asking what was the biggest factor in the team winning the final game? 42% of the people polled said Tan's three pointers. I think that swung the momentum back in the Merc favor because the Fever were coming on strong but I thought DT finally having a MVP type game was a major factor. Or Cappie being able to come back after getting hitting in the eye.

What do you guys think? You can go to the site and take the poll.

Last edited by cherrystreet on 10/10/09 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/10/09 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
sambista wrote:

If we're going to criticise Dunn's moves, I don't think the most obvious one was Hoffman not getting back in the game last night. Considering how effective she was whenever she got decent minutes in this series, you have to wonder why Davenport barely played in three of the games. I also thought they should've just gone to Catch at the 4 last night if Hoffman wasn't going to be put back in. Then you can insert someone like Dixon in the backcourt, who has the chance of getting hot and putting points on the board from outside, something that would've been very useful considering how atrociously Douglas was shooting. Or alternatively you can play Tully and January at the same time, giving you both the veteran presence and the scorer on the floor together. Phoenix's small lineups always give you the option of going small yourself if it might end up creating an advantage, but Indy never even tried it..

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/10/09 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whole Hoffman thing is a very interesting coaching situation ...

So you've played with two posts all year long, and Tammy Sutton-Brown has been very effective in the series. Hoffman gets in foul trouble, and all of a sudden Jessica Davenport thinks she's back at Ohio State and starts making everything.

My inclination would have been to do what Dunn did: Ride Davenport as long as she kept producing, and keep TSB in the game as long as she was doing what she needed to do.

And if they go three bigs, then who guards Penny Taylor? And if you sit both Tully and January, who guards Pondexter, and who brings the ball up?

My question with Wirth was more about why Dunn didn't use Tamecka Dixon in that spot, but maybe she felt Wirth was a better defensive matchup with Taylor and/or Taurasi. And she did hit that shot, though why she wasn't beyond the line is a mystery to me.

But certainly you could argue that Hoffman should have replaced Davenport or TSB in those last few minutes, though I don't know if you would have gotten any more production.

Finally, the officiating was shaky, and favored Phoenix, but there have been some big blown calls in the MLB postseason, and 1) baseball's easier than basketball, and 2) those are better officials, if you consider salary and prestige. If they can't get it right, then why would we expect the WNBA to be any better? It's just the way things are, sadly enough ...

PostPosted: 10/11/09 4:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To my Mercury, CHIPS & SALSA baby Very Happy
To the Fever, you're a very good team and you scared the crap out of us. Laughing Maybe we'll meet up again in the playoffs Wink

PostPosted: 10/11/09 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linzin wrote:
Queenie wrote:
OMG, Linzin, your avatar. If I fall off the couch laughing, I'm blaming you.

Would the Pod People please return the real Katie Douglas? And the Jessica Moore whose intangibles we've heard about all season? 'cause Douglas blew the last couple of games, and I can't remember the last thing Moore did that wasn't made of 100% pure fail.

Thank you, you're the only person who seems to have noticed my avatar changed. Laughing

Unfortunately, that rather is the real Katie Douglas. Katie Douglas is a player with superstar skills and a third-option-on-the-team mentality. She can't handle being the one who HAS to make that shot. I rather like her a lot but even I can admit that she is a bit of a choker.

Dunno about Moore though.

I noticed your avatar...and chuckled! Very nice!

It looked as if Katie plugged into her "Surrogate" as I have prayed to God to have our stars unplug from their "Surrogates".

Watching the game yesterday...after Katie missed those crucial 3s at the end she looks "zombie-like"! (Or maybe I attend too many movies Very Happy )

A GREAT SERIES INDEED!

PostPosted: 10/11/09 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't think KT's 3 would have been so crucial had TSB hit some of her layups and had played some d on Tan. i thought she was good in stretches but missed too many open looks from 3 ft.
i would have put Hoffman in and taken TSB out.

PostPosted: 10/11/09 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

potd41 wrote:

If you watch the locker room after party video there ARE chips and salsa in room...although they probably got soggy from all the champagne flying!

PostPosted: 10/11/09 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24duzitall, on that first shot TSB ran out on Tan. Smith faked the shot and let her go by. On the second shot, Tammy probably thought that Cap wasn't going to give the ball up. Who would not have doubled on Cap? Tan was just able to hit two big shots.

Really Tammy was the one that ignited the Fever at the beginning of the game. It wasn't her fault it went south. People always on here giving her a hard time. Okay, the Mercury will give you guys Ohlde, Brooke, and Mazz for TSB. That way they can keep Le'coe. (PT, Tan, Bonner, TSB, Le'coe) I'll take it. Does Tammy have to be a starter or can she split time with Tan?

Just joking but I would really take that.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/11/09 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Fever settled for jumpers instead of driving inside.

They [the coaching staff] didn't learn anything from the loss on Wednesday at home.

Oh well, May will be here soon...

sambista

PostPosted: 10/11/09 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

They [the coaching staff] didn't learn anything from the loss on Wednesday at home.

i'm not even close to being a bball analyst, but it seemed to me that while dunn was admonishing them to drive after the half, the fact is that they needed to catch up. as the much-maligned carolyn peck pointed out, you ain't gonna win when your opponent is shooting 3s and you're trading 2-point baskets. driving inside would've worked earlier in the game, but not toward the end.

PostPosted: 10/11/09 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

i'm not even close to being a bball analyst, but it seemed to me that while dunn was admonishing them to drive after the half, the fact is that they needed to catch up. as the much-maligned carolyn peck pointed out, you ain't gonna win when your opponent is shooting 3s and you're trading 2-point baskets. driving inside would've worked earlier in the game, but not toward the end.

Theoretically, steals would make up for that... Confused

Had the Fever played their game all along, they wouldn't have been in that situation at the end.

potd41

PostPosted: 10/12/09 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
potd41 wrote:

If you watch the locker room after party video there ARE chips and salsa in room...although they probably got soggy from all the champagne flying!

Thanks c for the info. Oh how funny. Dee must have requested them Wink Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: