RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Game Five: Indiana @ Phoenix 10/9/09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballgrl

PostPosted: 10/09/09 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Merc. This was indeed a great, great series and I am sad to see it end. My heart just aches for Catch but she seems to be taking it well, in public at least. The sad thing is that one of these teams had to lose and they both played long and hard. Too bad we couldn't have had co champions. The rookies, January and Bonner played well this series. How about Davenport, she really showed up. DT, Cap, Penny, and Catch were great as usual and Sutton Brown was fantastic tonight.

I would feel better about this championship if I had been really rooting for one team. However it is kind of bitter sweet because I liked both these teams and every time I feel good about the Merc's win I also feel sad about the Fever's lost. Anyway it has been a great season and a great series. Very Happy

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/09/09 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
oh also...

I'm so happy, Dee gets to meet her man *Obama* ..after eight years of forcing a laugh and hugging G.W....

Yes!!
Hopefully he laces 'em up for the occasion so she can take him to school Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 10/09/09 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a series. Just what the doctor ordered. Congrats to all involved, and many, many thanks! (Well, except the refs. You annoy me.)

What a game for Jess. Very Happy! *pops the #50*

Was there any special reason Lin Dunn elected not to put Hoffman back in?

OMG, Linzin, your avatar. If I fall off the couch laughing, I'm blaming you.

Would the Pod People please return the real Katie Douglas? And the Jessica Moore whose intangibles we've heard about all season? 'cause Douglas blew the last couple of games, and I can't remember the last thing Moore did that wasn't made of 100% pure fail.

Carolyn Peck is disconcertingly fond of Katie Douglas. If I were Mr. Giapalakis, I'd be worried.

I gotta say, Taurasi really had fun in the postgame. Has anyone seen any pics of her putting the cap on the trophy? Or of her holding up the Finals MVP award for all her teammates to touch?

Don't want it to be over. It can't be over. Why is it over? It shouldn't be over.

PostPosted: 10/09/09 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a fantastic finals series. Congratulations to the Mercury, they are deserving champions, they are a great TEAM. And congratulations to the Fever too because this series has really put the W on the map.

I just love Penny! There is something so very sweet about seeing a super tough chick who gets beaten up all series and doesn't shed a tear and then totally loses her shit 'cos her team are the champs! You rock PFT Very Happy Luuuc I heart your new avatar.

braveniler58

PostPosted: 10/10/09 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was an amazing game.

Amazing series. Amazing performances. Shitty refs. MVP performances.

This has been the best series in WNBA history, that's for sure. We just witnessed history, I don't think anybody will come close to this year's for a long while.

Congratulations, Dee, Cappie, Penny, Temeka, Tangela, Le'Coe, DeWanna, Ketia, Nicole, Kelly, and Brooke! Congratulations Coach Gaines, the assistant coaches, Anne Meyers, Robert Sarver, the city of Phoenix and all Mercury fans!!!

Thank you for an absolutely amazing series, Indiana. Win or lose, the WNBA will be in its best shape because of this Finals. Thank you Tamika, Katie, Briann, Ebony, Tammy, Tully, Christina, Jessica M., Jessica D., Shay, and Tameka!

GO PHOENIX MERCURY!!!!!

Dee, make sure you have a designate driver tonight.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SWEET! Best birthday present a girl could ever ask for.
THANK YOU MERCURY! Luv every single one of you and you are so deserving of this championship.

Linzin

PostPosted: 10/10/09 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Would the Pod People please return the real Katie Douglas? And the Jessica Moore whose intangibles we've heard about all season? 'cause Douglas blew the last couple of games, and I can't remember the last thing Moore did that wasn't made of 100% pure fail.

Thank you, you're the only person who seems to have noticed my avatar changed. Laughing

Unfortunately, that rather is the real Katie Douglas. Katie Douglas is a player with superstar skills and a third-option-on-the-team mentality. She can't handle being the one who HAS to make that shot. I rather like her a lot but even I can admit that she is a bit of a choker.

Dunno about Moore though.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate to tell you that I'm not going to hate to tell you that I told you they'd win. Wink

I needed this series badly. They played for a trophy and a ring. I watched for inspiration, hoping that their drive and fierce spirit would rub off.

You know, we talk all the time on this board about how we love this game and the league. But tonight it was abundantly clear that the WNBA is great because of its parts. Every player, coach, assistant, equipment manager, and towel girl make the WNBA what it is today. I was reminded tonight how great it is to be a fan cheering for my team. But I knew that it didn't matter if my team scored more points at the end of 40 minutes.. in big and little, subtle and obvious, direct and indirect ways...we all won. Some of us just didn't have to snort confetti.

I.Love.This.Game.
I.Love.This.League.

toxichazard

PostPosted: 10/10/09 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linzin wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Thank you, you're the only person who seems to have noticed my avatar changed. Laughing

I TOTALLY NOTICED. But it's not like I have to point it out to you. Do I?

YOU NEED TO ADD PENNY IN THERE.

storminsf

PostPosted: 10/10/09 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Linzin wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Thank you, you're the only person who seems to have noticed my avatar changed.

I guess Dee is no longer embarassed or has that been off for a while too? And, Dee needs a finals mvp thing now. And, if you add Penny, you might as well throw in Swin Cash and you can have both big threes! Very Happy

Long Live the WNBA!

GO STORM GO!!!
Linzin

PostPosted: 10/10/09 2:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

storminsf wrote:
I guess Dee is no longer embarassed or has that been off for a while too? And, Dee needs a finals mvp thing now. And, if you add Penny, you might as well throw in Swin Cash and you can have both big threes! Very Happy

Ahaha, my avatar is a smash hit! *coughs*

No, Diana's face was changed along with Cappie's hair. But that wasn't embarrassed, dude, it was drunk! Laughing

PostPosted: 10/10/09 2:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toxichazard wrote:
Linzin wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I don't think I can capture Penny's hotness in Scribblenauts form. Sigh.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 3:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

emibaby wrote:
I hate to tell you that I'm not going to hate to tell you that I told you they'd win. Wink

I needed this series badly. They played for a trophy and a ring. I watched for inspiration, hoping that their drive and fierce spirit would rub off.

You know, we talk all the time on this board about how we love this game and the league. But tonight it was abundantly clear that the WNBA is great because of its parts. Every player, coach, assistant, equipment manager, and towel girl make the WNBA what it is today. I was reminded tonight how great it is to be a fan cheering for my team. But I knew that it didn't matter if my team scored more points at the end of 40 minutes.. in big and little, subtle and obvious, direct and indirect ways...we all won. Some of us just didn't have to snort confetti.

I.Love.This.Game.
I.Love.This.League.

As a cynical being in a materialistic world I'm trained to be doubtful. I'm told history is usually made over long periods, and not in moments.

But I have to say, if THIS series didn't prove to anyone that the women's game is worth supporting, I really can't imagine what will...

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 10/10/09 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linzin wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Unfortunately, that rather is the real Katie Douglas. Katie Douglas is a player with superstar skills and a third-option-on-the-team mentality. She can't handle being the one who HAS to make that shot. I rather like her a lot but even I can admit that she is a bit of a choker.

Dunno about Moore though.

Linzin, I also want to tell you how much I like your avatar.

But I do disagree with you about Katie Douglas. Yes, once again, I'm defending Katie. But, well, someone has to do it. Smile

I don't think she has a "third-option-on-the-team mentality", and I think she can handle being the one who HAS to make THAT shot. She proved that in Game 1 in the last few seconds of the fourth quarter and in overtime. When the Fever needed a big shot to send that game to OT, Katie took the shot and made it. When the Fever needed points in overtime, Douglas put the Fever on her back. Yes, the Fever lost that game, but certainly not because of Douglas' mentality. The difference between Game 1 and Games 4 and 5 was not Katie's mentality; the difference was that she missed shots that she had previously made. I will agree that she became hesitant to shoot in the fourth quarter of Game 4, but then the whole team was hesitant to shoot it, not just Katie. And quite frankly, if she had kept jacking up shots and kept missing, she would have been criticized for that. But when Diana Taurasi was missing shots early in the series, nobody was questioning her mentality. When Tamika Catchings struggled in Game 1, no one was questioning her mentality. When Cappie Pondexter had a tough Game 2, no one was questioning her mentality. And really, why should they? It would be utterly foolish. But I guess it's cool to question Douglas.

Look I'm the first to admit I am a biased Katie Douglas fan. So there are not many people who wanted to see Katie have a good game more than I did. But I don't ever question Katie Douglas' competitiveness or her will to do whatever it takes to win. I have watched her play since her freshman year of college and have seen her put her teams (both in college and in the pros) on her back on numerous occasions. I have seen her take big shots in big games and make them. In these last two games she took shots and they didn't fall. It happens, even to the greatest of players. Cappie missed a put-back at the end of Game 3 that would have won the game for Phoenix. It happens.

But I'll stop here and just congratulate the Phoenix Mercury once again for their second title in two years. The Merc had their backs to the wall in Game 4 and went out and earned the title, just like they did in 2007. Very impressive feat.

ETA: Linzin, I don't want you to think this was solely directed at you, even though I quoted your post and I'm responding to you. I know you also said you rather like KT. So my post was more of a general defense of Katie. Cause again, someone has to do it. Wink

boogiezen

PostPosted: 10/10/09 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Awww... Penny ... toughen up ya big sissy! Razz

I want to see that moment again. Video link? Very Happy

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/10/09 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Awww... Penny ... toughen up ya big sissy! Razz

I want to see that moment again. Video link? Very Happy

I think I made that comment during the press conference when Penny & Cappie were at the desk.
If it's anything like the last games, WNBA.com might post up some small portions of it, but I can't see anything on their page just yet.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fantastic series. congrats to the merc, but i was really rooting for indy because they were the underdogs. (and to tell the truth, i have overdosed on dt.) they certainly proved that they were worthy opponents, that they could best phoenix on any given day.

not quite as storied as the comets era, but damn - the w couldn't have asked for a better finals run. so many new fans got plugged in.

carolyn peck apparently is a better coach in an armchair than on the sidelines. who else was screaming at the tv and lin dunn to put hoffman the freak in? what was she saving her for, for freak's sake?! if there was a second-man award, it'd have to go to hoffman. what a pleasant surprise.

and j-dav! omigod . . . i was a holdout among lib fans who wanted to ditch her in the first season in ny; i thought she just needed some mentoring, which she wasn't gonna get from patty, but i too gave up on her. so glad she found the right team, the right system. so impressive. she should've been in the game the whole time (if she had the stamina for it). which brings me to . . .

tsb. sorry, girl, but you make too damned many mistakes at all the wrong times. i don't care how many times you sparkled. you sucked when it counted.

dunn screwed up. she shoulda had j-dav and ebony in the game, not some bench warmer who wasn't ready to play the final game of the series.

if the awards weren't doled out until now, january would've been roy. what grit!

sorry, catch. and sorry, katie - you had your chances. what can we say?

except for the refs, who stunk it up real good, an exceptional finals.

p.s. my hat's off to rebecca lobo. she is the hardest-working on-air "talent" in the game.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DAMN...I think I'm at a loss for words as to how great that was last night, so close but never a doubt..ok a little doubt, ok we were shitting bricks in the first quarter.....but the ending, yeah it felt GREAT!

I'll post again once I get some coffee and read all 15 pages Wink

PostPosted: 10/10/09 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they wanted to get real creative they could have went with Ebony, TSB, and JDav. Catch and KT could have handled that for the last five minutes. The Mercury didn't have a true point. Tan Smith would have definitely fouled out and not been able to hit those momentum busting threes. That lineup for the Fever would have rocked Phoenix's world. I thought Lin flubbed up a little with the subs down the stretch. I don't think TSB messed up toward the end. She got fouled on her shot a couple times around the basket.

Nevertheless, great win for the Mercury. Good game for the Fever and a all around fun finals series. Yah!! your right sambista. It ain't like the Comets era. But is Phoenix on the brink of being a dynasty. (Cap, DT, Penny, Bonner, TJ) and few more all still young. Shit for that matter Tan is the oldest player and she is just 32.

DetroitIndyGirl

PostPosted: 10/10/09 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really proud of the Fever for battling and pushing this to 5 games. They worked hard and gave it their all. This was a fantastic series between two great teams.

In the end, Phoenix's offense was just too much for them. Cappie made some amazing shots...seems like she never misses. As good as DT is, I think Cappie gave us the most trouble in this series.

Congratulations to the Mercury on a well-earned championship. Still love my Fever and am very proud of them!

PostPosted: 10/10/09 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Merc. An fantastic series -- if only it was best of 7. Laughing

Without a horse in the race (no reference to LLL), it was easy to sit back and just enjoy some really excellent basketball... some really atrocious officiating, but still, some really excellent basketball. I will always harbor some resentment toward the Fever for how they frequently dismantle my beloved Libs, but it would have been nice to see the underdog win and for Catch to finally get her ring. I also really appreciate Linn Dunn -- I couldn't understand a word she was saying, but my god, how much hairspray does that woman use? Not a hair out of place! Would have been fun to see the Fever win, if only to see what effect spraying champagne has on that helmet of hair.

And so begins the offseason...

shrrew

PostPosted: 10/10/09 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MercuryBoFan wrote:
Those damn Fever would not give up Smile They will be back next year if they don't fold.

I will be irritated if Penny don't come back at next season.

Mercury better keep Willingham !

Ohlde if they keep her needs to hit the weights. If they don't oh well she gots a ring and earned it.

To all my Mercury fans in NC 6 you all rock and I loved sharing the play-off run with you.

To all the haters screw you Smile. LOL. J/K Smile

I'm out and will holla back in May 2010 !!!

I sit in NC6 .... 3rd row..... where were you? Do I want to know? Laughing

PostPosted: 10/10/09 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Was there any special reason Lin Dunn elected not to put Hoffman back in?

6 fouls... she couldnt put her back in................ it happens.

PostPosted: 10/10/09 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yey Mercury! What a totally fabulous exciting game! Congrats on the big win!

Yey Fever! for being a worthy opponent and giving it your all!

Coffee isn't helping me. I am going back to bed to recover! .............

PostPosted: 10/10/09 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

congrats to Phoenix... congrats to Indy on a great season and especially Catch- tremendous all around player, and sportswoman.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: