RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wrong about the W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/09 5:28 pm    ::: Wrong about the W Reply Reply with quote

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/zakks-sports-smack/

Quote:
So, like many guys, when it came to the WNBA I scoffed, dismissed and avoided it worse than a playmate does me at a Super Bowl party. The women of the WNBA could never keep up on the court with any man, yet alone with their male counterparts in professional basketball. Well, perhaps the latter is still true.

PostPosted: 10/05/09 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this the best year we've had in regard to positive press since perhaps the first two seasons of the league's existence?

shrrew

PostPosted: 10/05/09 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love it! Smile The WNBA recruits!

PostPosted: 10/05/09 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always knew we could turn them! Thanks girls, lol.

ultrasonic

PostPosted: 10/06/09 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm basing this purely on my own evidence collected over the years, but this season's series and the 2007 playoffs seem to have garnered the most positive press from reformed detractors.

I mean, I remember reading several articles/blogs published during the '07 Finals, most of them written by men who'd finally owned up to some level of fandom/appreciation for the W. When San Antonio reached the Western Conference finals, quite a few (male) sports bloggers devoted posts to their changed perspectives toward women's basketball. I also recall a few Phoenix-based newspaper articles praising the '07 Mercury, which, reading between the lines, seem to have been authored by some unlikely suspects (if I remember correctly). Likewise, I read several blogs - also written by formerly prejudiced men - supporting Detroit's title runs in '07 and '08, although I believe the posts were more plentiful in '07.

I'm going to say that if this series drags out until the end and boasts some clutch, exciting, suspenseful fourth quarters or overtimes, the '09 Finals could prove the best yet in terms of appeal and visibility.

A disclaimer here: I'm only going by my own evidence, and I don't really know the exact number of articles (or equivalent measures of visibility/positive press) published either online or in periodicals, but the '09 Finals - at least in my mind - seem to be doing a very, very good thing for the league. Fast-paced, entertaining, clutch basketball. I think it also bears mentioning that I'm a hard-boiled pessimist. Very Happy

mmaniac

PostPosted: 10/06/09 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Fast-paced, entertaining, clutch basketball. I think it also bears mentioning that I'm a hard-boiled pessimist.

I think that sums it up. I remember hearing sportsnew guy talk about women's basketball and he was like, why do I want to watch little chubby women who always fall down and can't seem to score more than 60 points.

The tempo scoring and overall quality are drawing people and I have to agree name recognition has also helped love her or hate her people know DT and some of the other players.

Attendance is also a factor, you can't say the stands are just full of lesbians and old folks, "other people" are watching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: