RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spinoff: How Great Was Katrina McClain Johnson In Her Prime?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 10/05/09 4:50 pm    ::: Spinoff: How Great Was Katrina McClain Johnson In Her Prime? Reply Reply with quote

Between 1988-95, she was considered by many to be the best basketball player in the world.

Katrina McClain is probably the best modern women's basketball player you're never heard of. She is a lean woman, but despite her frame and being only 6-2 (1,86m), McClain dominated bigger players on a nightly basis with her great hands, soft touch and the remarkable ability to get off the floor quicker than her opponents. With her uncanny abilities, whenever McClain walked into a basketball court, she was the best rebounder in the gym.

In 1988, McClain held down the middle and led the US in scoring and rebounding with averages of 17.6 points and 10.4 rebounds. With Katrina leading the way, the USA brought home the Olympic gold medal.

"I knew I'd be going up a level but I didn't know how much, everything was just so much faster. The first time I went up for a rebound in a scrimmage, I thought I had it all the way. But then to see Katrina McClain jump out of the gym and go right over the top of me and get the ball, well..." -- 6'4" Rebecca Lobo, on her experience trying to secure a spot on the 1996 Olympic team.

Realcomplicated

PostPosted: 10/05/09 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sad to say that I'm not familiar with her! She came around the time that I was in the military and didn't watch basketball that much! Sad

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 10/05/09 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the best power forwards to ever play the game.

Oh, and Ruthie's haircut Laughing

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/05/09 5:36 pm    ::: Re: Spinoff: How Great Was Katrina McClain Johnson In Her Pr Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Between 1988-95, she was considered by many to be the best basketball player in the world.

Katrina McClain is probably the best modern women's basketball player you're never heard of. She is a lean woman, but despite her frame and being only 6-2 (1,86m), McClain dominated bigger players on a nightly basis with her great hands, soft touch and the remarkable ability to get off the floor quicker than her opponents. With her uncanny abilities, whenever McClain walked into a basketball court, she was the best rebounder in the gym.

In 1988, McClain held down the middle and led the US in scoring and rebounding with averages of 17.6 points and 10.4 rebounds. With Katrina leading the way, the USA brought home the Olympic gold medal.

"I knew I'd be going up a level but I didn't know how much, everything was just so much faster. The first time I went up for a rebound in a scrimmage, I thought I had it all the way. But then to see Katrina McClain jump out of the gym and go right over the top of me and get the ball, well..." -- 6'4" Rebecca Lobo, on her experience trying to secure a spot on the 1996 Olympic team.

Genero, thanks for doing these. Katrina McClain, and I believe I mentioned this in a post about Yolanda Griffith, was the premier power forward in the game for a really long time. Would have been fun to see her go up against Griffith (actually, she probably did in the 97-98 ABL season).

Long considered the best rebounder in the women's game.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/05/09 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We only glimpsed her in the late '90s, but it was clear she was a force. Another star that only shined overseas.

PostPosted: 10/05/09 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Had the pleasure of watching her play professionally in the early 90's when she was possibly in her prime. She reinvented the PF position much like Leslie reinvented the center position. Together they annihilated Brazil in the gold medal game.
Probably the best rebounder I've ever seen.

PostPosted: 10/05/09 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have never seen her in action. But there's one thing that I've wondered about her: why did she not play in the WNBA after the ABL's demise? Was she burned out on b-ball by then? Or did she not want to go to the WNBA?

PostPosted: 10/06/09 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I recall, she had knee problems.

PostPosted: 10/06/09 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katrina McClain was, in her prime, the best forward in women's basketball. She could have very well been the best women's basketball player during her time had she not played a great deal with Teresa Edwards. The duo was nearly unstoppable at Georgia.

And she did not play in the W mainly due to knee problems.

GO DREAM!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: