RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sisters in College
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumps

PostPosted: 12/26/08 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
ddubdawg wrote:
seems like this thread morphied from current to past, but for me there was always the Mendiola sister at the University of Washington. I remember a day game, something to do with pack the house, kids' camp day, where Guiliana put up something like 44 against UCLA. It was one of the craziest atmospheres I have ever been associated with.

Ah yes, Giuliana and Giocanda Mendiola.

Gio, IIRC, was involved in a brawl between the UW Huskies and another Pac-10 team (don't remember which) when she slapped an opposing player after the post-game high-fives.

Wasn't there a huge issue between the Mendiola's, their brother and Diana Taurasi when they were all in high school?

really?? I head about them having some issues in college with other teams, but not high school

I was thinking so too Bart....It was bad enough for the California High School Association (or whatever it is called) to name a rule after them...

Found a link...

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/apr/02/local/me-mendiola2

Quote:
In the late 1990s, while the girls were at El Toro High School, officials instituted a policy known as “the Mendiola Rule” to force devoted – and often disruptive – relatives and friends to behave.

Grumps

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/26/08 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
ddubdawg wrote:
seems like this thread morphied from current to past, but for me there was always the Mendiola sister at the University of Washington. I remember a day game, something to do with pack the house, kids' camp day, where Guiliana put up something like 44 against UCLA. It was one of the craziest atmospheres I have ever been associated with.

Ah yes, Giuliana and Giocanda Mendiola.

Gio, IIRC, was involved in a brawl between the UW Huskies and another Pac-10 team (don't remember which) when she slapped an opposing player after the post-game high-fives.

Wasn't there a huge issue between the Mendiola's, their brother and Diana Taurasi when they were all in high school?

really?? I head about them having some issues in college with other teams, but not high school

I was thinking so too Bart....It was bad enough for the California High School Association (or whatever it is called) to name a rule after them...

Found a link...

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/apr/02/local/me-mendiola2

Quote:
In the late 1990s, while the girls were at El Toro High School, officials instituted a policy known as “the Mendiola Rule” to force devoted – and often disruptive – relatives and friends to behave.

Grumps

based on the story it sounds like it was an El Toro High School rule not a CIF (the governing body of California high school athletics) rule because it says the athletic director from El Toro instituted the rule not the CIF or someone from CIF

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 12/26/08 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The same UW team that included the Mendiolas also included the O'Neill's (Kellie & Kristen (the latter was on the Storm roster last season)).

Angie & Jami Bjorkland (now Schaefer).

Soon, Nneka & Chiney.

John Wooden
GEF34

PostPosted: 12/26/08 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
The same UW team that included the Mendiolas also included the O'Neill's (Kellie & Kristen (the latter was on the Storm roster last season)).

Angie & Jami Bjorkland (now Schaefer).

Soon, Nneka & Chiney.

Yes I mentioned Angie and Jami Bjorkland, they were part of the reason I started this thread Wink

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 12/26/08 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, my brain's still on vacation.

John Wooden
GEF34

PostPosted: 12/26/08 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
Sorry, my brain's still on vacation.

its cool...you should enjoy your vacation before you have to go back to the stress of work/school Wink

ddubdawg

PostPosted: 12/27/08 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is true there was some ugliness for the Mendiolas at UW and their brothers were very boisterous at home games, somtimes to the point that I wish they had been asked to leave, but what I will remember more than anything that that did on the court was what they did for Kayla Burt on New Year's Eve of '02.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/27/08 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:
It is true there was some ugliness for the Mendiolas at UW and their brothers were very boisterous at home games, somtimes to the point that I wish they had been asked to leave, but what I will remember more than anything that that did on the court was what they did for Kayla Burt on New Year's Eve of '02.

what did they do? That sounds familiar that Washington did something for Kayla Burt, but I don't remember what they did

ddubdawg

PostPosted: 12/27/08 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many of the Washington players were haning out together on New Year's Eve and Kayla went into cardiac arrest. The Mendiola's, apparently having never had CPR training (which I think every college athlete shouls have) started performing CPR on her, but going by what they had seen on TV. It kept her alive long enough for the ambulance to get there and get her stabilized. Kayla was subsequently fitted with a pace maker and about a year and a half later rejoined the team, only to have to retire officially after the pacemaker went off twice during a game. And the truly ironic part of the story was that a former UW women's player, I can't think of her name, though I can see her face, was one of the paramedics that arrived at the scene.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/27/08 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:
Many of the Washington players were haning out together on New Year's Eve and Kayla went into cardiac arrest. The Mendiola's, apparently having never had CPR training (which I think every college athlete shouls have) started performing CPR on her, but going by what they had seen on TV. It kept her alive long enough for the ambulance to get there and get her stabilized. Kayla was subsequently fitted with a pace maker and about a year and a half later rejoined the team, only to have to retire officially after the pacemaker went off twice during a game. And the truly ironic part of the story was that a former UW women's player, I can't think of her name, though I can see her face, was one of the paramedics that arrived at the scene.

that's a great story about them, thanks for sharing. Very Happy

though it is unfortunate for Kayla Burt that her career had to be cut short

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 12/27/08 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle Perkins (I believe) was the former Husky player who was one of the EMTs in the ambulance sent for Kayla.

I didn't think the Mendiolas were over the line, the ASU fans however for going after them at the road games at ASU on the other hand were completely out of bounds. (Or for chanting PLO at Steve Kerr after his father was killed overseas, or for heckling Lute Olson about his wife right after she passed away)

I was at the game that included the slapping incident and while I don't condone the action, what Gio did was pretty damn close to warranted. Loney had been running her mouth to the Mendiolas all game long (an ASU player was quoted as saying that they came into that game "afraid for their lives because the Mendiola family is in the Mafia"). A couple points that bear mentioning:

1. The Mendiolas weren't in the mafia.
2. If you're afraid for your life coming to a conference basketball game, you're an idiot.
3. If you're afraid for your life, it might not be the best idea to provoke somebody related to the root cause of your fear.

That for starters is the reason there's bad blood between UW & ASU in WBB. There's more but that's good enough.

John Wooden
UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 12/27/08 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Her younger sister, Tiffany Williams, used to play at Fresno State during her freshman year, but later transferred out of there. IIRC, she now plays in a historically black college/university in the South, but I don't remember the name at the moment.

She was on that Disney Channel show Totally Hoops, IIRC.

I remember watching that, that was cool and her team got to go to UCONN games cause Tamika was playing

I thought I was the only 1 who remembered that lol. that was a gud sho. lol

yea it was a good show, I remember watching it, I admit the first time I watched it because Tamika Williams was one of my favorite players in college at the time, and it had mentioned her or something, so that's why I started watching lol, but after that I enjoyed watching the show, it was pretty cool as it followed them through practices, games, travel, etc

I know for sure that two players from that show play collegiately. Aisha Jefferson of Michigan State, and Maria Getty of Villanova.

Cool. Thanks for the update!

Found some other players:

Alisha Grusz of Depauw University.

Michele DeVault of East Tennessee State University.

Lindsey Goldsberry of Bowling Green State University.

Ashley Brown of the University of Cincinnati.

*NOTE - Some of these players are no longer playing at the listed institution.

PostPosted: 12/28/08 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
bullsky wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Her younger sister, Tiffany Williams, used to play at Fresno State during her freshman year, but later transferred out of there. IIRC, she now plays in a historically black college/university in the South, but I don't remember the name at the moment.

I remember watching that, that was cool and her team got to go to UCONN games cause Tamika was playing

yea it was a good show, I remember watching it, I admit the first time I watched it because Tamika Williams was one of my favorite players in college at the time, and it had mentioned her or something, so that's why I started watching lol, but after that I enjoyed watching the show, it was pretty cool as it followed them through practices, games, travel, etc

I know for sure that two players from that show play collegiately. Aisha Jefferson of Michigan State, and Maria Getty of Villanova.

nice, thanks for posting the updates on some of the players

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/09/11 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I'd update this. Watching the UCLA-USC game made me think of this thread again. Both schools have sisters playing Rebekah and Rhema Gardner for UCLA and Briana and Stefanie Gilbreath of USC. In other parts of the Pac-10 there are Chiney and Nnemkadi Ogwumike at Stanford and Kimberly Brandon at Arizona State and Gennifer Brandon at California.

Also on a related note Adrianne Thomas a freshman at Arizona State is the cousin of Cal State Fullerton great Toni Thomas.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/09/11 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Freshman Katherine Plouffe's twin sister - Michelle Plouffe is a Freshman at Utah. And their older sister Andrea played for Washington.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/09/11 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=hays_graham&id=5999050

you can see Dayton sisters Kristin and Kari Daugherty today on ESPN2 at 3 PM when Flyers take on Xavier.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/09/11 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Lister a freshman at Vanderbilt has a twin sister Cinnamon who plays at Boise State.

marty

PostPosted: 01/09/11 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
bullsky wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

nice, thanks for posting the updates on some of the players

There was a third Williams sister, Tanzania (Tangy), who played for BGSU in the 1990's (now the director of basketball operations at Ohio State).

Lindsey Goldsberry played at BG from 2005-2009, and I believe her father was the coach of the Hoopstars.

ridor

PostPosted: 01/11/11 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whitny & Britny Edwards are not freshmen, they are juniors. They are fraternal twins.

Heather & Heidi Burge were outstanding players -- but I will never understand why Coach Ryan lets Heather play more than Heidi ... I'll always question THAT for decades 'til I die. However, Coach Ryan once mentioned that there were several incidents that the twins fought each other physically during the practices that the coaches had to restrain & kick them out of practices to cool off. They are pretty competitive.

Few years ago, I was on a platform waiting for MARC train to arrive at Baltimore-Washington International Airport when I recognized Heather Burge standing not far from me. I smiled and wrote down a note and walked over to say hello. Basically I wrote a brief note, "Hi Heather, you may not remember who I am -- we met 4 or 5 times when I was in high school near UVa, what brings you to DC this time around?"

Heather quickly said, "Is it easy to recognize me in a place like this?! Wow! When I saw you, you look familiar! Now I remember."

Needless to say, we sat together on MARC train en route to DC chatting about WNBA, UVa, her life blah blah blah. Today, her name is Heather Burge-Quella.

One funny thing - I asked her if it is true that she and her twin sister fought during practices, she turned beet red and said, "How did you know?" I told her that I read an article in The Washington Post many years ago and find it hard to believe. She said it is true. I also asked her if Coach Ryan was telling the truth when she mentioned in a local paper that the coaches tried to convince Heather & Heidi to gain weight but both refused. Again, Heather sheepishly nodded. It was funny, enjoyable & memorable ride on MARC train. Before we part, she wrote down, "I cannot believe that you recognize me out of blue! That was awesome!"

Nice woman. Will be always grateful that Heather & Heidi for coming to Virginia.

Oh, yeah, the high school that Heather & Heidi Burge hailed from -- Palos Verdes High School is the same school that sent Mimi McKinney & Jeffra Gausepohl to Virginia as well. All eventually contributed a lot to Virginia.

R-

ridor

PostPosted: 01/11/11 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I need to add that James Madison once had identical twins playing for Coach Shelia Moorman many years ago in late 80s. Their names are Donna & Diana Budd.

R-

IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/11/11 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Engeln, a freshman on Uconn, has a twin sister who plays for an NAIA school in Denver, Johnson and Wales.

Ashley and Brittany Wilson are freshman twins at Univ of Colo.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 01/11/11 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Almost forgot to mention Becky and Jessie O'Donohue, both of whom played at Niagara University. But they are more famous for being on reality-TV shows and Maxim (magazine) models instead.

They appeared on a special "Twins" episode of the daredevil reality show Fear Factor and were on Minute To Win It last year.

From the Minute To Win It website:
http://www.nbc.com/minute-to-win-it/photos/million-dollar-twins/5589#item=127939

Becky also was a contestant on the fifth season of American Idol.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 01/11/11 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jenny DeMuth at Indiana and Julie DeMuth at Ball State a few years back. Both wore #14.

PostPosted: 11/15/14 2:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I'd revive this thread, today the Ogwumike show has moved down to Southern California with the youngest sister Erica signing with Pepperdine, joining her sister who is currently a freshman on the team.

I think it's pretty cool that the two older sisters who are so close, as has been seen over the years play in college together and the two younger sisters, whom I would imagine are really close as well play in college together too.

http://www.pepperdinesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111414aab.html

Pepperdine open up the season on 11/15 at Nebraska, this could potentially be Olivia's college debut.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/15/14 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marina Mabrey signed with Notre Dame where she will join her sister Michaela.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: